85 W. Walnut Street
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zambratapas.com/
- Phone: 8282321060
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Adam Bannasch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live entertainment on Fridays and Saturdays beginning at 8PM.
A word from Zambra Restaurant
Zambra is a gypsy dance of celebration, Arabic for 'flute', a wild bird, flamenco danced at a family gathering, a Moorish festival. Zambra is a group of talented people in Asheville, NC creating a feast for the senses. We create contemporary twists on the food of Spain and North Africa, and serve hundreds of wines from the land of the sun, the Iberian peninsula and all over the world. Zambra is a tapas bar and restaurant in downtown Asheville!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zambra Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Zambra Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (146)romantic (117)special occasion (99)notable wine list (74)good for groups (65)neighborhood gem (64)late-night find (42)hot spot (39)vibrant bar scene (38)great for outdoor dining (26)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Special event worthyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014We went for our anniversary on a Sunday night. We loved the decor and ambiance. The service was great. We found the prices were reasonable. We enjoy tapas and getting to try "a little of a lot," especially with such unusual selections as pork cheek (recommended), duck, and sweet potato wontons. The menu read well but the food was not as tasty as anticipated. It was not bad food, though. We didn't return anything and everything we ordered was a good temperature and as described. It was just "okay." Ex: The wontons had less than a bite of sweet potato in them and a lot of wonton. The gumbo was loaded with duck and crawfish but came with one puny slice of andouille and the broth tasted canned. Also, gumbo should have spice and this had none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great good, service was badOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014Really liked tapas, some not so great but the ones we liked were great..its just the flavors in others such as calamari plate and scallops plate didnt work. Martini s were excellent, hiwever took a long time to get since only one person making drinks. Our waitress was horrible, she was not attentive at all and for our first visit could of been more detailed and suggested items. She disappeared for literally 20 minutes when we were waiting for our check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodAVLFoodiesDined on 9/26/2014You can't go wrong with a trip to Zambra's. The food is always tasty and creative. If you like tapas, then Zambra's is definitely worth while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Favorite in AshevilleWickedGeishaDined on 9/23/2014I have been going to Zambra for some time and I am never disappointed. I love everything about it, the ambiance, amazing food, the music, the staff, the design, the elegance and playfulness, the warm and relaxed energy... I could be in any time or any place, (not necessarily Asheville). I always feel transported when I visit here and feel blisssed out when I leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful!emmaleeDined on 9/21/2014we went on a sunday night and practically had the place to ourselves. our server was attentive but not pushy at all, and super sweet. the food was incredible and the wine was just as everyone says- extensive list but really well curated. cozy and warm, even pillows on the banquette! definitely will be back, maybe with a few more folks.Special Features:
- Love the food here!ILoveToEatDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I love this restaurant. The restaurant is beautifully decorated in a Moroccan style, but a little dark so you have to look really close or have great night vision to really appreciate the decor. The food is awesome and never disappoints. Try the lamb... It's the best we've had. Food looks like it's straight out of the Food Network and tastes like it too. We've ate at high end restaurants we felt wasn't worth our money, but this place we came out less than 100 and very satisfied with the food and service. Pork belly was on the spealsocial menu and the best we've had too. Go and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- susanDined on 9/20/2014the food was amazing... the service was great/our server was attentive without being hovering/she was great.. it was too dark for some of us/6/ to read the menu so she brought us a flashlite... we were near the music which was quite loud but our server asked them to tune it down a bit she they did..Special Features:
- WonderfulLadiesniteoutDined on 9/20/2014This was just wonderful from food to service! Food arrived at just the right pace to allow party to talk and not feel rushed! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delivers the bestSGandMMDined on 9/20/2014We are out of towers who have visited Asheville at least 4 or 5 times a year for the past 7 years. We visit Zambra at least once per year and have never been disappointed. From wine to food: quality, presentation and service are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner!jomehuDined on 9/18/2014My daughter and I were looking for a place with great food and drink, not to noisy, great ambiance, and small plates. This fit the criteria. It was great.Special Features:
- Great Asheville find!mikes4himDined on 9/17/2014This is a great local place that a friend who lives in asheville recommended. We had the pork belly, several salads, the brisket, the amazing chicken, and the specialty cocktails were all wonderful. I specifically liked the "picture of you" drink. A lot like a Moscow mule. I will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of towner find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Visiting asheville and was recommended by 2 sources. Eclectic choices and accommodating wait staff made for an enjoyable experience. Try the pork rolls ,meatballs and large sumptuous salads. Great red sangria !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Teriffic placeNicknameVIPDined on 9/15/2014Perhaps the best tapas we've had in Asheville...just wonderful food and a great time!Special Features:
- A little underwhelmed...SurpriseVIPDined on 9/15/2014On Yelp it was rated the top Restaurant in Asheville. Maybe I was expecting too much or ordered the wrong thing. I would definitely go back and try it again. All those rave reviews can't be wrong.Special Features:
- One of the best meals of my lifeDebDDined on 9/13/2014Absoluletly delicious and inventive vegetarian dishes, amazing sangria and a romantic atmosphere. My husband and I went here for our anniversary, and the restaurant did not disappoint. The tofu tapas is a must, even my non vegetarian husband couldn't get enough of it. We will defiently be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodNeighbor57Dined on 9/13/2014I always enjoy the variety and selection from the regular menu as well as the specials of the day. Convenience to North Carolina Stage Co. is also a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zambra is always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014It's our go-to restaurant when we have tickets for NC Stage, which is right across the street. The service is excellent, and the food always interesting and beautifully presented. We have always found our servers to be quite knowledgeable about the food and drink menus, as well, which can be quite helpful.Special Features:
- Wow! A really special placebjjbDined on 9/9/2014We've dined twice here--once on a busy Saturday, once on a quiet Tuesday. We loved it both times! The variety of small plates provided plenty of room for adventure, and the quality was uniformly high. The wine list was magnificent, especially for its exceptional offering of half-bottles. Whether busy or not, the service was at least adequate and at times outstanding. Zambra's ranks at the top of our dining experiences over the last several years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Great food, great service, love the Moorish ambiance. The location on Walnut St., directly across from the Rankin St. garage (side entrance,) makes Zambra ideal for rainy nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates with great drinksHungryladyVIPDined on 9/4/2014Shared several small plates. Great choices and variety. Good cocktail list. Loved their winter sangria.
- Where are the people?DrJHADined on 9/3/2014We went on a Wednesday night... very few people were eating there... but they bunched us all up in one area. Restaurant is very dark. Good service but food was ok but not great.Special Features:
- Always goodZambraGroupieVIPDined on 9/2/2014Having eaten in Zambras many times, it never disappoints. The food is scrumptious, the service is superb, the ambience is romantic and the total experience is one you wish to relive night after night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulFoodieInWallingfordDined on 8/31/2014Loved the food and service was great - friendly, helpful and attentive without being cloying. Liked ordering lots of small plates, and the waitress was helpful in understanding how many to order and suggested timing. It's a little dark in the restaurant but it does create a nice atmosphere. Fun place. Was my husband's first choice of places to go while visiting Asheville and expectations were high, but they delivered. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Didnt think it was anything special. Did not care for the decor - felt like we were in the Flintstones. Waitress not overly friendly but di a decent job.Special Features:
- Balanced and delicious taste.FoodIntelligenceDined on 8/30/2014Wide range of appealing options. One of the best restaurants in AshevilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wine with one hiccupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014The food, as always is wonderful; such a variety of foods and flavors. And the wine list is extensive. The only issue (and this was the first time this has happened) our wait staff was, at times, down right rude and condescending. The couple next to us experienced the same thing from her. But her distain for both sets of tables did give us a reason to bond and have a very friendly and lively conversation with our dining neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAinWSOmainwsDined on 8/30/2014We had a fun time with our grandson who is very active but there was lots of activity in the restaurant and noise so hopefully we did not bother anyone. Great service. Active bar and happy groups.Special Features:
- JaneDined on 8/29/2014One of our favorites in AVL, we travel 45 min to eat there!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!KittyMcCabeDined on 8/29/2014I love everything about this restaurant! They have quite a few dishes that are or can be made gluten free and they are all amazing. The atmosphere is comfy and romantic, and the specialty drinks are tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with friendsmtnlovers2Dined on 8/29/2014an outstanding place to eat. Great food great service and great fun. Would recommend 2 anyone wanting to experience a nice dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Asheville Gem!FoodLover123Dined on 8/28/2014Zambra has been around for a while and throughout the years has maintained its excellent standards. The food is consistently first rate, the selection excellent, and the service extremely professional.Special Features:
- "old" Asheville Spanish tapas barPulpoDined on 8/27/2014I first found this place in 2011 on a visit to Asheville, and was pleased to see it is still there on my second visit in 2014 (I live 3000 miles away, thus the interval in time). Ate in the outdoor tunnel, which they had fixed up nicely. By day it is just a plain alleyway, but at night it is easy to imagine you are in Spain - I half expected the bill in Euros. Food was good, not the most expansive tapas menu ever, but perfectly satisfying. Am pleased to see a second Spanish restaurant has opened nearby, which I could not even get in to, so Asheville seems to know good cuisine when it tastes it. I was very happy to be back at Zambra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantLittleVIPDined on 8/26/2014Had a very good meal. Loved choosing tapas and sharing. Fun place to go with a group. Grilled scallops were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful experienceCwk4328Dined on 8/25/2014Of all the wonderful restaurants in Asheville, we find ourselves returning here time and time again. It is consistently very good. Great atmosphere. Wonderful for friends and family to share. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LIKE TAPAS - ZAMBRA'S IS FOR YOUliandmeDined on 8/25/2014Zambra's has become my daughter's favorite restaurant in Asheville whenever she comes to visit me. I second her choice. it has a lovely ambience and the food is really innovative and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014when we arrived at 6:15 and were sat next to the only other guests we decided not to make anything of it. What bothered us was when it became apparent that the band needed to set up where our table was and waitstaff, management and the band all began giving us the hairy eyeball to move. If you were planning on rushing our meal why did you sit us there in the first place?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapasAshleyDined on 8/23/2014Everything we ordered was excellent. Good service. Yummy sangria.Special Features:
- marine1Dined on 8/22/2014Nice selection for a birthday celebration. Seating in the rear of the restaurant is quieter and less hectic than the open area seating. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Instrumental music earlier in the evening would be a welcome addition.Special Features:
- GreatdiningAshevilleDined on 8/22/2014we enjoyed dinner before a play at the NC Stage Company. We selected from the regular menu and the specials menu. We ordered about ten tapas for four people which allowed us to taste lots of wonderful things. It was a lot of fun. Service was great. We plan to be back!Special Features:
- Zambra does it again!ZephbluedevilDined on 8/19/2014My boyfriend and I have been coming to Asheville to stay at the Grove Park in for the last three summers. We love the small town feel of Asheville but the revitalized downtown area with a vibrant food scene also attracts us. Some highlights from this trip were the pork cheek which was amazing! Tuna meatballs, fish, calamari, and beef hearts was also memorable. The creative yet not expensive menu provides lots of fun and creative combinations throughout the night. We always have a blast!Special Features: