505 Fore St.
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.zapotecarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2077728242
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00am, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Bar closes one hour after dinnner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Special Events: On new years eve. we are offering a 5 course dinner $65 per person, and additional $25 per person for tequilla and wine pairing. Reservations only available for 6pm and 9pm.
A word from Zapoteca
Authentic Mexican flavors w/ Rustic, Bold FlairContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zapoteca - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Zapoteca reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (96)special occasion (47)neighborhood gem (45)vibrant bar scene (41)hot spot (39)good for groups (39)romantic (21)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (14)notable wine list (14)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014I've been to this restuarant many times and I have yet to have a poor experience. The guacamole is wonderful, I made certain the plates on both entrees were cleaned off, the desserts were excellent, and my wife loved her drink. The only "issues" we had were that the waitress didn't stop by from the time she took our order to the time she dropped off the check (someone else brought us the food), and they had run out of desserts early so we only have a couple choices. Every table was booked so both issues were understandable and not the sort of thing we've run into before. There was a major concert in town that day so they may not have anticipated the staffing needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurantKimoDined on 8/31/2014I love this restaurant! It's gourmet Mexican. One gets all the wonderful Mexican spices & flavors in wonderfully presented and executed creative menu items. The food is extremely fresh and clean. Our service was perfect. Loved the margaritas shaken and poured tableside. We had a party of 10 and there were no complaints when we asked for separate checks. Highly recommend Zapoteca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliscious!!!Foodi2Dined on 8/31/2014Tasty salsa's. ordered the flight of salsa's but it was too much for 2 people who also wanted to get entrees. The Duck entrée was really good. The blood orange Margarita was bitter. The regular one was sweet. Will go back to try the enchilada.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JEMOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Excellent food at a fair price. The entre that I had was nothing short of right on. The flavors and presentation were well matched. A must do kind of place.Special Features:
- felt a bit rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Barely sat down and the waitress asked what I would like to drink, I told her I would like to look at the drink menu and my friend was in the rest room and I would like to wait for her. She barely sat down and the same thing. At that time we ordered our drinks, the waitress asked if we were ready to order-didn't even look at the menu yet! Ordered our meal - mine was barely warm. We just finished our meal and she asked if we would like dessert, we said no thank you - and there was the check! no time to order an after dinner drink. We went somewhere else for our after dinner drink. Not sure if I would rush backSpecial Features:
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014The food and service were both excellent. They put a very creative twist on Mexican/Southwestern food. The menu includes many seafood dishes which you don't typically find in this type of restaurant. Our server was also one of tge best we've had. He pace out tge timing of our meals perfectly and also reccomended a wine and cheese bar he thought we would enjoy as well. We live locally and we haven't heard of this place and it is something we will check out. Also, thank you Open Table, we wouldn't have found this restaurant with out you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Interesting dishes very clean and fresh. Tasty but not over whelming . Need a little more gluten free and vegetarian dishes on menu but were willing to make adjustments. Service was a little halting but over all goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On my list of favoritesSistawomanDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant was a great surprise! I have eaten in many fine Mexican restaurants in the southwest and expected the usual mediocre east coast facsimile but this restaurant is as authentic. I have never had mole or guacamole any better anywhere! The menu is creative ,and the food is beautifully presented. This is surely one of Portland's gems and that is saying something! The service was excellent and the valet parking was an additional surprise. The drinks are ice cold and exquisite, This is at the top of my list now!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/22/2014We have been coming to this restaurant since it opened and have been so happy about the " not your traditional mexican" food... But our last experience was not as great as usual. The guacamole was pretty boring ..no spice of any kind, pretty much just avacados. They have fancier guacamole and maybe that's why this was lacking. Also the carnitas have changed! We come here for the carnitas, which used to be delicious perfectly prepared chunks of pork. This time they were sort of shredded dry bits formed into a square shape! The mole was good as was the fish stew dish...but we REALLY missed those carnitas !
- LoudOtooleDined on 8/21/2014Zapoteca was fun. We had great Tequila selections, nice wine list and great starters, ceviche etc. Two of us ordered the pork dish (not ribs) whose flavor was great but sadly very dry. Used a lot if lime juice. It is very loud in the restaurant so if you are not up for speaking very loudly and saying "What" often it may not be the place for you. We will definitely go back though. Mostly the food was good, fresh and creative. Cool bar and very good service. I am sorry I can't remember our waiter's name. Although he was very busy but we never had to wait long for anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodcathyDined on 8/18/2014The food is very good.....drinks great....server knowledgable and friendly....would highly recommnedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always exceedsFoodieJimDined on 8/18/2014I've been to Zapoteca several times now,and every time I leave I question why I don't go back more often. The guacamole might be the best on the planet. The drinks are unique and delicious. The food is beyond spectacular. After dinner our party went to a hot spot for a dessert cocktail and two of my friends were raving about the black beans...BEANS???? What is usually a side dish at most Mexican establishments was a highlight here. I didn't have the beans....but I will next time! I also wish I could remember our waiter's name. She was so patient and wonderful!Special Features:
- DrinksJillDined on 8/16/2014The cocktails were excellent, with great presentation.Special Features:
- MimosasmartiniloverDined on 8/16/2014The pitcher of mimosas served during Saturday brunch was a lot of bang for your buck. The lobster tacos and crab tacos were heavenly.Special Features:
- BuenoChoosyDinerVIPDined on 8/14/2014Prompt, attentive service. The salsa selection is difficult because they are all a bit different and each one is delicious. Best chile relleno in New England. Hard to choose between the mojitos and the margaritas as well. Try both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and cocktailsMarthaVIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was fantastic as well as service and of course a terrific company with our friends. Muchas gracias !Special Features:
- Superb interesting food; noisyWinerDinerDined on 8/7/2014The food was delicious - especially recommend any of the dishes with mole sauce. Interesting, fun salsas. Superb guacamole. Attentive, warm wait staff. Only downside - with little carpeting or wall fabric, the noise level is very high. For those who are hard of hearing, even just a little, it's very difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Fun mealBigBangDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I enjoyed a dinner at Zapoteca. We really like the appetizers and the salsa sampler. The 9-chili salsa is not to be missed. We were not quite as impressed with the ceviche, but enjoyed our main courses.Special Features:
- Too noisySadlyDined on 8/2/2014The food was very good; however, it was so loud we could not talk to each at the table. I would not return unless they install acoustic tiles or I go when no one else is there.
- Overpriced.DeedeeDined on 8/2/2014Overpriced. The entrees were expensive and small. Seating is tight. I could hear the conversations from the tables next to us.
- We will certainly returnLoveCayeCaulkerDined on 8/2/2014This is our second time at Zapoteca and the first lunch. There were three of us and we decided to order two apps, three entrees, and three desserts and then share them all. The portions are nice for this process. I think if we'd ordered singly, some of the entrees wouldn't have satisfied -- but the prices were so reasonable it would be simple to add another dish. The food we were served was all very good. Our only "missing element" was heat. For a Mexican place, we thought there should be a bit more heat in the spice department. But let me hastily add that the spices they did use were delicious! In typical restaurant fashion, the cocktails were on the sugary side, but that is a personal taste.Special Features:
- Cocktails great! Food not so muchportlandeatsDined on 7/27/2014Cocktails were amazing! Food somewhat underseasoned. Beef overcooked and tough. We ordered an expensive wine to splurge but it was not available. Would go again just for cocktails but would dine elsewhere.Special Features:
- Just OKMmmmgoodDined on 7/27/2014Food was fine, neither exciting nor bad. Margarita wasn't very cold. We went a year agp,and enjoyed a very good meal, so we were disappointed this time.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Food was very underwhelming with little taste. The guacamole was extremely bland Enchiladas De Cangrejo Y Camarones has little taste with the exception of the sauce. The best part of the experience was the beans and delicious drinks which isn't enough for me to go back.
- Good Service; Good FooddarkgaelDined on 7/24/2014We had a late evening reservation, and part of the party was late arriving. The staff handled that very well, up to a point. The food that we had was delicious - enchiladas - chicken and pork. The drinks that most had - assorted margaretas seemed to be a hit. The only downside was the staff seemed ready to get out of there. As I said, our res was later, and some of the party were late, they only ended up ordering drinks. We were told the kitchen closed soon, so that aspect was a bit rushed, they had a deadline in place... not something you would expect for an establishment with their reputation...and their prices...drinks seemed on the high end. I would go back,...earlier...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, terrible service.nj31Dined on 7/23/2014Though we had a reservation we were seated in the bar at a high top, not the dining experience we were expecting. Our waitress was also the bartender which is a recipe for disaster...and it was. She didn't have the time to devote to both waiting the bar well and waiting tables well and we paid the price. This is obviously a management issue rather than a server issue. Food was slow to come out and getting a drink refilled was difficult, when the food came it was very good but not good enough to overcome the entire experience. I'd probably go elsewhere next time.
- Zapoteca... Tequila Heaven.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014Top winners on our visit were the chips and tres (3) salsas to include Salsa Verde, Salsa Roja and a surprising stunner, the Cashew salsa. Then the jalapenos rellenos de queso and finished off with Queso Fundido Con Champinones. Food and atmosphere. Check. Great flavors, the right amount and 1/2 off for happy hour could not be beat. The selection of tequila was why we initially came. To have excellent Mexican food to complement the evening was fantastic. We sipped tequila. We did a flight of tequila which came with fresh made tomatilla sangrita to cleanse the palate in a more traditional way. Nice touch. We had a couple margaritas including a special that night, pineapple and habanero. The spicier the better. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014I had heard good things about Zapoteca but we were quite disappointed. The hostess highly recommended we stay in the bar since the main dining room was very loud. The drinks were great but both entrees were bland. We most likely won't return.
- A Great Dinner!IsaacDined on 7/19/2014This is my 3rd time at Zapoteca and it keeps getting better. I was able to bring my father with me this time, he was visiting from out of town. He also considers himself a bit of a foodie. From the tequila to the apps, from the wine to the entrees, nothing disappointed. I especially liked the honesty, advise, and education we received from our server. Her knowledge and attitude made the meal that much better. Whatever the Chef is doing back in the kitchen, please continue on, because your creations are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal - and experience - againESMMEDined on 7/19/2014My parents were in town and they like Mexican food. From the salsa trio with chips, to the wine selected by the owner, to our entrees, everything was top notch. My father loves ribs and he said the ribs were some of the best he has every had...and he is 83. Halibut and chicken enchiladas were both excellent as well. We sat in the bar area, and the vibe was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014Food great, service great. Recommend! We rated noise level high but if it wasn't for one particular table it would have been moderate rating.Special Features:
- Skip The Back Boothlive2eatDined on 7/16/2014Back booth next to Kitchen is crazy small. We aren't plus size. If you aren't a size small, forget about sitting there, Beef al carbon was tough & disappointing. Have had issues with beef sourced from Pineland Farm in the past. Wolfe Neck farm product is better in our opinion. Waitstaff was very good. Margarita top shelf. Tried the lobster cerviche, not a fan. Lobster quacamole still excellent, but we noticed inconsistency with portion size from last time. We plan to return & still recommend Zapoteca. Stick with the chicken mole and don't sit at the back booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tequila lovers rejoice!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/14/2014The food is always spectacular and the list of tequila and mezcal is fantastic. Splurge for the lobster taco. it is worth every penny!Special Features:
- Go for the Drinks and the SalsasnowstopDined on 7/12/2014Pros: Service, salsa(s), margaritas (although it's not rocket science to mix fresh fruit/juice with tequila and create something tasty). Cons: Entrees. We had the shrimp/crab enchiladas - which were so very dull. They could have benefited from either a little goat cheese, fresh corn or one of their (by contrast) extremely tasty salsas. C'mon - it's a Mexican restaurant - use some heat. That said, the service was great, the ambiance was far superior to the typically brightly colored fiesta atmosphere of most Mexican restaurants, the salsas are varied and interesting - and, you get a really nice buzz from the Margaritas.
- Disappointing, bland foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I were really looking forward to trying this place after seeing it featured on a local TV show. However, we were SO disappointed in our experience. First our margaritas were way too sweet and served "up" in a martini glass rather than on the rocks–very odd. With our drinks we tried the chips and salsa, choosing 3 different salsas to try. Two of the three salsas were served warm like they'd been heated in a microwave and were totally flavorless. Next we tried the ceviche and got what tasted like fish soaked in bitter lime juice and served in stewed tomatoes with no seasoning–inedible. Finally my entree was crab and shrimp enchiladas that I couldn't find an once of crab in, and the tortillas were overcooked and tough.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014This was my second time visiting this restaurant. The first time was a little over a year ago and I did not make a reservation, this time I used OpenTable to make a reservation for me and my date but we were sat at a very small table in the corner against the wall, which was fine. The menu features many authentic Mexican dishes and also some which showcase the amazing seafood Maine has to offer. I would definitely recommend a visit. I plan on coming back again so that I can try out the extensive tequila section on their drink menuI would recommend this to a friend.
- We love ZapotecaBoldyDined on 7/11/2014Holly our server was fun and very attentive. We are frequent flyers to zap and brought 2 guests. Food and drinks outstanding. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Restuarant is a Treasurelive2eatDined on 7/9/2014Outstanding. A new favorite. I'm not a margarita drinker but I'm now a convert after sampling the blood orange margarita! Thought the lobster quacamole would be for tourists only, but was I wrong. Excellent. Tortillas are home made. Seafood stew was amazing.Special Features:
- Mexican Maine StyleAdventurousDinerVIPDined on 7/6/2014Zapoteca seems to specialize in creative, rather than traditional, or tex-mex style Mexican food. Overall, I enjoyed my entree, a huarache, but the selection seemed a little heavy on seafood-oriented entrees, I suppose because it is Maine. The salsa fresca seemed largely comprised of onions. I would probably opt for a different one next time, and there certainly is a large selection from which to choose. The portion size is smaller, but appropriately priced--a refreshing trend in a restaurant. The traditional margarita was outstanding. I would return and try dinner rather than lunch.Special Features:
- Gourmet Mexican...peckishinportlandVIPDined on 7/6/2014Fish tacos are among the best we've ever had. All entrees have a freshness and depth of flavor that set Zapoteca apart from and above other Mexican restaurants we've tried, whcih tend to have a "sameness." Sides like the mexican street corn and black bean puree are wonderful and unique. Brunch menu is great, but the lunch menu is also served during brunch.Special Features: