237 Saint James Place
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
Middle EasternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zahavrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2156258800x
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
HAPPY HOUR: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Michael Solomonov
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties for 9 - 50 people. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability and menu details.
- Private Party Contact: Kari-Lee MacDonald 2156253977x
- Special Events: Rehearsal Dinners, Cocktail Receptions, Wine Tastings, Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs.
A word from Zahav
Zahav showcases the Israeli-Mediterranean cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Solomonov. In 2008, Zahav was named one of Esquire's Top 20 New Restaurants in America and Philadelphia Magazine selected Zahav as its Best New Restaurant.Continued
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Zahav - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Zahav reviews from OpenTable diners
483 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (400)special occasion (323)good for groups (200)hot spot (198)neighborhood gem (163)romantic (132)notable wine list (100)vibrant bar scene (66)scenic view (48)late-night find (27)kid-friendly (16)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- sublimeX4meVIPDined on 9/28/2014Having a table of 6 was so great. We did the $42. tasting menu. The small plates allowed everyone to sample a large portion of the menu. The salads were unique and really tasty as was the hummus. The mezze courses were really unique and delicious. The entree courses were also amazing. I had the lamb dish and would order it again. Dessert was just the right amount to cap off a wonderful meal. The meal arrived at a nice slower pace but not too slow; very enjoyable- would not have wanted it any faster. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone and will return with friends.Special Features:
- DeliciousreadytodineDined on 9/27/2014The Salatim and Hummus course was divine. Beets and eggplant never tasted so good, and our hummus and pita arrived hot from the oven. The wines were spectacular. Next time we go I'll be sure to leave room for dessert.Special Features:
- the best service everSlickDined on 9/27/2014All in my party agree that the service that we received was the best any of us has ever experienced: everyone working there couldn't have been more attentive without being intrusive. The food was excellent. This is a restaurant where one can experience many flavors and have the opportunity to share those flavors with dinner companions. And the cocktails were outstanding also.Special Features:
- Not enough personal spaceCass305Dined on 9/25/2014My husband and I dine at Zahav every time we visit Philadelphia. Every time we dine at Zahav we are seated in a row of two tops that are to close together which takes away from our dining experience. If Zahav removed one of those tables it would be much more comfortable for all parties of two. Two tops to close together is why Zahav doesn't get five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to love itfoodieatheartDined on 9/25/2014But every dish we had was way too salty. It blew out my palate. Had the multi course option and my longtime favorite cauliflower mezze was almost inedible. The branzino was incredibly salty. I was disappointed. I hink I'm over zahav.Special Features:
- Extremely disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014the menu was a set Rosh Hashana menu "family style". There was not enough food for every1 to share and when we asked for more it seemed as though we were inconveniencing them. We received 6 lamb ribs to share amongst 8 ppl .The ribs had hardly any meat, mostly fat. I requested a new order of lamb explaining the issue. Server confirmed a new order would be out.The lamb never came. We were told the kitchen closed at 10.We had a vegetarian in our party who was told she could not have fish for a entree sub because the kitchen was closed.most unprofessional thing was witnessing the wait staff and manager discussing the issues with our table in plain view. Server rolling eyes. Mocking. I've dined at Zahav before-AMAZING! What happened this time?
- Excellent experiencesteadyVIPDined on 9/23/2014Our group of four had a wonderful time from the moment we sat down. Our waiter (Ben) was amazing and extremely helpful. Every bite was fascinating, unusual and delicious. Recommend with no reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I actually ate beetsladyxdiDined on 9/22/2014If you can make my least favorite food taste good, then you're doing something right. I immediately picked out the tomato and cucumber martini, I probably should have gotten another one because that was glorious. We went here for date night and ordered the Tayim menu, which ended up being too much food, but I don't regret it. My husband is a vegetarian and this was thee perfect place for him. We both ordered all vegetarian dishes, with no doubles, so he was happy to share. Everything was savory and it still fascinates me to see different ingredients work together so well. Lastly, our waitress was awesome and I enjoyed talking to her about the food. Everyone that served us was great. We will definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for small sharingMariangelaDined on 9/21/2014Always a great meal. Fun sharing small plates of very unique tasty items. Hummus is to die for. Service is excellent. Cheers!Special Features:
- 10 person private roomOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We all had such a wonderful time in the private dining room for 10! The food was UNBELIEVABLE! Really a fantastic menu, and it was great to have the menu decided for us so we didn't have to think about it - all we did was order our drinks. The service was wonderful, it was an all around great experience. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful experience inde againAshwinDined on 9/20/2014This was our second time at Zahav, and we enjoyed it as much as the first time. The food, of course, was delicious. We were vegetarian, but had plenty of options, despite going there during reataurant week. The service was excellent. We will definitely be going back... Often...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dining experiencePhillyAmyDined on 9/16/2014Everything you have heard about Zahav is true, and the long wait to get a reservation is totally understandable! From the beautiful and fresh salads, the interesting mezze and the excellent "main"...all the way through to the creative and delicious desserts, this restaurant was a special treat.Special Features:
- Outstanding DinnerChrisVIPDined on 9/15/2014Zahav prepares good food, and they prepare it well -- very well. Recommend going with small group to share dishes to experience more of the options. Restaurant week or Sunday tasting menu will give you a good experience of the different options at this 5-star restaurant. Complimentary sparkling water and good wines nicely complement the meal.Special Features:
- Great foodie experienceJackDined on 9/15/2014My fiance and I have been wanting to try Zahav for so long. Glad we finally bit the bullet and did it. The food was so flavorful and seasoned so well. So many different choices. The hummus truly brought me back to my time spent in israel. Service was great - the waiter was incredibly friendly and my water glass never dropped below half empty. Great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a delight for the tastebuds!deedle6Dined on 9/15/2014several wonderful small veggie plates on the house…a real treat! perfect service, decent cocktails, branzino was made to perfection. fun dessert…all in all, YUM!Special Features:
- Delicious!veggieloverDined on 9/15/2014I came here for restaurant week with some friends. The small plates allowed us to share and sample so many dishes! There are a lot of vegetarian options. Standouts included: Fried Haloumi, Fried Cauliflower, and the hummus.Special Features:
- Magnificent Friday EveningRosieVIPDined on 9/14/2014Our first visit to Zahav was absolute perfection (with the exception of the cold AC temperature). The Restaurant Week menu was incredibly unique. The hummus course was rich and flavorful w/ ingredients, incl. tabbouleh & eggplant served with the laffa bread. Crispy haloumi, grape leaves & grilled duck hearts from the mezze course were amazing. Our main courses, ribeye cap & branzino, were also exceptional. We finished with French press coffee & dessert of almond chocolate cake to die for. Service throughout the meal was polished and so coordinated they should give lessons to other restaurants on how it is done. Our total bill was less than we have ever spent for such a carefully executed and finely prepared meal. Truly magnificent!Special Features:
- Best Meal I've ever eaten!GinaDDined on 9/13/2014I would highly recommend Zahav to anyone! The food is amazing. I tried food I normally wouldn't have eaten and I was so surprised how wonderful the food was. The portions are perfect and left feeling very satisfied and full! It's very reasonably priced as well. We're already planning our next trip back!Special Features:
- So good I can't wait to go back!JustinDined on 9/13/2014Seriously, Zahav is one of the best meals I've ever had. Everything was so flavorful and different from dish to dish. We went during restaurant (our anniversary just happens to fall during restaurant week) and the service and food was still stellar even though it was hopping the entire time we were there. The hummus and fried haloumi were definitely some of my favorite items though really you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Truly a remarkable culinary experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Perfect in every way. Delicious food. Generous portions. Great drinks. Solid service with an extra touch - bonus champagne for our anniversary! We cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGGGG!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014Salatim and hummus are undoubtedly my favorite part!Special Features:
- The best since I moved to the USCasitaDined on 9/9/2014We went during Restaurant week. The food was fantastic, the service outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, great foodBobbyDined on 9/9/2014My girlfriend and I went here for Restaurant Week, and we really enjoyed it! We got a lot of appetizers/things for the table to start with, and the main course was very good. They waited for us to be finished with one course before asking us if we wanted the other one brought out, which was considerate. There was some sort of mix-up earlier so we had to wait a few minutes for our table (we made reservations, obviously) but the host was very apologetic. Dessert was fantastic as well!Special Features:
- AmazingfoodieDined on 9/9/2014I went for restaurant week with my friends, the food was great - I liked the variety that we could enjoy given that we were a big group. The waiter was also super accommodating of the fact that my friends had to leave early. All in all, great experience. I would go back again even without restaurant week deals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/9/2014The food was AMAZING! I heard so much about the chef and it is all true. Have missed out on several chances to dine here due to weather complications but finally got in and it was so worth the wait. The service was good but our waiter didn't get many points when with very expensive wine recommendations.Special Features:
- Best Hummus EverStephSaltDined on 9/9/2014My husband and I went to Zahav during restaurant week; it was our first visit. Hands down my favorite part of the meal was the hummus. My husband got the duck hearts and sable as the mezze course, and now he loves (insert duck heart) duck hearts. He said they reminded him of filet mignon. The sable was good. I got the fried cauliflower and grape leaves. The cauliflower was very tasty, and the grape leaves were good, but nothing special. For the Al Ha'esh my husband got the duck kabobs and I got the Branzino. My husband really enjoyed the Duck kabobs. It was my first time having Branzino and I thought it was a little "fishy", not sure if this particular fish just has a naturally strong fish taste. Overall it was a good meal.Special Features:
- OutstandingZahavfanDined on 9/8/2014I have been in Philly for over 8 years and have eaten much (but not all!) of what the city has to offer. This is, by far, one of the best restaurants in the city. I would highly recommend the tasting menu for groups! Course after course brought waves of interesting flavors. Service was friendly, yet unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingAndidialed911Dined on 9/8/2014Went for restaurant week. The food was so good. The Yemenite stew was my favorite the meat waste tally so tender it fell apart when pushed by a forkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zahav is AmazingPharmbaDined on 9/7/2014I love this restaurant. Amazing service and delicious food, I will definitely come back to Zahav.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely FantasticKeshuaFanDined on 9/6/2014Just an absolutely fantastic meal at the lovely Zahav. The ambience was incredible and the food was even better. We got the Tayim (highly recommended) and everything was so good. The laffa bread was like an lighter and improved pita bread and the hummus had a delightful nutty aftertaste. The salatim was also delicious and I highly recommend the chicken freekah, haloumi and tomatoes. An awesome meal!!Special Features:
- Great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Whether it is for a romantic evening or for few hours with friends, Zahav is the place to go to have an exotic foody experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great representation of the regionWMColmes14VIPDined on 9/6/2014Went w/3 mezze. Not a fan of mezze type places bc of speed, we were done/out the door in 40 mins. Duck hearts w/sweet corn - nice and inventive dish, duck was tender which is surprising for the organ. Kibbe naya had walnuts / olives / raw lamb - fresh and clean, but not the best thing. Surprisingly the grilled haloumi with a walnut/date paste and pickled onion was best. The salt of the cheese w/sweet and sour crunch of the onion was great. Been to the region a lot and am very aware of the flavors. I'd recommend this place as special occasion for the tasting menus. If we lived nearby we'd hit here every 2-3 months;wouldn't choose it as as special occasion place. Want similar food monthly? LebaneseSpecial Features:
- Bland and SaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014The Turkish hummus was great. Every other plate was way too salty.
- Delicious & DiversedinnerclubDined on 9/4/2014The service was impeccable. The server was happy to explain (multiple times) how the tasting menu worked. It was also nice to have the dishes come out one at a time. It was timed perfectly, and although we were stuffed by the end, it was only because it was all delicious. We tried so many different and new food items. We had a group of 6 people and the set up of the tasting menus worked perfectly for us. We liked that we also weren't rushed to get through our dinner either. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Finally got the lamb!!StarvingartistVIPDined on 9/3/2014There were 4 of us and we went for the chefs choice which included the famous lamb. It was just as great as we had heard. But you must go very hungry as it's a great deal if food .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why have I not been here beforeeatnowrunlaterDined on 9/2/2014I went with a group of friends to celebrate a close friend who is sadly leaving Philly for Chicago and she mentioned that Zahav was one of the places she had to go before leaving. From the first to the last bit she kept saying "why have I not been here before?". We had the tasting menu which gave us more than enough food and the chance to try nearly everything. Our server did an amazing job right up till the end. While this was my fourth time here every meal has been just as great.Special Features:
- Israeli Tapas!amzmanVIPDined on 9/2/2014We came to celebrate both a Birthday and an Anniversary, it was a new cuisine for us both and we were excited to try it with all the wonderful raving reviews and high ratings. This place was spectacular and the Duck Hearts were amazing. There was one dish that really disappointed and that was the Chicken Liver, I was expecting a completely different flavor and texture whereas the liver was large and chewy here. With that said the rest was spectacular and I would definitely come to this place again if I were in the downtown Philly area. We both ordered the smaller tasting menu which included an appetizer, 2 small plates, and one large plate per person. I recommend going this route to try many items from their menu vs ordering ala carte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas can fill you up!NitiVIPDined on 9/1/2014Returned to Zahav after many years - always had difficulty getting reservations. So glad we got to have dinner last weekend. They have added more vegetarian items on the menu. We were full with the large salatim and hummus, warm Turkish hummus, fried cauliflower, zucchini & heirloom tomatoes. Everything was super flavorful and the warm laffa bread is to die for! The harissa hot sauce added a kick. Didn't order the main course as we were satisfied, but glad we save room for dessert. The Chocolate Halwa Mousse is a must!!! Our friends ordered chicken, lamb & fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise Level Can Ruin a Great MealFishtacoVIPDined on 8/30/2014Excellent food & service are not the only ingrediants for an exceptional meal. When the volume of other diners and the "background" music make it almost impossible to carry on a pleasant conversation even when there are only two at your table, the social element of the dining experience can be severely hampered. That was true for us on Saturday evening. If it weren't for the creative menu offerings, the excellent food itself, and the very attentive service, we would not give Zahav another try -- but we will in the hope that our next experience there (perhaps at a different time or in the main dining room) may be more pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment, Given the HypeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014We booked table here from out of town based on the exceptional reviews. We were simply not impressed by the food at Zahav - it generally ranged from mediocre (salatim, knafeh, etc.) to downright inedible (mushroom entree). The fried cheese dish tasted like dried toast, and the hummus was tahini-heavy and just not very good. Perhaps we've both been spoiled by great Middle Eastern food both at home and abroad in the region, but, given the hype, this dining experience may have been amongst the biggest let-downs in our adult lives. Overall, would say the food was just ok...certainly not worthy of any awards or rave reviews. Just our two cents, as Israeli- and Arab-Americans with plenty of Middle East cuisine experience under our belts.Special Features: