128 South 19th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.zamaphilly.com/
- Phone: 2155681027
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Hiroyuki "Zama" Tanaka
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private area located in the back of our restaurant for up to 22 people. Please call and we can work out a menu, menu build for all budgets.
- Private Party Contact: Bryon Phillips 2155681027
- Special Events: We can host large parties in our private dining room up to 20ppl. Buy outs are welcome.
A word from Zama
Traditional Japanese with modern twist. With unique specialty rolls and a full bar that features Japanese beers and large sake list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Zama reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)neighborhood gem (48)special occasion (39)romantic (32)great for lunch (31)hot spot (27)good for groups (20)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Enjoyed our dinner. Our only complaint is that the tables are too close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kindofafoodsnobDined on 9/13/2014We had a delicious meal here before a theater performance. Service was great.Special Features:
- AmazingGr8dinnerDined on 9/13/2014Best sushi in the city. Better than Morimoto...seriously. We were pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Our server was exceptional too. She pretty much recommended our entire meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingamil51Dined on 9/12/2014Zama far exceeded my expectations. The service staff was knowledgeable and informed my party that there were two separate kitchens therefore our food would come out staggered when prepared. Knowing this upfront set the precadence for how our meal would go, which i appreciated. The sushi was spectacular, fresh, and diverse. Do not pass up the opportunity to dine at Zama-minimalistic decor, helpful service, trendy yet not pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THERE IS ONLY ONE WORD BANGINGcal1dineVIPDined on 9/10/2014THERE IS ONLY ONE WORLD TO DISCRIBE ZAMA RESTAARANT PHILADELPHIA AND THAT IS BANGING!!!. FROM THE TIME THAT WE GOT TO THE RESTAURANT IT WAS PURE LOVE. WE HAD THE GRAND PLEASURE OF SITTING AT THE #1 SUSHI BAR IN ALL PHILA AND TO ADD CHEF ZAMA WAS THERE AND PERSONLY COOKED FOR US. THE MAGIC OF CHEF ZAMA IS OF THE MASTERS. THIS IS THE FINEST JAPANESE CHEF EVER TO COOK FOR ME. THERE WAS MULTIPLE DISHES THAT WERE CREATED FOR US AND EVERY ONE JUST ROCKED. NOW THE FISH AS TO BE EXPECTED ONLY THE BEST AND LAST NIGHT THE OTORO MELTED IN OUR MOUTH LIKE A STICK OF BUTTER.THE SERVICE ROCKED AND THE FOOD THE BEST THAT $$$ CAN BUY. IF YOU WANT THE FINEST JAPANESE IN ALL PHILADELPHIA THEN I GIVE YOU CHEF ZAMA THE #1 JAPANESE CHEF IN ALL PHILA!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Zama's sushi fish is excellent but they are clearly budget conscious -- lots of frills and lots of rice in a bowl that's fairly expensive, without much fish to speak of. Delicious, but probably not worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Feast for stomach and eye :)phillyfoodVIPDined on 9/7/2014The food was a feast for our stomachs and eyes. A special Thank you to Steven for a wonderful service, and to the kitchen for their handling of food allergies.Special Features:
- Miso glazed CodeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I was shocked how terrible the miso glazed code (the bento box). I remember how great it was previously. The service was great as usual and everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good place for lunch!RsspDined on 8/30/2014The food was good. Nothing to over the top I would say. We had two of thier signature special sushi rolls and 1 roll from the regular sushi menu and preferred the regular roll over the two specials that we had.Special Features:
- Incredible sashimi selectionmiamiforlifeVIPDined on 8/26/2014This Japanese gem stands out for its cold dishes. The Black Belt Sashimi/sushi combinations provide rare cuts of fish such as Bluefin tuna at a relatively affordable price. The food is at once authentic and innovative. There are numerous traditional Japanese hot and cold dishes, as well as innovative new creations. Try the Zahav roll - it combines Mediterranean and Japanese cuisine and is very tasty. The ambience is minimal, but the sushi is the best I have had in the city and is affordable relative to other Center City restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenthighexpVIPDined on 8/24/2014Loved Zama! The ambiance, which doesn't usually matter much to me, was lovely. Most important were that the serving staff were very patient with questions and immediately gave us details about specials, but not in that usual rote way. The sushi and seaweed salad were outstanding, as were my dining partner's sashimi. Go! it's terrific.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Great sushi and lovely atmosphere. Much better than many other sushi places around Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidSDined on 8/22/2014Family favorite. A different league than most of its rivals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhhOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a reservation and got there a little early. We were rewarded by being sat next to the bathroom! Mind you it was empty. Our appetizers came out individually which we thought was odd, but umm ok. My entree arrived and then my partners didn't arrive for over 20 minutes. No apologies. We weren't impressed. At. All.
- AbsolutelySensationalSalmonSashimi!JoeysMyraDined on 8/3/2014I love raw Salmon. I could live on it and I often do. I live in New York and I have a few favorites there, but Zama's salmon is worth every $3.50 per slice. I never order the chef's choice. What do I care what he likes. I order my choice and it's always Salmon. Zama's salmi was superb! I can't wait for a reason to visit Philly again so I can scoop more of it up.Special Features:
- Best Sushi Ever.BarbLDined on 8/2/2014Zama is so much better then Morimoto and other top Sushi houses. Creative, innovative...and the flavored were outstanding. Presentation beautiful. Our waitress Sam was so knowledgable she could even tell us the hidden spice in the short rib small bite selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRickJBDined on 8/1/2014Great food as always. Excellent sushi and othe Japanese specialties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fefeDined on 7/30/2014Really great sushi! Service was wonderful, drinks and sake selection outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Food and presentation were great service was the worstSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJillyeatsPhillyVIPDined on 7/30/2014Menu and Maki selections in particular had no descriptions of content. Server had attitude when asked. Rice on rolls was dried out. Service was poor. Water glasses empty for most if the meal. When we asked for replenishment, we got half a glass. Don't waste your time going when there are so many fabulous options in the city.
- Great food, mediocre servicekitoconnorVIPDined on 7/25/2014Came here to celebrate a job offer. For a Friday night at 9:00pm, the place was not as full as we would have expected. The food was absolutely delicious! We ordered a combination of both hot food and maki rolls. The Hamachi Tataki was wonderful, as was the spider roll. Unfortunately, the high quality of the food was undermined by the mediocre service and ambiance. The restaurant was absolutely freezing. Two couples who were seated next to us had to relocate and I was so cold that we rushed our meal. Additionally, service was mediocre. Our waiter told us that he couldn't wait to get off and didn't really want to pick up our table. I didn't know how we were supposed to respond to that but it was so cold we were out within an hour anyway!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodNeilSVIPDined on 7/25/2014I come to Zama often, and I never leave disappointed. And the wait staff is great - well-versed in the menu and specials and attentive.Special Features:
- A sublime mealTaboa67Dined on 7/25/2014We had the chef's menu. It was delicious at every turn. Completely worth the surplurge. Definitely would do it again.Special Features:
- LOVE!PhillyfoodieDined on 7/23/2014My favorite restaurant and sushi restaurant in Philadelphia. The food is fresh, inventive, and always delicious. Great cocktail and sake selection. I try to get dinner here once a month with friends, and it never disappoints. Great service, amazing food! Will always go to zama for great sushi, ambiance, and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiedudieVIPDined on 7/22/2014I can't believe I have never set foot in Zama before, but certainly will again. Nice vibe and great value lunch with salad, miso soup, edamame and maki/nigiri. Good quality fish and lovely room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really greatNMonsterVIPDined on 7/22/2014very good lunch. one of the best sushi restaurants that I've been to in a long time.Special Features:
- SLOW serviceleeseaVIPDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant was okay. The food was fine but the sushi took forever and my husband was finished with his meal before we even got ours. Dessert was another 20 minutes.Special Features:
- pricey, but worth itomnivoreDined on 7/18/2014Creative Japanese cuisine done right. The sake flights are great, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative & QualityMikeVIPDined on 7/15/2014Dinner with six friends here was incredible. We shared a lot of what was ordered and loved everything. Many of the offerings were unexpectedly original yet still of the high quality of the classic menu items. The atmosphere is perfect too! The price was reasonable considering this is among the best in the city.Special Features:
- A Wonderful SpotMicrodinoDined on 7/12/2014Girlfriend and I were lucky enough to have a gift card from a family friend to Zama and were able to spend a bit out of our normal budget and enjoy Zama. After a truly fantastic experience with an amazing waiter and wonderful food we'll be saving up to go back as soon as possible. The sushi is incredibly well prepared and fresh and the ingenuity of the bite sized variants of the main courses really let us get the full menu experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatparentsnightoutDined on 7/11/2014Every time we come here we are impressed with the quality and originality of the sushi. You've done it again, and we will be back!Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceRobertVIPDined on 7/10/2014Server very pleasant, but not well trained. Food not served intelligently or deliberately enough for a business lunch. Very good food but overpriced.
- Unique and Delicious SushiPhillyFoodieVIPDined on 7/6/2014This small space has the best sushi I've ever had. I keep going back! I highly recommend the Bronzizzle and the Wasabi Tuna. The flavors are so great that they don't require additional wasabi or soy sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian delightFoodieVIPDined on 6/29/2014I enjoy this Restaurent. Food is always fresh. The tuna is particularly well prepared as well as their version of Miso soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!LindaDined on 6/28/2014The food was excellent, best sushi place we've ever been to in the city. Ambience was very very simple, almost stark but fitting for the type of place it is, focus is on the food. Tables a little close to each other but not an unusual set up compared to other great restaurants. Bronzizzle role was excellent, pork dumplings excellent, sashimi sampler excellent.Special Features:
- Eh?JohnDined on 6/27/2014Eh? Worth maybe half what I paid. Sservice was slow! Food was ok. Really disappointing overall
- Loved my dining at zama!FoodieVIPDined on 6/20/2014Went here with a friend and we haven't stopped talking about the sushi. The Philly style was awesome as well as the sesame salmon. Already can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in RittenhouseAmanda77Dined on 6/20/2014Wonderful sushi spot with clean flavors, great ambience and fantastic service. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- SherryVIPDined on 6/16/2014awesome sushi!!! Very fresh and the fired brussel sprouts are the best thing that I have ever tasted.Special Features:
- Excellent Sushi!JJonesDined on 6/16/2014I have worked in Center City for several years now and this was my first time to Zama. I have to say the sushi was incredible as I have eaten at numerous sushi places and this restaurant is definitely in my top 3 now. I will be going back multiple times with coworkers, family and friends.Special Features: