Yuubi Japanese Restaurant
501 Balboa Street
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Yuubi Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.yuubisf.com/
- Phone: (415) 386-2011
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Joseph Tang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Yuubi Japanese Restaurant
Yuubi is a Japanese/Seafood restaurant in the Inner Richmond neighborhood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Yuubi Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)good for groups (1)special occasion (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Decent place.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/16/2014Wasn't too impressed with the uni. The fish wasn't as fresh as I like. Prices were reasonable; however, they could a lot better with their cuts and choice of fish.
- The following 47 reviews are from the Yuubi Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- Yuubi is beautifulVickiOVIPDined on 6/11/2014I'm so glad there's a true, full-menu sushi restaurant in the neighborhood--finally! Sticky rice is essential for nigiri-style sushi and other neighborhood (6th Ave/Balboa) restaurants have ignored or foregone this tradition. Yuubi's menu includes traditional sushi offerings at their best, yet it is also eclectic, extensive and allows for custom orders ... all beautifully presented. While they offer many great sushi roll combinations (favored by Western palates), I go here because the promise of real, traditional-style, elegantly presented and fresh sushi house offerings is guaranteed.Special Features:
- mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/26/2014Went with a group of 5. Food for each came out a different times. The dishes were okay, not bad but not memorable. Presentation of each dish was nice. The wait service was excellent. Not busy, but it was a rainy weekday evening, which helped with parking.Special Features:
- Service has always been good hereGlobalTravelerNDinerVIPDined on 1/8/2014This was my 2nd time dining here and both times we had good food and exceptional service. Our wait person had a smile and kept our water glasses filled all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh, creative sushiNanaDined on 12/1/2013We wanted sushi in my daughter's neighborhood so after checking on Yelp, we thought we'd give Yuubi a try. We were delighted with the quality and originality of the sushi and we were surprised at the affordability. I had teriyaki salmon and it was perfectly prepared and came with miso soup and salad - what a tasty deal. The service was prompt and friendly. My only concern was that the restaurant itself lacked ambiance. The space was vacuous and cold and the tea and miso soup was already cold before we could finish it. Too bad because everything else about this restaurant was top notch!Special Features:
- A real neighborhood gemFarahRamaVIPDined on 11/22/2013With a diverse menu and friendly staff, this simple Japanese restaurant is nothing short of a neighborhood gem. We braved the peak hour traffic to cross town and were pleasantly surprised by the whole meal. Our Omakase sashimi platter was really great value and made it worth the drive! The funky rolls were good too, although nothing special given everyone has spicy mayo and aioli in their rolls nowadays. Their customer service also earn some points with the complimentary valet service. Truly a neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Fun and Yum!KylarVIPDined on 11/2/2013Been coming here since they opened and always have a good time. Sushi chefs know what they're doing and servers are attentive and on-point with recommendations. Do yourself a favor and take your girl/boyfriend, Friday night pre-party crew, family, whatever - you won't leave disappointed!Special Features:
- Impressed with the serviceGlobalTravelerNDinerVIPDined on 10/2/2013This was our first time dining here. The food was decent but what impressed us the most was the service. Please keep up the good work as we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goold selection of food choicesVictorDined on 9/28/2013We went on a Saturday night. There was not that many people. They have a lot of interesting choice of sushi rolls which are good but not that special. The grill menu was good, like the shrimp grill. Price was reasonable. The location is really in a pretty quiet neighborhood.
- Man hating night. ...sorry guys!NatalieVIPDined on 9/20/2013My girl friend just found out her guy was cheating on her, so I suggested we go to this restaurant to have a man hating dinner! The sake and food was good! Service was amazing and staff was very friendly. We closed the place down and staff never rushed us out! I will go back again soon!Special Features:
- Great sushi and outstanding serviceluv2eatDined on 8/3/2013Happy to be back anytime. To get 10% off, bring your UCSF ID card.Special Features:
- Creative sushiRobDVIPDined on 7/15/2013Not your ordinary sushi menu (although they have basic rolls and sashimi too). Beautifully prepared and inventive dishes rarely disappoint. We'll be back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Love LovelcaiDined on 6/26/2013The service there deserved more than 5 stars. I can't describe what a great time I had at Yuubi. The food was exquisite and for once the waiter and chef didn't sound like they were reading off something they memorized earlier that day. They had real suggestions that went along with food I said I liked and didn't like. They really understood their menu inside and out and even went out of their way to customized certain dishes for me. The food was sublime. I tried so many new foods that day and all of them were plated beautifully and tasted like a little piece of fish heaven. The sushi chef ,Jason, is truly a genius when it comes to his food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013First time to this restaurant and we were pleasantly surprised. Over all ambiance was nice. The details to the food presentation was outstanding (especially the presentation of their sushi dishes). Overall taste of the dishes we had ordered was delicious. Would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodCaldoDined on 5/1/2013I purchased a pre-fixed menu dinner for this place and the food was underwhelming.Special Features:
- YUUBI not for meOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2013Wanted to like this restaurant but the food was just barely passable. It didn't taste anywhere near authentic. Food was bland & lacked the main point of Japanese cuisine - letting the food speak for itself. The sushi was rubbery & too sweet. Ramen just slapped together & tempura not light & crisp. Won't be returning.
- The food is great, the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2013The food is great, the service good, fish is fresh, and I love everything about this place except when there are families there. Somehow, almost every child that walks into this restaurant is a complete brat.
- Maitre'd and wait staffs wereMushudogVIPDined on 4/19/2013Maitre'd and wait staffs were friendly and accomodating. Server was very enthusiastic on recommending signature dishes on menu. However, the sashimi were served slightly warmer than room temperature and the vinegar was too dominant in sushi rice. Though portions were generous, I cannot finish the sushi rolls for the reason stated. Wish the chefs have focused more on the quality and execution of the sushi/sashimi rather than trying too hard to be innovative. Also disappointed in the home made broth and udon, a far cry from a simple Japanese noodle joint in Tokyo station. The tempura batter was thick and too brittle. Could be a nieghborhood gem if the focus is re-aligned.Special Features:
- Fun different items to tryM808VIPDined on 4/12/2013The atmosphere is fun, and so is the food. There are different variations of sushi rolls to try, but don't limit yourself to that. I really love the eel fried rice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was well executed. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2013Food was well executed. Our server needs more training in listening carefully (possibly English as a second language); a couple of errors for our hand roll--gave sesame soy instead of seaweed wrap; no tobiko--she even came back a 2nd time to confirm this item, and when we received the item, we even asked "this is seaweed?" and she said "yes". Finally asked the manager and told her the 2 items missing, which she confirmed that it was not seaweed. Manager was helpful and pleasant! Menu needs to be less extensive; too many items. Overall, we enjoyed our dining experience! We'd return to try more items.Special Features:
- Maybe this was a Monday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/25/2013Maybe this was a Monday night when they were short on staff. We were not acknowledge at the door for five minutes as the two servers hustled passed us. One finally asked brusquely if we had reservations, which we did so she seated us. The evening was one of long wait time. We sat with water and menus for more than 15 minutes before our orders were taken. We had to ask for tea. Food service was very slow for the five of us. Two udon orders arrived, pause for 10 minutes, two more udon orders arrived, pause for 8 minutes, and finally the salmon arrived. Sushi we expected as appetizers came through out the dinner, one arriving after the main courses were served. Food was only fair, so we will probably not be making a return visit.Special Features:
- This is beautiful sushi!VickiOVIPDined on 3/3/2013This is beautiful sushi! I hope this restaurant survives. Love it.Special Features:
- Yuubi is a must for sushiKylarVIPDined on 2/17/2013Yuubi is a must for sushi lovers across the city. It's become me and The Girl's favorite sushi place since they've opened!Special Features:
- Super fresh sashimi. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/15/2013Super fresh sashimi. Great presentation. Loved the Hamachi and Albacore sashimi! I've already been here 3 times and will try to make it a point to come back once a week. Great Date night spot Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Yuubi was always a cut aboveVickiOVIPDined on 1/16/2013Yuubi was always a cut above ... and now they've changed their menu so that fine sushi lovers may create orders exactly to their liking! This is really a creative departure from a kitchen that already has traditional sushi, hands down, right, and beautifully presented. Yuubi's variety of mouth-watering presentations is now a full blown sushi smorgasbord. Also the thoughtful selection of a perfect saki for your taste and food pairing preference(s) is thoughtfully documented--which we just loved. I actually remember what I was drinking and understand now why I liked it so much. We just couldn't get enough of this place; and the prices make almost the whole menu an incredible value. Yuubi means "beautiful" in Japanese ... and they mean it.Special Features:
- Price and portion are veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/29/2012Price and portion are very reasonable. Atmosphere and service are superb. Most of all, food is great!Special Features:
- a wide variety of food choices;OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/26/2012a wide variety of food choices; interesting variety of sushi rolls. very accommodating staff. nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- The experience and food atpoweredbyramenDined on 12/17/2012The experience and food at Yuubi was much better the second time around. Perhaps because I ordered more rolls and hot food this time as opposed to nigiri. Ordered the Dynamite X, My You Be, Scorpion, and Steak Teriyaki. Super filling for a party of three with great presentation. A little pricey for the quantity and quality but still a decent place for sushi.
- Great, reliable sushi stop!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/15/2012Service and food was outstanding. Great value as well.Special Features:
- This place was a bit of apoweredbyramenDined on 12/7/2012This place was a bit of a disappointment in terms of the sashimi and nigiri but I would be willing to try it again, ordering hot foot instead. The space is nice and roomy with comfy chairs. I decided to give the sushi omakase (8 pieces) and sashimi omakase (14 pieces). Some the fish tasted slimy but at least none were frozen.
- We've been here for 4-5 timesOpenTableVIPVIPDined on 12/2/2012We've been here for 4-5 times now, and we've consistently had tasty food, great service and all at a superbly affordable price. This is a rather simple place but the chefs have a great palate. The appetizers and rolls that we've tried have great balance of flavors and makes great use of fresh seafood. My personal favorite is the stuffed mushroom appetizer, while rolls with scallops are simply heavenly. This place is a hidden gem in the Inner Richmond that I'll be visiting a great deal more in the future!Special Features:
- We've been going here sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2012We've been going here since they opened and the owners are always so friendly! Don't just get the sushi, (which is delicious) but also try the off the grill selection.Special Features:
- Very fresh sushi and rollsFineDinerDined on 9/28/2012Very fresh sushi and rolls and a variety of cooked Japanese food as well. Service was excellent. Tea and water constantly refilled. Reasonable prices and good sized portions. Would like to have had more unagi in the unagi fried rice. All in all, a great neighborhood find. We will be back.Special Features:
- Very good presentation ofOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/25/2012Very good presentation of all of the sushi specials! Lots of yummy combinations at a great value. Fish is fresh and lots of my favorite options for rolls and sashimi. They also have a lot of tasty non-sushi options. Yuubi is a great alternative to the overpriced sushi bistro in the 'hood.Special Features:
- The quality is above average.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2012The quality is above average. Excellent restaurant.Special Features:
- Great service and $1 hot sakeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012Great service and $1 hot sake if you like their Facebook page!Special Features:
- Another chanceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/7/2012This is the 2nd time in the past month I've dined there. I wanted to give Yuubi a chance after a poor rating the 1st time. I believe they've fine-tuned the service so that everything is not rushed out. This time I also tried the unagi fried rice, baked mussels, and a roll. Aside from the mussels being so-so, the fried rice and roll (Juliet and Romeo) were very good. I would recommend sharing the rice among 3 to 4 people. Overall, I would dine there again.Special Features:
- the service was excellent.MelYDined on 8/4/2012the service was excellent. a very wide range of options on the menu. very clean and trendy decor. overall a great dinig experience.Special Features:
- The food was generally mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/3/2012The food was generally mediocre and came out way too fast.
- We had a party of 7 people.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/29/2012We had a party of 7 people. Some dishes were good, others were fair. The waiter was busy with other tables and we had to flag him down several times when we needed him.