Yxta Cocina Mexicana
601 S. Central Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90021Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Yxta Cocina Mexicana
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.yxta.net/
- Phone: 2135965579x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm.
Dinner: Monday, Tuesday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Wednesday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Blanca Prado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We will close the restaurant for private parties. Minimum required. Minimum varies on the day of the week.
- Private Party Contact: Cathy 2137096222x
A word from Yxta Cocina Mexicana
The restaurant offers authentic Mexican food—handmade tortillas, fresh guacamole, slow-cooked carnitas, enchiladas de mole, as well as delicious updates to the classics—tostadas with sashimi-grade tuna, sweet shrimp taquitos, and salmon a la parilla.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Yxta Cocina Mexicana - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Yxta Cocina Mexicana reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)good for groups (33)neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (23)great for outdoor dining (16)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (12)special occasion (11)romantic (5)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- best marinated skirt steakluv2dineDined on 10/18/2014Blood orange margaritas, excellent guacamole, best steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best carnitas we've ever had!!LorrislootVIPDined on 10/11/2014Enjoyed all of the entrees. Great spicy cucumber margaritas!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs help with noisefredoysterDined on 10/11/201484+ dB SPL at our table made it difficult to converse. Outdoors would have been fine but they had no tables there. Guaceamole, mole enchiladas, skirt steak were excellent.Special Features:
- Great for groups!DrewPaikVIPDined on 10/3/2014The layout is very accommodating for groups because it's open and spacious, so putting tables together is easy. They have valet parking, and it's easy to access from the freeway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectKevinCVIPDined on 9/20/2014We were going to see a show at Inner City Arts and this place was right around the corner. Hands down the best mexican restaurant in LA. Perfect for pre-theater. Wonderful atmosphere. And everything was spiced to perfection. You'll love this place - even tho it's right next to skid row.Special Features:
- amazing foodKarinaHDined on 9/18/2014Great food, great ambiance and great service. Ordered the arrachera and my friend ordered carnitas. Very generous portions of delicious meat. Very attentive staff, and a large beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous fineellieDined on 9/10/2014we were attending a play at Inner City Arts and this was the closest restaurant. We were thrilled to find out how great the food and service both were.Special Features:
- love itLaPerlaBellaVIPDined on 9/9/2014My 2nd time here. Food Is Always A hit.. waiter made excellent recommendations to go with our yummy tequila cocktails.. a nice place to catch up with friends. .. take ur mom... or even a dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Que Rica!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2014Delicious Mexican food in an unexpected downtown location.Special Features:
- Parking is not easyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/28/2014Valet told us lot was full and they wouldn't take our car. Someone happened to be leaving-so we pulled in-at which time valet then informed us that valet was $2...even though we parked ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestfinefuelingDined on 8/22/2014Iv'e been to Yxta three times. The first time was great. The second time, excellent. The third time: a home run. From the warmth of the hostess, to the accommodating attitude of the waiter (my dinner companion ordered off the menu, wanting flour tortillas and butter for his appetizer: "no problem"), to the bartender (who knows how to make a margarita), to the artful and tasty food. I had the chile relleno with yellow mole, nopalitos and rice on the side. I consider Yxta my favorite Mexican Restaurant in LA. Its location is also perfect for us foodies who come from eastern LA county and don't want to struggle with traffic through downtown en route to the west side.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodJackInMilwaukeeVIPDined on 8/20/2014I have to say...the food was really quite good. We enjoyed the jalapeno margaritas, the bass, and the skirt steak and shared our food. The service was just unfortunately VERY poor. Appetizers were forgotten, drinks sat empty quite a bit, no one ever checked up on how things were, we waited for tortillas for forever, etc. etc. If it had been busy, it would have been a bit more understandable. We also would have appreciated a manager checking on how things were, but this didn't happen either. I am going to chalk it up to an "off night" for them for service, and I'll try the place again, because the food was really quite delicious.Special Features:
- Beautiful!La1960VIPDined on 8/20/2014This is not your average Mexican restaurant. The food is expertly prepared and delicious!! The interior with it's exposed brick curved walls, and modern lighting is beautiful. A little bit noisy, but not as bad as some places.Special Features:
- Yummy bday meal!Cookisa4letterwordDined on 8/18/2014Tasty food. Terrific service. Excellent guacamole!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yxta BonitafoodivaDined on 8/14/2014Great food, great atmosphere and we'd definitely go back! Only downside was that they seemed understaffed for having two medium sized parties and the rest of the dinner crowd.Special Features:
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014I took a client here for lunch. We were both impressed.Special Features:
- Great after theater mealbudinskiVIPDined on 8/2/2014We went here after seeing "We Will Rock You" and had a great time The guacamole is fantastic large chunks of avocado with roasted pepitas on top,the appetizer of the day was an ahi tostada which was delicious. The Shrimp Ajillo was tender and tasty the lime rice was delicious the salmon a little overcooked and dry.The mahi mahi special was well cooked with roasted cauliflower and the shrimp enchiladas were very good The side dish of epazote with cotija and corn was delicious and Flan for desertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Everything my friends and I ordered was prepared well, and tasted really good. The food was seasoned very well, and the drinks had just enough alcohol in them. The servers could have been more attentive...we had a group of 7, and I had to get up twice to find someone to help us :/. BUT, that was our only issue. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun upscale mexican spotxoxopriDined on 7/21/2014My friends and I always gravitate towards dining at this restaurant whenever it comes to big birthdays, gatherings, or parties! They are very accommodating and really take the extra effort to making our dining experience all the greater. Seems like the service gets better every time we visit. The restaurant itself is very fun, lively, and the food is great! Our server was awesome with his recommendations and going into detail with the menu. We love this spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalElMexicano40Dined on 7/19/2014Love the food the service is exceptional the waitress was attentive and polite.The food is soo good would recommend to anyone who loves flavor and wants a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef knows this cuisinePOFgirlDined on 7/19/2014From a poblano mole with just the right sweetness, the fat perfectly moist shrimp swimming in a glorious guajillo garlic sauce, the table side salsa with just a hint of smokiness, to the beautifully prepared and generously sized guacamole served on a banana leaf this kitchen produces wonderful Mexican food that shouldn't be missed! Sketchy neighborhood but management is sensitive to customer security and humanely treated a homeless person when she wandered onto the premises. Knowledgeable servers, great bartender, even cordial valets. Patio dining was comfortable and far quieter than inside. Go and support this local establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place to dine.LinaStar21Dined on 7/12/2014This is a very good place to dine @. Whether it be for lunch or dinner it's really good. Not to pricey. Service is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceeatinglocalDined on 7/9/2014Your restaurant team was very attentive from the minute we walked in, until the moment we left. Our dining group could not believe how fast our food arrived after we had placed our order. The food was delicious and the presentation was fantastic. The prices were also very reasonable. I would definitely recommend your restaurant to any of my friends and colleagues. There were also a few local senior officials dining when we were there, which made the experience rise to another level. I work near by which gave me the option to walk to your location. Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- FantasticNonick2Dined on 6/28/2014If you are looking for fabulous Mexican that isn't your normal rice and beans (as good as that is) this is the place to go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/28/2014Yxta never disapoints. The food is very consistent and the service is always friendly. Found near the industrial side of downtown LA, Yxta is definitely a diamond in the rough. Drinks are absolutely delicious too. Try the Mexican Russian made (I think) with Horchata and sprinkled with cinnamon is heavenly.Special Features:
- The following 200 reviews are from the Yxta Cocina Mexicana reviews archive.
