2853 N. Kedzie Ave
Chicago, IL 60618Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.yusho-chicago.com/
- Phone: 7739048558
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:0pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Matthias Merges
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Yusho
Street food is the great equalizer--no glamour required. Yakitori, when well-executed, is about the simple flavors of authentic street food. A hot grill provides intense flavors from seasonal proteins and vegetables, grilled to order over a chattering, hissing fire.Continued
Beer, wine and sake selections compliment the fresh-grilled flavors. Craft cocktails, wines and spirits are chosen for customized meal pairings. Experiment and discover!
Beer, wine and sake selections compliment the fresh-grilled flavors. Craft cocktails, wines and spirits are chosen for customized meal pairings. Experiment and discover!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Yusho reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (54)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (27)hot spot (25)special occasion (25)vibrant bar scene (10)romantic (10)late-night find (10)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (6)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Visiting Chicago for the weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Yusho...food and drink was delicious, service top notch, and great ambiance. It was a quick subway ride from downtown and we found the escape from the crowds refreshing. It was fun to explore a quieter part of town and find such a unique place. We'll return next time we visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazing.tk01Dined on 9/6/2014I have been to Yusho at least 6 times and it is always incredible. The soft serve dessert (horchata) is among the two or three best desserts I've ever had in my life. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Excellent and interesting Japanese food. Japanese homestyle dishes that have been reinvented, but not too muscled up! Great ingredients too. Made me think of Roy Choi styling of food, but subtler than Choi (thinking Pot and Kogi).Special Features:
- Ramen Battle!!kaypdeeDined on 8/24/2014Have been to Yusho a few times now but this was the first time I was there for the Ramen Battle. Service was a little less slick than usual but we put this down to there being different chefs in the kitchen and a changed menu. Food was amazing, sake pairings were spot on and the soft serve was to die for. Love this place and will keep coming back.Special Features:
- YushoGrandCuisineDined on 8/24/2014Another fun evening with well executed courses. Tonight's dinner was a ramen battle between Graham Elliott and Homaro Cantu. Disappointed that the staff was not well-versed in the courses that they were serving from each Chef. One server even admitted that they did not get to taste anything that night. With extra courses and an extra drink - a simple $35 a person "package" turned in to almost $100 a person. Go on a night when the "celebrity" chefs aren't in the house, as the food and service here are usually quite good.Special Features:
- You ago was greatTfdsVIPDined on 8/22/2014Fantastic Asian fusion. The takoyaki was particularly good. As was the 2x fried chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointeddinko18Dined on 8/15/2014We were really looking forward to dining at Yusho after passing it up several times in the past, and were surprised to find the restaurant only half full on 8:30 on a Friday night. The menu was uninspiring, and they were out of the first thing we ordered. The food was extremely salty and the portion sizes were very small and overpriced. Grilled oysters were served before raw oysters, vegetarian items that were ordered specifically for one of the diners at our table arrived separately and causing our friend to have to wait for her food. Shouldn't call it Takoyaki if there's no Tako (octopus). Chicken skin was cold. Expected it to be a hot dish. For 4 people, spent around $175, left hungry.
- DISASTER!brichgoDined on 8/3/2014Keeping it short and sweet---we waited over an hour for our first food to arrive, and it took over 90 minutes for all the food to arrive. Most in our group were done eating before the last person was served. A horrible night with absolutely disastrous, inexcusable service that seemed to be related to some problem in the kitchen, but we never really knew what happened, and that made it all the worse. I've been there four times in the past, but I won't go back---it was that bad....Chicago deserves a whole lot better. I was embarrassed to be hosting the group I brought there.
- Believe the good reviews!caferienneDined on 8/2/2014Sometimes you can't trust them but Yusho absolutely lived up to all of the positive reviews I read before booking. My party of two was seated right away and after a brief delay between first pass and second, the service was stellar. We shared the pickles, beef heart, and foie gras special plus one Cosmo steam bun. The pickled quail eggs were perfectly creamy with a slight tang. The beef heart had a wonderfully balanced flavor reminiscent of jerky but tender and malleable texture. The bun was very good but didn't really stand out against the rest. Lastly, the foie gras had a lovely flavor but came out solid due to being chilled for the gelee(not personally a fan of gelees). Once it warmed and softened, we enjoyed it much more. 4.6/5Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- msjslMSJSLDined on 8/2/2014The food was interesting. Fried chicken dish overdone. Bun with eggplant very tasty. Mixed cocktails very interesting and good. Foie gras was very good but waited almost 40 minutes after all the other dishes served.Is kitchen understaffed?Special Features:
- Not great for groups larger than 4OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014I came with a group of 6 and we shared most of the dishes as recommended but this seemed to greatly slow the service. The food was delicious but the timing of the courses and accommodation for the one vegetarian in the group was not great. Also the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond our expectationsJeannieGDined on 8/1/2014Brought my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner and it did not disappoint! The service was terrific (I like the team work; guessing it's probably a pooled house). They were out of oysters so we started with the 2x fried chicken, which was perfectly crispy and moist. Continued with the octopus, which had the most delicious sauce and was super tender (love the enoki mushrooms). The wagyu was cooked perfectly to medium-rare and served with a sauce that had the most delicious acidity to it, which helped to balance the richness of the meat. We ended with the ramen, which we are STILL TALKING ABOUT TODAY. Then we ended with a banana sundae that was the perfect close to our amazing meal. We will definitely be back, esp for Sunday ramen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ambiance but subpar foodplatypusDined on 7/19/2014The food was way too salty, fried chicken was over fried and a lot of the different tastes/sauces they were trying to mix together for each plate just didnt go well with each other. However, the decor and ambiance are really nice. The staff was super friendly and attentive. They were even playing old movies on the wall. It's a cute place to go just don't expect too much from the food. The best thing there are the boneless chicken wings.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Service is unparalleled. Every person on the team is attentive, fun and walks with a sense of urgency. The are totally focused on creating an incredible dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousTetsuoDined on 7/5/2014We loved everything we tried. The staff was very helpful with descriptions and suggestions and the owner/executive chef came over to ask us how everything was and seemed genuinely interested. The food was unique to us but everything hit the spot. Rich for some dishes, subtle for others, and everything was a sensory treat. As a couple we enjoyed the sharing aspect of the meal. Only negative, once it got busy (8:30ish on a Saturday) we stared to feel a bit forgotten. It was July 4th weekend so possibly just understaffed for the weekend. We look forward to bringing friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- windowDined on 7/5/2014Unusual tastes and textures as usual, however, the service was a little off: my husband got a bad glass of red and the different, second glass was charged to our bill as well as the first. I asked to have our bottle of white left on the table since our glasses were empty too much. Our friend never got her coffee so we had to ask for it way after she wanted it. The coffee was not charged to our bill. Otherwise, the service was swift and efficient and the food sublime.Special Features:
- Ramen battles are fantasticCarbCakesDined on 6/29/2014I love the ramen battles; always engaging and tasty. The servers do their best to keep up with the steady flow of people, and reservations for these are highly recommended. Keep in mind that the first drink's included in the price; refills aren't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RRrrrrrraaammmmeennnnn!kaypdeeDined on 6/29/2014Sunday Ramen - $20 gets you the house cocktail, a bowl or ramen and a soft serve dessert. All was delicious - and of course we got extra drinks and food and made a proper go of it. Staff were incredibly friendly, place was not at all busy, love the fact that this is a short walk from my house and I will come back again and again.....Special Features:
- It is wonderfulChifrogVIPDined on 6/27/2014This is our second time and we brought friends that are not as adventurous. They loved it and pushed them to try new things. Service is always impeccably well informed. I would not go with their recommendation of 3-4 per person. We each had a steamed bun and ordered 6 things to share and it was plenty for 4. The cocktails are great and the sake list has something for everyone. Wish they had an outdoor area and please work on your A/C unit. Both times, it was uncomfortably humid. The mid century modern look is coolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes to YushoEdGrooveDinesDined on 6/16/2014This is a great place to experience a wide variety of food selections that you would not otherwise try. Everything on the menu was tasty and delectable. The descriptions do not do them justice. The staff is VERY friendly and enthusiastic about working there. A great unique dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shrimpershelley12212shrimpershelleyDined on 6/12/2014The place is beautifully designed, liked all of it , including the restroom. Staff e S some of the best! My waitress was fabulous and very knowledgeable on the nuances of the menu. She alsk suggested a refreshing tinic, lemmongrass drink as I dont drink alcohol, and it was the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a pan-Asian treasureDaaagwoodDined on 6/6/2014I can count on Yusho to always provide a remarkable experience: innovative, stylish, top-of-the-list, stunning. Flavors surprise and amaze.Special Features:
- TastyKrispykremeDined on 5/23/2014Two standout dishes were the pork belly and the 2x crispy chicken. Nice variety of wines and cocktails. Service was excellent. Decor has a cool vibe. My only issue was the buzzing of the ice cream machine. For some reason they have it placed in the bar area. We were seated across from there so the noise was very obvious. Other then that everything was great and would go back again. Next time I will make sure to sit further from the bar cSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 121 reviews are from the Yusho reviews archive.
- Perfect for a late night DinnerAngelDined on 5/17/2014Was my first time here and I wanted to celebrate my girlfriends new job, I couldn't have picked a better place and a wonderful night to enjoy a great dinner meal and the Ambience was awesome. I would recommend this place to all of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The New Chef d'CuisineLolaandCannoliDined on 5/17/2014Hasn't missed a step. The food is otherworldly, the service knowledgeable and friendly. I'd suggest my favorite dish, but it was always the one I was eating. This simple story to show they are operating on a different plane than most restaurants. My wife (the birthday girl) inquired about a particular spice that had sweet and spicy flavors. She commented on it to the host. He described what was in the condiment (ground yuzu leaves and crushed chile. She asked him for the name. He left the table, and returned with a little jar of the stuff. He handed it to my wife and said "Happy Birthday."Special Features:
- Small PortionsjennlapoDined on 5/16/2014I really value quality over quantity when it comes to dining. I'm not expecting heaping portions to fill me up...however, I'm also not looking for a simple nibble of some food. I was shocked to see the prices and portion sizes. We ordered the gobo root...and essentially had a little nibble of one each with a VERY thin slice of pear. I will not be recommending this restaurant in the futureSpecial Features:
- Incredible!mexifoodieDined on 5/16/2014Absolutely delish! Everything we ordered was impeccable! You can tell the specialty is pork & noodles. Extensive and well curated drink list. Will definitely go here again!Special Features:
- Fit to be sharedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/14/2014Ended up checking this place out based on reviews and it's proximity to the new Revolution Brewing taproom. The food was delicious, the servers were very friendly and knowledgeable, and the atmosphere was very comfortable and hip. I would definitely recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough to beatMSD8489Dined on 5/12/2014Can't imagine being able to find a better meal in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food, amazing serviceForceflowDined on 5/4/2014The food was good. It was a unique take on ramen. My wife ordered the Logan Poser ramen which was a new take on the traditional pork shoulder shoyu ramen. I ordered the crab cake and milk poached catfish ramen. That was also very unique. The flavors were a bit muddled and mixed but overall very enjoyable. The service, though, was incredible. I've been to some of the best restaurants in the world, so that's why I am a bit harsh on the food but their service, for the kind of meal we had, was exceptional. Truly matched those world-class restaurants because our waiter was so considerate, attentive, and refined. They definitely demonstrated their worth. We will be back many times.Special Features:
- Ramen Battle;the food was great butCarbCakesDined on 4/20/2014While we had thoroughly enjoyed our previous ramen battle at Yusho, this one was different. The food and drinks were fantastic, but the service was poor. It was clear that there was confusion with the table next to ours, who ordered after us, but got their food (and extra dessert) first. We waited an hour for our ramen, and were on the edge of leaving when it arrived. They were regulars, clearly, but it wasn't crowded enough to excuse the lengthy wait and inattentive service - they had finished their meal right as our main course arrived. Perhaps on a regular night it's different? A big fan of the ramen battles, and we want to come back soon to try out the regular menu; hoping our next experience is different.Special Features:
- First meal off the plane!!Instagramal3xxxxDined on 4/18/2014Totally impressed from their impeccable service and wide variety of sake to their daily specials of which my favourite was the seared foie with coffee nori crackers and banana cashew purée .. I need to extend my Chicago food tour!! Yusho does not disappoint!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yushoed me the lightwhyisntthisworkingDined on 4/17/2014My girlfriend and I were shown superior, personable service from Ryan our server. He displayed extensive knowledge of the menu and painted a savory picture of each dish with his descriptions. It's not cheap, but it's worth the splurge. I'm drooling reminiscing over the pork belly on the bun, chicken wings (had to order seconds), white fish in bun balls, quail legs, and can't forget the TOFU DOUGHNUTS! The refreshments were as memorable as the food. Heavily anticipating my next visit to Yusho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Flavors, but expensive!PRudnickVIPDined on 4/16/2014We really enjoyed Yusho and absolutely loved the chicken drummies and the cod buns were amazing. The price was a little high per dish so we will reserve this for special occasions only because there are places around the city that do great flavors for less, but will definitely be back for a drink and chicken drummies and will probably avoid some of the higher priced menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Food at Fine Dining Pricesluv2dineDined on 4/5/2014The atmosphere at YUSHO is relaxed. The servers wear T-shirts. The menu is based on Japanese bar food. BUT... There are only a couple beers under $10. The whiskey list is impressive, but unaffordable. I paid $9 for a steamed bun that was just as delicious as the ones you can get behind the counter at the 7-11s in Tokyo. The search continues.Special Features:
- Highly recommend the tastingarianaDined on 4/5/2014Highly recommend the tasting menu - very nice experience, food was delicious and staff was very accommodating and friendly. Great evening!Special Features:
- Birthday foodyOldandhipDined on 4/4/2014I didn't want to know what I was eating but it all tasted great. The service was amazingly helpful and accommodating including the dessert sampling that made a great birthday treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingAznfood4lyfeDined on 4/2/2014While the flavors presented at Yusho were mildly interesting, the portion size were far too small and the service was awkward at best. We were told all the dishes could be shared - not true. How does one split a whole BBQ duck leg five ways? And the prices didn't match the amount of food received. I would've fathered bone in chicken wings if it meant I could get more than two for six dollars. Outrageous. And after we ordered our 13 savory items and four desserts, our server seemed to ignore us as we sat with a table full of empty plates waiting for our check. It was after ten pm on a Wednesday. I'd like to go home. Overall, the space for the theme, but the food and service were lacking.Special Features:
- Best in ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2014Yusho is my new favorite place in all of Chicago. Food was beyond exceptional and our waiter, Ryan, was super knowledgeable about the menu and sake list. We will become regulars at Yusho!Special Features:
- Second time even better!JukewallahVIPDined on 3/29/2014I love this place, consistently inventive and surprising, Staff knows what they are doing but the style is a little chaotic with many different people coming to the table. As Michelin says "worth a special trip"Special Features: