Zafra Cuban Restaurant & Rum Bar
259 orange st
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
Zafra Cuban Restaurant & Rum Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://zafrarumbar.com/
- Phone: 2038595342x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Cuban, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Chef Haya Tadahiro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering Available. Please call owner, Dominick 2 weeks prior to event @ 860-227-5195
- Special Events: Check www site for special event listings such as Carribean steel drums, rum tastings and others.
A word from Zafra Cuban Restaurant & Rum Bar
Zafra is a great place for a date or celebration of any type. Amazing food and cocktails combined with the feel of Old Havana make Zafra a great choice for a night out. With the largest Rum selection in New England you are sure to find some delicious Rums that are new to you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCuban
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Zafra Cuban Restaurant & Rum Bar - Best Restaurants in New Haven ›
Zafra Cuban Restaurant & Rum Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (21)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (12)romantic (11)good for groups (10)late-night find (8)special occasion (7)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- SpikeDined on 8/16/2014Great roast pork, tostones and a heavenly mojito. Service was wonderful, everyone had a smile and a willingness to substitute to make the customer happy. And I was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!corkygalDined on 8/9/2014Went to dinner there for a family dinner. First, the service was excellent! The food was AMAZING! We all ordered something different and shared and everything was to die for! The roast pork I could have ate all night! Don't pass this wonderful restaurant up! You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!Seabee88Dined on 8/6/2014I found this place online through Travelzoo.com, and I decided to check it out the next day. It took my wife and I about an hour to get to, but I must say it was well worth the drive. Highly recommended, just don't plan to have any drinks with a hangover like I did. Couldn't enjoy the selection of rum like I wanted to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return againKarieDined on 7/29/2014The service was excellent and our waitress was attentive to every need. The Ceviche was one of the best I have ever had, the main courses we had were coked to perfection. Only criticism was that dessert was clearly not given as much attention as the savory dishes and drinks but still yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere!mflorenzoDined on 7/28/2014Very pleased, service,food excellent . Better to visit during week as place is small so reservations are necessary on weekends but overall great dining experience. Will go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Surprise!UmpquaDined on 7/26/2014This was our first time dining here and the food and cocktails were first rate. We had the special chorizo empanadas appetizer and the special coconut tilapia curry at our server's suggestion and the were phenomenal! We'll definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/11/2014Overall, the restaurant was a pleasant find. The Cubano was the best I have ever had with the roast pork being particularly flavorful. I would like to return for dinner sometime to sample the full entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Little Restaurantmper08Dined on 7/2/2014Great food and an extensive selection of rum. Service is top notch. I highly recommend the tostones rellenos, shrimp skewers, and the lechon asado.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014We had a great meal at Zafra. Service was friendly and helpful. Food was delicious. Large drink menu. The noise level was a little high, I think it is the space - since there was no loud music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, 200+ RumsKennyVIPDined on 6/25/2014This is a nice place, not too big providing an intimate setting. The staff was very attentive without being annoying. They have 200+ different rums, many you would sip like a fine scotch. I enjoyed one and a mojito with fresh mint, lime and a real sugar cane stick. I ordered the daily special - a coconut-encrusted tilapia dish in a tasty curry sauce. The curry was a good compliment to the coconut. It was delivered hot - I had to wait for it to cool a bit before eating it. It was accompanied by rice and fried plantain. I will return to try more of their rum selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014tried 3 of the 4 happy hour appetizers: Tostones Rellenos Crispy were great, Cuban Dumplings were okay, and beef Empanadas were disappointing good service
- Good Ethnic CuisineWillDined on 6/12/2014Zafra was not busy when we had a business lunch for 9 in this relatively small restaurant. The atmosphere is modern, but with nice touches of Cuban flair. The lunch menu is diverse and reasonably priced. Even if you don't think you're a fan of Cuban cuisine, you'll find something you'll like at Zafra's.Special Features:
- Great little placeDonRDined on 6/7/2014Ate every single bit of food on my plate... So did my wife. Great taste, portions perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zafra - New HavenMikeDCDined on 6/6/2014Zafra is a neighborhood gem and a "hot-spot" for folks that like great eating and a very reasonable price.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/27/2014I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting good food, but my rib eye was perfectly seasoned and cooked. The boiled yuca were fantastic! I will definitely be visiting again and will be recommending to everyone I talk to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Haven GemMikeDCDined on 5/25/2014Great restaurant with excellent food, service and a vibrant atmosphere.Special Features:
- Not goodprisiaDined on 5/17/2014The appetizer was delicious (we had the tostones rellenos) so we were excited for the main dishes. What a disappointment. My husbands Churrasco steak was super cold, so they took the dish back, put in the microwave for 10 sec and got the plate back to us. Of course the steak by then tasted like rubber. The rice was horrible. They probably use the Uncle Ben's prepared bagged rice that you just put in the microwave for a minute and it's done. My Lechon assado was salty and also pretty cold. The servers were excellent and so was the mango mojito (the regular mojito was watery and we couldn't taste the rum). Since the staff was so nice we didn't have the courage to complain about the food. Def not coming back.
- Nice atmosphere, average footlsmithDined on 5/12/2014This restaurant has a nice bar scene with great Happy Hour specials and a nice atmosphere perfect for conversation. The downside is the food. Small portions that are not worth the price and average at best.Special Features:
- Cuba comes to New HavenMikeDCDined on 5/10/2014The restaurant is quietly tucked in on a small, side street which makes it a gem once you get inside and see the vibrant bar and receptive staff making your arrival, stay and departure an exceptional one. I truly enjoyed stopping in and having a great glass of sangria along with a main encore.Special Features:
- Great Food Great Rum Bar!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Ventured over here last friday. Saw it on open table figured why not give it a shot. Had the Churrasco Steak and paired it with a house mojito. Not only was the steak perfect but the mojito was just as good! The staff is friendly and easy to talk to. This will definitely be turning into my new mid week getaway!Special Features:
- Don't waste your money!GrouponloverDined on 5/5/2014Arrived at 6:30 pm....only one other table with people at the time and 4 ppl at the bar. Gave the waiter our drink order...took 20 minutes to bring our drinks! We asked him twice...trust me - this place is small enough to look right at the waiter/ bartender at all times. We ordered Cuban nachos to start... They took 40 Minutes!!!!! And arrived cold! The black beAns on the nachos were cold, (ugh) the cheese wasn't even melted....we ordered 3 dinners which were moderately tasty at best. The Cuban sandwich was probably the best... The coconut tilapia was pretty tasteless, the house pork dish was hard to taste because there must have been 15 garlic cloves on it. There is a much better Cuban restaurant in new haven...don't waste your money here.
- The following 18 reviews are from the Zafra Cuban Restaurant & Rum Bar reviews archive.
- Third time's a charm.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Visiting my niece at Yale over the weekend. Suddenly trying to make Saturday evening reservations for six at the last minute. No luck on the first two tries. Called Zafra - no problem. Food and service were excellent. A rum bar with well over 60 "sipping" rums awakened a table of wine snobs to joys of sophisticated rums (I learned that lesson long ago in Jamaica). I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Great place!NancyDined on 4/18/2014Friendly service, great food and drinks -- what more could you want!Special Features:
- Bad service always ruins the meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014Although we were seated promptly the service was awful and set the tone of the dining mood. We ordered apps that never showed. The waitress blamed the kitchen but we think she did not put the order in. She was not apologetic at all. The apps came AFTER the meal was serve. There were no accommodations made for the the mistake until we said something. And even after the apps still showed up on the check at the bottom of the check like it was an afterthought. When we brought this to her attention, still no apologies given but she was willing to delete those items off the menu. the food was pretty decent though small portions. I would have loved to take my leftovers home but they took my plate away while I was away from the table!
- Decent food, poor managementRobertDined on 4/12/2014Arrived early when the restaurant was nearly empty. Insisted on sitting us next to a loud talking couple. Decent food, but not worth putting up with the unfriendly management.
- Good, Semi-Cuban FoodBirdDined on 4/10/2014As a Cuban from Miami, I was a taken aback by their selection and what they considered Cuban food. They had some traditional Cuban dishes, like tostones, picadillo, vaca frita, flan, and empanadas. However, they missed some quintessential items such as croquetas, mariquitas, bistec empanizado, polla a la milanesa, pastelitos, to name a few. Many of their dishes threw in a plantain to give it a Cuban spin. The food was good, just not Cuban. Also, the men's bathroom has a picture of Fidel Castro on their door. Why they put a picture of a ruthless dictator on their door is baffling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!NurseDined on 4/6/2014Only thing is a table for 2 people in a odd location, directly infront of the kitchen door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the neighborhood gemTTwilliamsDined on 4/5/2014Overall, I wasn't impressed by the food, service, or decor. We were seated next to the bathroom. There was nothing special about this restaurant- and the rum isn't even enough to make this a reservation worth while.
- Great place. Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014Will definitely be returning, this was my first visit & I was very impressed with the service and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitJoyJoyDined on 3/22/2014Tiny restaurant with big flavor! Found Zafra through Opentable. Cuban food and rum bar in one. Classic mojitos are great and dishes taste homemade. We loved that it's in New Haven but off the busier sections.Special Features:
- Neighborhood CubanbranforddinerVIPDined on 3/21/2014Lively/ energetic neighborhood spot just around the corner from the Green. Reasonably priced creative dishes, all that we tried were delicious. Try the Cuban latte after dinner, not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we found this restaurantromilesdiningDined on 3/16/2014What a great place to eat. The waiter was very knowledgeable of the menu items and drinks. From the appetizers to the main entrée everything was amazing! Even though the restaurant was packed due to the St. Patricks day crowd, our table was ready without a wait. Great first impression and excellent end of the evening with a coffee rum instead of dessert (waiter suggestion). We found this place with travelzoo. Great way to get people to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All you need is RumlinsgriffinDined on 3/14/2014A friend and I met for a drink on a Friday night. It was a little difficult getting in the door, even with our reservation... but only because a large group of 8 had shown up at the exact same moment, and we had to wait for the staff to meticulously set up their tables before being seated. The service was fine, but it could have been a little more attentive. We ordered mojitos (which were perfect) and two appetizers, which were fine. As the bar filled up, it became very difficult to talk to each other as we had to shout over others' shouting and laughing. It is a good place to have a good time, but we were in the mood to be a little more mellow than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can't get to Havana....twodoxDined on 2/22/2014... but you can experience Cuba on Orange Street. ' Zafra looks like a neighborhood spot on Calle Ocho, with period posters, high tables and stools. The food was exceptional, full of tropical tastes and surprises. The ceviche was light and fruity, with a zesty cilantro overtone. My wife raved about her scallops. I have had many salmon filets, but this was something special. The crispy guava crust and avocado topping made it a Caribbean treat. The service was warm, friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day Dinner for 2OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Awesome rum selection and very knowledgeable bartender. Great for drinks, appetizers and background music. Entrees were disappointing and made even more so after a rather long wait. Honest feedback was well received by restaurant staff. Apparently they rushed cooking our dishes given the wait. None of the entrees were well seasoned and the tilapia dish needed mojo sauce to give it flavor. I would go back to see if they get it right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocre at bestjoesnowDined on 2/14/2014Took forever for meals and the portions were abismal for price
- Small but tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Food was tasty. Drinks were ok. I should have ordered a mojitos. Very cute place. Would have liked a little more personality. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Chef?OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/31/2014This was my 3rd visit to Zafra. The first two times I thought the food was awesome. I would rate the food on my third visit as average. Is there a new chef? Something was missing.
- Great Find!MellieRose17Dined on 1/31/2014I'm Cuban and I have been searching for a restaurant that makes authentic Cuban food. When I ate at Zafra, I felt like I was back home eating my grandmother's food. It was delicious!! I chose the Ropa Vieja, my favorite dish as a child. My husband enjoyed the food as well. The place was cozy and intimate. There was an sophisticated, adult crowd (which I loved!). Five stars for me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.