- So delicious!JackInMilwaukeeVIPDined on 6/23/2014Wow, everything was delicious, literally everything that we tried. Arrived early for a reservation and the restaurant was very accommodating, then started off with amazing guac and margaritas, apps, entrees. We followed the server's suggestions 100% and he was spot on. The skirt steak was incredible. Will return soon!Special Features:
- Guacamole and margarita heaven!ExploretheworldDined on 6/21/2014Spectacular food and drinks! Especially the guacamole! Service started out with our table we reserved wasn't ready so they sat us at the communal table, but 5 min later a large group walked in and they pushed tables together for them! Hah? Our waiter was good for awhile, then we had to stop other waiters to ask for boxes, our check...we sat with dirty plates, not sure what happened, but probably not a good "reservation" place. Go with a few friends and enjoy the food and margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is an explosion of flavorsbbqsDined on 6/21/2014We went last Saturday evening at 7 pm, the energy was vibrant. There were people dinning in the patio section and inside had great music with a perfectly matching crowd. The food was incredible, it completely took me back to my childhood eating my grandmother's mole. Very delicious, rich flavors and perfectly seasoned food. The only thing that disappointed me was the service. Our server took a very long time getting us our dessert and at the end our bill. We waited twenty minutes for the decedent chocolate ice cream and another fifteen minutes after we were doing with dessert for our bill. I hope the service improves or I will simply stick to take out.Special Features:
- Consistent and TastyMattPDined on 6/13/2014This is my pre-game / pre-staples go-to- spot for dinner. Tasty, small but filling portions and a bartender who pours freely. Their chips are particularly good, fried but still flavor with the right amount of crusted salt on their outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy, Free ParkingMartaVIPDined on 6/9/2014The food is amazing, happy hour is wonderful, ambience is perfect whether in a large group or on a date. PLUS, have you ever heard of easy, free parking downtown? Makes it so simple to meet people here after work.Special Features:
- Upscale Mexican FoodvalleygirlDined on 6/4/2014Great food - the carnitas and guacomole are consistently delicious, and their flan and bread pudding are both excellent desserts. The service is very good. There is a variety of seating, that includes padded bench seating, chairs, a long high table with high chairs that appeared to be hosting a group when I was there. It does get a little noisy inside with the open ceilings, but the outdoor seating is very relaxed and quieter. I have been here multiple times and am always pleased with the outcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two new convertsLynnVIPDined on 6/3/2014I brought two girlfriends to Yxta for lunch. The fabulous guacamole was gone in a flash with rave reviews. The chili relleno rated best ever and both shrimp enchiladas plates were consumed with relish. And where false in LA can you get valet parking for $2? Love this spot!Special Features:
- Great food/service; music too loud.ChampagneDined on 6/2/2014Great place for large groups. Service very good. Food inventive and fresh and delicious. But the music is a bit too loud and interferes with conversation.Special Features:
- Worth checking outOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2014Tasty food, delicious drinks, and friendly staff!Special Features:
- Upscale Mexican in a great settingCrescentanDined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Yxta very much. We arrived during the hora feliz, or happy hour, and they had a great tasting menu of tacos and other items which we enjoyed. The kale salad here is very good - tender kale greens and lots of additional items which made for a really nice salad. We had some of the slow cooked pork which was very tasty and finished off with the very good bread pudding and their excellent coffee. Altogether very enjoyable, with a large parking lot right out front. The only downside was that the restaurant is all hard surfaces and the music is played loud - it was hard at times to hear ourselves.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!!!MelyandjuaqsDined on 5/14/2014Had my wife birthday dinner at Yxta. The food was great as always. We had the shrimp enchiladas with yellow mole, tacos al pastor, camarones al ajillo and the chicken al ajillo. The service was a little scarce at times which was the only negative. But the food and margaritas made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Mexican FoodViviDined on 5/10/2014Perfect hide-away in LA. Food and drinks are outstanding!!!Special Features:
- Great Happy Hour!laurvidDined on 5/6/2014We love this place for great margaritas and delicious happy hour foods. We usually have dinner here, but this time we just ate off the happy hour menu. Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home Mexican food with a FlairMadmex91Dined on 5/6/2014Great and delicious food! There hasn't been an entree that I have not loved. Even their salads make you come back. They make you feel at home and welcomed from the owner to the managers to the servers. Great for a couples dining and also group dinners. Fantastic drinks and 'Aguas Frescas' must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My go-to place for awesome MexicanDowntownbearsVIPDined on 5/3/2014Have been here at least a dozen times. Coming from an LA Live residence - you have to traverse zombie zone - but the food is well worth it. "New fashioned" drinks with your choice of anejo tequila are awesome. Gluten free aware is important to me - and they get it. Never disappointed here - must be one of the best Mexican places in LA. Servers are very friendly and attentive. I am salivating now thinking about some of their sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.