Z Cafe & Bar
Oakland, CA 94612Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Z Cafe & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.zcafeandbar.com/
- Phone: 5104512905
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 11:00 AM - 2:30 AM, Tuesday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 10:00PM, Saturday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Mehdi Zarekari 5108286564
A word from Z Cafe & Bar
Z Café & Bar offers unpretentious contemporary American Bistro fare using the freshest, locally grown meats and produce around the Bay Area. The menu changes seasonally to provide flavors at their peak.Continued
The bar features exciting new alternatives with house cocktails infused with fruits and fresh-squeezed juices. Z Cafe & Bar carries over 100 vodka selection and offer a variety of hand shaken specialty martinis.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Z Cafe & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)great for lunch (13)good for groups (12)fit for foodies (7)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- DisappointingvinrougeDined on 8/27/2014After reading the Open Table reviews about this venue I decided to try it. Great location and space, but that was about all. The service was not good whatsoever. After asking what were the popular dishes, the server simply went down the menu about every item, seeming not to understand my question. The descriptions of the food overstated the food that actually arrived. It seems no one was really trying to make the dining experience even as successful as a Mel's Diner. Probably won't return, and would not recommend to friends.
- Still GoodEATS4BB3VIPDined on 8/25/2014I am on a mission to try everything on the menu, but I back slid and had a repeat. The B.A.T. Burger and a salad for me and the Turkey Club with fries for my dining companion. He had never been but said he would return with his wife.Special Features:
- joseVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great place for lunch, dinner. The menu is surprisingly varied given the fact its a neighborhood restaurant. Easy to locate, easy to park, easy to drop in. A real local gem. When others appreciate the offerings, it will be a loss to those who appreciate its current casualness. Great success is around the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STILL GOODEATS4BB3VIPDined on 7/30/2014Wanted a couple of good burgers, got a couple of very good burgers, plus excellent shrimp and onion ring that were NOT greasy. the bartender made very good martinis and margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glovesmVIPDined on 7/16/2014This local spot has great ribs and overall the food was good. I would come back again.Special Features:
- happy hour !wineandineDined on 7/16/2014Great happy hour prices on wine. Service was awesome. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK ExperienceDinergirlDined on 7/15/2014Being a big fan of Z's I took a colleague to lunch only to experience a mediocre lunch of one of my favorite's, the crab salad sandwich. This time it had way too much mayo and absolutely no flavor. Quite a disappointment as service and ambience was fine.Special Features:
- Fabulous - alwayssheilaVIPDined on 7/1/20148 of us meet at least once a week here. This week 3 of us had the pork stew which was so yum! Two had pork chops - very generous and very tender & flavorful. As always, the service is good and the happy hour cocktails are great! I always have the cucumber basil martini which is very refreshing. We have never been disappointed here!Special Features:
- sheilaVIPDined on 6/26/2014Had the special tonight - always good &always a great meal for the price. Tonight was a chicken with mushroom sauce, cooked perfectly. Love, love the cucumber basil martini. The Happy Hour is great! Check the website for hours - not sure, but always happening when we come! Topless burger is sooooo good!!!! Comes with a beautiful salad - yum guild-free food! We come at least once per month & it is consistently good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Value For Solid MealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014Food is very good. Stopped there on way to East Bay from Oakland Airport. Appetizer Bruschetta was excellent. Salad good but get dressing on side. Fish of the day and hamburger were well prepared and tasty. One criticism is that food came way too fast. We were barely done with appetizers when salad and entrees were served. Tell the server to slow the pace down. We would go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun EveningJohnnieVIPDined on 6/14/2014Nice place for a group to take advantage of reasonably priced food and drink. Great selection of mixed drinks and a nice vibe, very friendly waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchMaryVIPDined on 6/10/2014Z's is a good place to talk confidentially because tables are far apart. The food is consistently good. Without much soft/sound absorbing material it can be kind of noisy. Z's is one of my go-to restaurants in the Downtown Oakland area.Special Features:
- sheilaVIPDined on 6/3/2014As always - awesome! We had the topless burger - very good meat on a wonderful salad! Topped that off with a gelato! Yum!Special Features:
- AdditionsEATS4BB3VIPDined on 5/23/2014The server was on her second day...hopefully she will get better. Great news for us Tequila drinkers, there is a larger and better selection!Special Features:
- Always a good dinnersheilaVIPDined on 5/16/2014First time for our friends - everyone was happy! Basil cucumber martini is so refreshing & different! The salad with fresh apple slices, blue cheese & raspberry vinaigrette is always fresh & crisp. My husband loves the burgers. The atmosphere is very nice, casual and relaxing. We love the Z -Introduced 4 friends & now they love the Z too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGMrsLeeDined on 5/14/2014We had an amazing time catching up with an old co-worker. My husband and I enjoyed their drinks a lot!!! and they Happy Hour Special for food delicious!!! Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:
- The following 97 reviews are from the Z Cafe & Bar reviews archive.
- AbbyVIPDined on 4/23/2014Very good food. Appetizers to main course was delicious. Happy Hour choices were wonderful with a variety and good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will RogerwillrogerDined on 4/23/2014My wife and I have been eating at the Z-Cafe since it first opened. We love the food, ambiance and service. I've never had a complaint. Nice to be able to eat lunch outside. We'll keep coming back!Special Features:
- The Z Cafe always pleases me.eatingisfunfunfunDined on 4/19/2014I'm stuck on Z's meatloaf which is a very substantial and tasty meal. The martinis are always nice; I liked the ginger one best. Portions are plentiful, service always great and prices are wonderful. No complaints and can't understand why there's not a line in front of the place every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good AgainEATS4BB3VIPDined on 4/18/2014As I continue to eat my way through Z's menu, I am still pleased. Tonight I tried the Honey-Dijon Glazed Salmon with steamed Jasmine rice and sauteed seasonal veggies. I also tried a cup of Clam Chowder, creamy, but not too thick, and did NOT taste like bacon and potatoes The glaze did not over power the salmon and the veggies were tender crisp. (all-n-all another good meal)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/18/2014We were pleasantly surprised as it is next to car showroom. Ambiance good and food excellent also very reasonably priced. Definitely returning.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, nothing specialKRWINEVIPDined on 3/7/2014My wife and I dined here on Friday evening. First off...the pluses. The server was very good and very attentive. Bad side was simple....the food was mediocre...nothing horrible, but really dull (my wife had the salmon, I had the fettucini). The place is a bit too loud for conversation also....which i don't like, but many people do. Another plus is that the wine list is dull, but extremely cheap! I am not saying anything really is wrong with the place....they just need a little more focus on their food and wine to get me to want to go back.Special Features:
- UNUSUAL LOCATION-GOOD FOODEATS4BB3VIPDined on 3/5/2014Walked past many times as "Z" is located in Oakland's Auto Row, glad I stopped in! My first visit was lunch, the sauteed garlic prawns were tasty and cooked just right, and the "Z" house salad was fresh and crisp. Came back for dinner with a friend and we both had the "Z" burger. Mine was the B.A.T. (bacon, avocado, tomato) both were cooked the way requested and were JUICY! I have since decided to eat my way through the menu, grilled cider pork chop was tender and moist. "Z" has what they call HAPPier HOUR which runs until close most days and 2100hrs on Saturdays. If You like vodka, this is the place to stop and sip, BUT TEQUILA is my drink of choice and there are not many choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food - great pricesliv4foodDined on 3/1/2014Little plates great for sampling - fried green tomatoes and meatballs were tasty. Good drink selection, and happy hour prices are very good.Special Features:
- Good Neighborhood PlaceRubberbluesVIPDined on 2/14/2014Nice Neighborhood place. Good food and burgers. Not a foodie place.Special Features:
- My family has gone to Z'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014My family has gone to Z's on a number of occasions as a place with a very pleasant environment, a very good menu at reasonable prices, something for everyone, and pleasant service. Our recent meal there--f or a family group of ten, was a pleasant gathering, well supported by Z'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemHUlagirlVIPDined on 2/13/2014Z is a little off Broadway so was a little hard to find (next to a car dealership!) but well worth it. It's very cute with a few outdoor seats. It has a great cocktail menu and the happy hour prices are very good - $5 for a cosmo or caiparinha, $5,75 for a chocolate martini. I had the lobster ravioli which had big chunks of lobster in them, not just ground meat but they were a little salty. I asked my dining partner how her eggplant parmagiana was and she said very good and not too salty so I think it was only the ravioli that got the extra dose of salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a good and under appreciateOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/8/2014This is a good and under appreciated restaurant. It is very crowded at lunch but dead at dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and casualfallonVIPDined on 2/6/2014The interior is charming - beautiful tile, fairly open floorplan, cute bar. The food was all good. The mac-and-cheese is a hybrid of pasta alfredo and the classic mac, but delicious. The fish and veggie burger were also great - and all reasonably priced. I wouldn't go here on a first date, but it's a lovely spot for a toothsome meal with friends.Special Features:
- Love this place! ExcellentAnastassiaDined on 2/1/2014Love this place! Excellent food! This time tried their meatloaf...the best I ever had. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a nice meal and good valueMaryVIPDined on 1/29/2014We enjoyed our salmon dinners and cheeseburger. Everything was tasty and a good value.Special Features:
- Great hamburgersCaptainVIPDined on 1/25/2014Very nice casual restaurant with the best hamburgers in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/24/2014This was our second visit to Z. The service was great. Our waitress coordinated setting up for a big party on a busy night and was attentive/responsive to our order. Our food was nicely plated and enjoyable.Special Features:
- The service was excellent,AngelDined on 1/11/2014The service was excellent, the food delicious, and the atmosphere was welcoming. I was there for a special occasion and got a free dessert from the manager. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small TreasureKellyDined on 12/20/2013Z cafe is a diamond in the rough. I had no idea it was there Aye I've driven down that street a million times. Yelp helped me and my group of 3 find it and I would definitely go back! The food and drinks were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for 1000 point try, but....BillinOaklandVIPDined on 12/14/2013My spouse, a friend and I went on a Saturday night. It is close to our Piedmont Avenue area home and we thought we would give it a try for the 1000 points, as we have found many new favorites this way when they are starting out. When we arrived, there were multiple large groups and the noise level was off the charts due to the interior of the restaurant being mostly tile and cement. We were seated at table 6ft from another table for 20 and we asked if we could have a table for 4 that had a "reserved" sign on it across the room. The server was "Snarky" and said no as it was reserved. We rushed through 2 courses (food was good) to finish as we could not talk. The reserved table was never used. They did waive our corkage fee when I complained.Special Features:
- The food's quality is nothollybabeDined on 12/14/2013The food's quality is not comparable to many many other restaurants in the uptown area. Too much sauce, too over-cooked, quality of ingredients not top notch. It's fairly reasonably priced and the space is nice (although it's often cold in there). We need all dishes (salads, entrees, etc) to come out at once because we had limited time and asked twice for this - yet, the dishes all came out at different times. It was clear the kitchen did not listen to the waitstaff.
- Quiet date nightdaniDined on 12/7/2013Great restaurant before seeing a show in the Uptown district. Great happy hour drink menu. The food was good but way too much In a serving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The onion rings were good,Caymanmama43VIPDined on 12/3/2013The onion rings were good, the burger and the mac and cheese pretty mediocre. The main problem was the temperature in the restaurant. It was so cold that my friend and I had to move, and we were still cold. No wonder there were so few people there.
- We found Z Café on Open Table,Foodie45Dined on 11/29/2013We found Z Café on Open Table, were happy it was close to our son's apartment, and that it had good reviews. We were not disappointed! Although it was a very quiet evening, the service was excellent and friendly. Dinner and cocktails were very good, and we were especially pleased with the great happy hours prices on beverages and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.