505 Fore St.
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.zapotecarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2077728242
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00am, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Bar closes one hour after dinnner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Special Events: On new years eve. we are offering a 5 course dinner $65 per person, and additional $25 per person for tequilla and wine pairing. Reservations only available for 6pm and 9pm.
A word from Zapoteca
Authentic Mexican flavors w/ Rustic, Bold FlairContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zapoteca - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Zapoteca reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)neighborhood gem (47)special occasion (45)vibrant bar scene (39)hot spot (37)good for groups (36)romantic (20)great for lunch (17)notable wine list (16)great for brunch (14)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Excellent food. Reminds me of Mexico. The service was attentive and knowledgeable. A lovely atmosphere, although the sound level was high, due mostly to a table for six(at the other end of the room) was the main cause. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great Portland RestaurantluvfoodDined on 9/26/2014Loved the menu and the food preparation. Great margaritas!!Special Features:
- InconsistentCliveDined on 9/26/2014Had to return a small bread/appetizer plate that was not clean, Before the mussel appetizer even hit the table it was obvious to all three of us it was bad. It never should have left the kitchen....someone there should have known. We opted not to have another figuring the whole lot was bad. The stuffed jalapeno pepper appetizer was good and entrees we good. Many misspellings in the on-line menus. Maybe attention to detail is lacking throughout.
- Great dining experience!DanD1Dined on 9/21/2014My spouse and I love to eat out in Portland, but had never had the opportunity to eat at Zapoteca. We were very pleased with our experience. Although it is Mexican food, this is no Taco Bell. The menu items were authentic dishes, well prepared and presented. Food was delicious!! The restaurant is a bit noisy, which can make it hard to hear your seatmates. No lapses in service that we could tell. Definitely would recommend this to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodfoodieonekinobeVIPDined on 9/18/2014Was just visiting Portland and was blown away with this Mexican restaurant. It totes it's tequila menu which was creative with mixed drinks. That was ok but the authenticity of the food was amazing. It was obvious that someone learned all the intricate flavors of Oaxacan cuisine. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Apps and drinks, skip dinnerJJPPDined on 9/17/2014The appetizers and drinks were definitely the star of the meal. Dinner was alright. Of the three friends I went with, my meal was definitely the stand out, I had the carnitas and they were cooked to perfection, but one friend's steak was a little underwhelming and so was anothers' enchiladas. But this is a fantastic place to hit up for drinks. Their guac with bacon is amazing and civeche is out of this world!Special Features:
- Always GreatStevanDined on 9/15/2014Have eaten here multiple times. Good food, interesting choices, solid service, great drinks. A must do on the Portland food scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zapotecaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014Food is very good, with original flavor ideas. The brick wood oven enhances the flavor of much of the food, and the wonderful tequila list is a great accompaniment to the appetizers. The wine and beer lists could be expanded, and the noise/sound level of the room should be addressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth The Prices3bagsDined on 9/3/2014The food was good but way too pricey. $28 for seafood stew with nothing else like salad or pasta or vegetables. And our waitress disappeared - turned out she was bar tending and we had to ask someone to find her.Special Features:
- Not worth itReviwer1963eDined on 9/1/2014We decided that we would try Zapoteca for a change of culinary pace. Host was somewhat detached and ambivalent. We were seated fairly quickly in a booth that was truly cramped. Waitress was cheery enough yet, did not come by our table often enough. Drinks werecent but nothing special. Food was extremely slow to arrive and we received basically no updates on its' progress. We all ordered something different. Food was plenty hot but average at best. They have a long way to go to be considered anything more than mediocre. We probably will not be back again.Special Features:
- Always wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014I've been to this restuarant many times and I have yet to have a poor experience. The guacamole is wonderful, I made certain the plates on both entrees were cleaned off, the desserts were excellent, and my wife loved her drink. The only "issues" we had were that the waitress didn't stop by from the time she took our order to the time she dropped off the check (someone else brought us the food), and they had run out of desserts early so we only have a couple choices. Every table was booked so both issues were understandable and not the sort of thing we've run into before. There was a major concert in town that day so they may not have anticipated the staffing needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurantKimoDined on 8/31/2014I love this restaurant! It's gourmet Mexican. One gets all the wonderful Mexican spices & flavors in wonderfully presented and executed creative menu items. The food is extremely fresh and clean. Our service was perfect. Loved the margaritas shaken and poured tableside. We had a party of 10 and there were no complaints when we asked for separate checks. Highly recommend Zapoteca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliscious!!!Foodi2Dined on 8/31/2014Tasty salsa's. ordered the flight of salsa's but it was too much for 2 people who also wanted to get entrees. The Duck entrée was really good. The blood orange Margarita was bitter. The regular one was sweet. Will go back to try the enchilada.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JEMbotkkkDined on 8/31/2014Excellent food at a fair price. The entre that I had was nothing short of right on. The flavors and presentation were well matched. A must do kind of place.Special Features:
- felt a bit rushedsummerDined on 8/30/2014Barely sat down and the waitress asked what I would like to drink, I told her I would like to look at the drink menu and my friend was in the rest room and I would like to wait for her. She barely sat down and the same thing. At that time we ordered our drinks, the waitress asked if we were ready to order-didn't even look at the menu yet! Ordered our meal - mine was barely warm. We just finished our meal and she asked if we would like dessert, we said no thank you - and there was the check! no time to order an after dinner drink. We went somewhere else for our after dinner drink. Not sure if I would rush backSpecial Features:
- Hocky37Dined on 8/28/2014This was our second visit to Zapoteca in the last month, with two trips to Maine! Drinks are unique and delicious and the food is the most original and reasonable Southwest/Mexican we can remember having anywhere. The Jalapenos Rellenos De Queso appetizer was fantastic and the Relleno de Champinones entry were both my favorites to try. I highly recommend a visit, call a few days in advance and take some time to sit at the bar and enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014The food and service were both excellent. They put a very creative twist on Mexican/Southwestern food. The menu includes many seafood dishes which you don't typically find in this type of restaurant. Our server was also one of tge best we've had. He pace out tge timing of our meals perfectly and also reccomended a wine and cheese bar he thought we would enjoy as well. We live locally and we haven't heard of this place and it is something we will check out. Also, thank you Open Table, we wouldn't have found this restaurant with out you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Interesting dishes very clean and fresh. Tasty but not over whelming . Need a little more gluten free and vegetarian dishes on menu but were willing to make adjustments. Service was a little halting but over all goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On my list of favoritesSistawomanDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant was a great surprise! I have eaten in many fine Mexican restaurants in the southwest and expected the usual mediocre east coast facsimile but this restaurant is as authentic. I have never had mole or guacamole any better anywhere! The menu is creative ,and the food is beautifully presented. This is surely one of Portland's gems and that is saying something! The service was excellent and the valet parking was an additional surprise. The drinks are ice cold and exquisite, This is at the top of my list now!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/22/2014We have been coming to this restaurant since it opened and have been so happy about the " not your traditional mexican" food... But our last experience was not as great as usual. The guacamole was pretty boring ..no spice of any kind, pretty much just avacados. They have fancier guacamole and maybe that's why this was lacking. Also the carnitas have changed! We come here for the carnitas, which used to be delicious perfectly prepared chunks of pork. This time they were sort of shredded dry bits formed into a square shape! The mole was good as was the fish stew dish...but we REALLY missed those carnitas !
- LoudOtooleDined on 8/21/2014Zapoteca was fun. We had great Tequila selections, nice wine list and great starters, ceviche etc. Two of us ordered the pork dish (not ribs) whose flavor was great but sadly very dry. Used a lot if lime juice. It is very loud in the restaurant so if you are not up for speaking very loudly and saying "What" often it may not be the place for you. We will definitely go back though. Mostly the food was good, fresh and creative. Cool bar and very good service. I am sorry I can't remember our waiter's name. Although he was very busy but we never had to wait long for anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodcathyDined on 8/18/2014The food is very good.....drinks great....server knowledgable and friendly....would highly recommnedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always exceedsFoodieJimDined on 8/18/2014I've been to Zapoteca several times now,and every time I leave I question why I don't go back more often. The guacamole might be the best on the planet. The drinks are unique and delicious. The food is beyond spectacular. After dinner our party went to a hot spot for a dessert cocktail and two of my friends were raving about the black beans...BEANS???? What is usually a side dish at most Mexican establishments was a highlight here. I didn't have the beans....but I will next time! I also wish I could remember our waiter's name. She was so patient and wonderful!Special Features:
- DrinksJillDined on 8/16/2014The cocktails were excellent, with great presentation.Special Features:
- MimosasmartiniloverDined on 8/16/2014The pitcher of mimosas served during Saturday brunch was a lot of bang for your buck. The lobster tacos and crab tacos were heavenly.Special Features:
- BuenoChoosyDinerVIPDined on 8/14/2014Prompt, attentive service. The salsa selection is difficult because they are all a bit different and each one is delicious. Best chile relleno in New England. Hard to choose between the mojitos and the margaritas as well. Try both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and cocktailsMarthaVIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was fantastic as well as service and of course a terrific company with our friends. Muchas gracias !Special Features:
- Superb interesting food; noisyWinerDinerDined on 8/7/2014The food was delicious - especially recommend any of the dishes with mole sauce. Interesting, fun salsas. Superb guacamole. Attentive, warm wait staff. Only downside - with little carpeting or wall fabric, the noise level is very high. For those who are hard of hearing, even just a little, it's very difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Fun mealBigBangDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I enjoyed a dinner at Zapoteca. We really like the appetizers and the salsa sampler. The 9-chili salsa is not to be missed. We were not quite as impressed with the ceviche, but enjoyed our main courses.Special Features:
- Too noisySadlyDined on 8/2/2014The food was very good; however, it was so loud we could not talk to each at the table. I would not return unless they install acoustic tiles or I go when no one else is there.
- Overpriced.DeedeeDined on 8/2/2014Overpriced. The entrees were expensive and small. Seating is tight. I could hear the conversations from the tables next to us.
- We will certainly returnLoveCayeCaulkerDined on 8/2/2014This is our second time at Zapoteca and the first lunch. There were three of us and we decided to order two apps, three entrees, and three desserts and then share them all. The portions are nice for this process. I think if we'd ordered singly, some of the entrees wouldn't have satisfied -- but the prices were so reasonable it would be simple to add another dish. The food we were served was all very good. Our only "missing element" was heat. For a Mexican place, we thought there should be a bit more heat in the spice department. But let me hastily add that the spices they did use were delicious! In typical restaurant fashion, the cocktails were on the sugary side, but that is a personal taste.Special Features:
- Cocktails great! Food not so muchportlandeatsDined on 7/27/2014Cocktails were amazing! Food somewhat underseasoned. Beef overcooked and tough. We ordered an expensive wine to splurge but it was not available. Would go again just for cocktails but would dine elsewhere.Special Features:
- Just OKMmmmgoodDined on 7/27/2014Food was fine, neither exciting nor bad. Margarita wasn't very cold. We went a year agp,and enjoyed a very good meal, so we were disappointed this time.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Food was very underwhelming with little taste. The guacamole was extremely bland Enchiladas De Cangrejo Y Camarones has little taste with the exception of the sauce. The best part of the experience was the beans and delicious drinks which isn't enough for me to go back.
- Good Service; Good FooddarkgaelDined on 7/24/2014We had a late evening reservation, and part of the party was late arriving. The staff handled that very well, up to a point. The food that we had was delicious - enchiladas - chicken and pork. The drinks that most had - assorted margaretas seemed to be a hit. The only downside was the staff seemed ready to get out of there. As I said, our res was later, and some of the party were late, they only ended up ordering drinks. We were told the kitchen closed soon, so that aspect was a bit rushed, they had a deadline in place... not something you would expect for an establishment with their reputation...and their prices...drinks seemed on the high end. I would go back,...earlier...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, terrible service.nj31Dined on 7/23/2014Though we had a reservation we were seated in the bar at a high top, not the dining experience we were expecting. Our waitress was also the bartender which is a recipe for disaster...and it was. She didn't have the time to devote to both waiting the bar well and waiting tables well and we paid the price. This is obviously a management issue rather than a server issue. Food was slow to come out and getting a drink refilled was difficult, when the food came it was very good but not good enough to overcome the entire experience. I'd probably go elsewhere next time.
- Zapoteca... Tequila Heaven.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014Top winners on our visit were the chips and tres (3) salsas to include Salsa Verde, Salsa Roja and a surprising stunner, the Cashew salsa. Then the jalapenos rellenos de queso and finished off with Queso Fundido Con Champinones. Food and atmosphere. Check. Great flavors, the right amount and 1/2 off for happy hour could not be beat. The selection of tequila was why we initially came. To have excellent Mexican food to complement the evening was fantastic. We sipped tequila. We did a flight of tequila which came with fresh made tomatilla sangrita to cleanse the palate in a more traditional way. Nice touch. We had a couple margaritas including a special that night, pineapple and habanero. The spicier the better. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014I had heard good things about Zapoteca but we were quite disappointed. The hostess highly recommended we stay in the bar since the main dining room was very loud. The drinks were great but both entrees were bland. We most likely won't return.
- A Great Dinner!IsaacDined on 7/19/2014This is my 3rd time at Zapoteca and it keeps getting better. I was able to bring my father with me this time, he was visiting from out of town. He also considers himself a bit of a foodie. From the tequila to the apps, from the wine to the entrees, nothing disappointed. I especially liked the honesty, advise, and education we received from our server. Her knowledge and attitude made the meal that much better. Whatever the Chef is doing back in the kitchen, please continue on, because your creations are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.