237 Saint James Place
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
Middle EasternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zahavrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2156258800x
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
HAPPY HOUR: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Michael Solomonov
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties for 9 - 50 people. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability and menu details.
- Private Party Contact: Kari-Lee MacDonald 2156253977x
- Special Events: Rehearsal Dinners, Cocktail Receptions, Wine Tastings, Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs.
A word from Zahav
Zahav showcases the Israeli-Mediterranean cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Solomonov. In 2008, Zahav was named one of Esquire's Top 20 New Restaurants in America and Philadelphia Magazine selected Zahav as its Best New Restaurant.Continued
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
The main dining room features authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and open-coal cooking in a casual and fun setting.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Zahav - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Zahav reviews from OpenTable diners
472 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (402)special occasion (309)hot spot (200)good for groups (199)neighborhood gem (152)romantic (123)notable wine list (105)vibrant bar scene (65)scenic view (40)late-night find (28)kid-friendly (11)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- perfect hummusOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014If you are looking for upscale yummy Israeli tapas, this is the place - I could just eat the hummus and pita but there were so many other luscious tastes in all there small plates - go hungry and enjoySpecial Features:
- Enjoyable dining experienceckjdinerVIPDined on 10/19/2014We really enjoyed our meal at Zahav. I particularly loved the hummus and salad dishes. They were unique and delicious. We also had the fried cauliflower and the potatoes which for me seemed overly greasy. We then had the duck and the branzino, both of which were great. The branzino was cooked to perfection. The service was good, there was always someone there attending to us. Overall we had a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Celebrationsportsref1Dined on 10/18/2014This was our second time at it was as great as the first time Waitress was very helpful in explain menu. They have a pre fix menu for $42 which includes their Hummas and Pita bread (Outstanding & HOT two apps per person an array of different little plates and a main course (Wide variety). Not a large main course but there was no room to eat. Dessert was also included a wide variety, Yummy Choice of regular or seltzer water and they came coming back to refill glasses Nice wine selection by bottle or glass.Special Features:
- Try something different!Carlos318Dined on 10/16/2014I was totally surprised, in a positive way, by this experience. I was very pleased to taste so many familiar and fresh food items prepared in different and creative ways. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the veggie dishes, though I am not a vegetarian. Excellent alternative for those with a mixed crowd of folks who don't want the veggie friends stuck with the salad and pizza items on a menu. The price for the fixed menu was also a pleasing detail. Treat yourself to something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Food ExperienceVprofyDined on 10/16/2014We had the tasting menu. Just the right amount -- almost a little too much. Maybe only need 4 vegetables with humus and salad. But not just a great meal, a dining experience. Bar and just a few plates is a great option.Special Features:
- never disappointsjaneyDined on 10/15/2014We have been to Zahav numerous times and have never been disappointed. The food is wonderful and varied. Hummus is amazing, also always get the fried cauliflower, haloumi cheese and sable. Service attentive. Small plates make it possible to taste a variety of dishes. We were in the side room which is a quieter than the main one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014The service and the food were excellent. Beautiful presentation. I would, however, not return due to the noise level. The music was very loud and seemed to target a younger, hip clientele.Special Features:
- Never betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Very simple. Zahav is the best restaurant in Philly. Everything Chef Solomonov creates is different and delectable.Special Features:
- excellentBIGDOGVIPDined on 10/14/2014one of the best restaurants in philadelphia.we have been eating at zahav since it opened,and it still remains our favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- pennsegDined on 10/13/2014Excellent food and attentive service. Great dining experience. Highly recommend. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful everythingAudreyVIPDined on 10/13/2014The food was delicious and the service was very good. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, lots of funJwhmimaDined on 10/12/2014food and service are top notch. The music is excessively loud and the handsome restaurant is too noisySpecial Features:
- FantasticmmmmmVIPDined on 10/10/2014We did the tasting menu at Zahav and we were not disappointed - completely worth every penny! The first course of the hummus and salads of the day was a fabulous start. Other favorites were the fried cauliflower and the lamb sausage. The only thing the table didn't love was the grape leaves (still good, just not as fantastic as everything else). The drink menu was also great. The restaurant is on the small side - I wouldn't go with a party of more than 6 at the most. Overall fantastic experience!Special Features:
- Never even a wrinkleOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/10/2014Zahav is amazingly consistently percent every time. Always fresh and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at it's bestDeborah1VIPDined on 10/9/2014A goodbye dinner was held for a member of our group who is relocating to the West Coast. From the time we sat down it the end of our meal, the service was impeccable, the wine from Israel crisp and smooth and the food fresh and perfectly seasoned, especially the two hummus plates that we ordered. A gem of a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowRosieVIPDined on 10/8/2014We were a group of four and had the Mesibah set meal which was wonderful. Of course the highlight was the roasted lamb shoulder which had an awesome sweet crust to it from the pomegranate marinade, but the whole meal was excellent. The waitstaff were great and even the music selection playing was eclectic and fun. I highly recommend a visit!Special Features:
- frenchVIPDined on 10/8/2014Only one reservation . . . the noise level. Very noisy--in the current style.
- excellentrhettDined on 10/5/2014We are from out of town and felt lucky to get a reservation. Our meal was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zahav lives up to its reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/5/2014This was our third visit to Zahav. The first one a couple years ago was not memorable, but this August we tried again since everyone raves about it. In August although the food was excellent, the noise level (in the back room on a Saturday night) interfered with our thoroughly enjoying our evening (and it was our anniversary). This visit was on a Sunday night, I asked to be seated in the main room, and it was a much more enjoyable experience. The food was superb! My 91 year old (oops, young) mother was with us and she wanted to try the smoked lamb tongue. I am not as adventurous as she, but gave it a try; surprisingly delicious. The hummus is divine. The small plates provides opportunities for sharing and tasting lots of options.Special Features:
- Best Hummus AroundBuddyTheElfDined on 10/4/2014We were here for the first time, and from the outstanding hummus to begin the meal to the coconut basboosa which ended it, there was a pleasant surprise with each dish presented. We'd come back for the hummus alone but, of course, there's so much more to savor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XalundesDined on 10/4/2014Outstanding dining experience. I particularly like how they changed plates and forks, as well as cleaned the table, in between each courseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkMarkVIPDined on 10/3/2014Loved everything ! We will definitely be back. The food and the service were Amazing. Best meal I have ever had in the city!Special Features:
- My favorite restaurantRob1Dined on 10/2/2014I've been to Zahav probably a dozen times over the years. I'm never disappointed the food and service were always spot onSpecial Features:
- Outstanding FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014his place is definitely one of the best restaurants in philly. Reservations can be very hard to get unless you make one quite far in advance but this place is worth the planning. I've been to zahav quite a few times and every time my friends and I go for the tasting menu.. I really don't think there is anything on the menu that is not outstanding except for some of the main courses which I believe could use a little brightness in flavors. The only thing that doesn't match the entire experience is their music.. The last time few times I was there, they were playing some random pop music. Even with this slight flaw, I would really recommend Zahav for great food and good ambiance.Special Features:
- OutstandingMmm212Dined on 9/30/2014One of the best dinner experiences I have ever had in PhiladelphiaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bravoJac1216Dined on 9/29/2014Wonderful atmosphere, stellar service and delicious, unique food!Special Features:
- Zahav ReviewPhillygalDined on 9/28/2014Great service and great food! My only complaint involves their choice in music. I don't think hip-hop is dinner appropriate. I would've preferred to hear something more reflective of the cultural region of the food.Special Features:
- sublimeX4meVIPDined on 9/28/2014Having a table of 6 was so great. We did the $42. tasting menu. The small plates allowed everyone to sample a large portion of the menu. The salads were unique and really tasty as was the hummus. The mezze courses were really unique and delicious. The entree courses were also amazing. I had the lamb dish and would order it again. Dessert was just the right amount to cap off a wonderful meal. The meal arrived at a nice slower pace but not too slow; very enjoyable- would not have wanted it any faster. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone and will return with friends.Special Features:
- DeliciousreadytodineDined on 9/27/2014The Salatim and Hummus course was divine. Beets and eggplant never tasted so good, and our hummus and pita arrived hot from the oven. The wines were spectacular. Next time we go I'll be sure to leave room for dessert.Special Features:
- the best service everSlickDined on 9/27/2014All in my party agree that the service that we received was the best any of us has ever experienced: everyone working there couldn't have been more attentive without being intrusive. The food was excellent. This is a restaurant where one can experience many flavors and have the opportunity to share those flavors with dinner companions. And the cocktails were outstanding also.Special Features:
- Love this placeDre4Dined on 9/27/2014The best meal I have had in the city by far. They've got new loyal patronsSpecial Features:
- Not enough personal spaceCass305Dined on 9/25/2014My husband and I dine at Zahav every time we visit Philadelphia. Every time we dine at Zahav we are seated in a row of two tops that are to close together which takes away from our dining experience. If Zahav removed one of those tables it would be much more comfortable for all parties of two. Two tops to close together is why Zahav doesn't get five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to love itfoodieatheartDined on 9/25/2014But every dish we had was way too salty. It blew out my palate. Had the multi course option and my longtime favorite cauliflower mezze was almost inedible. The branzino was incredibly salty. I was disappointed. I hink I'm over zahav.Special Features:
- Extremely disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014the menu was a set Rosh Hashana menu "family style". There was not enough food for every1 to share and when we asked for more it seemed as though we were inconveniencing them. We received 6 lamb ribs to share amongst 8 ppl .The ribs had hardly any meat, mostly fat. I requested a new order of lamb explaining the issue. Server confirmed a new order would be out.The lamb never came. We were told the kitchen closed at 10.We had a vegetarian in our party who was told she could not have fish for a entree sub because the kitchen was closed.most unprofessional thing was witnessing the wait staff and manager discussing the issues with our table in plain view. Server rolling eyes. Mocking. I've dined at Zahav before-AMAZING! What happened this time?
- Excellent experiencesteadyVIPDined on 9/23/2014Our group of four had a wonderful time from the moment we sat down. Our waiter (Ben) was amazing and extremely helpful. Every bite was fascinating, unusual and delicious. Recommend with no reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I actually ate beetsladyxdiDined on 9/22/2014If you can make my least favorite food taste good, then you're doing something right. I immediately picked out the tomato and cucumber martini, I probably should have gotten another one because that was glorious. We went here for date night and ordered the Tayim menu, which ended up being too much food, but I don't regret it. My husband is a vegetarian and this was thee perfect place for him. We both ordered all vegetarian dishes, with no doubles, so he was happy to share. Everything was savory and it still fascinates me to see different ingredients work together so well. Lastly, our waitress was awesome and I enjoyed talking to her about the food. Everyone that served us was great. We will definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for small sharingMariangelaDined on 9/21/2014Always a great meal. Fun sharing small plates of very unique tasty items. Hummus is to die for. Service is excellent. Cheers!Special Features:
- 10 person private roomOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We all had such a wonderful time in the private dining room for 10! The food was UNBELIEVABLE! Really a fantastic menu, and it was great to have the menu decided for us so we didn't have to think about it - all we did was order our drinks. The service was wonderful, it was an all around great experience. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful experience inde againAshwinDined on 9/20/2014This was our second time at Zahav, and we enjoyed it as much as the first time. The food, of course, was delicious. We were vegetarian, but had plenty of options, despite going there during reataurant week. The service was excellent. We will definitely be going back... Often...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dining experiencePhillyAmyDined on 9/16/2014Everything you have heard about Zahav is true, and the long wait to get a reservation is totally understandable! From the beautiful and fresh salads, the interesting mezze and the excellent "main"...all the way through to the creative and delicious desserts, this restaurant was a special treat.Special Features: