237 Saint James Place
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
Middle EasternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zahavrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2156258800x
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
HAPPY HOUR: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Michael Solomonov
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties for 9 - 50 people. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability and menu details.
- Private Party Contact: Kari-Lee MacDonald 2156253977x
- Special Events: Rehearsal Dinners, Cocktail Receptions, Wine Tastings, Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs.
A word from Zahav
Zahav showcases the Israeli-Mediterranean cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Solomonov. In 2008, Zahav was named one of Esquire's Top 20 New Restaurants in America and Philadelphia Magazine selected Zahav as its Best New Restaurant.Continued
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Zahav - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Zahav reviews from OpenTable diners
490 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (411)special occasion (326)good for groups (198)hot spot (198)neighborhood gem (174)romantic (144)notable wine list (95)vibrant bar scene (66)scenic view (48)late-night find (32)kid-friendly (17)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Outstanding dining experiencePhillyAmyDined on 9/16/2014Everything you have heard about Zahav is true, and the long wait to get a reservation is totally understandable! From the beautiful and fresh salads, the interesting mezze and the excellent "main"...all the way through to the creative and delicious desserts, this restaurant was a special treat.Special Features:
- Outstanding DinnerChrisVIPDined on 9/15/2014Zahav prepares good food, and they prepare it well -- very well. Recommend going with small group to share dishes to experience more of the options. Restaurant week or Sunday tasting menu will give you a good experience of the different options at this 5-star restaurant. Complimentary sparkling water and good wines nicely complement the meal.Special Features:
- Great foodie experienceJackDined on 9/15/2014My fiance and I have been wanting to try Zahav for so long. Glad we finally bit the bullet and did it. The food was so flavorful and seasoned so well. So many different choices. The hummus truly brought me back to my time spent in israel. Service was great - the waiter was incredibly friendly and my water glass never dropped below half empty. Great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2014I came here for restaurant week with some friends. The small plates allowed us to share and sample so many dishes! There are a lot of vegetarian options. Standouts included: Fried Haloumi, Fried Cauliflower, and the hummus.Special Features:
- Magnificent Friday EveningRosieVIPDined on 9/14/2014Our first visit to Zahav was absolute perfection (with the exception of the cold AC temperature). The Restaurant Week menu was incredibly unique. The hummus course was rich and flavorful w/ ingredients, incl. tabbouleh & eggplant served with the laffa bread. Crispy haloumi, grape leaves & grilled duck hearts from the mezze course were amazing. Our main courses, ribeye cap & branzino, were also exceptional. We finished with French press coffee & dessert of almond chocolate cake to die for. Service throughout the meal was polished and so coordinated they should give lessons to other restaurants on how it is done. Our total bill was less than we have ever spent for such a carefully executed and finely prepared meal. Truly magnificent!Special Features:
- Best Meal I've ever eaten!GinaDDined on 9/13/2014I would highly recommend Zahav to anyone! The food is amazing. I tried food I normally wouldn't have eaten and I was so surprised how wonderful the food was. The portions are perfect and left feeling very satisfied and full! It's very reasonably priced as well. We're already planning our next trip back!Special Features:
- So good I can't wait to go back!JustinDined on 9/13/2014Seriously, Zahav is one of the best meals I've ever had. Everything was so flavorful and different from dish to dish. We went during restaurant (our anniversary just happens to fall during restaurant week) and the service and food was still stellar even though it was hopping the entire time we were there. The hummus and fried haloumi were definitely some of my favorite items though really you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Truly a remarkable culinary experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Perfect in every way. Delicious food. Generous portions. Great drinks. Solid service with an extra touch - bonus champagne for our anniversary! We cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGGGG!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014Salatim and hummus are undoubtedly my favorite part!Special Features:
- The best since I moved to the USCasitaDined on 9/9/2014We went during Restaurant week. The food was fantastic, the service outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, great foodBobbyDined on 9/9/2014My girlfriend and I went here for Restaurant Week, and we really enjoyed it! We got a lot of appetizers/things for the table to start with, and the main course was very good. They waited for us to be finished with one course before asking us if we wanted the other one brought out, which was considerate. There was some sort of mix-up earlier so we had to wait a few minutes for our table (we made reservations, obviously) but the host was very apologetic. Dessert was fantastic as well!Special Features:
- AmazingfoodieDined on 9/9/2014I went for restaurant week with my friends, the food was great - I liked the variety that we could enjoy given that we were a big group. The waiter was also super accommodating of the fact that my friends had to leave early. All in all, great experience. I would go back again even without restaurant week deals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/9/2014The food was AMAZING! I heard so much about the chef and it is all true. Have missed out on several chances to dine here due to weather complications but finally got in and it was so worth the wait. The service was good but our waiter didn't get many points when with very expensive wine recommendations.Special Features:
