Zapatista - Naperville
1703 Freedom Drive
Naperville, IL 60563Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Zapatista - Naperville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.zapatistarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6309041703
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our Comida, your Cocina, no problema. Zapatista will bring the party to you. Includes, plateware, flatware and set up.
A word from Zapatista - Naperville
Zapatista offers authentic Mexican cuisine with a multitude of flavors. Diners will appreciate the rustic atmosphere and warm décor. Favorite dishes include made to order guacamole and fajitas cooked tableside in a lava stone molcajete. Al fresco dining available seating over 175 people including a beautiful fire pit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Zapatista - Naperville - Best Restaurants in Naperville ›
Zapatista - Naperville reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (50)good for groups (42)great for lunch (20)fit for foodies (18)special occasion (17)neighborhood gem (17)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (13)romantic (10)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good food server was a little slowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014We made a reservation for 7:00 but did not get seated till about 7:30, so not really sure if they kept our reservation or were swamped. The food was pretty good everyone liked their dishes, some of the dishes were a bit heavy handed with the salt. The service itself was a little slow, it was difficult to get a hold of our waiter for water or chips.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceCrowdedDined on 10/18/2014Their food presentation is unique, and not the usual presentation of Mexican Food. Great food, service and sangria........the Chicken Pollo Taco is not like a regular taco, only better.....Outstanding. The Fajitas taste and presentation were delicious. All sidess, like the rice and beans, again, delicious. Their chips and salsa were also great.Special Features:
- Service lacking, food okayhydroDined on 10/18/2014Zapatista didn't accommodate any special requests, they sat us next to the kitchen when there were a lot of open tables. Service was not great and I feel that the menu has been scaled back compared to past visits. There are not as many options on the menu as there has been in the past. Not sure if I will go back.
- Good restaurantBreviewDined on 10/15/2014The server was great and patience. The food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- murphMurph353VIPDined on 10/10/2014If I could, I would have rated Zapatista 2.5 stars. I went there with my wife and two adult sons. We started with some guacamole, one mild, and one medium. The mild was very bland. The medium guacamole was good. My family members ordered the fajitas-one got veggie, one lamb, and the third the "Hacienda." All thought they were good. I ordered the salmon. I really liked the spinach and the plantains but the salmon was way overcooked. Portions were generous. Our server was friendly and well-intentioned but I think he was a little over extended. We had to remind him a couple of times for things like chips and tortillas. What detracted the most was the noise, it was nearly impossible for us to carry on a conversation.
- Going Downhill FastOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014They've eliminated a lot of what made Zapatista good in the first place, especially the fajitas for two. The menu only has about 15 things on it now and none are great.Special Features:
- Great Food and AtmospheretoomuchfunDined on 10/4/2014Food was excellent, service was great, much bigger place than expected. Smaller menu, but great choices. This was our server's first week on the job (Chantelle) and she was great.Special Features:
- zapatista reviewbpriceDined on 10/3/2014first time, heard a lot of good things about the place, food was cold, sent food back to get heated up but came back cold again. service was slow,
- Fantastico!CieloDined on 10/3/2014This is such a wonderful restaurant! The food is very unique and different from what you might find at other Mexican restaurants. We had a great meal and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- It was OK, would not go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/3/2014We were there on Friday night. The place was pretty empty and never really picked up. Our server was very nice, but did not explain anything about the menu. Queso Fundido appetizer was very tasty, though messy and heavy. This could be a meal by itself. I ordered the Hacienda Fajitas. The meats were delicious and the stone bowl warmer was useful. Three complaints: 1. This was a extraordinary amount of food, and probably should have been split by two people. Would have expected a heads up on this from the server. 2. At no point did I receive a clean plate on which to prepare the fajitas. I had to snag one from an empty table. 3. The tiny tortillas were far too small for fajitas. The strips of meat were much longer than the tortillas.
- Awesome!FreddyDined on 10/3/2014Love this place! Great food!! Great location and just a perfect way to end the night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happend?Prodiver46VIPDined on 10/1/2014I dined there about a month ago and the food was outstanding, the menu had a generous selection. On this last visit, the menu was a trifold peice of paper with about a dozen items to choose from. The overall quality of the food was considerably less than the last time i visited. I actually would have enjoyed chipotles a lot more.
- Overrated6eatVIPDined on 9/27/2014Very little food for what I would consider expensive fajitas. The service was not very good at all. Everyone at the table agreed this is a one time restaurant.
- Decent Mexican experienceNickDined on 9/26/2014They recently changed the menu, not sure if it's a good thing yet. Was really loud and the food was somewhat bland. Overall okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Food Poor ServiceDnrb3wareDined on 9/26/2014This was my second visit to Zapatista the first experience was so so but I decide to give it a second chance but what a waste bad food and bad service.Special Features:
- FoodGreattimeFridayNightDined on 9/19/2014Excellent steak fajitas! The food was good. ..loved the drinks! I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Overall the food and service was outstanding. The only downfall was that the restaurant was extremely loud. It was difficult to hold a conversation because it was that loud. We were sitting right next to the kitchen, so perhaps that is why it was so loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at best...DutchDudeDined on 9/18/2014I had enchiladas carne assada. It was extremely bland and unimpressive. The portion and flavors in my opinion were not a good value for the price tag. My margarita was very good and the guacamole very tasty although the spicy choice to me didn't end up being very spicy. All-in-all this restaurant left me with a so-so impression. I wouldn't refuse to go here if someone else invited me but would certainly not recommend it to friends and family.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014While the food was pretty good, the service at this location was horrible. One of my coworkers was changing places with another coworker and the server pulled out the chair as she was sitting down and she fell on the floor!! Then one of our meals was forgotten and delivered much later than the others. Also, we all ordered fajitas and when he delivered one of them he almost spilled it on two of us! They did try to make it up try to make it up to us by giving us a free dessert and took of one of the meals. Naperville, work on your service and then we will come back. We had a party of 6.
- Not worth the price!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Very expensive (not worth though) , average quality of service, very few options in the menu. Only good for one visit from an experience standpoint..... No reason to be so expensive!! Very dissapointed....
- Fusion / FlairMandMDined on 9/12/2014Not your typical Mexican cuisine. Fajitas were highlighted for Friday night and the Hacienda dish did not disappoint with the variety of meats offered - chicken, steak, shrimp and chorizo! Unfortunately, some of the meats were a little cold upon serving. Barbacoa Enchiladas had perfectly slow roasted beef which paired well with the smoky poblano sauce. The margarita made with prickly pear had just the right amount of sweet & tart. At first glance of the menu, the prices felt a little high, but the flavors and quality ingredients offered were worth it. Staff was very welcoming both at the hostess stand and our server.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingssteeleDined on 9/7/2014I'd been to Zapatista once before and had a much better experience. On the latest visit, the plan was to enjoy the last of summer weather on the patio. Unfortunately,they have an out-of-control bed problem. We moved our dining experience indoors when a bee landed in one of or margaritas. The fajitas were good, not out of this world.Special Features:
- Best service, great foodOutforlunch1dinnerDined on 9/6/2014First time at this restaurant. The weather. Was great so we choose to sit outside. Service was the best. Not in our way but not far when we needed something, which they were so good, we never really needed anything. Food was very good. Fast! We ordered and our food showed up minutes later. A good selection of craft beers. Plan to make this a frequent spot and will try other dishes.Special Features:
- Poor serviceKirs10Dined on 8/30/2014Sat on the patio on a semi-busy Saturday night. I've never really been here when the service was good. Everything we ordered got mixed up with the table next to us. We got their guacamole and they got both of our entrees. My meal sat on the other table for at least 10 minutes before the waitress came back to check in and realized it was at the wrong table. She then took the plate off the table and set it in front of me. So my food was pretty cold when I actually got them. My boyfriends food was also brought to the other table which took another 10 minutes to sort out. Nothing on our bill was compted nor was anyone very apologetic for the mix up.
- Tasty food and nice choicestbnorrisDined on 8/26/2014Nice open floor plan with a nice warm inviting feel. The restaurant was not super busy, with most people out on the large patio. The waiter was a little scattered might have just been an off night, though. The chips were different, and good, I think they might have been house made, were a little thicker. My main dish, pulled pork plate, was nicely sized, and had good flavor, but tasted like it was missing something. The pickled onions and rice and beans went well with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsShirleyTempleDined on 8/26/2014Six of us women went out for dinner. We sat outside, and for a short period of time had the sun in our eyes or on our backs because the umbrellas were stationery. They have specials every day (almost). We had the two tacos, rice ad beans for $5...we also all had drinks. Nacho chips and salsa are also served for free, so we really had plenty to eat. The other dishes being served around us all looked good. Our waiter was a bit hurried - had to remind him about more silverware, more water, and dessert. He gave us our checks before asking if we wanted anything else. I imagine that this is quite crowded on weekends as it is located among many other restaurants. I think I'd try it again.Special Features:
- Good deal!NikBik2Dined on 8/24/2014Food was decent. They have a great family deal on Sundays. You get 6 tacos and 6 enchiladas for $20!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anonymousDined on 8/15/2014Wanted to try a new restaurant for dinner and had only heard great things about Zapatista. After dining there, I would highly recommend to anyone. Enjoyed everything from the margaritas, to the guacamole and fajitas. Will come back again soon!Special Features:
- First time at Zapastita's loved it!KeaganVIPDined on 8/13/2014The Million De Dolares margaritas were outstanding! We started off with the Sopesitos which were very good. My husband had the Red Snapper which was excellently prepared with a combination of favors all coming together. I ordered the Carne Asada made with flank steak instead of the New York Strip. My meal was good but didn't compare to the snapper. The service was amazing. Fernando, the General Manager, went above and beyond to make sure the chef addressed all my allergies. He was very friendly and courteous and did a great job! We look forward to dining there again!Special Features:
- Good place for Mexican foodGrannyDined on 8/9/2014Enjoyed the restaurant which has a good selection of vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Ok Mexican foodFoodreviewerDined on 8/9/2014I went there for dinner with my husband. The patio was very nice and we enjoyed the outside dining. The food was average though. Given the several other similar Mexican options in the area, I probably will go somewhere else next time.Special Features:
- We will go back...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014My fiance and I just moved to the area and wanted to try a new place. We chose Zapatista even though we saw mixed reviews, we both really enjoyed our meal. She had the pork tacos and I had the steak fajitas. The service we received was prompt and sincere, we will absolutely go back again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fabulous Dine AgainBobbieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Once again we were treated well, dined well, drank well. Special thanks to Isreal and Imra for making our evening so wonderful. This is truly one of our favorite restaurants. We are always welcomed and treated like royalty.Special Features:
- Great Patio DinningProdiver46VIPDined on 7/31/2014A great place to sit outside, have a few drinks and enjoy some great food.Special Features:
- Better Mexican Finds in AreaVacationersVIPDined on 7/27/2014Service was awesome; food very mediocre. Husband's burrito was literally ice cold! Black beans tasty but lukewarm. Wrote it was a birthday, and server had no clue. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Fun girls night outsantos503Dined on 7/23/2014I went here with 3 of my girlfriends to celebrate a birthday. We had a great experience and enjoyable meal. The fajitas were delicious, and so were the margaritas! Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Save Yourself a Trip!Foodie3VIPDined on 7/11/2014This was my 2nd x to Zapatista & I was hoping to give the place another try. I had a reservation for a group of 10. The server was ok, but he kept reiterating that he was new & I just felt like he was setting low expectations for us. We ordered 2 orders of the "table side" guac & it was brought out premade & half filled. For $9 a bowl, you'd think there would be more. We each got a spoonful, but it was terribly bland. We ordered 3 pitchers of the house margaritas & they tasted like watered down lime koolaid. The entrees were better, but nothing to write home about. I was also amazed how inflexible the server was with accommodating our requests. Wanted to try a combo of tacos & were willing to pay the > $. He wouldn't do it. My LAST visit!Special Features:
- Great service.sabrinaVIPDined on 7/11/2014Our waiter was very nice and the food portions were huge. Will dine again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is just okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014There are plenty of other Mexican places in Naperville that have better food. Location is convenient for work lunch.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014This was a great restaurant, the selection on the menu was nice. We enjoyed both of our dinners. It was especially quiet the night we were there probably because it was a holiday weekend. We are looking forward to visiting again.Special Features: