1099 Broad Street
Bloomfield, NJ 07003Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.yellowplumnj.com/
- Phone: 973-893-3681
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday-
Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: closed
Happy Hour: Monday - Thursday :4:00pm- 7:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Lukic
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Dennis Lukic 973-893-3681
A word from Yellow Plum
Contemporary New American Cuisine created by Chef Chris Lukic. Chris's Experience includes 6 years working with the Top Chefs in New York and 3 years with Wolfgang Puck in L.A. Casual Dining with Specialty hand-crafted cockails. Patio Dining and Full Bar Enhance the Culinary Experience. Join us for Happy Hour Monday Thru Thursday 4pm -7pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Yellow Plum reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (11)romantic (9)special occasion (7)great for outdoor dining (6)vibrant bar scene (6)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Fabulous, will be backMAS2013VIPDined on 8/12/2014Great food, ambiance and service, so happy to have right in my neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- Restaurant Week visittasteyDined on 8/8/2014Went for restaurant week and although we were disappointed with the choices, and the service was very slow, the food was delicious and cooked perfectly. 3 of us all had the salmon, which is not one of my favorite dishes but the best of the choices, (the others were grilled chicken, risotto & wild mushroom, or the hamburger, a $30 menu) and was well prepared and very good, as an app 2 of us had mac and cheese with short ribs, "the most delicious thing I ever ate" was my husband's comment, and a Caesar salad was fresh and had interesting ingredients such as sliced brussels sprouts, but was a little light on the dressing, and a chocolate pudding for desert was just right. I recommend them for a better than average meal. Great happy hour too!Special Features:
- Hire more help?dontcheapoutonusDined on 8/8/2014Our waitress was working so hard, v polite, but she really needed a busboy. We never had our water glasses refilled, and they were TINY to begin with. Also, we weren't offered a second glass of wine. Prices are v high here a la carte, so the service was v disappointing. Also, the prix fixe meant that corners were cut: the pot de creme we had in May was NOT the one we had Friday night! Very small, not special at all. However, best frites and bernaise ever!!Special Features:
- Local GemJimG2VIPDined on 7/28/2014Food and service very good; menu varied, but small with large selection of apps; Classic American;prices moderate to high;Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yellow PlummfromglenridgeDined on 7/11/2014Went on a friday night with another couple. We were a little nervous because it was empty in the main dining area at 8:00 pm. Outside patio and the bar areas were a little busier. The bar had a live band which were okay. We all started with salads which were good. The entree choices at our table were the Steak, Lobster, and Salmon. They were all very good. The wine/drink menu has a good variety. Our service was excellent. The food was solid and the ambience is very nice so I'm not sure why it was so empty...maybe a bit overpriced for the area. The prices are comparable to any Montclair eatery and the food is just as good. I hope people discover it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014Maybe a little to expensive for what it was. Very good food though.Special Features:
- ExcellentNJDiner4Dined on 6/14/2014Dinner for 4 on Sat June 14th. Great appetizers ...Soba noodles with chicken was a hit along with mac &cheese. Main courses strong all around..The eggplant cannelloni was fantastic and unexpected. Burgers and steak as well. Loved the minimal decor. Our only critique was that the host tried to seat us next to the open door . we requested to sit further back. He was accommodating but I was puzzled since we had a reservation and should have been offered the better table first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oldtimeroldtimerVIPDined on 6/14/2014The dinner menu was fairly limited, but my wife and I found entrees that we liked. The food was well prepared and nice portions, and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Willing to Give It a Second ChancefoodierVIPDined on 6/4/2014We went on a week night so it was not crowded. With that being said the service was slow. The waiter seemed more interested in the large group of women dining outside. No bread or amuse bouche was served beforehand. The caesar salad with arugula was a nice twist on an old standby. The salmon with lentils was delicious, but my friend asked for hers to be cooked well done, I asked for medium. Both of our salmons were very rare! We would have returned it, but the waiter was unavailable. He also brought the side of broccoli rabe at the end of our meal. Frustrated we decided to have dessert somewhere else. Given that the food was good, might try it again.
- Surprisingly goodLisaDined on 5/31/2014Came here with husband & best friends to celebrate birthday. Delicious appetizers/small plates. Wish the rabbit ravioli was available that night. Going to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice touchOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/23/2014They brought 3 of our 4 dinners and promised the fourth would be out shortly. After an apology and a few minutes, they brought me 2 crab sliders to keep me "occupied" until my main course arrived. What a nice touch. (We all know that bad timing can ruin a dinner. especially when one person at the table has not received their dinner; then no one wants to eat!) I have been to restaurants costing 2 or 3 times more where they didn't do those kind of things. I was very impressed with that. On the other hand: juice glasses for water? Really??
- Great SpotscotchnSodaDined on 5/23/2014Hidden in plain sight a restaurant with great pedigree of experience. Very good bar and accommodating kitchen. Would go again for lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't botherjerseydinerDined on 5/10/2014The first restaurant I have been to in years where I felt compelled to leave less than a 15 percent tip. The food was mediocre at any price, and certainly not worth what Yellow Plum charges--my son ordered a $38 filet mignon that arrived tough and overdone. Service was terrible- missed drink and food orders, interminable delays, etc. I went on the strength of multiple highly positive reviews on OpenTable but was grievously misled and will never pay attention to these again.
- Really good first visit...njeater987VIPDined on 5/3/2014Service was excellent - relaxed but knowledgeable and easy. I'm a picky eater and typically do not have many choices; I liked that they offered "silent" vegetarian options "up front". The pounded pork chop was great as were the fried brownies and arugula caesar -- diverse items, but excellent. We didn't find the prices any more elevated than neighboring Montclair - nowhere near offensive. We will be back!Special Features:
- The following 52 reviews are from the Yellow Plum reviews archive.
- Special occasionElizabethDined on 4/23/2014The wait staff and setting was wonderful for celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great surprisejerseyDined on 4/12/2014We found the Yellow Plum kind of by surprise and I have to say we were so incredibly glad we did. It's a 30 minute drive from where we live, but I can't wait to go back and bring friends with us. The interior is decorated in this kind of modern/retro/chic kind of way. The staff was perfect and the food was absolutely divine; some dishes had a subtle hint of flavor perfect for warm comfort food, while others were intense and robust. The portions are generous but you still wish you had one more bite because it just tasted THAT good. We already have plans to go back this week!Special Features:
- GaryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014Had never been to Yellow Plum until last Saturday. The menu is excellent - plenty of choices for everyone. The food is excellent, particularly the crab cake sliders (an appetizer that could be an entree for a light eater!). Red snapper was a great entree. Didn't try any desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, food wasMhigDined on 3/29/2014Nice atmosphere, food was great. My wife and I will definitly be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our dinner at Yellow PlumOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014Our dinner at Yellow Plum was delicious! We started off with a bourbon flight and a maca and cheese appetizer. The whole meal was great, but the best part was the homemade peanut butter ice cream. Definitely will return to yellow plum.Special Features:
- Hidden GemKira0483VIPDined on 3/15/2014My husband and I honestly don't know why this place isn't packed every night! The food, the service, and the atmosphere are all top notch, I've seen some comments about small portions - just not true! Dishes are all prepared with quality ingredients and generous portions! The oxtail ravioli and lobster bolognese never disappoint. My husband and I are definitely fans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth another visit or moreJano48VIPDined on 3/11/2014We went on a slow Tuesday night, sat at the bar and were served by Erica, a very sweet young lady. We were glad we read several on line reviews before we went since there were so many different menu options, and not all were provided at first. We opted for the $35 prix fix in order to sample several items. The short ribs are as good as described with Brussels sprouts and sweet potato purée. The chef provided all white meat, instead of mixed white and dark, for the other entree, also very tasty. The fried brownie dessert and ice cream sandwich desset were both very good. We will definitely return to try some of the other entrees, tapas, and the delicious looking burger.Special Features:
- One of the Best Meals I've Ever HadccrmichaelDined on 3/8/2014What an unexpected gem. My wife and I had an amazing meal. Quality food. Innovative menu. Just well done, all around. I had the Wild Boar Risotto. She enjoyed the Lobster Bolognese. We shared the Sweet Potato, Brussel Sprout, Bacon side (that may have been the most impressive!). The craft ale selection was strong, as well. All in all, a great experience and worth saving for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/8/2014Yellow Plum is a great find. Very nice decor, knowledgable wait staff and terrific food. Specials and menu items were prepared well and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014Fabulous flavors....and NOT oversalted (a rare find these days). I thought the ribs could have been ever so slightly moister and the fish could have been cooked a LITTLE less. Crab cake sliders spectacular! Staff was terrific. Great menu. Cocktails look exciting and unique. Will surely come backSpecial Features:
- What a great find!!DinieDined on 3/6/2014We had dinner at Yellow Plum after reading a terrific review in the Essex Magazine. We were not disappointed. They have several different menus, including small plates, regular dining and vegetarian. We started out with the shredded brussel sprout salad which was delicious. My partner had a wonderful pasta and I had a perfectly cooked steak sandwich. We will definitely go back. The owners have done a great job renovating the space....brand new rest rooms, and a beautiful bar scene. They will have outdoor dining, once we get rid of the cold and snow. I highly recommend Yellow Plum.Special Features:
- Our new favoriteTommySalamiDined on 3/3/2014The bar bites continue to amaze and serve as great accompaniment to the fantastic menu. The restaurant I'd been waiting for.Special Features:
- Very good eatsRobDDined on 3/1/2014Nice place, good food, easy parking front or rear. Love the wine, but especially enjoy the bourbon flight Appetizers: Oxtail Ravioli (8.5) Tender Oxtail, perfect ravioli, great balance with kale and pickled sauce BLT Slider (5), Nicely done Pork Belly on good mini brioche, but lacked flavor, not a memorable dish Mac n Cheese (5), Tantalizing but failed to execute. Lacks flavor. Entree: Lobster Bolognese (8), healthy portion of lobster meat and nice light flavor Short Rib (8), Cooked very well, melt in your mouth, fall off the fork. Nice Sweet Potato puree, but underwhelming Brussell SproutsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent wait staff and food,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/28/2014Excellent wait staff and food, but it is overpriced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinksTheDiningFanaticVIPDined on 2/22/2014The food at the Yellow Plum was superb. We have dined here several times and always had a great meal. Their brussels sprout salad is something I order every time we go its very good. We would definitely recommend this restaurant. Drinks are very good but a few sips and you are done. One area I think they need to work on in terms of giving their customers what they pay for. Overall experience was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal!ImnopoodleDined on 2/22/2014We had a very nice time at the Yellow Plum. They began by offering us a sampling of bourbons or wines. I declined, but my husband had the bourbons, and enjoyed them, although I think it was a bit strange for pre-dinner drinks. My dinner of crabcake over pork belly, and short ribs for dinner was well prepared. The ambiance and decor of the restaurant was my only complaint. It was very cold - wood floors, wood tables with no tablecloths, and wood cafeteria-style chairs. Chairs were not comfortable. I went to the ladies' room which was by the bar, and was afraid to touch anything. Perhaps there's a rest room in the restaurant side that's cleaner and more up to date, but the one I used was awful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood find!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014Went there for their Valentines special. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014I love this place, it's some of the best food around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite restaurantTommySalamiDined on 2/14/2014Yellow Plum does things right, for the right price- a true gastropub that elevates comfort food, with generous portions for a moderate price. A nice craft beer selection and an even better cocktail bar, live music on Fridays, bar bite bargains until 10pm on weekdays, from oxtail ravioli, chorizo meatballs, fried oysters, to standards like fried calamari and tasty ancho chile dusted fries and a fine bar burger, it is everything you want in a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Decent food, service needs workpickyeaterDined on 2/14/2014The food was nice, if not too terribly creative. The wine selection is excellent. The service was friendly and competent, but intrusive and resulted in our feeling rushed - not fatal but it was Valentine's Day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!Bonji27Dined on 2/8/2014Food was delicious, server was pleasant and knowledgeable. We had a great time! Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- needs improvementFoodie1Dined on 2/8/2014Potential is there as Chef has fine credentials. ...General quality of ingredients is good....but very uneven in the entrees we received. The special.entree...mussels ...was not so special. Service was good and the resto has nice ambience. But needs to
- Yellow yum!ZinfandelishVIPDined on 2/8/2014Although the space is nearly unchanged since it was Bar Cara (nice, relaxed space), the new owner/chef and his dad (out-of-retirement chef/restaurateur) have made outstanding food and wine choices. This was our second visit in the past 30 days... in total we've tried 4 different apps, 4 different entrees and 2 desserts... loved them all (some were menu items, some specials)! The on-menu items we enoyed were: (apps) shaved brussel sprouts/arugula salad and mac/cheese with short ribs, (entrees) lobster bolognese, short ribs and sea bass, (desserts) fried brownie!! Extra points for serving the cappucino piping hot! The right way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good bet for a fine mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/11/2014My husband and I had a meal here on a recent Friday night and thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. The interior design is contemporary and very comfortable. We shared the calamari appetizer which is always a litmus test for us at a new restaurant. In this case, the squid was very fresh and the coating was light and divine. We shared the short rib entree and lobster bolognese entree -both were spot on. For desert we shared a pot de creme - again a home run. My husband, who enjoys wines, was very pleased with the wine list. The extensive experience of the father and son team behind Yellow Plum is very apparent from the quality and creativeness of the menu through to the professional service. We will be back again soon. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Excellent new AmericanTommySalamiDined on 1/9/2014Decadent comfort food and American cuisine with a Southern zing, Yellow Plum amazed on all levels. From cocktails to dessert, they have an imaginative menu of familiar dishes done with their own flair. Blue cheese potato croquettes were rich, mashed potato sticks; BLT sliders with seared pork belly were fantastic. The entrees range from crispy duck breast to pastas, seafood, and a ribeye with broccoli rabe. The meals all come with sides, but you can also order ala carter. The short ribs macaroni and cheese was an excellent choice. For a relatively new restaurant they have everything mastered as if they've been there for decades. They also have a great chorizo burger, thick fries, and happy hour bar bites at prices that can't be beat.Special Features:
- Really good food, presentedInsurancemanVIPDined on 12/31/2013Really good food, presented beautifully. We spent New Years Eve at the restaurant. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys fine food.Special Features: