10444-82nd (Whyte) ave
Edmonton, AB T6E2A2Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://yiannistaverna.ca/
- Phone: 7804336768
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday & Monday: 5:00 - 10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: James Anast
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Catering: Yiannis will do off-site catering, but some conditions apply.
- Private Party Facilities: Our lounge can be booked out for corporate functions.
- Private Party Contact: Tammy 780-433-6768
- Entertainment: Belly Dancing shows every Friday @ 8:00 and Saturday @ 7 & 9.
A word from Yiannis Taverna
Yiannis serves Greek food that is inspired by traditional recipes and healthy living. Our chef, James Anast, tries to encompass every aspect of Greek cookery, from its inherent healthfulness, to its history and customs in our menu. We are located in our own building on trendy and historic Whyte Ave and have a warm and ambient room that evokes thoughts of the Mediterranean. To further enhance your dining experience there is belly-dancing on weekends and a beautiful Moroccan lounge in our lower floor for you to sip some tasty libations before or after your dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Yiannis Taverna - Best Restaurants in Old Strathcona ›
Yiannis Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (34)special occasion (31)neighborhood gem (24)romantic (19)great for outdoor dining (18)fit for foodies (17)hot spot (14)scenic view (11)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Belly danceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014The belly dance was too short. The food and services was very good. No complain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leni1Dined on 8/29/2014As always, Yiannis never fails to please! Thanks again for making a special occasion memorable.Special Features:
- benYEGDined on 8/27/2014Service is really great but food is too pricey for what you get. Gap between the very nice atmosphere and the food.Special Features:
- Good menu for sharingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We spent a good evening at Yiannis Taverna ordering and sharing some of the appetizers. It was a good way to enjoy a variety of savoury dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea BassOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Tried the catch of day, whole sea bass, for $24. Very good value. I have returned 3 times for it. You get the whole fish, eyes and all. If you like seafood, this is a delicacy for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!JamilaDined on 8/24/2014This is such a nice neighborhood restaurant, When you don;t feel like cooking. You can get that home cooked tatse. We usually go on Sundays, and the crowd is nice too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good serviceJamminDined on 8/16/2014We were a party of 16 on a very busy Saturday night. Our service was awesome, and the food great! We didn't wait long for anything and were very happy with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glorious GreekLeni1Dined on 7/31/2014Once again we spent a beautiful summer evening dining at our favorite restaurant! A table close to the open window is our favorite - you can see all the action on Whyte Avenue, while still enjoying white table cloth dining. If the weather changes we are safe! The wine selection has really grown over the past year, and the food remains consistently good. We enjoyed moussaka and malbec. The Ek Mek for dessert is irresistable. Dining at Yiannis always feels like an event - summer or winter. It is an easy way to travel to Greece. The owners, Tammy and Jim, are attentive and make you feel welcomed. The service was outstanding. Thanks, again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014My husband and I enjoyed a late night dinner here and were very impressed. We tried the house specialty rack of lamb, and the recommended moussaka. Both were wonderful. We also loved the wine pairings. Service was excellent. Will be back!Special Features:
- overthetopDined on 7/19/2014we had a great time ... our friend from england has been to greece a few times and said the meal was greatSpecial Features:
- Feast!JayCeeDined on 7/15/2014Our party of 4 enjoyed the entree sampler and everything was delicious. There was so much food we had enough for a meal of leftovers the next day - excellent value. Love the saganaki too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this restaurant!JamilaDined on 7/13/2014This is an anniversary tradition for 22 years now! Always amazing food, fantastic service, and terrific ambience. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great!kitkatDined on 7/13/2014Enjoyed my meal tremendously! The rack of lamb was perfectly prepared and my bottle of red wine was served at correct temperature. Good wine list and tapas menu too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but expensive!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014The food was great! The price was high, too high! I hope the price was lower.Special Features:
- B day dinnerFranjoDined on 6/30/2014Super service etc.... Food was ok. Salad fresh chicken good....steamed veg & chicken....potatoe - standard Greek food. That's the problem.....so very predictable. Fantastic atmosphere for a party crowd:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/15/2014We went with a group of 12, aged 15-88. All enjoyed the excellent service and food. Looked like it would be a fun spot on the evenings when they have belly dancers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No complaints!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014Food - very good quality. Recommend for an evening out on Whyte Avenue.Special Features:
- Good Dinner with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014Had a wonderful evening dining at Yiannis - our server Zoi was very attentive, and informative with menu questions. The belly dancer show was entertaining and got the place jumping - it was a fun night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere, Decent FoodMattVIPDined on 5/23/2014Was walking down Whyte and decided to try this place somewhat on a whim, after reading pretty good reviews of it. It was a very vibrant atmosphere, and it was nice that the restaurant was open to the street on a beautiful day. Thankfully there weren't any mosquitoes! The service was pretty average, but the food was fairly good (to be honest, some of it was no better than Opa, but I like Opa!). The flamed cheese was delicious though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomePetrDined on 5/16/2014Great atmosphere,excellent service. menu was sufficient and had enough to chose from.Wine list was the same. Location of the restaurant was great and the inside decor was rustic. Recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes Greek.Special Features:
- treated my momOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Loved the food and the entertainment!!! My mom loved it. Thanks.Special Features:
- SusanDined on 5/10/2014Great service, great food, great restaurant. Clean, friendly and a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Opa!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/7/2014Beautiful day, sat in the window, sipped wine and ate great food. This is my friend's restaurant, and I love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 251 reviews are from the Yiannis Taverna reviews archive.
- Awesome food and timeYegemjay8Dined on 5/2/2014Liked the food and the belly dancer who was so friendly to the little girl in our group and showed her how to dance :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experienceLeni1Dined on 5/1/2014We have been enjoying Yiannis for many years. Occasionally we have tried other Greek restaurants and then wondered why we did. We always come back to our favorite: Yianni's! The location on Whyte Ave. is perfect; you feel like you are in the heart of Edmonton. The decor is chic, yet warm and inviting. The food never disappoints. We enjoy the meal for 2, or for 4. The wine selection is terrific. The greek salad is a family favorite. If you like Mediterranean food this is the best place in town. Oh, and the cheesecake is soo good.
- My hubbies bdaySallyDined on 4/12/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening out at Yiannis's . Our server was fun, energetic and good. The food was good and nicely presented. The belly dancer was very entertaining. Drinks and wine were also good, dessert was tempting but we had no room to try any. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining Experience....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2014My wife and I are not new to this restaurant but we wanted to take our friends to experience the atmosphere, the Greek dishes and the general ambiance of a place we consider to be our hidden gem. A place we can relax after a stressful week and share a fine bottle of wine and have a home cooked meal with awesome service and never feel rushed. This place took care of all those needs and impressed our friends enough to say they would be back as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of GreeceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014We were in Crete last fall and this brought back great memories of the awesome food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With kidsbdayDined on 4/5/2014Would have like to see a kids menu! And the chairs are so light, every time you got up they would fall over,just with your coat hanging on it.Special Features:
- Fun ExperiencewkndincalgVIPDined on 3/29/2014Came here on a Saturday night, they have a 6pm and 8pm seating, due to belly dancing performances. The service was not bad, slow at times, but the food was good, and the belly dancer was really fun... Watch out, or she'll get you with that scarf, and you have to dance. ;-)Special Features:
- Thanks, again, for anotherLeni1Dined on 3/28/2014Thanks, again, for another wonderful evening at your restaurant. It is always fun! Great food, great service; no wonder you are our favorite!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Service.spike3563Dined on 3/7/2014Great service, very knowledgeable staff. Would recommend for the atmosphere for sure.Special Features:
- Yianni's does NOT disappointfood4thoughtDined on 3/7/2014Yianni's does NOT disappoint - Best Mousakka Ever! Keeps me coming back for more every time i'm visiting Edmonton and craving Greek. nomnomnomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favourite restaurant in Edmonton!DineInYEGDined on 2/22/2014Yianni's has been a favourite of ours for years and now with the new renovations it's even more enjoyable! The food is simply spectacular and authentic. I've never had a dish I didn't like! My favourite is the flaming cheese and the chicken souvlaki (which is not actually on the menu but they will make it for you). The service is fast and friendly. Make sure you go on a Friday or Saturday night to catch the belly dancers. We've hosted many special occasions there and it never fails to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ShowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2014The restaurant apparently was recently renovated, tastefully done. First time there for myself, my date had been there previously many times. Open Table booking was easy, painless. Waitress was very attentive to our needs, she commented it was a slow evening, for a Friday night. We enjoyed the wine samples, it made our wine choice very easy... The food was excellent, ample proportions, couldn't eat it all... the entree followed two appetizers, shared between the two of us. Belly dancing was an added surprise between 7:00 and 8:00. She was very good. All in all, a nice evening at a nice restaurant.Special Features:
- I would guess it has beenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2014I would guess it has been 10 years since I last dined at Yanni's. I was quite disappointed. My date ordered Slow Cooked Lamb to find it was very fatty. I can understand a bit of fat with lamb, but her's had way to much. My moussaka was ok. But quite salty. I had a hard time with the price also. $24 for that dish was overpriced. The waitress was not really happy to be there. I will have a hard time going back. Too bad.
- Good food but extremely noisyBritMarkDined on 2/14/2014Food was great, tasty, and the plates were a good size. However, I took my girlfriend there for Valentines Day and we were both put on edge from the moment we sat down by the extremely loud music (we had to shout to chat to each other). This was obviously for the benefit of the belly dancer that was moving around between the tables, occasionally smashing cymbal things together. This was intended to be a romantic meal, who wants to sit in a room with music as loud as a nightclub, with some woman banging metal disks together next to your head? It was awkward, weird and extremely intrusive. The food was good, don't get me wrong. But, I left with a headache and if I'm honest... feeling a little disappointed. I will not be going back.
- Wonderful valentines day!AllybDined on 2/14/2014My boyfriend and I went to Yiannis for Valentines Day dinner. We had a reservation and got our table very quick. The good was wonderful! It took a little while to get our food but it was super busy and it was Valentines day so the wait was expected. I would definitely recommend this restaurant! Very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Had a group of six with one child - very entertaining with belly dancers and the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningjlspDined on 2/14/2014My Husband and I went there for Valentine's Dinner. It was our first time and we were very pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere, service and food. Also loved the dancing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.