85 W. Walnut Street
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zambratapas.com/
- Phone: 8282321060
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Adam Bannasch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live entertainment on Fridays and Saturdays beginning at 8PM.
A word from Zambra Restaurant
Zambra is a gypsy dance of celebration, Arabic for 'flute', a wild bird, flamenco danced at a family gathering, a Moorish festival. Zambra is a group of talented people in Asheville, NC creating a feast for the senses. We create contemporary twists on the food of Spain and North Africa, and serve hundreds of wines from the land of the sun, the Iberian peninsula and all over the world. Zambra is a tapas bar and restaurant in downtown Asheville!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Zambra Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Zambra Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (162)romantic (133)special occasion (110)notable wine list (94)neighborhood gem (77)good for groups (74)hot spot (47)late-night find (44)vibrant bar scene (41)great for outdoor dining (24)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (5)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Exceptional TapasSullmeisterDined on 10/23/2014I have never seen such a range of tapas: In addition to the full menu online, there is a second menu of roughly equal length. Every item we ordered was very good, and one was well-nigh perfect, though the paper descriptions were sometimes slightly inaccurate. The wine list is also huge, and contains wines for many tastes. The service is as good as one could reasonably expect with a menu and serving system so complex (order roughly one per person, repeat). I wish we had a Zambra in Cincinnati; I'd go every week!Special Features:
- Unique dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014What I really enjoy at Zambras is the relaxing atmosphere and the unhurried way you can share each tapa as it arrives at your table. There are several ways you can dine, but I've always chosen to order as I go and take my time enjoying each dish. The service was outstanding, even during the busy late evening. I will definitely be back, as there are many more dishes I want to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014We had an excellent time on out date. The cozy seating gave the evening an intimate feeling. The lighting was dimmed enough to be romantic and yet still enjoy the great small plates and presentation. Overall it was a wonderful night. Staff was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious selection of tapaspanama72Dined on 10/19/2014Our party of 8 ranged in age from 12 years old to mid-sixties. We had a great time sampling and sharing the dishes. Everything we ordered was delicious and the service was excellent. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobgOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014We went as a "family" group, with a wide range in ages and tastes. We ordered a range of tapas and everyone of them was delicious. Everyone loved the spring rolls and meatballs. My favorite was the lamb chops. Fried potato dish was outstanding. One or two in the party were apprehensive about trying new cuisine, but we won them over....they loved it. Service was outstanding as well. We ordered in "waves" and the flow kept new dishes arriving regularly. Great experience and we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Zambra does it againdarkhorseVIPDined on 10/18/2014One of the best restaurants in Asheville and definitely one of the best chefs. I wanted to order every dish off the daily menu!Special Features:
- Amazing tapas without the airfare!overthemoonDined on 10/18/2014We had wanted to go to another popular tapas restaurant, but when we couldn't get a reservation there we settled on Zambra...boy are we glad we did! It was absolutely amazing!!!! It was just as amazing as tapas that I've had in Madrid! The sangria del dia was phenomenal. We started with the cheese plate and patatas bravas and were completely blown away! The patatas bravas were perfect! Crispy on the outside and soft and pillowy on the inside! And the sauce....OMG!!!! We ordered several specials and each one was unique and flavorful! We love how the ingredients are locally sourced and in season. It was our first night in Asheville and it definitely set the tone for our trip! As for that other tapas place...there's no desire to go there! ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas!FoodsnobsDined on 10/17/2014We went to Zambra for our 25th wedding anniversary. We reserved a table through Open Table and when we got to the restaurant, we were seated within 5 minutes. It was a bustling place, with nice decor, an extensive wine and tapas list. My husband and I were pleased with the service. I know that many others have complained about slow service, but we found that all the servers helped out at ALL the tables. We never had to wait long for the next plate to come. The value was great. They use fresh and seasonal ingredients. My husband and I shared 6 plates total and we felt satisfied and not overwhelmingly full. Our favorites were the watercress caesar salad, grilled mushrooms and flank steak tapas. We highly recommend trying it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as usual!JenniferDined on 10/17/2014Zambra's ever-changing menu never fails to amaze or delight, and this dinner was no exception. The chickpeas are a hidden gem on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty TapasphreethynkerDined on 10/15/2014After tasting their delicious tapas on a food tour, we returned to Zambra for dinner. The food and drinks were both very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remains a favoriteLarryBDined on 10/15/2014This is a must repeat for us as the choices are always different, the preparation and presentation are delightful, and the atmosphere is enjoyable. You can try many dishes and not eat too much, but save room for the flan. The wine list is outstanding, always something good at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Nice evening but slow serviceMJL6482Dined on 10/11/2014We had an evening reservation at Zambras after getting a recommendation from our hotel and from Trip Advisor. Nice décor, hopping place with a packed restaurant and bar. We had about a 15 minute wait for our table even with reservation. Waitress was nice but really slow. Maybe had too many tables. She would leave way too long between visits and took forever to get drinks (likely not her fault although bartender seemed pretty quick when we were waiting). Food was good and came when each dish was ready which spaced out the meal (not necessarily a bad thing). Good value. Enjoyed the evening - only complaint was waitress slowness. Overall it was a good but not exceptional visit.
- Very busy, poor servicetraveler22Dined on 10/11/2014I went to Zambra for the first time to celebrate an anniversary, thinking it would be a lively but romantic spot with lots of vegetarian options. We were both underwhelmed with the food, and one of my tapas just never showed up. Our waitress was obviously very busy, but between this oversight and regular disappearing acts when we wanted to ask for more wine or the check, it wasn't a positive experience. They need to hire more waiters for busy nights to ensure diners have a good experience and dishes don't get lost in the shuffle.Special Features:
- Good Food but PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014we liked our experience, but found two couples our bill was around $170 with 8 toupas and 2 carafes of Sangria. The dishes were unusual and that was enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great Food, Service.TravelerVIPDined on 10/6/2014Comfortable, relaxed feel in this restaurant. The meatball tapas are always a highlight. I ordered the squash spaghetti dish and NC flounder taco specials - I'd order them again. They make a great martini, too. The quality of food and the service don't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceShupperDined on 10/3/2014My girlfriends and I went there to celebrate a special birthday and it was a perfect evening. The food was excellent and the service devine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncorrupted by the tourist sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/3/2014Zambra is a solid favorite for us, as locals. Unlike so many of the downtown restaurants, they have somehow remained uncorrupted by the ever growing tourist scene which seems to have degraded both the service and the food in a lot of downtown hot spots. The food at Zambra is always delicious and interesting and carefully prepared. The service is always excellent, and the ambience is never hectic, despite the crowds they draw. We had a great time this past Friday night, bringing guests from out of town. We will keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A slow night at Zambra'samitabha94Dined on 10/1/2014Haven't been in quite a while. Looks like Curate's has stolen much of the tapas thunder. Couldn't begin to get a table there even on a slowish Wednesday. But Zambra's was almost tomb like. Used to be packed and loud with a great bar scene. Tonight many empty tables, only a handful at the bar. The food's solid, but nothing special or noteworthy. The shrimp and spaghetti squash were my favorites. Continues to offer a good wine list. Kind of sad overall. Gonna have to up their game if they want to stay viable in my opinion.
- Special event worthyCrimsonsinger12Dined on 9/28/2014We went for our anniversary on a Sunday night. We loved the decor and ambiance. The service was great. We found the prices were reasonable. We enjoy tapas and getting to try "a little of a lot," especially with such unusual selections as pork cheek (recommended), duck, and sweet potato wontons. The menu read well but the food was not as tasty as anticipated. It was not bad food, though. We didn't return anything and everything we ordered was a good temperature and as described. It was just "okay." Ex: The wontons had less than a bite of sweet potato in them and a lot of wonton. The gumbo was loaded with duck and crawfish but came with one puny slice of andouille and the broth tasted canned. Also, gumbo should have spice and this had none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great good, service was badOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014Really liked tapas, some not so great but the ones we liked were great..its just the flavors in others such as calamari plate and scallops plate didnt work. Martini s were excellent, hiwever took a long time to get since only one person making drinks. Our waitress was horrible, she was not attentive at all and for our first visit could of been more detailed and suggested items. She disappeared for literally 20 minutes when we were waiting for our check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodAVLFoodiesDined on 9/26/2014You can't go wrong with a trip to Zambra's. The food is always tasty and creative. If you like tapas, then Zambra's is definitely worth while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Favorite in AshevilleWickedGeishaDined on 9/23/2014I have been going to Zambra for some time and I am never disappointed. I love everything about it, the ambiance, amazing food, the music, the staff, the design, the elegance and playfulness, the warm and relaxed energy... I could be in any time or any place, (not necessarily Asheville). I always feel transported when I visit here and feel blisssed out when I leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful!emmaleeDined on 9/21/2014we went on a sunday night and practically had the place to ourselves. our server was attentive but not pushy at all, and super sweet. the food was incredible and the wine was just as everyone says- extensive list but really well curated. cozy and warm, even pillows on the banquette! definitely will be back, maybe with a few more folks.Special Features:
- Love the food here!ILoveToEatDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I love this restaurant. The restaurant is beautifully decorated in a Moroccan style, but a little dark so you have to look really close or have great night vision to really appreciate the decor. The food is awesome and never disappoints. Try the lamb... It's the best we've had. Food looks like it's straight out of the Food Network and tastes like it too. We've ate at high end restaurants we felt wasn't worth our money, but this place we came out less than 100 and very satisfied with the food and service. Pork belly was on the spealsocial menu and the best we've had too. Go and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- susanDined on 9/20/2014the food was amazing... the service was great/our server was attentive without being hovering/she was great.. it was too dark for some of us/6/ to read the menu so she brought us a flashlite... we were near the music which was quite loud but our server asked them to tune it down a bit she they did..Special Features:
- WonderfulLadiesniteoutDined on 9/20/2014This was just wonderful from food to service! Food arrived at just the right pace to allow party to talk and not feel rushed! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delivers the bestSGandMMDined on 9/20/2014We are out of towers who have visited Asheville at least 4 or 5 times a year for the past 7 years. We visit Zambra at least once per year and have never been disappointed. From wine to food: quality, presentation and service are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner!jomehuDined on 9/18/2014My daughter and I were looking for a place with great food and drink, not to noisy, great ambiance, and small plates. This fit the criteria. It was great.Special Features:
- Great Asheville find!mikes4himDined on 9/17/2014This is a great local place that a friend who lives in asheville recommended. We had the pork belly, several salads, the brisket, the amazing chicken, and the specialty cocktails were all wonderful. I specifically liked the "picture of you" drink. A lot like a Moscow mule. I will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of towner find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Visiting asheville and was recommended by 2 sources. Eclectic choices and accommodating wait staff made for an enjoyable experience. Try the pork rolls ,meatballs and large sumptuous salads. Great red sangria !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Teriffic placeNicknameVIPDined on 9/15/2014Perhaps the best tapas we've had in Asheville...just wonderful food and a great time!Special Features:
- A little underwhelmed...SurpriseVIPDined on 9/15/2014On Yelp it was rated the top Restaurant in Asheville. Maybe I was expecting too much or ordered the wrong thing. I would definitely go back and try it again. All those rave reviews can't be wrong.Special Features:
- One of the best meals of my lifeDebDDined on 9/13/2014Absoluletly delicious and inventive vegetarian dishes, amazing sangria and a romantic atmosphere. My husband and I went here for our anniversary, and the restaurant did not disappoint. The tofu tapas is a must, even my non vegetarian husband couldn't get enough of it. We will defiently be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amandafoodieDined on 9/13/2014the ambiance was quite nice, minus the couple next to us who I guess insisted on sitting next to us on the same side of the booth which was shared by my table. That was quite awkward! As far as tapas goes, it was good, but definitely not great. the waitress recommended the spring roles, which were honestly awful. She said they were one of the most popular dishes, which was surprising. the rest of the food was decent, but not memorable. It's a fun atmosphere, but there are definitely better places to go in Asheville if you are looking for a culinary experience.Special Features:
- Reliably goodNeighbor57Dined on 9/13/2014I always enjoy the variety and selection from the regular menu as well as the specials of the day. Convenience to North Carolina Stage Co. is also a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zambra is always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014It's our go-to restaurant when we have tickets for NC Stage, which is right across the street. The service is excellent, and the food always interesting and beautifully presented. We have always found our servers to be quite knowledgeable about the food and drink menus, as well, which can be quite helpful.Special Features:
- Wow! A really special placebjjbDined on 9/9/2014We've dined twice here--once on a busy Saturday, once on a quiet Tuesday. We loved it both times! The variety of small plates provided plenty of room for adventure, and the quality was uniformly high. The wine list was magnificent, especially for its exceptional offering of half-bottles. Whether busy or not, the service was at least adequate and at times outstanding. Zambra's ranks at the top of our dining experiences over the last several years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Great food, great service, love the Moorish ambiance. The location on Walnut St., directly across from the Rankin St. garage (side entrance,) makes Zambra ideal for rainy nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates with great drinksHungryladyVIPDined on 9/4/2014Shared several small plates. Great choices and variety. Good cocktail list. Loved their winter sangria.
- Where are the people?DrJHADined on 9/3/2014We went on a Wednesday night... very few people were eating there... but they bunched us all up in one area. Restaurant is very dark. Good service but food was ok but not great.Special Features: