237 Saint James Place
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
Middle EasternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zahavrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (215) 625-8800
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
HAPPY HOUR: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Michael Solomonov
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties for 9 - 50 people. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability and menu details.
- Private Party Contact: Kari-Lee MacDonald 2156253977x
- Special Events: Rehearsal Dinners, Cocktail Receptions, Wine Tastings, Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs.
A word from Zahav
Zahav showcases the Israeli-Mediterranean cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Solomonov. In 2008, Zahav was named one of Esquire's Top 20 New Restaurants in America and Philadelphia Magazine selected Zahav as its Best New Restaurant.Continued
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zahav - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Zahav reviews from OpenTable diners
465 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (406)special occasion (310)hot spot (206)good for groups (197)neighborhood gem (147)romantic (129)notable wine list (110)vibrant bar scene (66)scenic view (38)late-night find (31)kid-friendly (13)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Zahav Thumbs UpOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014True confession: I've beento Israel and eaten at some excellent restaurants. Zahav met all my expectations on authenticity and often added creative twists to traditional dishes. The middle eastern bread grilled with oil and za'atar (earthy and zesty herb blend) was superb and easily the equal of Israeli versions. One difference is the totally tapas style plates instead of larger family style offerings found in Te Aviv or Jerusalem. There is a tasting menu ($42) which my party all had; enough food and options (salads, small plates, kabob, and dessert) for 2 really. Suggest you take the time to select fewer dishes per person or share and order if they let you for a reasonable 2nd person fee. Was there on a Wed. nite and service and quality (service & food) was too notch. Only downside is parking is limited which the website acknowledges. If you are visiting Philly, stay at the Society Hill Sheraton which is about 75 yards away. Otherwise take mass transit (about a 20 min walk) or be ready to drop $15+ on structured parking to hunt for metered street parking.Special Features:
- Never fails to amaze …lotusblossumVIPDined on 11/16/2014…with consistency and great flavors. There aren't enough superlatives for Zahav. Great everything-- food, service, ambience. Friendly and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Delicious!madfranzDined on 11/15/2014We had a lovely evening dining at Zahav this past Saturday. I am very happy we opted not to get the tasting menu because that would have been way too much food for us. I would come back just for the Salatim (mini salads) and the Hummus that was out of this world. The creamiest hummus I've ever eaten. The Mezze's were very tasty as well. We had the brussel sprouts, the cauliflower, haloumi and two others that I'm blanking on. We never even made it to a main course because we filled up on the apps (3 people total). I'd love to come back and try the branzino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place for vegetariansBobsiVIPDined on 11/14/2014Food was wonderful and creative. Service was great. Excellent place for vegetariansSpecial Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Great food! Even as Israelis we really liked the sophisticated and tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatPearlDined on 11/13/2014Consistently delicious and interesting food. "It's different and amazing" is what all of my friends say!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zahavulous!TGrrrrrVIPDined on 11/13/2014it is hard to get a reservation at Zahav and after eating there i can see why.... the food is amazing!!! i can't wait to eat there again. I've been dreaming about their hummus ever since. every dish was delicious. and the service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved every minute at ZahavJackieCDined on 11/11/2014Believe the hype. I made a reservation for my 2 year wedding anniversary and Zahav made it simply magical. The service was excellent, gracefully walking the line of attentive and annoying. Salatim was simple and delicious, the hummus was amazing. We ordered the krispy grape leaves*, house smoked sable**, fried potato**, and my favorite the crispy haloumi***. We also were able to taste the Cauliflower, thank you chef! We were already stuffed but ate the entire entree anyway! For the entree we enjoyed the Branzino and the Spiced Eggplant. The Branzino was cooked absolutely perfectly, crispy skin with firm but moist meat, and anyone who can make Eggplant equally delicious is a culinary god. Thank you for the great anniversary.Special Features:
- Arrive with your appetite readyCARossDined on 11/11/2014We were given Zahav as a recommendation from our well traveled friend as a fantastic eating experience. I must say it was an incredible evening. We selected their tasting menu with allowed our table of four to experience 8 different appetizers and 4 different main selections. 12 of the most surprising and wonderfully delicious plates we have ever had. Wonderful. Give it a try... But come with you appetite ready.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of top restaurants I've ever dinedBraveLittleToasterDined on 11/11/2014I took my girlfriend out here for her birthday. We were expecting a great meal but weren't prepared for just how amazing Zahav is. We tried the chef's tasting menu, and we were only mildly disappointed in one dish out of the dozen or so we were served (the sirloin entree was good, but not knock-your-socks off like many of the other dishes). Highlight dishes include: the Hummus Crispy Haloumi (a must try) Fried Cauliflower Duck Kabob The service was great. I would easily say this is one of the top 3 restaurants I have ever been too, and this is one of the first times I've actually taken the time to write a review. It was that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What more could you ask for?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Delicious food for a fitting price. The tasting menu option was incredible, the staff were knowledgeable and very quick. I have no complaints!Special Features:
