128 South 19th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.zamaphilly.com/
- Phone: (215) 568-1027
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Hiroyuki "Zama" Tanaka
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private area located in the back of our restaurant for up to 22 people. Please call and we can work out a menu, menu build for all budgets.
- Private Party Contact: Bryon Phillips 2155681027
- Special Events: We can host large parties in our private dining room up to 20ppl. Buy outs are welcome.
A word from Zama
Traditional Japanese with modern twist. With unique specialty rolls and a full bar that features Japanese beers and large sake list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Zama reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (93)special occasion (37)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (30)great for lunch (25)good for groups (23)romantic (22)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Zama = FabwineguyVIPDined on 11/21/2014Zama is still great! Impeccably presented fresh fish, great cooked food as well. Delicious Gruner Celtliner for $38/bottle. Don't miss the Bronzizzle and Surfer rolls. Hamachi w jalapeno and ponzu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi is fresh and delicious.YumInMyTumVIPDined on 11/15/2014The sushi here is always fresh and delicious. The bronzizzle roll is pretty special! They also have additions to the menu each night and some rather adventurous options. Great selection of cocktails, wine, sake, and beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2014Went here on a recommendation from a friend. Sushi selections were excellent, Chef Zama doesn't dissapoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteGoffgreenDined on 11/14/2014Zama is currently my favorite restaurant in Philadelphia. The creativity of the menu and boldness of the flavors are almost unbelievable. We especially liked the Branzizzle, the black cod dice, and the calamari salad, which we split.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Philly Roll!tropwesVIPDined on 11/8/2014I specifically chose Zama for it's specialty rolls. My wife and I love great sushi restaurants and Zama's menu is strong on specialty particularly if you are interested in Sashimi. We chose the surfer, zahav and spicy lobster rolls... but it was the final selection, the PHILLY ROLL, that was out of this world. We love Zahav and thought the Zahav roll which was special would be the top choice. The Philly roll was very unconventional and worth every penny. We loved it so much, we ordered a second round. The beef, cheese, onion, rice and soy paper... and the presentation are a wow. I normally love large pieces of Sashimi and the menu offered a number of specialty options there. I will go back for that... and the Philly roll!Special Features:
- MetzVIPDined on 10/30/2014Food very good with different combos. Drinks expensive, but ok. Our server, Sam, was exceptional. Great service and nice and funny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi!LaurieVIPDined on 10/26/2014Honestly, this is consistently the best sushi and sushi experience. I haven't personally found a better menu or quality in any other cities, New York included. Chef Zama is incredibly talented and the food is amazing! HIGHLY recommend.Special Features:
- Great dinner and martinisHappyinBoulderVIPDined on 10/25/2014The $55 chef tasting menu was outstanding and great value. The biggest surprise was the $11 sapphire martini on a Saturday night no less. This wasn't a small martini glass but the regular size. So, even if you don't like Japanese, just start your night with a reasonably priced drink at Zama.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, But Little of ItOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014Did tasting menu - wow each course of was amazing....but problem was there was very little food (ended up getting a cheeseburger afterwards) .Special Features:
- spotleoDined on 10/23/2014Dinner was very good.Fish was awesome....Enjoyed the cooked food as wellSpecial Features:
- Just ok...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Zama was not what I expected. The sushi was just okay. I think there are many other places in the city that make inexpensive and better sushi. The service could have been better (waiter forgot to bring our wine and needed to be reminded). One thing that was very good was the edamame sampler.
- Been betterMJOLDined on 10/17/2014I love this restaurant, but this visit was not the best. They took my favorite item (wasabi salmon) off the menu since the last I went in late spring. I was very disappointed since I brought my family there to try it. Sushi was good, but not as good as usual. The waitress was very helpful, especially about gluten-free options for one person in our party. She even recommended another place for gluten-free dessert since the restaurant didn't really have good GF dessert options.Special Features:
- amazing sushimattphillyVIPDined on 10/17/2014Easily the best sushi restaurant I've been to. Delicious food along with some of the best service. The wait staff always has great recommendations and spot on descriptions of each dish for anyone suffering from indecisiveness. The black cod dice appetizer is excellent and a must for your first visit. It'll make a great first impression for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 95% perfectPhillyfamilyDined on 10/17/2014The server went above and beyond. When we asked about the sake he brought us a sample of one that he thought would be good for us, and it was great. The service in general was very attentive yet not obtrusive at all. Some of the food was exquisite - the black cod "Bite" especially. The tempura was fine (nothing special), but the dipping sauce was really good. The "charity roll" with the escargot was the only weak spot. While the combination of the vegetables in the roll itself were excellent and texture of the escargot on top was wonderful, the sauce used on the escargot was overwhelming with a dark salty taste that overpowered the more delicate flavors of the roll. The Japanese beer selection was good but pricey. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Delicious and oh so accommodating.FoodisfunVIPDined on 10/16/2014My dining partner was running late so we were last to order and our waitress couldn't have been nicer or more gracious. Food was scrumptious as ever. Love the salmon skin salad, jalapeño yellowtail, dumplings, crunchy tubs and cod dice. The chicken skewers not as much. Always a great meal in this neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, unique, creativeTKandMeDined on 10/11/2014Wow what an incredible dining experience! I had heard this place was great, but was expecting a typical sushi place. Couldn't be further from it! Wasabi roll, vetri roll, the edamame with 3 different salts, the Brussel sprout side dish, all amazing. Fun lively atmosphere, not 'sceney', excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, decent sushiDevinDined on 10/9/2014Took gf for bday dinner, as it was recommended to her by a local food critic. Great atmosphere, the staff overall was super friendly (I think we were thanked for coming/told to enjoy our evening 6 separate times between getting up and making it to the sidewalk, which was kind of comical), but our server seemed a bit aloof - both helpful and disinterested at alternating intervals throughout the meal. Miso Soup - luke warm; Wasabi Tuna roll - awesome; Surfer roll - good; cheese steak roll (got for novelty's sake) was unnecessary - felt like I paid $21 for a chz steak empanada; Chirashi which I was super excited for had suprisingly little fish on it for $25 (but soft shell shrimp nomnom!)... cool place, but way overpriced for what's deliveredSpecial Features:
- Incredible- like usual!Lrichards642Dined on 10/1/2014Zama is always on point with their sushi game. One of my top favorite restaurants in the city. Fish is always incredibly fresh and delicious. Being a sashimi fan, the freshness is very important. Had the surfer roll, citrus fluke, the sashimi appetizer, oshinko side and a few other items. Brian, our server, was outstanding. Great customer service and super friendly and knowledgable. It was my friends first time at Zama and he spent some time eating sushi in Japan and was extremely impressed by Zama. Of course, I will be back. Not my first rodeo at Zama and won't be my last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The server differenceMoi1VIPDined on 10/1/2014I had been here once before and thought it was great. After my last time, I doubt I will be back. The first time was for dinner and we tried a lot. Last time, was for lunch and we had the sashimi bento box. We would have tried more, but for the server's lack of helpfulness. When we asked her what the Japanese Classics were (about 10 listed at the end of the menu, with names in Japanese and no descriptions), her response was to ask us if she really had to go through them all. We asked how else would we know what they were? When asked for a recommendation, she told us that it depended on what we liked, but didn't volunteer more. Too bad, as the first time, we were guided in our ordering and the overall experience was completely different.
- High quality and authentic styleDSuzukiDined on 9/30/2014Excellent sushi and sashimi, with what it takes - very high quality fish selection, with great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodJunebugDined on 9/25/2014The philly roll is awesome but it's very loud and lacks much scenery but overall great food and drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi!keplertrackerDined on 9/17/2014You come here for fresh fish, then splurge a bit and go for the black belt tasting menu - its worth the extra $20 to sample the seasonal and more exotic fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch!awaxDined on 9/16/2014The restaurant seems to be a hit for business workers on their lunch break. The food was delicious, especially the udon soup. Sushi was fresh. The restaurant week menu was a great deal. Good for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Enjoyed our dinner. Our only complaint is that the tables are too close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kindofafoodsnobDined on 9/13/2014We had a delicious meal here before a theater performance. Service was great.Special Features:
- AmazingGr8dinnerDined on 9/13/2014Best sushi in the city. Better than Morimoto...seriously. We were pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Our server was exceptional too. She pretty much recommended our entire meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingamil51Dined on 9/12/2014Zama far exceeded my expectations. The service staff was knowledgeable and informed my party that there were two separate kitchens therefore our food would come out staggered when prepared. Knowing this upfront set the precadence for how our meal would go, which i appreciated. The sushi was spectacular, fresh, and diverse. Do not pass up the opportunity to dine at Zama-minimalistic decor, helpful service, trendy yet not pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THERE IS ONLY ONE WORD BANGINGcal1dineVIPDined on 9/10/2014THERE IS ONLY ONE WORLD TO DISCRIBE ZAMA RESTAARANT PHILADELPHIA AND THAT IS BANGING!!!. FROM THE TIME THAT WE GOT TO THE RESTAURANT IT WAS PURE LOVE. WE HAD THE GRAND PLEASURE OF SITTING AT THE #1 SUSHI BAR IN ALL PHILA AND TO ADD CHEF ZAMA WAS THERE AND PERSONLY COOKED FOR US. THE MAGIC OF CHEF ZAMA IS OF THE MASTERS. THIS IS THE FINEST JAPANESE CHEF EVER TO COOK FOR ME. THERE WAS MULTIPLE DISHES THAT WERE CREATED FOR US AND EVERY ONE JUST ROCKED. NOW THE FISH AS TO BE EXPECTED ONLY THE BEST AND LAST NIGHT THE OTORO MELTED IN OUR MOUTH LIKE A STICK OF BUTTER.THE SERVICE ROCKED AND THE FOOD THE BEST THAT $$$ CAN BUY. IF YOU WANT THE FINEST JAPANESE IN ALL PHILADELPHIA THEN I GIVE YOU CHEF ZAMA THE #1 JAPANESE CHEF IN ALL PHILA!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - overpricedPhillySDined on 9/10/2014Zama's sushi fish is excellent but they are clearly budget conscious -- lots of frills and lots of rice in a bowl that's fairly expensive, without much fish to speak of. Delicious, but probably not worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Feast for stomach and eye :)phillyfoodVIPDined on 9/7/2014The food was a feast for our stomachs and eyes. A special Thank you to Steven for a wonderful service, and to the kitchen for their handling of food allergies.Special Features:
- Miso glazed CodeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I was shocked how terrible the miso glazed code (the bento box). I remember how great it was previously. The service was great as usual and everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good place for lunch!RsspDined on 8/30/2014The food was good. Nothing to over the top I would say. We had two of thier signature special sushi rolls and 1 roll from the regular sushi menu and preferred the regular roll over the two specials that we had.Special Features:
- Incredible sashimi selectionmiamiforlifeVIPDined on 8/26/2014This Japanese gem stands out for its cold dishes. The Black Belt Sashimi/sushi combinations provide rare cuts of fish such as Bluefin tuna at a relatively affordable price. The food is at once authentic and innovative. There are numerous traditional Japanese hot and cold dishes, as well as innovative new creations. Try the Zahav roll - it combines Mediterranean and Japanese cuisine and is very tasty. The ambience is minimal, but the sushi is the best I have had in the city and is affordable relative to other Center City restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenthighexpVIPDined on 8/24/2014Loved Zama! The ambiance, which doesn't usually matter much to me, was lovely. Most important were that the serving staff were very patient with questions and immediately gave us details about specials, but not in that usual rote way. The sushi and seaweed salad were outstanding, as were my dining partner's sashimi. Go! it's terrific.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/22/2014Great sushi and lovely atmosphere. Much better than many other sushi places around Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidSDined on 8/22/2014Family favorite. A different league than most of its rivals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhhOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a reservation and got there a little early. We were rewarded by being sat next to the bathroom! Mind you it was empty. Our appetizers came out individually which we thought was odd, but umm ok. My entree arrived and then my partners didn't arrive for over 20 minutes. No apologies. We weren't impressed. At. All.
- AbsolutelySensationalSalmonSashimi!JoeysMyraDined on 8/3/2014I love raw Salmon. I could live on it and I often do. I live in New York and I have a few favorites there, but Zama's salmon is worth every $3.50 per slice. I never order the chef's choice. What do I care what he likes. I order my choice and it's always Salmon. Zama's salmi was superb! I can't wait for a reason to visit Philly again so I can scoop more of it up.Special Features:
- Best Sushi Ever.BarbLDined on 8/2/2014Zama is so much better then Morimoto and other top Sushi houses. Creative, innovative...and the flavored were outstanding. Presentation beautiful. Our waitress Sam was so knowledgable she could even tell us the hidden spice in the short rib small bite selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRickJBDined on 8/1/2014Great food as always. Excellent sushi and othe Japanese specialties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.