104 2nd St. South
Saint Petersburg, FL 33701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zgrille.net/
- Phone: 7278229600x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: 11:30 to 3:00 Monday through Saturday
DINNER: 5:00 to 10:00 Monday through Saturday (till 11:00 on Friday night)
BRUNCH: 11:00 to 3:00 Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Zack Gross
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
A word from Z Grille
James Beard nominated Chef/Owner Zack Gross has been serving his unique and acclaimed cuisine in Downtown St. Petersburg since 2005. We receive fresh local fish and specialties several times per week for quality and freshness, and make all of our sauces and sides from scratch each day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Z Grille - Best Restaurants in St. Petersburg ›
Z Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)neighborhood gem (39)hot spot (33)vibrant bar scene (20)great for outdoor dining (17)special occasion (17)good for groups (17)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (11)late-night find (7)notable wine list (7)romantic (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Always top notchBruceTampaVIPDined on 9/28/2014I can never get enough of Z Grille. The food always amazes me, as does the staff. Happy people make happy customers. This was my first time for Brunch (something that never really fit my timeframe). I'm so glad out of town friends were staying in St Pete and gave me a reason to drive over from STampa, on a Sunday afternoon.Special Features:
- Great all aroundLambiePieVIPDined on 9/27/2014This was our first time here. We arrived early and were seated right away with a nice table by the window. We shared the seafood nachos app - delish. By BF had the Dr. Pepper Ribs, and said they were the best he'd ever had. I had the pork enchilada - also delish. Wine bottles were half price before 6:30, which was a nice surprise. Good service. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High end HambergersKenBVIPDined on 9/23/2014Service was top notch. Friendly and professional. It was a Tuesday night. Had a top shelf Hendricks martini. Special pulled pork berger, wtf fries and chocalote cheesecake. A fabulous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit the spot!foodiewithabootyDined on 9/22/2014Wow! Z Grille was amazing, the bartender was excellent and the staff was very attentive. I made a reservation online, but ended up eating at the bar by my own choice. The menu was mouth-watering and it did not disappoint. I had read some negative reviews that the portions were small for the price, but I had so.much.food. I could hardly see my boyfriend behind the mountain of ribs on his plate. I can't wait to go back and I am SO anxious to try Z Grille's Brunch menu!Special Features:
- Order to goOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Food is great, I mean really really good. Unfortunately, atmosphere (tables and chairs seem randomly spread out and make it feel messy and cluttered) and service are awful. If I could do it again, I'd order my food to go.Special Features:
- Tasty, Unique SelectionF00dieDined on 9/21/2014Dr Pepper BBQ Ribs and WTF fries were outstanding!Special Features:
- pleasedmeleeDined on 9/17/2014came here for an anniversary dinner. great ambiance, casual but gourmet. A bit pricey, the hamburger is $30 will all the add-ons. The apps were more outstanding than the entrees. Seafood nachos were a win!Special Features:
- Nice findjfkbikeVIPDined on 9/14/2014We had a good brunch. A lot of different flavors with each dish. Good Bloody Mary's and diverse menuSpecial Features:
- DisapointedcatheVIPDined on 9/13/2014After reading the reviews, I had high expectations for this place. It was very noisy, despite not being that busy. The menu is pretty short and I settled on the duck, which turned out to be unavailable. I then ordered the gnocchi with shrimp and scallops. The dish was good, but very spicy and the menu hadn't mentioned anything about the fact that it was spicy. The wine list was also very limited and the prices pretty steep.Special Features:
- Flavor BombMasmanDined on 9/13/2014Zgrille is an upbeat restaurant which prepares interesting combinations of ingredients, perfectly cooked, with tons of flavor that does not takes itself too seriously. Need I say more?!?Special Features:
- ZInterestingsail55Dined on 9/12/2014First time at restaurant, great use of spices in appetizers and entrees, liked the tables at back wall where you sat next to each other and had a view of the whole restaurant and street scene...we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't Have Been More Perfect!YummyFloridaDined on 9/9/2014Found Z Grille via internet reviews. It sounded good, nice photos indicated a well-designed, yet casual interior. The website was impressive. Everything indicated this was a first-rate restaurant. Z Grille exceeded all expectations. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. The cheese and meat appetizer was fantatic. Service was supurb and our server was knowledgeable, attentive, and kind. Worth every penny and will gladly dine there again anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceAnnahDined on 9/6/2014The food was absolutely delicious a and our server was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED ITBrookenBeltDined on 8/29/2014Z Grille is an awesome spot. Service was incredible and the food was even better. Everything was perfect. Would definitely recommend and go back in a heart beat.Special Features:
- Chicken and wafflesEsb1Dined on 8/28/2014The chicken and waffles are delicious. Half off bottles of wine for early diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food A+! Noise level D!drnycDined on 8/23/2014Exceptional food choices, creatively presented, good service. But... I couldn't hear anything my dinner companion was saying across a small table for two. Just terrible noise level and awful acoustics! Too bad...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE IT!springrollDined on 8/16/2014ZGille has the best Chicken & Waffles! I've tried this foodie trend at several places but ZGrille nailed it! Also the Dr. Pepper ribs were a huge hit at our table... and the WTF friend lived up to their name!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUSLOVEURFOODDined on 8/16/2014This food was beyond great. It was mouth watering. I tried the foie grass steak burger and the deviled eggs. I was foaming at the mouth after one bite. I would come back again and again.Special Features:
- Z-liciousKofVADined on 8/15/2014We are from out of state. I Read reviews prior to going for dinner on a Friday. All waitstaff were friendly and pleasant. Ours, Tommy, was very patient and informative and made the perfect recommendations for meal and wine. Interesting decor, fabulous food. We highly recommend Z grille and will return our next trip in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If only I could eat moreMattDined on 8/15/2014We came based on the many good reviews and tried some of the dishes they are known for such as the fried dr. pepper ribs and deviled eggs. We were not disappointed. Will return when we can.Special Features:
- Never a dissapointment.BruceTampaVIPDined on 8/13/2014Z Grille consistently delivers great food and a great overall dining experience.Special Features:
- Z-GrilleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Z-Grille is our favorite in St. Pete. We never leave hungry and the food is perfect every time. Whenever we're tempted to try a new spot we're usually disappointed and say we should've just gone to Z-Grille instead!Special Features:
- Fun Menu, Great Food, Too NoisyAustinWriterGirlDined on 8/8/2014I've reviewed this restaurant before, and said the same thing. The menu is wonderfully creative. The food is very well prepared. The dining area is too noisy. Both times we have been there, however, the hostess sat us at tables in the bar area at our request. We had guests who are hard of hearing, so that was very helpful. Two of us ordered the spicy scallops, delicious and spicy with cayenne. One ordered the duck and thought it wasn't crispy enough. The other ordered the Korean BBQ and thought it was very good. A must: the deviled eggs and Dr. Pepper ribs for appetizers. Overall, this is a fun spot, targeting young people. But we older folks are also coming for the great food. Hope the restaurant will tweak the dining room to reduce noise.Special Features:
- great restaurantyummyinmytummyDined on 8/8/2014Menu was awesome, had a hard time choosing in a good way. We had D's deviled eggs, chicken & waffles, and Korean bbq pork. Everything was outstanding, will return to try other things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealBArbbellDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful meal. Server was spot on. Will def look forward to going back soon.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceWinendineDined on 8/6/2014My date and I were greeted promptly and seated. The hostess was our server, she was prompt and friendly. The wine list offers a good selection and the food is good. The scallops were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/4/2014We sat at a table on the bar side. Service and food was great we will be back.Special Features:
- ZGrilllinesiderDined on 8/2/2014Our meal completely satisfied a couple of real foodies. The fried ribs were crisp and super flavorful but not dry (a real worry most of the time), the deviled egg variety was a tasty surprise, and the brussels sprouts were a low-carb dream come true (I had 3 apps rather than a single meal). My friend had the foie gras burger and said it was one of the best burgers he had ever consumed, and he has had his share of great burgers. The atmosphere was a bit modern for my taste initially, but I quickly settled in and enjoyed what seemed like a high-end, gourmet diner experience (we sat at the bar where service was great). Highly recommend this place to anyone with a discriminating palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeminoleDined on 8/2/2014Limited but creative menu. Friendly servers. Food prepared well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceTravelGirlVIPDined on 7/20/2014We had anticipated dining here as reviews were excellent. First the restaurant ambiance came off as cheap and table and chairs were super plastic-y and uncomfortable. Our table wobbled the entire meal. Server seemed irritated that we asked for menu advice and really didn't know the menu items. We asked if the hangover burger came with waffles on the side and he said yes - the real answer is the waffles are the bun. We wouldn't have purchased if we'd known that. Deviled eggs were drenched in hot sauce - not our favorites but okay. Bloody Mary was excellent - unlimited mimosas were mainly orange juice - disappointing. Breakfast cuban was excellent although usually they are pressed and this one wasn't - great flavors and fresh ingredients.Special Features:
- AverageJDM225VIPDined on 7/18/2014While it looks very interesting and hip, that's the best part. Food was OK. There was zero flexibility. I had asked for a different side and the server told new no. I could hardly believe it. That side had bacon in it and I told him I don test pork and it made no difference. Two of the three cheeses on the cheese board that they raved about were practically flavorless. Deviled eggs were delicious. Oysters were good. Like I said, it was just okay. Nothing special. I will try someplace else when I'm in St Pete next time.
- Very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/12/2014If you do not want to talk to your dinner companions this is the place for you. Sound level progressed quickly to a level we could not carry on a conversation. We did not consider desserts or a second drink - paid and went elsewhere. Food good, some dishes better than others. Wagyu Strip good choice, as was Seafood Salad, and Snowy Grouper special. Chicken waffles, sage overpowered the dish. If it was not rainy outside dining would have been the better choice to enjoy the experience.Special Features:
- Awesome food but too NoisyAustinWriterGirlDined on 7/9/2014We ordered the deviled eggs, one of each kind, the seared scallop appetizer, the seared scallops and shrimp salad, and the Dr. Pepper rib dinner. All were just wonderful. My husband and I shared, and the ribs are truly as described on the menu: "meat candy." Only complaint: I know the dining world aims to have an "energetic" noise level to attract the younger set who buy booze, but can't restaurants have at least one area where people can talk over dinner and not shout? We asked for a quiet table and were seated in the bar, which turned out to be the quietest part of the diner. I'm not saying the bar wasn't busy, but it wasn't a loud busy. Great service and we appreciate the excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit noisyTexasGalDined on 6/27/2014From out of town, so I wasn't prepared to hunt for parking which made us late for our reservation. We were told by the hostess that they'd given our table away upon our arrival, but they were able to find us another table so we didn't have to wait long. Ordered the ribs as an appetizer which were delicious. The beer was served cool, not cold which was a bit off putting & the chicken and waffles were more gourmet rather than authentic which was not what we'd expected either. I wished that I'd ordered the ribs as my entree & that it wasn't so loud in there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrilliantsasseriansectionDined on 6/23/2014The food was excellent, the service wonderful, and the bourbon cheesecake to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationemariecjDined on 6/18/2014This was my first time dining here, but I had been familiar with Chef Zack's food from various events in the Tampa Bay area. The Dr. Pepper ribs were delicious, and the pork tenderloin was very tender. We had the chili-lime ice cream for dessert, and the flavor was great, but the texture was more of a sorbet. I liked the residual burn though! Our waitress was lovely and was spot on with service the whole night. Great selections of wines, beer and cocktails, plus the decor is really intriguing! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Great creative menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014We went to Z Grille on a Saturday night, mostly based on TripAdvisor reviews. The menu was very creative and the food and cocktails were top notch. We had one each of the deviled eggs of the day - all were amazing. We ordered two of their signature cocktails and they were excellent, prepared with house made ingredients (no sour mix!! Yay!). Our server Tommy was great - fun and well informed, attentive but not annoying. We had the chicken and waffles, and the root beer ribs - the two house favorites, along with the deviled eggs. Both of our meals were very well prepared, although the ribs were just a tad overdone/dry. The chicken and waffle dish is HUGE, with the corn flake crusted chicken perfectly prepared. Be prepared - it is noisy!Special Features:
- dr pepper ribs and morestevenDined on 6/7/2014food quality was excellent with unusual dishes; place was packed early in evg during the summer so thy must be doing something rightSpecial Features:
- Great placeAurelia8108Dined on 6/7/2014Great food great service great find great view will definitely go there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful surpriseBurgherDined on 6/7/2014We live in St Pete and have driven by Z Grille a thousand times but never stopped to eat. Finally, we gave it a try and we couldn't have been happier. The deviled egg appetizer, the ribs, and the hogfish were all sone perfectly and presented beautifully. The only reason for my 4 star rating (instead of 5) is that the funky, urban chic ambiance isn't my taste, but the food trumps the decor. We'll certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.