- Zahav boffo!JPAWIMINYDEDined on 11/10/2014We loved our meal at Zahav. The food was great, as was the service. No cost sparkling water. No cost extra (yummy) pita bread. A no cost dessert because of a service slip-up. Lively and festive. A lot to love.Special Features:
- another great mealjjp4VIPDined on 11/10/2014Dining at Zahav is a delicious addiction - look forward to going there at least a few times a year as the menu changes - and this time around did not disappoint. The item that stood out above the rest was the lamb neck pastilla - so tender and perfectly cooked topped with apples and horseradish. I would be happy with a plate of that and a pint of beer every night. The service was friendly and attentive, and the manager was sweet checking in on us at the end of the meal. One suggestion: update the menu on the website. Thanks for a great meal!Special Features:
- Great experienceKmpos10Dined on 11/9/2014We tried a bunch of different stuff and everything was great. I had the best hummus I have ever had in my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite for sure!CathyDined on 11/9/2014This was our third dinner at Zahav we are still hooked! We took friends who had never been and they, too, loved it. The food is consistently delicious and the choices are varied. The hummus is the best I've ever tasted and the salads that accompany it are all amazing. This has become our New Years Eve tradition and we will again welcome in the new year at Zahav. We'll also continue to introduce people to what we think is one of the best restaurants in Phila.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Insanely flavorful!JuliardDined on 11/9/2014Food here is a symphony of flavors and textures. Make sure to bring a serious appetite - the tasting menu is truly a feast & the food seems never to stop coming from the kitchen. Our server, David, was terrific - friendly & efficient, warm & witty. Our only quibble was the staff member whose job was to manage timing for when the kitchen fired dishes - did the hollering have to be right by customer tables??? That doesn't change our very positive review & I think the tasting menu is quite a good price deal. I highly recommend Zahav.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food!Cracking40Dined on 11/8/2014I absolutely loved the food. We did a tasting menu. The portions may seem small but over the course of the entire meal you fill up. We almost skipped dessert we were so full - almost. Delicious food. Wonderful combination of flavors. The wait staff was friendly and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinner 2014cvdLVIPDined on 11/8/2014We had been looking forward to our meal here and it did not disappoint. There was not one empty chair in the restaurant and the kitchen was extremely busy. That said, not one dish served to us was weak and our server and support team were friendly, knowledgeable, and made our experience a special one. The creative and surprising use of ingredients make it a thoroughly enjoyable culinary experience. This all speaks volumes about the organization and detail of the kitchen and management. I hope they never lose these skills. The only slightly annoying element was the bit too loud pop music which is endemic in restaurants today. Not a big spoiler and we certainly look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Very good!!foodiedivaVIPDined on 11/8/2014Traveling with family so it was a new experience. They loved it!!! My son loved the Bronzino!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PiermanDined on 11/5/2014Zahav remains one of my favorite restaurants. The food and service was excellent. If you have never eaten grilled duck hearts rush to Zahav and be delighted.Special Features:
- SaltyOKPA54Dined on 11/5/2014The salads where fantastic! The small app plates where yummy, the dinner small plates out of three selections we didn't like any....too salty all of the beef was ground up...might consider not going back or not eating that courseSpecial Features:
- RichpureholidayDined on 11/4/2014Loved everything about Zahav. They took care of us and for the most of the part everything went really smooth. Many dishes tasted homemade but with a high quality execution. We were stuffed and it was nice to see a movie afterwards just a block away. I think it's a perfect place for a special occasion and considering the quality of service and uniqueness of dishes, the price is very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/3/2014Had yet another fantastic meal at Zahav. We were a little worried about bringing our son and his cousin (both under two years) to the restaurant. The staff was gracious and extremely accommodating. The food was stellar as usual. Highlights were the duck hearts and the carrot basboosa.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsLight123Dined on 11/2/2014We choose Zahav to celebrate 4 birthdays, and it was beyond amazing. Our server Sean was accommodating, patient and friendly while maintaining professionalism. Our entire party was pleased with the selection of food especially the hummus. Even the former vegetarian enjoyed duck hearts! I can't wait to go back and experience it all over again. Thank you to all the staff (especially Sean) who made our experience memorable.
- Roadhouse29Dined on 11/1/2014Staff was very accommodating. We arrived an hour early and even though they were very busy they found a table for us. The entire staff was upbeat, polite, and seemed to enjoy working there. Food was great. We ordered the chefs tasting menu. A real eclectic combination of flavors and textures. The chef's specialty is the lamb shoulder. It is outstanding. Only negative is how loud the noise level is. Reserve early. it is very difficult to get a reservation at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/31/2014Second time here and Still the best meal I've ever had in my lifeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Halloween Feasthoward2VIPDined on 10/31/2014Our evening was just wonderful. It started with making a reservation weeks ago and then having to increase our group twice, which was graciously managed. We (8) had a corner to ourselves and received helpful information concerning the food and how to order. Then the delicious and imaginative dishes just kept coming and coming, each as or more tasty than the last. Zahav was excellent when it opened and continues to get better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/30/2014One of the best restaurant experiences that we've had. The food was exceptional and so was the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zahav in Phillyrk2014Dined on 10/29/2014If Zahav was located in SF, I would be there 1-2 times per month if not more. Reasonable prices, outstanding food, and outstanding service. And management was sincerely interested in my dining experience. I learned of Zahav on Anthony Bourdain's show the Layover, and was in Philadelphia for business this week. Anthony Bourdain was absolutely dead on with this one. I also enjoyed some red wine from Israel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with customersMarinaItalyDined on 10/29/2014Found Zahav by chance. We had only few time before our plane left and they fit perfectly in our time. Funny experience, plenty of different flavours and fragrances. The service was really accurate. It's a pity we leave on the other side of the ocean!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In LoveELG123Dined on 10/28/2014I was expecting an amazing meal, but was still blown out of the water. The beets were amazing and I could have eaten an entire bowl of them alone! I also was too stuffed to try the bread pudding at the end of the tasting menu, but opted for sorbet thinking it would be average and I was so wrong - it was equally as good as every other dish throughout the meal. Thanks to Luke for also taking care of me at the bar - it was a great meal with great service all around.Special Features:
- Yum!DCKD14Dined on 10/28/2014We took our friends from England there and they cannot stop raving about the food. We really enjoyed every selection and the staff were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quilmesDined on 10/28/2014We were first timers. We looked forward to excellent cuisine, considering yelp and other sources. Our expectations were exceeded with our palates savoring complex flavors. Unlike other fine dining establishments, our portions were ample. The fried cauliflower and Turkish hummus were superb.Special Features:
- Pathetic ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014The food was great, but the server was pathetic. She had an entire team of people assisting and still managed to not even be able to keep up with beverages for two, let alone the food. They even forgot a dish. Seriously? Not what I expected.
- gjniDined on 10/26/2014Zahav was awesome. The food was delicious, especially the golden beet salad and the fried cauliflower. Some dishes were a little heavy with the salt though. The service was excellent. The ambiance was lovely and the music was a little loud, but lively. Overall a good experience.Special Features:
- Perfect end to our day in the city!weekendsoutDined on 10/26/2014We had no idea what Israeli food was... now we know how excellent it is. Would recommend this dining experience to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfulhoneybrown616Dined on 10/26/2014I have dined at Zahav several times. I must say that I am impressed that each experience is unique. The menu changed since my last visit and as always they did not disappoint. It's a little hectic when they open because literally people rush in... so although we were first to arrive we found ourselves being seated after 5 other parties. Remember to practice patients and leave your taste buds open to possibilities.Special Features:
- Dee1VIPDined on 10/24/2014Great experience. Loved the pita and humus and salatim. We enjoyed the lamb, duck and steak dishes. The bread pudding, custard and chocolate almond cake were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderful!NLB30VIPDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I went there for our anniversary and it could have not been more perfect. The service was impeccable and the food was amazing. We cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfanVIPDined on 10/24/2014I have brought many people to Zahav, raving about the food and experience, and it always lives up to expectations. The food is delicious, unexpected and unique. Servers are uniformly friendly and knowledgeable. The restaurant can be noisy, but that seems a small price to pay for a special dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.