1481 York Avenue
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.yefsiestiatorio.com/
- Phone: 2125350293
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Christos Christou / Owner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from YEFSI
YEFSI Estiatorio is a Taste of Greece in the Upper East Side. Greek dining is as social an experience as it is culinary. Mezedes are the centerpiece of Christos’ menu, influenced by his travels throughout the Greek Isles to gain inspiration. YEFSI features the traditional and contemporary Greek specialties, such as grilled whole fish, prime chops, meats and an eclectic selection of contemporary appetizers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
YEFSI reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (83)fit for foodies (57)great for outdoor dining (22)special occasion (19)vibrant bar scene (17)good for groups (15)romantic (14)notable wine list (12)hot spot (9)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Won't returnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Greek Salad was very good. Moussaka dry. Cramped and too noisy for conversation. It's a decent place for the neighborhood.
- Great Greek Food in UESAbrann123Dined on 10/11/2014This is my go to greek place in the UES. Food is always great - and fairly easy to get a reservation within a 24 hours!Special Features:
- Yummie on YorkBioteach20Dined on 10/8/2014Yefsi is consistently a fabulous restaurant. Since it opened, it has never wavered in delivering excellent food.Special Features:
- Still packing them inEaterVIPDined on 9/24/2014We miss Gregory, but the new manager, Nikkos, is a very nice guy. The place is always busy. That says something.
- YefsiLambchopDined on 9/17/2014Once again the staff has proven to be rude and unaccomodating, especially the maître d'. The noise level makes any attempt at conversation impossible.
- This time it was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/17/2014We are locals and have eaten here many times. It's a schizophrenic situation. While the food (particularly the meze) is reliably good, the experience ranges from wonderful to atrocious. We have finally figured out that it depends who is managing that evening. One manager (no idea if owner as well) is polite and helpful and the other is rude to the point of pathologic. Have sworn several times not to return because of these encounters, which should NEVER occur in a hospitality situation, but because it is convenient and good, eventually return. Should keep manager #2 away from customers. Octopus is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok Greek Food!!PeterSVIPDined on 9/6/2014It was ok, but there are much better places for Greek food in the city. I just wanted to try it, I probably will not go back. I am a Greek/ American and I know what Greek food is suppose to taste like. This does not taste like the real Greek food.Special Features:
- Yummy but a bit noisy for us!PR618Dined on 9/6/2014The food and service were wonderful, but we had difficulty with the noise level. That's just us! There were many locals there and everyone looked happy. The backyard garden was not full but was reserved. There was also seating on the street, but it was too humid for that. The grilled octopus and the eggplant appetizer were delicious. Husband's veal and my lamb were really good. We would return, but not on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favorite333eastVIPDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant does not disappoint. Staff aims to please, and food is reliably good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBryantfanDined on 9/2/2014Wonderful healthy eating with fresh vegetables and fish for any palate.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood spotsuttonplaceVIPDined on 9/1/2014The food and service was very good. The Bronzino was very good. Unfortunately it was too noisey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmetgalVIPDined on 8/30/2014I originally heard about this place when it earned mention in the latest Michelin. The enthusiastic reviews by fellow Open Table diners put it at the top of the list for my New York visit. I love when it's challenging to order because EVERYTHING sounds marvelous. We were happy with our choices, particularly the tender flavorful lamb kebob and rice pilaf. With so many other intriguing options, I know we will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Over the NoiseronzoniDined on 8/28/2014Love the food at Yefsi, but the noise level is too high for this to be my go-to neighborhood dining place. Service was experienced and friendly. The grilled octopus is amazing! Try to get a table in the back patio to reduce the noise level.Special Features:
- Love YefsiFoodieKJDined on 8/26/2014I have been to Yefsi several times and it is always outstanding. The food is incredible, the service is attentive and welcoming, and the ambiance is lovely...especially the little garden in the back.Special Features:
- Mezze in YorkvilleMezzeinYorkvilleDined on 8/24/2014Delicious if somewhat expensive mezzes, very pleasant back porch/ garden - a special occasion kind of place No sense of being rushed outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent goodBac2Dined on 8/23/2014Authentic fresh food. Great service. Inviting atmosphere from start to finish!Special Features:
- Best Grilled octopus I ever had!mccas0078VIPDined on 8/19/2014came again a year later and its still the best octopus I have had ever anywhere.....and I live in PHL with LOADS of great restuarantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great?RightwriteVIPDined on 8/17/2014We'd heard a lot aboutYefsi; the recommendation of a restaurant owner in Bayside was practically rhapsodic. Great? Not so much. The octopodi was very good; everything else... OK.Special Features:
- Be Aware and Be CarefulSteveEVIPDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant seems to be participating in the new game in town which is to add items to checks and or additional tips to submitted credit card bills hoping they will pass unnoticed. I got suckered by an additional drink added to the bill that I did not catch. It's not the money it's that it's being done on purpose because it is so easily hidden when they are caught which my guess is not too often. My advice is stay far away and don't worry you won't be missing anything because the food wasn't very good either.
- Delicious apps!FoodieamyVIPDined on 8/13/2014YEFSI has the most delicious apps, especially the charred octopus - the best i have EVER had, special shrimp and scallops in a red sauce was also out of this world!Special Features:
- Friendly place with good Greek mealDishyVIPDined on 8/11/2014Here's an east side restaurant that welcomes you with a friendly hello and treats newcomers like a valued old friends. The food is authentic. Excellent grilled octopus appetizer, generous salads, well prepared fish dishes. Helpful wait staff and good wine.Special Features:
- Great foodgourmetfootballfanVIPDined on 8/5/2014Outstanding fresh well prepared food. The Greek salad and the swordfish are to die for. Not to mention the Baklava! Very noisy. Not exactly a restful place to dine. Come for the vibrant experience and healthy delicious food!Special Features:
- Greeks Bearing Gifts. . . of Food!BestFFDined on 8/3/2014YEFSI is a terrific restaurant on all counts. It's comfortable and lively; the service excellent; the food fresh, well prepared, and delicious. For starters, my husband and I split a plate of pan-fried calamari with a yummy garlic lemon yogurt dipping sauce in a portion too ample for us to finish. We both ordered Kotopoulo as our entrees, succulent roasted organic half-chickens, marinated in Greek herbs, and served in a tasty broth with chick peas, tomatoes and onion. A crisp sancerre made a perfect accompaniment. We asked the waiter to suggest a sweet to go with Greek coffee. He brought a vanilla custard with honey and raspberry coulis. His accent was charming, but I couldn't get the dessert's name; too bad, it was a perfect finish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific neighborhood fishHealthyEaterVIPDined on 8/3/2014Fish done to perfection,(though I've been here several times, I've never had the meat dishes).Sides could be more interesting and attractive.Desserts were delicious and creative. Service was attentive without being annoying. In sum, a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreDavidf44VIPDined on 7/25/2014Their Piklia - multiple Greek spreads and warm fresh pita bread appetizer was extraordinary. But their whole fish (royal dorado / Tsipoura) was overcooked and tasteless. Hence disappointed
- Great Neighborhood SpotFoodJunkyNYCVIPDined on 7/23/2014The meal from start to finish was excellent. My parents, who had recently taken a trip to Greece, both agreed that it was extremely authentic. Can't miss the cod/shrimp fritters, greek salad and the black bass or whole branzini.Special Features:
- Great serviceCeAeDined on 7/21/2014The food was very good. The service was great.helped celebrate my wife's birthday, nothing overbearing,just exactly enough.Special Features:
- Great Greek!foodloverVIPDined on 7/19/2014Amazing authentic greek food!!!! great food and service, the food was delicious and on time, the server was very nice and courteousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Memorable ExperienceJeanDined on 7/17/2014I brought my daughter to NY for her birthday and we both love Greek food. The food was absolutely delicious. My daughter's roasted chicken was moist and had a mild seasoning that was perfect. My eggplant dish was so good as well. The dessert menu was wonderful as well. My daughter, the cook and foodie in my family, was impressed very much (wanting the secret for the roasted chicken), and was still talking about this restaurant all the way home on our flight to Dallas. I highly recommend this restaurant for a wonderful meal reasonably priced, with a professional wait staff. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nebraska77VIPDined on 7/13/2014The food is always great at Yefsi. The Octapodi salad is outstanding. The place is warm and welcoming and while it can be noisy it is well worth a visit. Best to make reservation as the restaurant has a following.Special Features:
- Just sayingmt9livesDined on 7/11/2014Food is amazing, Service very good One very important point, they should not take reservations after 9:30 as there kitchen closes at 10:30? We were still hungry at 10:40pm, they could not cook another dish or create another salad? Kind of rushed us outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedusuallylovesfishDined on 7/11/2014We had two fish dishes. Both were overcooked. The tomatoes in the horiatiki salad were not selected well -- not ripe yet mushy. We went because the chef claims to have worked at Milos in Montreal. He may have, but he or his sous chefs did not learn the fundamentals of produce selection or how to cook fish.Special Features:
- Fine food; unwelcoming hostessCityeaterVIPDined on 7/9/2014I arrived a few minutes before my reservation; my dining companion had not yet arrived. When I went to the hostess to let her know I was there she checked the reservation and said, "tell me when the other person is here and then I'll seat you." No smile nor: I'm sorry, we do 't seat parties until everyone's arrived; would you like to wait at the bar?. Just dismissed with no sense of being welcomed. When my companion arrived 5 minutes later and we returned to the hostess and I told her we were both here now, she asked me if we had a reservation - no recollection that she had spoken to me at all. Again, no smile. The food was very, very good and the rest of the staff was fine and helpful, but a terrible way to start.Special Features:
- DeliciousGalinaVIPDined on 7/6/2014Yes I is my go to place for delicious Greek food. Live the Loukaniko, the zucchini croquettes and the cod and shrimp appetizer. In fact, I just love going with a group and ordering lots of appetizers to share.Special Features:
- philDined on 7/2/2014A great find. The food was amazing and the service was quick. The restaurant was packed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but a bit noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/30/2014I went with a friend to catch up. We both enjoyed the food the it was a bit noisy. There is nothing there to absorb sound. I would definitely go back though because I enjoyed the food.Special Features:
- Greek GemquickeyDined on 6/30/2014Delicious food fresh and creative. I LOVED the tiger prawns- the grilled octopus- Limited wine menu but the Greek White wine that the waiter recommended was excellent and reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placemimi10019VIPDined on 6/29/2014I can't wait to come back. Our greek waiter, Dimitris, was amazing. Please ask for him! Yes, they were all actually great. This was some of the freshest food I have had. Amazing salads- Horiatiki- was ridiculous. So fresh. It's a must. EVeryone had one. The fish and OH, the octopus. The greek yogurt dessert was amazing. Overall really nice visit. Our server was wonderful and warm
- The chicken is awesome!Foodie2Dined on 6/28/2014We have dined at Yefsi twice. The service is great and the food is consistently delicious. We live in Michigan and visit our daughter on the UES very often. It definitely has become a favorite of ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YefsiSaggDined on 6/25/2014Food and service were outstanding. The host and hostess were not welcoming. They obviously have favored regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.