1481 York Avenue
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.yefsiestiatorio.com/
- Phone: (212) 535-0293
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Christos Christou / Owner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from YEFSI
YEFSI Estiatorio is a Taste of Greece in the Upper East Side. Greek dining is as social an experience as it is culinary. Mezedes are the centerpiece of Christos’ menu, influenced by his travels throughout the Greek Isles to gain inspiration. YEFSI features the traditional and contemporary Greek specialties, such as grilled whole fish, prime chops, meats and an eclectic selection of contemporary appetizers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
YEFSI reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (77)fit for foodies (52)great for outdoor dining (20)vibrant bar scene (19)good for groups (19)special occasion (17)hot spot (14)romantic (11)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Neighborhood gem with great fishsuttonplaceVIPDined on 11/23/2014This local Greek Restaurant served grilled fresh fish as good as Milo's at half the price and itis conveniently located at. 78th and York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yefsi worth the visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014The service and the food were both very good. Large menu selection of both appetizers and entrees. The manager, Nick, sent us dessert as a "thank you" Thank you to Nick & Yefsi, A neighborhood find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FishAndyVIPDined on 11/13/2014Fresh fish expertly prepared. Yefsi is a true neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/30/2014Always very good fresh tasting food. The whole grilled fish is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nebraska77VIPDined on 10/27/2014I love this restaurant. Unfortunately service, which is generally very good, left a lot to be desired. The food is exceptional good once the waiter got our order right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like this placeSIdinerVIPDined on 10/26/2014Lively spot, delicious, authentic fare as fresh fish served a la greque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously loud and crowdedRiddleyWalkerVIPDined on 10/25/2014The excellent rating of Yefsi got us in the door, but at 9pm on a Saturday night the earsplitting noise level and cheek by jowl seating made for one of the most unpleasant dining experiences of the year. A pity, because the service and food were both good. But, I dare you to hear your companions, or not feel that the bar scene is going to fall onto your table. We thought the back room might be quieter, but people are so crammed in that it feels like you're in a sardine can - which would actually be quieter and more comfortable.
- A new favoriteUnlimitedSangriaDined on 10/23/2014Yefsi was superb from beginning to end. A wonderful place to enjoy an intimate dinner with excellent service and delicious food.Special Features:
- quickeyDined on 10/22/2014Great food and always consistent. Great wines alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKBzaitaVIPDined on 10/22/2014We really enjoyed the appetizers of spanakopita and zucchini croquettes. We each has the whole fish: mine was overcooked and the other was just right. Overall I think its a good choice if in the neighborhood but would not consider it s destination.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014great food but often too loud, especially in the backSpecial Features:
- Very niceLarryDined on 10/18/2014We were seeded in their back glassed area which was quiet and bright. Service was attentive. Food was very good. No complaints. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't returnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Greek Salad was very good. Moussaka dry. Cramped and too noisy for conversation. It's a decent place for the neighborhood.
- LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!flowers22VIPDined on 10/16/2014This is one of the noisiest restaurants we have ever had the misfortune to find ourselves. If you don't mind shouting at your partner or having to lean over to hear, even when sitting next to other, you can find decent food. One customer from a loud table across the room came over to one near us to complain about their loudness. I would not treat a guest at my home this way; why can't guests at a restaurant be treated decently. The ambiance is definitely under control of the restaurant. Be wary of any noodle dishes. Al dente does not describe the cuisine here. Maybe Greeks like their noodles soft. The service was good and the busboys were amazingly observant. However, never again.
- Great Greek Food in UESAbrann123Dined on 10/11/2014This is my go to greek place in the UES. Food is always great - and fairly easy to get a reservation within a 24 hours!Special Features:
- Yummie on YorkBioteach20Dined on 10/8/2014Yefsi is consistently a fabulous restaurant. Since it opened, it has never wavered in delivering excellent food.Special Features:
- Still packing them inEaterVIPDined on 9/24/2014We miss Gregory, but the new manager, Nikkos, is a very nice guy. The place is always busy. That says something.
- YefsiLambchopVIPDined on 9/17/2014Once again the staff has proven to be rude and unaccomodating, especially the maître d'. The noise level makes any attempt at conversation impossible.
- This time it was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/17/2014We are locals and have eaten here many times. It's a schizophrenic situation. While the food (particularly the meze) is reliably good, the experience ranges from wonderful to atrocious. We have finally figured out that it depends who is managing that evening. One manager (no idea if owner as well) is polite and helpful and the other is rude to the point of pathologic. Have sworn several times not to return because of these encounters, which should NEVER occur in a hospitality situation, but because it is convenient and good, eventually return. Should keep manager #2 away from customers. Octopus is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok Greek Food!!PeterSVIPDined on 9/6/2014It was ok, but there are much better places for Greek food in the city. I just wanted to try it, I probably will not go back. I am a Greek/ American and I know what Greek food is suppose to taste like. This does not taste like the real Greek food.Special Features:
- Yummy but a bit noisy for us!PR618Dined on 9/6/2014The food and service were wonderful, but we had difficulty with the noise level. That's just us! There were many locals there and everyone looked happy. The backyard garden was not full but was reserved. There was also seating on the street, but it was too humid for that. The grilled octopus and the eggplant appetizer were delicious. Husband's veal and my lamb were really good. We would return, but not on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favorite333eastVIPDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant does not disappoint. Staff aims to please, and food is reliably good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBryantfanDined on 9/2/2014Wonderful healthy eating with fresh vegetables and fish for any palate.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood spotsuttonplaceVIPDined on 9/1/2014The food and service was very good. The Bronzino was very good. Unfortunately it was too noisey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmetgalVIPDined on 8/30/2014I originally heard about this place when it earned mention in the latest Michelin. The enthusiastic reviews by fellow Open Table diners put it at the top of the list for my New York visit. I love when it's challenging to order because EVERYTHING sounds marvelous. We were happy with our choices, particularly the tender flavorful lamb kebob and rice pilaf. With so many other intriguing options, I know we will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Over the NoiseronzoniDined on 8/28/2014Love the food at Yefsi, but the noise level is too high for this to be my go-to neighborhood dining place. Service was experienced and friendly. The grilled octopus is amazing! Try to get a table in the back patio to reduce the noise level.Special Features:
- Love YefsiFoodieKJDined on 8/26/2014I have been to Yefsi several times and it is always outstanding. The food is incredible, the service is attentive and welcoming, and the ambiance is lovely...especially the little garden in the back.Special Features:
- Mezze in YorkvilleMezzeinYorkvilleDined on 8/24/2014Delicious if somewhat expensive mezzes, very pleasant back porch/ garden - a special occasion kind of place No sense of being rushed outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent goodBac2Dined on 8/23/2014Authentic fresh food. Great service. Inviting atmosphere from start to finish!Special Features:
- Best Grilled octopus I ever had!mccas0078VIPDined on 8/19/2014came again a year later and its still the best octopus I have had ever anywhere.....and I live in PHL with LOADS of great restuarantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great?RightwriteVIPDined on 8/17/2014We'd heard a lot aboutYefsi; the recommendation of a restaurant owner in Bayside was practically rhapsodic. Great? Not so much. The octopodi was very good; everything else... OK.Special Features:
- Be Aware and Be CarefulSteveEVIPDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant seems to be participating in the new game in town which is to add items to checks and or additional tips to submitted credit card bills hoping they will pass unnoticed. I got suckered by an additional drink added to the bill that I did not catch. It's not the money it's that it's being done on purpose because it is so easily hidden when they are caught which my guess is not too often. My advice is stay far away and don't worry you won't be missing anything because the food wasn't very good either.
- Delicious apps!FoodieamyVIPDined on 8/13/2014YEFSI has the most delicious apps, especially the charred octopus - the best i have EVER had, special shrimp and scallops in a red sauce was also out of this world!Special Features:
- Friendly place with good Greek mealDishyVIPDined on 8/11/2014Here's an east side restaurant that welcomes you with a friendly hello and treats newcomers like a valued old friends. The food is authentic. Excellent grilled octopus appetizer, generous salads, well prepared fish dishes. Helpful wait staff and good wine.Special Features:
- Great foodgourmetfootballfanVIPDined on 8/5/2014Outstanding fresh well prepared food. The Greek salad and the swordfish are to die for. Not to mention the Baklava! Very noisy. Not exactly a restful place to dine. Come for the vibrant experience and healthy delicious food!Special Features:
- Greeks Bearing Gifts. . . of Food!BestFFDined on 8/3/2014YEFSI is a terrific restaurant on all counts. It's comfortable and lively; the service excellent; the food fresh, well prepared, and delicious. For starters, my husband and I split a plate of pan-fried calamari with a yummy garlic lemon yogurt dipping sauce in a portion too ample for us to finish. We both ordered Kotopoulo as our entrees, succulent roasted organic half-chickens, marinated in Greek herbs, and served in a tasty broth with chick peas, tomatoes and onion. A crisp sancerre made a perfect accompaniment. We asked the waiter to suggest a sweet to go with Greek coffee. He brought a vanilla custard with honey and raspberry coulis. His accent was charming, but I couldn't get the dessert's name; too bad, it was a perfect finish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific neighborhood fishHealthyEaterVIPDined on 8/3/2014Fish done to perfection,(though I've been here several times, I've never had the meat dishes).Sides could be more interesting and attractive.Desserts were delicious and creative. Service was attentive without being annoying. In sum, a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 400 reviews are from the YEFSI reviews archive.
- MediocreDavidf44VIPDined on 7/25/2014Their Piklia - multiple Greek spreads and warm fresh pita bread appetizer was extraordinary. But their whole fish (royal dorado / Tsipoura) was overcooked and tasteless. Hence disappointed
- Great Neighborhood SpotFoodJunkyNYCVIPDined on 7/23/2014The meal from start to finish was excellent. My parents, who had recently taken a trip to Greece, both agreed that it was extremely authentic. Can't miss the cod/shrimp fritters, greek salad and the black bass or whole branzini.Special Features:
- Great serviceCeAeDined on 7/21/2014The food was very good. The service was great.helped celebrate my wife's birthday, nothing overbearing,just exactly enough.Special Features: