Yuzu Ala Moana
410 Atkinson Dr. 1F4
Honolulu, HI 96814Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Yuzu Ala Moana
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://yuzuhawaii.com/
- Phone: (808) 943-1155
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Saturday 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Isamu Kubota
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge
A word from Yuzu Ala Moana
Isamu & Moco Kubota are the husband and wife team behind YuZu. Our first location opened it's doors on 11.04.2011 inside the Ala Moana Hotel. A second location will open Spring 2012 at Ko'Olina. Mr. Kubota is a chef and restaurateur with over 23 years experience both abroad in Tokyo and in Hawaii (Maui + Oahu). The Kubotas' local projects (past + present) include Kaiwa in Waikiki, Kai in Wailea and the former Hale Macrobiotic in Honolulu. His wife Moco is a vegetarian who has been instrumental in developing many of their concepts. The Kubotas are passionate about great food, interesting flavors and promoting local ingredients. In his free time, Mr. Kubota enjoys the beach and listening to jazz.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Yuzu Ala Moana reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (5)great for lunch (4)good for groups (4)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Enjoyable first timeGreenflashDined on 9/29/2014Had a good time celebrating a birthday. They were kind enough to call me and let me know it's BYOB. Server was patient for our party of 8 and kept our waters full. Liked the Yuzu sauce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 34 reviews are from the Yuzu Ala Moana reviews archive.
- PriceyDiscouragedDined on 6/15/2014A little pricey for the amount you receive. Quality is good, but not sure if it is good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wheatyDined on 6/12/2014The yuzu is a citrus fruit and plant originating in East Asia. It is believed to be a hybrid of sour mandarin and Ichang papeda. So the theme is almost everything has some yuzu taste. Its tasty. its interesting. There are traditional Japanese dishes like sushi and there are some out there dishes like lotus root pizza (pretty darn good). Only knock on this restaurant is the wine selection is non-existent. The choices are red or white - period. In Japan reasonably priced wine is still not readily available in most restaurants, but we're not in Japan are we? Fix that and we have restaurant happiness.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/28/2014Food, drink, service and location are excellent. However, not a quiet place as I expected when it got crowded later in the night. Cannot hear very well with a hearing aid which made it hard to communicate with a friend...............Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HealthyZenjiDined on 4/20/2014If you're a health nut fan, this is a place for you. If you're not a health nut fan and love food, this place is for you too. On my first visit, the service was great. Food came out immediately. Second visit, we needed to remind our waiter that things were missing. And it took forever for our meals to come out. I'm so sad that they took away a number of things from their faux sushi platter. The items they took away were the items I was looking forward to trying. :( However, the noodles! You must try them. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!! Worth every slurp! Overall, not a bad place :)Special Features:
- NomiaHapiDined on 4/13/2014This is not a "restaurant; it is a "nomia" (Place to have drinks and snacks).Special Features:
- The food and its presentationXifengDined on 3/28/2014The food and its presentation were outstanding. The service was attentive but not intrusive. I hate being asked five times if everything is ok and they did not do that. They were helpful with suggestions and quick to fill up the water glass. The balance in the food was remarkable.Special Features:
- Good food -- Good TimingLovesYummyVIPDined on 3/22/2014Went to Yuzu during Happy Hour and got a great deal. For Happy Hour prices, the food was very reasonable and great tasting. We had the ever-famous lotus root pizza----yummy. We tried the spicy beef sukiyaki, and although a little too sweet, the beef was like soft beef jerky and delicious. Hubby had the 3-pc shrimp tempura which was light and crunchy. The only complaint was that they were out of the Kirin draft beer (which was a good price for Happy Hour). The Kona Longboard draft was better than expected. You must go to Yuzu during Happy Hour (5:00-6:00pm) to enjoy delicious food at good prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YuzueatoutDined on 3/15/2014This is a nice place in ala moana hotel. Very nice and inviting. The service could use some attention. Our hostest just walked quickly in front of us and left the menus on the table. Our waitress didn't offer us any help on the menu or recommend anything. They do have salsa after 10pm if you need to dance afterwards.Special Features:
- UniquebfuloblivionVIPDined on 3/14/2014Dinner was very unique, and was the first place to make avocado tempura (amazing) and as far as I am aware, temarizushi. I liked how they tried to incorporate yuzu into many of the dishes. Lunch menu however was limited and sadly the two favorites I ordered from dinner were no where to be seen on the menu.Special Features:
- Unique pizzaLovesYummyVIPDined on 3/8/2014We'd heard about the lotus root pizza that Yuzu served and came to try it out. It did not disappoint; very nice. The happy hour items and their prices give value to the meal. My hubby ordered the lobster bisque udon and though he said it was good, he would not order it again. The yuzu nabe-yaki udon was satisfactory but could have used a few more ingredients. The spicy yuzu sauce made everything tastier with its "kick." Would we go there again? Yes----during Happy Hour.Special Features:
- Great hidden gem in Ala Moana HotelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2014It always seems empty, but this high concept, mostly organic, Japanese restaurant on the first floor of the Ala Moana Hotel never disappoints. Great, distinctive, food is worth a visit. Funky, semi-industrial decor is a little different from the hotel: would seem more at home in Kakaʻako. Highly recommend one buy a bottle of Yuzu sauce before you leave (it is a great crossover for Japanese-Mexican food if you want to experiment at home). Highly recommend the lotus-root pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lotus Root Pizza was excellent.Luv2eatDined on 2/21/2014Lotus Root Pizza was excellent. Love the sukiyaki udon and maguro kama. Acai Cheesecake was refreshing.Special Features:
- Good service, Not-bad foodjenniyDined on 2/14/2014I was surprised to learn that there is sushi bar in Ala Moana hotel, in the lobby, no less. It's in the Kona Tower lobby, and I guess people are having a hard time finding it since there are directional signs by the elevators now. The service was great, all of the wait staff were very attentive and friendly, and we were seated right away. I had the Ahi Five-O, some yakitori, french fries, and a Yuzu mojito. All of them were not bad, but it's not something I'd rave about. I definitely recommend the ahi sashimi style over the seared, and didn't care much for the wasabi sauce. The ahi was very fresh and soft, so that was good. The mojito was a little too sweet, but it was alright. Overall, a non-fuss evening option for Ala Moana.Special Features:
- potentialMustangDined on 2/14/2014Too many little things that added up to a so-so experience. Started when my date and I showed up an hour early for a "sold out" evening but were seated anyway as they had a lot of "no shows". Food was ok but the staff was disorganized and service pour. Had to ask several times about our order.Special Features:
- Quality of the raw fish wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Quality of the raw fish was excellent! But some of the menu items just didn't titillate me as I expected it based on other reviews.Special Features:
- Yuzunr24769Dined on 2/14/2014Valentines dinner with the wife was very good. We were running late because of traffic but they called us to confirm that we were on our way. They saved our table without any fuss. The yakitori was a bit salty but the yuzu and shio sauce made that dish. The lotus root pizza was very good, you wouldnt expect lotus root to work in that senario but it did. The suggested sake Born junmai diaginjo was a great pairing with our dinner. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Love this place!CjreissVIPDined on 2/8/2014We do not eat any kind of meat and I always have a great meal here. The vegetarian selections are many and sometimes I have a hard time choosing! The people who do eat the seafood and meat say that it is wonderful. The udon is so fresh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surpriseAnonymousDined on 2/5/2014It took some effort to find this place which is tucked away deep at the back of the lobby of the Ala Moana Hotel. Loved the casual atmosphere and unique menu items. Our waitress gave us awesome suggestions for us to order and share which gave us a lot of opportunity to sample a number of things off the menu. The salad was so fresh and the spicy beef udon is a must! Only wish there were more of a wine selection...Special Features:
- Solid and consistent performernihonshudakeDined on 1/20/2014Good food, good prices. Excellent firm udon, renkon pizza is always great. Yakitori sticks were good as well. Pretty empty though, hope they last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewLexiDined on 1/18/2014The food was very good, different and the service was good. Atmosphere was not what we expected but the food was good the Yuzu sauce was different but very good. We are trying different restaurants so this was a very interesting experience. Good service. The hasu pizza was very good like they say it is their speciality.I would recommend this to a friend.
- sauce!shujiVIPDined on 1/17/2014That yuzu special sauce is crazy good. Put it on everything! Scoot back Tabasco sauce, there is a new everthing sauce in town. Things to order: Temari (tiny sushi balls) and gobo pizza.Special Features:
- Shopping day lunchHikariDined on 12/26/2013Great place to unwind after a busy morning of shopping. The dishes were thoughtful, beautifully presented and delicious. Enjoyed the nice peaceful atmosphere away from the hectic shopping mall.
- Food was great but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/22/2013Food was great but service just ok. Out of certain cocktails, very disappointing.
- Fresh & ContemporaryVeggie4Dined on 12/18/2013We loved the food--great update on Japanese cuisine! The vegetarian sushi was so tasty and well presented. The beef sukiyaki had a great kick, and the beef was so tender; the udon was cooked just right. The ochazuke was very well received. We loved the pumpkin and avocado tempura. This is a place to go back and try more dishes.Special Features:
- Yuzu restaurant-great foodLuv2eatDined on 12/8/2013Was surprised by how great the lotus root pizza with cheeses tasted. The hot sauce offered was a nice complement to it. The spicy sukiyaki udon was good. Sauce with meat serve in a side bowl and very tasty. Yuzu sorbet for dessert was refreshing. Also, loved the tea that the restaurant served. Great meal and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week - was okLexusDined on 11/18/2013I try to get to different restaurants for Restaurant week and YuZu last year did an outstanding job on providing a set menu that touched on all of their strengths. This year was good, but nothing to clap for. For $39, they started with a salad with their Yuzu dressing - nice, but very plain. On to 3 Temari sushi that was outstanding, but did not showcase their talents. Then a disappointment with their Udon pot - it was good and had 3 tiny pieces of scallop, a crustacean claw, some vegetables and udon. You cook it yourself and eat from the pot. Flavors were good, but nothing to return for. Dessert was a Yuzu sorbet that was very clean and light, but we preferred the Acai mousse that we had tried before.Special Features:
- YuzuRabbitVIPDined on 11/15/2013The food was good. The service was quite slow because they were busy. The server apologized.Special Features:
- Good food. Bad service.sfociscoDined on 10/15/2013The hostess greeted us with "Oh... you made your reservation online? Our manager doesn't really check that. Sorry. But we do have a table. Wait here." The manager doesn't check online reservations? Then why be listed on OpenTable. That's the whole point. The wait person was nice, but VERY slow and dragged out everything. With a child, we wanted to end dinner at a reasonable hour, and our waiter dragged it out at least 30 mins longer than necessary. 30 mins is a long time for a 4 year old. I would NOT recommend this for anyone with a child or who has a schedule to keep. I would also NOT recommend this restaurant for anyone using OpenTable.
- Bday partyalohasDined on 10/4/2013Had a birthday party here with about 12 people. Drank alot and made alot of noise and they put up with us. Friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Sushi but no sushi on lunchCatsAiVIPDined on 10/2/2013I've been there with my friends and sushi was good. Wanting to return with my hasband to have sushi for lunch. We both checked menu on line excietd to have those temari-shushis... Then I saw empty sushi counter with no sushi chefs when we arrived... The host told us that there is no sushi serving during the lunch, except "seafood donburi" We were so disappointed!!! Their website does not indicate different menu on lunch and dinner. Website only has "dinner menu" We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the shrimp tempura andMJC808VIPDined on 8/18/2013Loved the shrimp tempura and the yuzu salt they serve it with. Both the nabeyaki udon and the lobster bisque udon were great. Yuzu sorbet for dessert hit the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for a shot in theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/11/2013Excellent for a shot in the dark, take a chance and try something new. Alyssa was our primary server and provided great recommendations and attentive service! Great to see a nice mix of locals and visitors enjoying this gem. Ms. Kubota and her team are gracious and appreciative host.
- The food is tasty and theyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/27/2013The food is tasty and they have some good vegetarian selections, but the orders come out very slowly. We waited a very long time for an order of yakitori which ended up being overcooked and dry.Special Features:
- Completely Ignored by StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/24/2013I think our experience may have been unique, but our experience was exceptionally terrible. I should add that the restaurant was not particularly busy and we still felt ignored by the waitstaff. Half an hour after we were seated, a member of our party got up to get a server to take our order. And then we never got our food, even after tables around us continued to get multiple courses. After the table next to us, which was seated after us, received their third course and we had still received NO food, we got up and left.