10444-82nd (Whyte) ave
Edmonton, AB T6E2A2Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://yiannistaverna.ca/
- Phone: (780) 433-6768
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday & Monday: 5:00 - 10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: James Anast
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Catering: Yiannis will do off-site catering, but some conditions apply.
- Private Party Facilities: Our lounge can be booked out for corporate functions.
- Private Party Contact: Tammy 780-433-6768
- Entertainment: Belly Dancing shows every Friday @ 8:00 and Saturday @ 7 & 9.
A word from Yiannis Taverna
Yiannis serves Greek food that is inspired by traditional recipes and healthy living. Our chef, James Anast, tries to encompass every aspect of Greek cookery, from its inherent healthfulness, to its history and customs in our menu. We are located in our own building on trendy and historic Whyte Ave and have a warm and ambient room that evokes thoughts of the Mediterranean. To further enhance your dining experience there is belly-dancing on weekends and a beautiful Moroccan lounge in our lower floor for you to sip some tasty libations before or after your dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Yiannis Taverna - Best Restaurants in Old Strathcona ›
Yiannis Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (22)special occasion (18)neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (12)hot spot (11)great for outdoor dining (11)romantic (9)notable wine list (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Very good food!luvduvsDined on 11/8/2014We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary and enjoyed the platter for two very much. The flaming cheese and Yianni's special dessert were awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome FoodfoodloverDined on 10/31/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants. I have come numerous times and never disappointed. We have the Meza for two and it is always good. There is a nice selection - chicken, salmon and lamb. The meat is lightly seasoned, and is served with potatoes, vegetables and rice. Along with the main dish you get an awesome Greek salad, pita with hummas and by far the best saganaki on this side of the ocean!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpriceVIPDined on 10/18/2014Always a great spot to go for fun times and delicious food!Special Features:
- Averange Greek food - Great serviceAguiarVIPDined on 10/15/2014I loved Greek food, I was in Edmonton on a business trip. I decided to try Yiannis Taverna. The food is just overage. The service was excellent. Good atmosphere. A little bit overpriced.Special Features:
- Good times!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014Went on a weeknight. Was busy, and festive with belly dance show. Enjoyed my malbec, lamb chops, and my baclava. Will return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great squidJamilaDined on 10/6/2014Very nice place with an understated Grecian charm. Not your typical greek decor(much better!), but classic dishes of the homeland. Always can count on this place for a nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceMelcanada2014Dined on 9/6/2014the renovations that Yianni's has done are outstanding, great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Keep coming backkitkatDined on 9/3/2014Always a favorite, on my list for food cravings. Many great dishes, moussaka, kalamari, prawns to name a few. Definitely a gem for mediterranean flavours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belly dancegoodDined on 8/29/2014The belly dance was too short. The food and services was very good. No complain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BettyJeanDined on 8/29/2014Our waitress was excellent. The food was average. Disappointed that they did not have the wine that I requested from their wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leni1Dined on 8/29/2014As always, Yiannis never fails to please! Thanks again for making a special occasion memorable.Special Features:
- benYEGDined on 8/27/2014Service is really great but food is too pricey for what you get. Gap between the very nice atmosphere and the food.Special Features:
- Good menu for sharingNicetoeatDined on 8/26/2014We spent a good evening at Yiannis Taverna ordering and sharing some of the appetizers. It was a good way to enjoy a variety of savoury dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea BassOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Tried the catch of day, whole sea bass, for $24. Very good value. I have returned 3 times for it. You get the whole fish, eyes and all. If you like seafood, this is a delicacy for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!JamilaDined on 8/24/2014This is such a nice neighborhood restaurant, When you don;t feel like cooking. You can get that home cooked tatse. We usually go on Sundays, and the crowd is nice too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good serviceJamminDined on 8/16/2014We were a party of 16 on a very busy Saturday night. Our service was awesome, and the food great! We didn't wait long for anything and were very happy with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glorious GreekLeni1Dined on 7/31/2014Once again we spent a beautiful summer evening dining at our favorite restaurant! A table close to the open window is our favorite - you can see all the action on Whyte Avenue, while still enjoying white table cloth dining. If the weather changes we are safe! The wine selection has really grown over the past year, and the food remains consistently good. We enjoyed moussaka and malbec. The Ek Mek for dessert is irresistable. Dining at Yiannis always feels like an event - summer or winter. It is an easy way to travel to Greece. The owners, Tammy and Jim, are attentive and make you feel welcomed. The service was outstanding. Thanks, again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 266 reviews are from the Yiannis Taverna reviews archive.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014My husband and I enjoyed a late night dinner here and were very impressed. We tried the house specialty rack of lamb, and the recommended moussaka. Both were wonderful. We also loved the wine pairings. Service was excellent. Will be back!Special Features:
- overthetopDined on 7/19/2014we had a great time ... our friend from england has been to greece a few times and said the meal was greatSpecial Features:
- Feast!JayCeeDined on 7/15/2014Our party of 4 enjoyed the entree sampler and everything was delicious. There was so much food we had enough for a meal of leftovers the next day - excellent value. Love the saganaki too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this restaurant!JamilaDined on 7/13/2014This is an anniversary tradition for 22 years now! Always amazing food, fantastic service, and terrific ambience. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great!kitkatDined on 7/13/2014Enjoyed my meal tremendously! The rack of lamb was perfectly prepared and my bottle of red wine was served at correct temperature. Good wine list and tapas menu too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but expensive!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014The food was great! The price was high, too high! I hope the price was lower.Special Features:
- B day dinnerFranjoDined on 6/30/2014Super service etc.... Food was ok. Salad fresh chicken good....steamed veg & chicken....potatoe - standard Greek food. That's the problem.....so very predictable. Fantastic atmosphere for a party crowd:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/15/2014We went with a group of 12, aged 15-88. All enjoyed the excellent service and food. Looked like it would be a fun spot on the evenings when they have belly dancers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No complaints!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014Food - very good quality. Recommend for an evening out on Whyte Avenue.Special Features:
- Good Dinner with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014Had a wonderful evening dining at Yiannis - our server Zoi was very attentive, and informative with menu questions. The belly dancer show was entertaining and got the place jumping - it was a fun night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere, Decent FoodMattVIPDined on 5/23/2014Was walking down Whyte and decided to try this place somewhat on a whim, after reading pretty good reviews of it. It was a very vibrant atmosphere, and it was nice that the restaurant was open to the street on a beautiful day. Thankfully there weren't any mosquitoes! The service was pretty average, but the food was fairly good (to be honest, some of it was no better than Opa, but I like Opa!). The flamed cheese was delicious though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomePetrDined on 5/16/2014Great atmosphere,excellent service. menu was sufficient and had enough to chose from.Wine list was the same. Location of the restaurant was great and the inside decor was rustic. Recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes Greek.Special Features:
- treated my momOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Loved the food and the entertainment!!! My mom loved it. Thanks.Special Features:
- SusanDined on 5/10/2014Great service, great food, great restaurant. Clean, friendly and a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Opa!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/7/2014Beautiful day, sat in the window, sipped wine and ate great food. This is my friend's restaurant, and I love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and timeYegemjay8Dined on 5/2/2014Liked the food and the belly dancer who was so friendly to the little girl in our group and showed her how to dance :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experienceLeni1Dined on 5/1/2014We have been enjoying Yiannis for many years. Occasionally we have tried other Greek restaurants and then wondered why we did. We always come back to our favorite: Yianni's! The location on Whyte Ave. is perfect; you feel like you are in the heart of Edmonton. The decor is chic, yet warm and inviting. The food never disappoints. We enjoy the meal for 2, or for 4. The wine selection is terrific. The greek salad is a family favorite. If you like Mediterranean food this is the best place in town. Oh, and the cheesecake is soo good.
- My hubbies bdaySallyDined on 4/12/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening out at Yiannis's . Our server was fun, energetic and good. The food was good and nicely presented. The belly dancer was very entertaining. Drinks and wine were also good, dessert was tempting but we had no room to try any. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining Experience....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2014My wife and I are not new to this restaurant but we wanted to take our friends to experience the atmosphere, the Greek dishes and the general ambiance of a place we consider to be our hidden gem. A place we can relax after a stressful week and share a fine bottle of wine and have a home cooked meal with awesome service and never feel rushed. This place took care of all those needs and impressed our friends enough to say they would be back as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of GreeceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014We were in Crete last fall and this brought back great memories of the awesome food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With kidsbdayDined on 4/5/2014Would have like to see a kids menu! And the chairs are so light, every time you got up they would fall over,just with your coat hanging on it.Special Features:
- Fun ExperiencewkndincalgVIPDined on 3/29/2014Came here on a Saturday night, they have a 6pm and 8pm seating, due to belly dancing performances. The service was not bad, slow at times, but the food was good, and the belly dancer was really fun... Watch out, or she'll get you with that scarf, and you have to dance. ;-)Special Features:
- Thanks, again, for anotherLeni1Dined on 3/28/2014Thanks, again, for another wonderful evening at your restaurant. It is always fun! Great food, great service; no wonder you are our favorite!I would recommend this to a friend.