- Best Hummus EverStephSaltDined on 9/9/2014My husband and I went to Zahav during restaurant week; it was our first visit. Hands down my favorite part of the meal was the hummus. My husband got the duck hearts and sable as the mezze course, and now he loves (insert duck heart) duck hearts. He said they reminded him of filet mignon. The sable was good. I got the fried cauliflower and grape leaves. The cauliflower was very tasty, and the grape leaves were good, but nothing special. For the Al Ha'esh my husband got the duck kabobs and I got the Branzino. My husband really enjoyed the Duck kabobs. It was my first time having Branzino and I thought it was a little "fishy", not sure if this particular fish just has a naturally strong fish taste. Overall it was a good meal.Special Features:
- OutstandingZahavfanDined on 9/8/2014I have been in Philly for over 8 years and have eaten much (but not all!) of what the city has to offer. This is, by far, one of the best restaurants in the city. I would highly recommend the tasting menu for groups! Course after course brought waves of interesting flavors. Service was friendly, yet unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingAndidialed911Dined on 9/8/2014Went for restaurant week. The food was so good. The Yemenite stew was my favorite the meat waste tally so tender it fell apart when pushed by a forkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zahav is AmazingPharmbaDined on 9/7/2014I love this restaurant. Amazing service and delicious food, I will definitely come back to Zahav.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely FantasticKeshuaFanDined on 9/6/2014Just an absolutely fantastic meal at the lovely Zahav. The ambience was incredible and the food was even better. We got the Tayim (highly recommended) and everything was so good. The laffa bread was like an lighter and improved pita bread and the hummus had a delightful nutty aftertaste. The salatim was also delicious and I highly recommend the chicken freekah, haloumi and tomatoes. An awesome meal!!Special Features:
- Great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Whether it is for a romantic evening or for few hours with friends, Zahav is the place to go to have an exotic foody experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great representation of the regionWMColmes14VIPDined on 9/6/2014Went w/3 mezze. Not a fan of mezze type places bc of speed, we were done/out the door in 40 mins. Duck hearts w/sweet corn - nice and inventive dish, duck was tender which is surprising for the organ. Kibbe naya had walnuts / olives / raw lamb - fresh and clean, but not the best thing. Surprisingly the grilled haloumi with a walnut/date paste and pickled onion was best. The salt of the cheese w/sweet and sour crunch of the onion was great. Been to the region a lot and am very aware of the flavors. I'd recommend this place as special occasion for the tasting menus. If we lived nearby we'd hit here every 2-3 months;wouldn't choose it as as special occasion place. Want similar food monthly? LebaneseSpecial Features:
- Bland and SaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014The Turkish hummus was great. Every other plate was way too salty.
- Delicious & DiversedinnerclubDined on 9/4/2014The service was impeccable. The server was happy to explain (multiple times) how the tasting menu worked. It was also nice to have the dishes come out one at a time. It was timed perfectly, and although we were stuffed by the end, it was only because it was all delicious. We tried so many different and new food items. We had a group of 6 people and the set up of the tasting menus worked perfectly for us. We liked that we also weren't rushed to get through our dinner either. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Finally got the lamb!!StarvingartistVIPDined on 9/3/2014There were 4 of us and we went for the chefs choice which included the famous lamb. It was just as great as we had heard. But you must go very hungry as it's a great deal if food .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why have I not been here beforeeatnowrunlaterDined on 9/2/2014I went with a group of friends to celebrate a close friend who is sadly leaving Philly for Chicago and she mentioned that Zahav was one of the places she had to go before leaving. From the first to the last bit she kept saying "why have I not been here before?". We had the tasting menu which gave us more than enough food and the chance to try nearly everything. Our server did an amazing job right up till the end. While this was my fourth time here every meal has been just as great.Special Features:
- Israeli Tapas!amzmanVIPDined on 9/2/2014We came to celebrate both a Birthday and an Anniversary, it was a new cuisine for us both and we were excited to try it with all the wonderful raving reviews and high ratings. This place was spectacular and the Duck Hearts were amazing. There was one dish that really disappointed and that was the Chicken Liver, I was expecting a completely different flavor and texture whereas the liver was large and chewy here. With that said the rest was spectacular and I would definitely come to this place again if I were in the downtown Philly area. We both ordered the smaller tasting menu which included an appetizer, 2 small plates, and one large plate per person. I recommend going this route to try many items from their menu vs ordering ala carte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas can fill you up!NitiVIPDined on 9/1/2014Returned to Zahav after many years - always had difficulty getting reservations. So glad we got to have dinner last weekend. They have added more vegetarian items on the menu. We were full with the large salatim and hummus, warm Turkish hummus, fried cauliflower, zucchini & heirloom tomatoes. Everything was super flavorful and the warm laffa bread is to die for! The harissa hot sauce added a kick. Didn't order the main course as we were satisfied, but glad we save room for dessert. The Chocolate Halwa Mousse is a must!!! Our friends ordered chicken, lamb & fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise Level Can Ruin a Great MealFishtacoVIPDined on 8/30/2014Excellent food & service are not the only ingrediants for an exceptional meal. When the volume of other diners and the "background" music make it almost impossible to carry on a pleasant conversation even when there are only two at your table, the social element of the dining experience can be severely hampered. That was true for us on Saturday evening. If it weren't for the creative menu offerings, the excellent food itself, and the very attentive service, we would not give Zahav another try -- but we will in the hope that our next experience there (perhaps at a different time or in the main dining room) may be more pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment, Given the HypeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014We booked table here from out of town based on the exceptional reviews. We were simply not impressed by the food at Zahav - it generally ranged from mediocre (salatim, knafeh, etc.) to downright inedible (mushroom entree). The fried cheese dish tasted like dried toast, and the hummus was tahini-heavy and just not very good. Perhaps we've both been spoiled by great Middle Eastern food both at home and abroad in the region, but, given the hype, this dining experience may have been amongst the biggest let-downs in our adult lives. Overall, would say the food was just ok...certainly not worthy of any awards or rave reviews. Just our two cents, as Israeli- and Arab-Americans with plenty of Middle East cuisine experience under our belts.Special Features:
- Zahav is once again a home runDRTNDined on 8/30/2014Arrived on Saturday night with two friends from out of town. We were seated in the second room- a somewhat private booth, which was both comfortable and good for the noise level. The food was awesome as ussual. And they accommodated our party of two vegetarians and two carnivores by serving us both the lamb shoulder and two veggie plates. Yum! You must be ready for a festival of tastes!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodSoleilDined on 8/30/2014Go hungry!!! There is much to enjoy, share and explore. Each new dish was more amazing than the previous.Special Features:
- The bestVeloJonDined on 8/30/2014Zahav and Vetri are the 2 best restaurants in Philly. We have been to Zahav several times, it is amazing every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zahav Never DisappointsREBTDoctorVIPDined on 8/30/2014Zahav is a really great place to dine because not only is the food excellent but the atmosphere is so happy. The service compliments the food and atmosphere and so on each visit you are sure to have an great dining experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceBZG1234Dined on 8/30/2014Great atmosphere. The four of us ordered the tasting menu to share and everything was interesting. Service was excellent. We had a leisurely four course three hour dinner and never felt rushed but the staff was very attentive throughout. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceAMJO30Dined on 8/29/2014Fantastic food, amazing service, food was spectacular. 2nd time going there and both were amazing. I went for my boyfriends birthday and it was perfect. Drinks were fun and interesting, the host even carried our drinks over when our table was ready. We were offered a bar menu while we were waiting and the bar tender came over to personally get our order while waiting on the bench. Everyone was so friendly and the staff went out of their way to accommodate everyone. The hummus plate is definitely the best I have had. This is one of my favorite places in the city. I also really like the location, with the large glass windows and open feel to it.Special Features:
- A Truly,Fine Fining ExperienceMedsedDined on 8/29/2014From the excellent accommodations of our daughter's special needs to the wonderful wait staff and amazing food, Zahav more than exceeded our expectations. truly a place for this city to take pride in, Zahav is a gem. The service was stellar, the ambiance was energetic but not overbearing, the food was simply amazing. While all of the dishes were wonder the Fried Cauliflower and the Fried Haloumi were personal favorites. The hummus was amazing. the halvah chocolate mousse was spectacular. We cannot wait to visit again and this will surely become our go to place for special occasions and out of town visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced and pretentioussurprisedDined on 8/29/2014The portions were small and we were 4 people eating from the tasting menu and 3 times an item arrived with only 3 of something. Most portions were small and know Israeli food and not real expensive ingredients. It seemed real chintzy. We had to repeatedly stop our conversation to split up the food equally. Too much work, too little food, too expensive. We left wanting. Been wanting to go there for a long time and will not go back.Special Features:
- delicious and interesting foodsweetieDined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed our evening at Zahav. Drinks at the bar first. Turned out it was "happy hour" so it was a bargain. The bartender was excellent. We had the prix fixe menu. The dishes were delicious and unusual but far too much for 2 people. By the grilled course I was so full I could take only a bite of my choice. We took desserts home. Next time I will pick more judiciously. Our particular favorites were the tomato salad with crispy lentils, starting hummus dish and spicy grilled lamb. Every dish was fine but these stood out. We liked the setting. Big windows look over a wooded area. The seating at first seems a little "diner" but it worked just fine. The wait service was very good without being over bearing. A lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out StandingtimboDined on 8/28/2014Our first time there and from the beginning to end everything was wonderful. Our server (whose name I forget unfortunately) was so informative and really helped us with the food and especially the wine selection. I can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Thank youEric24Dined on 8/27/2014From beginning to end we have been taking care with a lot of attention The wait stall is professional , and very knowlageble . The food was superbeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodluvtodineDined on 8/27/2014We went there for my wife's bday and really enjoyed the food. Excellent service. We are definitely going back again.Special Features: