237 Saint James Place
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
Middle EasternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zahavrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2156258800x
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
HAPPY HOUR: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Michael Solomonov
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties for 9 - 50 people. Please email email@example.com for availability and menu details.
- Private Party Contact: Kari-Lee MacDonald 2156253977x
- Special Events: Rehearsal Dinners, Cocktail Receptions, Wine Tastings, Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs.
A word from Zahav
Zahav showcases the Israeli-Mediterranean cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Solomonov. In 2008, Zahav was named one of Esquire's Top 20 New Restaurants in America and Philadelphia Magazine selected Zahav as its Best New Restaurant.Continued
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Zahav - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Zahav reviews from OpenTable diners
477 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (394)special occasion (309)good for groups (183)hot spot (181)neighborhood gem (163)romantic (144)notable wine list (83)vibrant bar scene (65)scenic view (46)late-night find (28)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014We went there for my wife's bday and really enjoyed the food. Excellent service. We are definitely going back again.Special Features:
- Best food in philadelphiaGoodDined on 8/27/2014Small plates to share but worth the price. Just amazing.Special Features:
- SO TASTYOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/25/2014We got the tasting menu with the lamb shoulder. That starts with the hummus (best I've ever had, by far -- it will ruin you for all other hummus) and salatim. We then got the cauliflower and haloumi mezzes. I could eat that cauliflower every day. Next, the lamb. I've heard so much about it, and it lived up to all the hype -- it was delicious. We finished with Turkish coffees (quite nice) and two desserts (I was a little surprised that we didn't get to choose the desserts ourselves, since with the Tayim menu, you get to choose). The ones sent out were just OK, but I was way too full at that point to be disappointed. Oh, also, the wines by the glass that the server recommended paired really nicely with the food!Special Features:
- amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/24/2014our party of 4 ate at Zahav on Saturday night -- the food was simply outstanding, as others have commented. Truly remarkable. And the ambiance is lively and hip. The only criticism was our server who was borderline rude. He almost insisted that we have the tasting menu and when we declined he acted as if we were idiots. When we asked for one entree to come out with the appetizers (hungry teen) he responded that it was not possible. But instead of handling that graciously, he again had so much attitude that it detracted from this amazing meal.Special Features:
- An amazing mealFoodiefamilyVIPDined on 8/24/2014Our family had the Tayim tasting and we loved the whole experience! Between the 6 different kinds of salads that came in the salatim, plus hummus and laffa bread, 8 appetizers and 4 main courses and 4 desserts, all happily shared among the 4 of us, we got to taste over half of the items on the menu. This meal brought back many happy memories of our trip to Israel 2 years ago and the amazing meals we had there, but we also loved the new inventive twists to some familiar flavors -- like the crispy lentils added to the tomatos, the tahini dressings on the beets, etc. We also loved the fried cauliflower, the ribeye cap, the chocolate halvah mousse... we left totally and happily full. The service was also wonderfully attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Eating here was basically a religious experience. Excellent in every regard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 36andcountingDined on 8/24/2014My husband and I enjoyed an amazing meal at Zahav start to finish. Everything is excellent-the hummus, the fried cauliflower, the grilled meats and the most delightful surprise-the fried cheese! My only advice is that if there are just two of you, do not take one the tastings It will be too much food. Save the tastings for a group adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic All AroundUncleDVIPDined on 8/23/2014My friends have been wanting to come to Philly to dine at Zahav for a while. We were finally able to go on Saturday evening. The entire experience was excellent as usual. My friends were very impressed with the food, the service, and the cost. Every one was very accommodating to us. We didn't think we were going to be able to get the lamb shoulder, but they made it possible. In addition, we ordered a bottle of wine that was not very good, and our waiter (Chris) did not hesitate to recommend a much better bottle and remove the other from our bill. Thank you Zahav for allowing me to show my friends why I love your restaurant. Regards, DarrinSpecial Features:
- Not special anymorecarolegVIPDined on 8/23/2014haven't been here for a couple of years Not as good as I recall. Noise level ridiculous. We felt the music was unnecessarily loud and inappropriate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing lamb, abrupt serviceLuveatingouttgthrDined on 8/21/2014Food was fantastic and tasting menu was worth every penny! Notables: the lamb main course, hummus, vanilla custard, beef stew, eggplant! Also great refreshing cocktails! The service was so fast that you barely had a dirty plate for more than a second-- however our water was kind of abrupt and unfriendly. Not my favorite. Music selection was hip but a little loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhillyphoodieDined on 8/20/2014This restaurant is the best of the best. The food is consistently of excellent quality, innovative, and beautifully presented. It is our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LflfjjVIPDined on 8/19/2014Excellent and amazingly delicious as always. We will return.Special Features:
- BuddyDined on 8/19/2014The service and food were outstanding. We will be back. Ben was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DeliciousHungrymanDined on 8/19/2014Very tasting food, top-notch ingredients and spices, excellent service. Although small plates style, we were quite surprised how full we began to feel half way through the meal (we did order the Ta'Yim multi-course special, which is a great value). Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousBeegeVIPDined on 8/18/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We did the tasting menu and it was KILLER good. The staff is super friendly and efficient. Great restaurant. We'll be back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded our expectations!NickDined on 8/17/2014Exceptional dining exp. interesting/delicious combination of flavors. Try the Taste of Zahav offering. We will definitely be returning. Parking was a challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceGoodtimesDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I enjoyed a fantastic meal with knowledge staff. The manager was very friendly and interactive making us feel warmly welcomed. A fantastic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well deserved acclaimRichardDined on 8/16/2014Our first visit here and it was exceptional. We did the Tayim or Taste of Zahav menu and it is the best way to get an introduction to Chef Solomonov's artful delicacies (with an incredible quality-price ratio). Truly one of Philadelphia's finest restaurants and one we look forward to re-visiting many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!BruceDined on 8/15/2014A highlight of our weekend in Philadelphia was dinner at Zahav!! Loved the food and the atmosphere!Special Features:
- Best in PhillypassingThroughDined on 8/14/2014Well, I'm fairly new to the city, so "best in Philly" may be a bit preemptive. But I can say that, from the service to the food, I cannot find a flaw. And for the money (it's not cheap, but I've spent far more at restaurants) I will be returning.Special Features:
- Great food n serviceRabreuDined on 8/14/2014Hummus was awesome! Grilled lamb n chicken were good. A bit over rated n over prized.Special Features:
- RushedDined on 8/13/2014We were rushed to our seats, rushed to order and the food came very quickly. Under the prix fixe it was like a several course fast foos reatuarant. They wanted to turn the table so bad I felt shoved. The ood was OK but not spectacular. Some portions were unique. The wine list was very expsnsive and they turned their nose at the couple of listings at less than $80 a bottle.Special Features:
- Great for sharingjammyDined on 8/11/2014Went with friends and ordered 6 or so dishes to share between four people. Plus the salatim and hummus. Turkish hummus is not to be missed.Special Features:
- DustinJeLeDined on 8/11/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 5 year anniversary and the staff at Zahav helped make it special. They gave us champagne, were quick to smile and stop and chat, checked on us appropriately, and even gave us a dessert that would meet my wife's dietary needs. Overall, a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OmarDined on 8/10/2014Lovely experience with remarkable, healthful food, a waiter both prompt and attentive. Cost for the evening bordered on unfair to the restaurant!Special Features:
- One of my favorite dinner spots!Ali8Dined on 8/8/2014This was our second time at Zahav and it did not disappoint. Our server, Ben was attentive and knoweledgeable about the menu. The craft beer selection and speciality cocktails are great! I suggest getting the Taste of Zahav which allows to try a number of items including dessert. Everything was delicious but we loved the beet salad, house smoked sable, chicken kebab, duck, and the Turkish hummus. We also added foie gras to our meal which is served by the owner. The foie gras was amazing and having Michael Solomonov come out and serve was awesome. Because it was my birthday we received free falafel which was amazing as well. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great StaffanabrittaDined on 8/7/2014The waiter gave us a great explanation of the menu. We always had water and clean table. Every one works together. Even tough, on yelp it says not kid friendly, my kids were given special attention and loved the food.Special Features:
- Fantastic "tornado of flavours"!matteroffact8Dined on 8/4/2014We had an amazing dinner at Zahav, foreboded by a comment by a man in the neighbourhood of whom we asked directions:"Zahav? You are in for a treat." (Our map app was leading us astray a bit). A treat it was. We ordered the tasting menu, and with the three of us each ordering two different kinds of mezzes and one course from the grill, we had lots to taste. All this was preceded by the first course of little salads, vegetables, warm flatbread, and hummus (and topped by dessert). Everything was fresh, flavours carefully combined (washed down well with a citrusy, light ale). The service was impeccable; helpful but non-intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where I take Out-of-TownersPhoodieVIPDined on 8/4/2014When I want to show off Philadelphia, this is one of my favorite places for dinner. We spend more, but it's worth it! I'm a big fan of just about everything on the menu, and the service is impeccable. I have friends who say it's too expensive, but I disagree - when it comes to quality, Zahav is consistently excellent and interesting.Special Features:
- Not satisfactoryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014I has been to zahav before and had a great experience so I decided to go back and take my parents. It was an absolute disaster. I don't remember the portions being so small. We left the place still hungry. In addition, the kitchen was closing so the wait staff was rushed and made it clear they were trying to clean up. Very uncomfortable and unsatisfactory all round
- UniqueJPinPhillyDined on 8/3/2014Zahav is our favorite restaurant, and our go-to for special occasions or out-of-town guests. No other restaurant offers such a unique menu. The quality is flawless, the spicing superb. Each dish is a moment to savor. The only small complaint is that it could use some more sound-dampening design.Special Features:
- Still very good!LynnVIPDined on 8/2/2014The last few visits we have been disappointed in the new small plates we have ordered. The old standbys are usually as expected, good. We love the hummus selections and the salatim lifted even higher by the hot sauces, served upon request. It does seems the small plates keep getting smaller with questionable value at 12/14 each; even considering the somewhat exotic ingredients and preparation. We have frequented Zahav but I do believe we will lower it on our restaurant visit list. Is Zahav getting tired or or we tired of Zahav? Perhaps both?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Zahav!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014The five-course meal is a ton of food, but it's a good value and amazingly delicious. Great service, even w/ a 10:45 p.m. when the staff presumably wants to go home. We love Zahav.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it - Again!BWLtravelsDined on 8/1/2014A visit to Philly for us always includes dinner at Zahav. Began by relaxing with a lemonnana cocktail. Hummous with tahina and warm laffa is not to be missed. Lots of vege options - my favorite is the califlower, roasted with a minty sauce. Sadly, we missed the lamb shoulder as it was sold out and orders are not accepted in advance.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014The food was interesting takes on traditional mid eastern fare. The service was impeccable including very well train bus people. Friendly and very hip place even for who aren't so with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better the 2nd timeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014We dined here about a month ago and were blown away by everything we ordered. We decided to return with some out of town friends and it was even better the second time. Since the last visit the menu changed a little. If the watermelon salad is available, do yourself a favor and order it. Don't miss the haloumi either. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!DickVIPDined on 7/31/2014Zahav is the most amazing dining experience in Philly. The hummus is like no other - especially with the homemade lafta flatbread. The mains are always spectacular. We could eat there every night.Special Features:
- excellent food & attentive serviceecoth14Dined on 7/31/2014Zahav does a truly outstanding job crafting delicious and at times quite inventive Israeli food. The service is excellent and while the cost makes this a special occasion restaurant it is by no means unreasonable or prohibitive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014This was my third time at zahav. The food continues to be fabulous-some of the most unique and delicious dishes I have ever encountered. The only minor negative I can cite is that each time I have returned I have been progressively less impressed with the service. The first time I dined here the server was like a wizard with information about the dishes and the wines. This most recent time there was nothing notable whatsoever about our service except that it was dull and lacked enthusiasm. Perhaps my first experience set the subsequent servers up for failure but zahav does carry a reputation for impressive service so I'd hate to see that change as they get busier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overratted.friendODined on 7/30/2014I was SO pumped to dine at Zahav after hearing great things on Ylep, OpenTable and a few friends, but I left disappointed... Although the food was good, steep prices and a pushy staff will keep my from going back. I have a pet peeve with overly observant servers who wait for the first sign of a finished meal before scooping up the plates and sending the next course to the kitchen. Unfortunately this happened after our salads and Mezze dishes. A score of 3 seems appropriate since the food was very good, but I can't justify the price tag when I felt rushed for nearly the entire meal.