Zapatista - Naperville
1703 Freedom Drive
Naperville, IL 60563Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Zapatista - Naperville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.zapatistarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6309041703
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our Comida, your Cocina, no problema. Zapatista will bring the party to you. Includes, plateware, flatware and set up.
A word from Zapatista - Naperville
Zapatista offers authentic Mexican cuisine with a multitude of flavors. Diners will appreciate the rustic atmosphere and warm décor. Favorite dishes include made to order guacamole and fajitas cooked tableside in a lava stone molcajete. Al fresco dining available seating over 175 people including a beautiful fire pit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Zapatista - Naperville - Best Restaurants in Naperville ›
Zapatista - Naperville reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (51)good for groups (36)great for lunch (20)kid-friendly (17)fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (15)special occasion (14)romantic (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Excellent steak fajitas! The food was good. ..loved the drinks! I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Overall the food and service was outstanding. The only downfall was that the restaurant was extremely loud. It was difficult to hold a conversation because it was that loud. We were sitting right next to the kitchen, so perhaps that is why it was so loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at best...DutchDudeDined on 9/18/2014I had enchiladas carne assada. It was extremely bland and unimpressive. The portion and flavors in my opinion were not a good value for the price tag. My margarita was very good and the guacamole very tasty although the spicy choice to me didn't end up being very spicy. All-in-all this restaurant left me with a so-so impression. I wouldn't refuse to go here if someone else invited me but would certainly not recommend it to friends and family.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014While the food was pretty good, the service at this location was horrible. One of my coworkers was changing places with another coworker and the server pulled out the chair as she was sitting down and she fell on the floor!! Then one of our meals was forgotten and delivered much later than the others. Also, we all ordered fajitas and when he delivered one of them he almost spilled it on two of us! They did try to make it up try to make it up to us by giving us a free dessert and took of one of the meals. Naperville, work on your service and then we will come back. We had a party of 6.
- Not worth the price!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Very expensive (not worth though) , average quality of service, very few options in the menu. Only good for one visit from an experience standpoint..... No reason to be so expensive!! Very dissapointed....
- Fusion / FlairMandMDined on 9/12/2014Not your typical Mexican cuisine. Fajitas were highlighted for Friday night and the Hacienda dish did not disappoint with the variety of meats offered - chicken, steak, shrimp and chorizo! Unfortunately, some of the meats were a little cold upon serving. Barbacoa Enchiladas had perfectly slow roasted beef which paired well with the smoky poblano sauce. The margarita made with prickly pear had just the right amount of sweet & tart. At first glance of the menu, the prices felt a little high, but the flavors and quality ingredients offered were worth it. Staff was very welcoming both at the hostess stand and our server.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingssteeleDined on 9/7/2014I'd been to Zapatista once before and had a much better experience. On the latest visit, the plan was to enjoy the last of summer weather on the patio. Unfortunately,they have an out-of-control bed problem. We moved our dining experience indoors when a bee landed in one of or margaritas. The fajitas were good, not out of this world.Special Features:
- Best service, great foodOutforlunch1dinnerDined on 9/6/2014First time at this restaurant. The weather. Was great so we choose to sit outside. Service was the best. Not in our way but not far when we needed something, which they were so good, we never really needed anything. Food was very good. Fast! We ordered and our food showed up minutes later. A good selection of craft beers. Plan to make this a frequent spot and will try other dishes.Special Features:
- Poor serviceKirs10Dined on 8/30/2014Sat on the patio on a semi-busy Saturday night. I've never really been here when the service was good. Everything we ordered got mixed up with the table next to us. We got their guacamole and they got both of our entrees. My meal sat on the other table for at least 10 minutes before the waitress came back to check in and realized it was at the wrong table. She then took the plate off the table and set it in front of me. So my food was pretty cold when I actually got them. My boyfriends food was also brought to the other table which took another 10 minutes to sort out. Nothing on our bill was compted nor was anyone very apologetic for the mix up.
- Tasty food and nice choicestbnorrisDined on 8/26/2014Nice open floor plan with a nice warm inviting feel. The restaurant was not super busy, with most people out on the large patio. The waiter was a little scattered might have just been an off night, though. The chips were different, and good, I think they might have been house made, were a little thicker. My main dish, pulled pork plate, was nicely sized, and had good flavor, but tasted like it was missing something. The pickled onions and rice and beans went well with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsShirleyTempleDined on 8/26/2014Six of us women went out for dinner. We sat outside, and for a short period of time had the sun in our eyes or on our backs because the umbrellas were stationery. They have specials every day (almost). We had the two tacos, rice ad beans for $5...we also all had drinks. Nacho chips and salsa are also served for free, so we really had plenty to eat. The other dishes being served around us all looked good. Our waiter was a bit hurried - had to remind him about more silverware, more water, and dessert. He gave us our checks before asking if we wanted anything else. I imagine that this is quite crowded on weekends as it is located among many other restaurants. I think I'd try it again.Special Features:
- Good deal!NikBik2Dined on 8/24/2014Food was decent. They have a great family deal on Sundays. You get 6 tacos and 6 enchiladas for $20!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anonymousDined on 8/15/2014Wanted to try a new restaurant for dinner and had only heard great things about Zapatista. After dining there, I would highly recommend to anyone. Enjoyed everything from the margaritas, to the guacamole and fajitas. Will come back again soon!Special Features:
- First time at Zapastita's loved it!KeaganVIPDined on 8/13/2014The Million De Dolares margaritas were outstanding! We started off with the Sopesitos which were very good. My husband had the Red Snapper which was excellently prepared with a combination of favors all coming together. I ordered the Carne Asada made with flank steak instead of the New York Strip. My meal was good but didn't compare to the snapper. The service was amazing. Fernando, the General Manager, went above and beyond to make sure the chef addressed all my allergies. He was very friendly and courteous and did a great job! We look forward to dining there again!Special Features:
- Good place for Mexican foodGrannyDined on 8/9/2014Enjoyed the restaurant which has a good selection of vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Ok Mexican foodFoodreviewerDined on 8/9/2014I went there for dinner with my husband. The patio was very nice and we enjoyed the outside dining. The food was average though. Given the several other similar Mexican options in the area, I probably will go somewhere else next time.Special Features:
- We will go back...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014My fiance and I just moved to the area and wanted to try a new place. We chose Zapatista even though we saw mixed reviews, we both really enjoyed our meal. She had the pork tacos and I had the steak fajitas. The service we received was prompt and sincere, we will absolutely go back again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fabulous Dine AgainBobbieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Once again we were treated well, dined well, drank well. Special thanks to Isreal and Imra for making our evening so wonderful. This is truly one of our favorite restaurants. We are always welcomed and treated like royalty.Special Features:
- Great Patio DinningProdiver46VIPDined on 7/31/2014A great place to sit outside, have a few drinks and enjoy some great food.Special Features:
- Better Mexican Finds in AreaVacationersVIPDined on 7/27/2014Service was awesome; food very mediocre. Husband's burrito was literally ice cold! Black beans tasty but lukewarm. Wrote it was a birthday, and server had no clue. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Fun girls night outsantos503Dined on 7/23/2014I went here with 3 of my girlfriends to celebrate a birthday. We had a great experience and enjoyable meal. The fajitas were delicious, and so were the margaritas! Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Save Yourself a Trip!Foodie3Dined on 7/11/2014This was my 2nd x to Zapatista & I was hoping to give the place another try. I had a reservation for a group of 10. The server was ok, but he kept reiterating that he was new & I just felt like he was setting low expectations for us. We ordered 2 orders of the "table side" guac & it was brought out premade & half filled. For $9 a bowl, you'd think there would be more. We each got a spoonful, but it was terribly bland. We ordered 3 pitchers of the house margaritas & they tasted like watered down lime koolaid. The entrees were better, but nothing to write home about. I was also amazed how inflexible the server was with accommodating our requests. Wanted to try a combo of tacos & were willing to pay the > $. He wouldn't do it. My LAST visit!Special Features:
- Great service.sabrinaVIPDined on 7/11/2014Our waiter was very nice and the food portions were huge. Will dine again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is just okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014There are plenty of other Mexican places in Naperville that have better food. Location is convenient for work lunch.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014This was a great restaurant, the selection on the menu was nice. We enjoyed both of our dinners. It was especially quiet the night we were there probably because it was a holiday weekend. We are looking forward to visiting again.Special Features:
- Good Food, ??? Servicenelsonj5Dined on 6/29/2014Food was delicious although guacamole order was small in big bowl. Had to approach hostess to get server after 15 mins. of waiting. Another table had same experience...wait staff not so attentive, you must be assertive. This has been stated in several reviews; they should really do something about this. I may give them one more try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GAV500VIPDined on 6/29/2014Zapatista started out great and quickly declined. Fajitas should be made with lean meat, thinly sliced with lots of onions and peppers. Instead you get chunks of meat, very little vegetables in a bubbling hot stone cauldron. The margaritas are good, however they come in a deceivingly small glass with lots of ice and they are quite expensive. Atmosphere still nice, especially the outdoor seating area. Hope you figure out a better recipe soon because I'm done with this place.
- great food!iluvfood13Dined on 6/28/2014Great for a girls night out! After reading some poor reviews, we tried it anyways. So glad we did, the food was great!! Sarah our server was very attentive and pleasant, will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MimiDined on 6/27/2014Out of the beer my guests wanted. A little fat in the pork tacos. Otherwise, everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okhekhl00Dined on 6/24/2014Had to ask for water three times. Nothing remarkable about the food although their quacamole was good. Who puts chili powder in a margarita without listing it as an ingredient? And even then, who puts chili powder in a margarita? Not bad food but certainly have had better Mexican.
- disappointedhappyDined on 6/21/2014service was poor, waited 10 minutes for a server to come to our table. Food was not that great either, ordered steak fajitas and the steak we very tough. Not impressed and will not be going back
- OutstandingluvgoodfoodDined on 6/21/2014This is our new favorite restaurant. I am a gluten free vegetarian and the normal menu has codes for everything I can eat. I did have to feel like the difficult customer asking about foods. To top that off it was really good. My kids love it too. It is difficult to find a place that all five of us love but Zapatista has satisfied all of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great!ChicagosbestDined on 6/18/2014Servers were very attentive to my group and the food was excellentSpecial Features:
- Zapatista!CarlSpacklerDined on 6/15/2014Really enjoyed the Margaritas! The chips and salsa were quite fresh and very good. I like some bite and this salsa had it. I had the chicken fajitas and they did not disappoint. Although we sat for about 7 minutes before someone notice us, from there the service was quite attentive and very good. I will definitely return.......
- Found it on a whimKayakILMVIPDined on 6/14/2014My wife and I were visiting family in the Naperville area and she wanted to find a Mexican restaurant for lunch. Found this place close to us. Ratings looked good, so we checked it out. The food and service was very good. Glad we tried it. Would love to go back for a margarita some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed againBobbieVIPDined on 6/13/2014While the food was wonderful, the service was not. Our entrees all arrived on the "cool" side having obviously sat waiting to be picked up for some time. All were edible except the Cochina Pibil, whose sauce had actually cooled to a powdery glaze on the pork. The diner asked yo have it "warmed" and while the server did request that a whole new dinner be made, the entree did not arrive until well after the rest of the party had finished their entrees. Never an apology or an offer to comp the entree, which we would have refused. However, an "I am sorry" would have been nice.Special Features:
- DisappointingDhoffVIPDined on 6/13/2014We've been to other Zapstista restaurants downtown and looked forward to this being close to home. After waiting 30 minutes for our food the server realized our ticket got lost. Finally after 45 minutes food was served, the wrong food. My daughter ordered chicken enchiladas which were cheese, my husband fish tacos on flour which came on corn. Food had great flavor, server friendly and she was new; I felt sorry she had this happen on her shift. Overall, disappointed. A manager should be more visible and cognizant of these delays. Don't have to return.Special Features:
- First time at Z'sIANativeDined on 6/13/2014Food was excellent, strongly recommend the fish tacos. Tequila list expansive and impressive, and killer margaritas.Special Features:
- Good food & service, but priceyKcb8255Dined on 6/13/2014This is not your typical Mexican restaurant...the menu is creative & interesting. The guacamole is outstanding. My husband had the fish tacos which were also very good. There's a nice outdoor patio here; if there's space available, dining out there is great. Only negatives would be it's noisy inside, so don't expect a quiet dinner. Expect to pay $10+ for a smaller size margarita; overpriced for what you get. Our bill was $70 for the guac, 2 taco dinners, 1 margarita and 3 beers...Special Features:
- Tasty Mexican Fare Close to HotelBozemanMikeVIPDined on 6/10/2014Took a group of Business associates to Zapatista in Naperville. It was close to their hotel and no one had been before. Good overall choices on the menu, although nothing seemed special, as it had all the typical Mexican stuff, some just with fancy names. Food was very good and everyone enjoyed their meal. Service was excellent, although the place is a bit noisy.Special Features: