85 W. Walnut Street
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zambratapas.com/
- Phone: (828) 232-1060
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Adam Bannasch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live entertainment on Fridays and Saturdays beginning at 8PM.
A word from Zambra Restaurant
Zambra is a gypsy dance of celebration, Arabic for 'flute', a wild bird, flamenco danced at a family gathering, a Moorish festival. Zambra is a group of talented people in Asheville, NC creating a feast for the senses. We create contemporary twists on the food of Spain and North Africa, and serve hundreds of wines from the land of the sun, the Iberian peninsula and all over the world. Zambra is a tapas bar and restaurant in downtown Asheville!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zambra Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Zambra Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
236 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (173)romantic (138)special occasion (121)notable wine list (104)neighborhood gem (82)good for groups (81)hot spot (59)late-night find (47)vibrant bar scene (41)great for outdoor dining (16)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Good tapas, excellent serviceprofessorfoodieDined on 11/20/2014This wasn't my first time at Zambra, so I knew we would have a very good experience. We wanted a place where we could talk, and that's what we got. The dining room is large and tables aren't on top of one another, so it is quiet and unrushed. The food ranged from good to excellent. Among my favorites were the duck confit and butternut squash gnocchi with local goat feta. Catfish sliders were also excellent. They have an amazing wine list, both Spanish wines and American wines. Always a good experience, and not too pricey. And the service was particularly polished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulLC1989Dined on 11/17/2014We went to Zambra for a birthday dinner and were so enthralled by their food and service we debated returning the next night; to be honest we regretted that we didn't!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointing.CactusDined on 11/17/2014The only reason to go here is if you are craving Tapas and you can't get into Curate, the servers need to be trained so that the food arrives hot. Very disappointing.
- Good but not greatkenjoDined on 11/14/2014Zambra has great vibe but I didn't think the food measures up to all the hype. Menu just seemed way too complicated. Something there's nothing wrong with simple. That said, the chocolate torte dessert was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid as alwaysHomerDined on 11/14/2014In a town that has somewhat of a high turnover rate for bars & restaurants, Zambras is one of the longer tenured establishments. Not much changes as I've visited over the years, yet it always feels fresh and exciting. Somehow I've always managed to find myself at the table way in the back with all the pillows. Most of their seating is 4 tops and the way back is really the only suitable area for a group of more than 4. Service is always good. The menu offers many, many interesting options that vary in flavor and style. The restaurant has a Spanish/Moorish theme, but the menu is more global in its selection. Everyone should be able to find something they like and the servers are great at helping you decide. Don't go in expecting large plate entrees as this is a tapas restaurant. Plan on ordering a couple small plates and sharing is encouraged. Great for date night. Well behaved kids are fine, otherwise, hire a babysitter and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A stapleLocalFoodieDined on 11/13/2014We eat here 2-3 times a month. The food is incredibly consistent. The service is usually excellent. Sometimes the hostesses are not as welcoming and pleasant as you would expect, but it is a very busy restaurant and I am sure they have a lot to deal with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zambra zealotHsvhickDined on 11/10/2014Have a lovely meal, well paced. Service was good. Only negative was slow bar service, but cocktails well worth the wait.Special Features:
- Great AmbianceJayneDined on 11/8/2014Zambra is a great restaurant located in the midst of downtown Asheville. It's a great setting with large pillows and couches around many of the tables. The food is focused on small plates and each one is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to Please1enzoculinariDined on 11/8/2014My wife and I have been eating at Zambra for 7 years, and we recently ate there to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The restaurant continues to be an outstanding example of fine dining, and we left the restaurant remarking that this was the BEST meal we ever experienced at Zambra. The flavorful creative cuisine, warm attentive table service, excellent wine, and beautiful ambience always make for a special evening. Zambra is # 1 in our book of favorite Asheville restaurants!Special Features:
- Great Tapas with a TwistFoodisLifeVIPDined on 11/7/2014If you're looking for excellent tapas with a funky creative twist this is your spot. Great creative drinks too. We enjoy sitting at the funky barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fabulousUncleBDined on 11/7/2014We've been to Zambra several times before and the food is always exceptional, as well as the service. This time in particular though we had an amazing little corner table and everything was even better. Asheville has a ton of great restaurants and Zambra is right at the top.Special Features:
- zambras lovefoodiesDined on 11/7/2014We have been to Zambras multiple times, and each time it is the best dinning experience. we love this place and it NEVER disappoints!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeFoodieDilettanteDined on 11/6/2014Was looking for a place to get together with old friends for a great conversation over dinner.... this is it. The menu is incredible. I wanted one of everything (and got a fair part of the way there!). Being Tapas, it can get pricey if you come hungry, so probably more of a special occasion place. Fortunately (?), I don't live in Asheville, so I will only be tempted when I'm in town!Special Features:
- a great night out for birthdayblackirish72medicDined on 11/4/2014I heard a lot about this restaurant from friends and coworkers . The food and atmosphere was great an will return !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in Asheville!bariloverDined on 11/3/2014If you find yourself in Asheville and want a great little tapas restaurant, look down the one-way street on Walnut for a sign that says "Zambra". Step down below street level to a wonderful little place with great ambiance, superb tapas (and a lot of choices), and a mind-blowing wine list. Service is attentive and quick, without being annoying, and the food comes out at a leisurely pace that matches your appetite. We will definitely go back every time we visit Asheville and have already recommended it to others.Special Features:
- Delicious and unique experienceUpstateMomDined on 11/2/2014We went here for our daughter's birthday last Sunday and found this restaurant to be a delicious and unique dining experience. They worked with us for gluten free options and had a divine wine list. The food was excellent and the service was very attentive, though not intrusive. I would highly recommend this establishmentSpecial Features:
- Somewhere elseSuzyDined on 11/1/2014Zambra restaurant makes you feel like you are in another country! very exotic and very cozy! The food choices are over the top with something for everyone! We go to this restaurant every time we visit our son in Asheville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Night!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014On a snowy, cold weekend, we arrived for our reservations early and sat right away. A special request in my reservation was honored. Our server was nice and professional and the food was excellent. She even brought a surprise dish that was accidentally cooked in the restaurant and she gave it to us! It was my first date with an amazing man and the ambiance was perfect. We could actually talk. This particular feature is difficult to find in Asheville these days. The lighting was great. Very romantic, but I should have brought my glasses (not a critique just a reminder for those who need reading glasses that the nice ambiance requires you to overcome your vanity!). Nice to support a local restaurant with a long history in Asheville.Special Features:
- One of my favorites!ShawnaDined on 11/1/2014Zambras is a great date spot, and since we had theater tickets just across the street, it was the perfect pre-show meal. I had seen some recent reviews speak unflatteringly about the staff, but we had nothing but a great experience on a busy Saturday night. Everyone was attentive and nice--not just to us but to each other, which I think speaks well of the manager and how he/she runs the restaurant. The food was good; not as great as it has been before, but I think that was based on a few of our choices. Sometimes it isn't fun to "play it safe". I love that Zambras uses local food--one of the things I look for in a restaurant now, and this place never disappoints. It's cozy and romantic and well worth the price!Special Features:
- Zambra, Yes!hickoryfoodiesDined on 10/31/2014Restaurant Zambra was incredible on Halloween night. Servers were costumed, bar drinks were amazing, and the food did not disappoint. Wait staff was professional, friendly, and helpful. The 'find' for the night for us was the classic "Autumn Sweater" cocktail, yet not-so-classic -- with the bartenders signature twist. Adored it! One of our favorites -- warm olives and just-out-of-the-oven bread helped us through the cocktails, followed by small plates of deliciously prepared fish, sauces, et al. The only 'flaw' on the delicious food was that a side orzo was not warm to the standard of either of the fish and sauce dishes. A silky pumpkin flan topped it all, and it was, truly, to die for!Special Features:
- ColttrevDined on 10/28/2014Everything was exceptional food was good, servic was good. The portions were just the right size would returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanceAntonioDined on 10/25/2014Great spot for a romantic date! I when there and tried all kinds of interesting foods. The dishes compliment each other well and there is a vast array of different types of foods to try. A must for anyone looking to surprise their loved one!Special Features:
- NCDinerDined on 10/25/2014Very knowledgeable staff, live music enhanced the atmosphere, delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlotownfanDined on 10/24/2014Arrived early for our reservation and staff readily accommodated us. Wonderful tapas style meal. Mixed and matched several plates and loved them all. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- A true culinary experienceWisdomswordsDined on 10/24/2014This was our first time at Zambra's and my husband is a real meat and potatoes, non adventuresome eater. Well we went twice to Zambra's in our 4 night stay. The food is amazing and the atmosphere awesome! A great way to try something new. Can't wait to come back to Asheville just to eat here again. Definitely make reservations for a weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Spot!ReneDined on 10/24/2014Fantastic food & excellent service! Our waitress wasn't afraid to give her opinion on best tapas & she knew her menu! We will come back next trip to Asheville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for couplesPooDoo49Dined on 10/24/2014The atmosphere was very pleasant and the food was tasty (tapas style). Service was good but not great. I would recommend for couples or a place to have conversation over dinner since it isn't too noisy. We were just in Asheville for the night so found this place on the internet. I guess the most surprising part about the restaurant is that is was packed and yet we were the only non-whites there on a busy Friday evening. Nevertheless, we enjoyed it. The duck and grilled shrimp were great!Special Features:
- Staff was a disappointmentC2008Dined on 10/23/2014The restaurant has a very cool atmosphere but due to the indifferent hostess, the stressed/rude bartenders, and the bored and inattentive waitress we were unimpressed.
- Exceptional TapasSullmeisterDined on 10/23/2014I have never seen such a range of tapas: In addition to the full menu online, there is a second menu of roughly equal length. Every item we ordered was very good, and one was well-nigh perfect, though the paper descriptions were sometimes slightly inaccurate. The wine list is also huge, and contains wines for many tastes. The service is as good as one could reasonably expect with a menu and serving system so complex (order roughly one per person, repeat). I wish we had a Zambra in Cincinnati; I'd go every week!Special Features:
- freddieDined on 10/21/2014Service was not great. Food was O K, Only did not tell us they were out of special until time for serving it. Did not offer another option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique dining experienceMjwfDined on 10/21/2014What I really enjoy at Zambras is the relaxing atmosphere and the unhurried way you can share each tapa as it arrives at your table. There are several ways you can dine, but I've always chosen to order as I go and take my time enjoying each dish. The service was outstanding, even during the busy late evening. I will definitely be back, as there are many more dishes I want to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dateLuv2wineDined on 10/20/2014We had an excellent time on out date. The cozy seating gave the evening an intimate feeling. The lighting was dimmed enough to be romantic and yet still enjoy the great small plates and presentation. Overall it was a wonderful night. Staff was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious selection of tapaspanama72Dined on 10/19/2014Our party of 8 ranged in age from 12 years old to mid-sixties. We had a great time sampling and sharing the dishes. Everything we ordered was delicious and the service was excellent. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobgbobgDined on 10/19/2014We went as a "family" group, with a wide range in ages and tastes. We ordered a range of tapas and everyone of them was delicious. Everyone loved the spring rolls and meatballs. My favorite was the lamb chops. Fried potato dish was outstanding. One or two in the party were apprehensive about trying new cuisine, but we won them over....they loved it. Service was outstanding as well. We ordered in "waves" and the flow kept new dishes arriving regularly. Great experience and we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Zambra does it againdarkhorseVIPDined on 10/18/2014One of the best restaurants in Asheville and definitely one of the best chefs. I wanted to order every dish off the daily menu!Special Features:
- Amazing tapas without the airfare!overthemoonDined on 10/18/2014We had wanted to go to another popular tapas restaurant, but when we couldn't get a reservation there we settled on Zambra...boy are we glad we did! It was absolutely amazing!!!! It was just as amazing as tapas that I've had in Madrid! The sangria del dia was phenomenal. We started with the cheese plate and patatas bravas and were completely blown away! The patatas bravas were perfect! Crispy on the outside and soft and pillowy on the inside! And the sauce....OMG!!!! We ordered several specials and each one was unique and flavorful! We love how the ingredients are locally sourced and in season. It was our first night in Asheville and it definitely set the tone for our trip! As for that other tapas place...there's no desire to go there! ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas!FoodsnobsDined on 10/17/2014We went to Zambra for our 25th wedding anniversary. We reserved a table through Open Table and when we got to the restaurant, we were seated within 5 minutes. It was a bustling place, with nice decor, an extensive wine and tapas list. My husband and I were pleased with the service. I know that many others have complained about slow service, but we found that all the servers helped out at ALL the tables. We never had to wait long for the next plate to come. The value was great. They use fresh and seasonal ingredients. My husband and I shared 6 plates total and we felt satisfied and not overwhelmingly full. Our favorites were the watercress caesar salad, grilled mushrooms and flank steak tapas. We highly recommend trying it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as usual!JenniferDined on 10/17/2014Zambra's ever-changing menu never fails to amaze or delight, and this dinner was no exception. The chickpeas are a hidden gem on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty TapasphreethynkerDined on 10/15/2014After tasting their delicious tapas on a food tour, we returned to Zambra for dinner. The food and drinks were both very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remains a favoriteLarryBDined on 10/15/2014This is a must repeat for us as the choices are always different, the preparation and presentation are delightful, and the atmosphere is enjoyable. You can try many dishes and not eat too much, but save room for the flan. The wine list is outstanding, always something good at a reasonable price.Special Features: