Ye Olde College Inn
3000 South Carrollton Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70118Neighborhood:
CreolePrice: $30 and under
Ye Olde College Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.collegeinn1933.com/
- Phone: (504) 866-3683
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Southern, Creole
- Executive Chef: Bradley McGehee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Catering: Please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Ye Olde College Inn has an upper deck space that looks over the entire restaurant. The dining area absorbs the ambiance of the restaurant. It is not walled off but nestled above the restaurant, yet removed enough to be your own. The space holds a maximum of 20 people.
- Private Party Contact: Bradley McGehee 5048663683x
- Entertainment: Next door and across our parking lot is the World Famous Rock’n'Bowl. The Rock'n'Bowl has live music Tuesday through Saturday. With a purchase from the entree section of the Ye Olde College Inn menu you may request a $5 off voucher towards admission.
A word from Ye Olde College Inn
Since 1933 Ye Olde College Inn has served generations of New Orleanians. Come join us at a true New Orleans farm to table landmark. Our menu features our latest Creole specials and plenty of twists on traditional New Orleans standards. We have a farm located adjacent to the restaurant where we get a variety of fresh produce. Next door is another New Orleans landmark, the Rock’n'Bowl. Ask for a $5 off voucher when you dine from the entree section of our menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerCreole
Ye Olde College Inn - Best Restaurants in Carrollton ›
Ye Olde College Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (58)fit for foodies (42)good for groups (36)vibrant bar scene (28)special occasion (25)hot spot (21)kid-friendly (17)romantic (10)late-night find (5)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Updated new Orleans ClassicsBentheadsVIPDined on 11/25/2014We generally take our visiting friends here on the first night because it is so genuinely New Orleans in its every fiber and offers all the great New Orleans standards updated to have a little more foodie sophistication. Lively and friendly atmosphere in a beautifully renovated space. The service is always bustling and friendly and the proprietors are always in the mix, meeting, greeting and making it work like a well oiled machine. Very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family gatheringOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014we met for a family dinner after my daughter's A Cappella concert at Tulane and a Pelican's game. Had a great time with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully prepared!! Fabulously fresh!!solodiningVIPDined on 11/14/2014What a great dining experience!! Thoroughly enjoyed the Oysters Bleu appetizer...the best oysters I have had in years. The fresh fish special of the night was perfectly done; it's so rare to have fish that is just right, fresh, flavorful, well seasoned and NOT overcooked as can be the case so often. Service was attentive but not overbearing. Everyone there was enjoying the evening!! Will put Ye Olde College Inn on my regular dining list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- garden to tablewillyareDined on 11/13/2014driving past, i've assumed that the urban garden next door was tended by schoolchildren; a recent walk past proved me wrong. the garden belongs to the college inn, and i was surprised to find that they were growing their own produce! the old college inn pre-katrina had slipped to kind of ho-hum; in light of the garden and respect for the new management, i was eager to give them another try. i was not disappointed. even in november, the garden was evident on the table: a side dish of sauteed spinach was perfect; brussels sprouts that came with short ribs were a tasty treat. appetizer special of fried eggplant with crabmeat and tasso was brilliant. another entree of lamb shank was first-rate. original dessert of fried bread pudding brings this old standby to a new level- almost like a beignet. service was eager and knew the menu, offering good suggestions. ambience was much better than the old: the new orleans murals are a visual pleasure. the bar seemed lively, the sazerac was excellent. i will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECT!TeamBuilderDined on 11/13/2014This was the perfect place for our team dinner prior to going over and bowling at rock n bowl. Thanks for the great experience! Will definately be backSpecial Features:
- TrishDined on 11/8/2014The oysters bleu is a must have. Large enough to share between 2-4 people as appetizer at a great light entree! My favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something great for everyoneMamieDined on 10/24/2014We love College Inn for our special family get-togethers - they have such a perfect variety for all of the different tastebuds in our family: heart healthy for my Mom, seafood for me, spicy cajun for my daughter, meat lover for my brother and kids menu for the little ones - everyone is happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotEllenok2VIPDined on 10/21/2014Ye Olde College Inn is a gem. Creative, eclectic menu, thoughtful service, delicious food. Sticky toffee pudding for dessert! Great neighborhood spot, an easy hop from Tulane, with off-street parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food all around the tablebillfishbillDined on 10/18/2014I chose this restaurant for a recent dinner with friends and we were all quite surprised to find one of the best menus ever experienced in NO. The food was well presented, moderately priced and absolutely delicious. Our waiter, Jimmy was absolute adorable. He was pleasant, happy, and very experienced. I recommend the chicken with orzo pasta, shrimp and grits, panne veal, and porkchop, as these were the dishes we chose and all sampled. However, nothing can compare to the fried bread pudding we enjoyed for dessert. This extremely large portion was moist inside and crunchy on the outside, perfectly created in the old New Orleans way, no overtly sweet or filled with unnecessary fillings. Absolutely divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Rate FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The greens for salad were the tastiest I've had in years. You can tell they grow them on the premises. Complex flavors in the raw vegetables alone, and the accompaniments did not overwhelm the natural flavor. Lamb shank and mustard reduction are wonderful. Chocolate cake was devoured by the females at the table. My only complaint was the ambience was far too sporty for me. There was a TV as my view. If my father had not been with us, I'd have moved. When I'm looking for a place to please everyone, with TV and casualness for older family, and fabulous farm to table food for me and my husband, I will go back. around a giant TV while eating.Special Features:
- Anniversary visitAnnidinnerDined on 10/18/2014We loved the idea of Farm to table restaurant for our Anniversary. The atmosphere wasn't exactly right for the occasion it was definitely more casual but had a good feel there with games to play while you wait. The food was good not great but recommend the shrimp and fried green tomato romaluade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CeleVIPDined on 10/15/2014AH-MAZING!!! Food is always great here. High end Louisiana Comfort food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- change is sometimes good!senoritaVIPDined on 10/14/2014wow, i didn't recognize the place after its renovation but the onion rings were outstanding and the servings were very copious and once i got used to the new decor, i liked it - it will remain a family favorite though how it has changed over the yearsSpecial Features:
- Pleasant DiningMarbeDined on 10/3/2014Good food and good service; a very pleasant ding experience for our large group.Special Features:
- barracudaDined on 9/27/2014It was a good experience in a city with a lot of good restaurants, however, there wasn't anything special that stayed with us to make us say that we "really need to come back here."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CAVEAT EMPTORTherunningmanDined on 9/26/2014We booked on OpenTable & were confirmed by the restaurant. We arrived 10 minutes early to a packed restaurant & were told that our table was being prepared. 30 minutes later we were still waiting. Appears that people show up without reservations are placed ahead of those with reservations. We finally get to a table & it was another 10 to 15 minutes before a waiter appeared. The appetizers (Gumbo without rice???) appeared in minutes of us ordering and then we sat there for forty minutes without seeing our waiter. When he did appeared with the entrees he served a dish that we did not order, saying that they ran out of what was ordered. We declined the switch. Too many good restaurants in NOLA to waste our time trying that again.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/23/2014Everything was delicious. Fish was very fresh. mojitos were made with fresh local ingredients. Mac and cheese was outstanding.Special Features:
- Server Josh had a cute butt;)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Food was outstanding, service was great. Loved the peanut butter pie dessert. Onions are famous and amazing. Josh had a cute butt and a great mustache;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!MenuMasterDined on 9/9/2014I have been to College Inn frequently since the reopening after Katrina. The Staff, ambience, food selection and consistency of presentation and temperature of the food items cannot be beat! The menu allows one to choose items from casual to fancy, one being more delicious than the next. The prices are fair; Waitress was well versed in the specials and was able to answer all questions about the tastes of the foods (ie. Spicy, sweet, etc). Overall, a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- Amazing find in new OrleansRockyDined on 9/3/2014The entire experience is one to be enjoyed. Casual elegant. Some of the best food ever I had in the final is five star restaurants. All the vegetables were so fresh direct from their garden right next door. chickens with their own eggs out back. And a mus have is the oyster appetizer .. Perfectly cooked with a sprinkle of blue cheese on lettuce. Best onion rings ever, lightly battered and cooked to perfection. All of our entries were over the top. And u don't break the bank to rate here. Not cheap but definitely moderately priced considering the qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful timeDinoDined on 8/29/2014Calling to make a reservation was hassle free, follow up call to reminde of the reservation was a good idea. When we arrived the tale was ready, our server Jimmie was professional and very pleasant. The food was rich and tasteful. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local restaurantAgaionDined on 8/27/2014Ye Olde College Inn has been around a very long time - and the quality of the food and scope of selection has never been better. The bar area is great with a Tulane and other local sports orientated theme. Attractive murals on the walls of the restaurant depict scenes from New Orleans circa the 1930's. Service is prompt, casual and friendly. If this restaurant were in Tampa or Birmingham or Memphis or any number of other cities, I would have given the food a strong 4 stars. However, given the standards of New Orleans and its local competitions, I decided to go with 3 on this rating - although 4 could certainly be justified.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Foodie4lifeDined on 8/21/2014Simply the best! Food was fresh and amazing! The server was speedy an excellent! The oyster blue was a flavor explosion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFinedinersVIPDined on 8/12/2014Every time we have eaten at college Inn it has been great. They have a garden where they grow their own fresh ingredients. I had the lamb shank and it was fabulous. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Wow!RedbeardVIPDined on 8/9/2014I was not expecting the experience I had here! I started with the BBQ Shrimp, and I was impressed. The shrimp were cooked well, the bread was great, and the sauce would make a shoe taste good. It was creamy and Worcestershirey and delicious. I ordered a mint julip and although it wasn't served in the traditional julip cup it was a damn fine drink. It wasn't too sweet or watered down, you could actually tast the bourbon. I could've been satisfied at this point and recommended the restaurant but I ordered the special, the stuffed soft shell crab. It is one of the best things I have ever eaten. The shrimp and grits was the best version I have ever had. I absolutely loved my meal and will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great every timenicknameVIPDined on 8/1/2014College Inn has become very consistent. The food is always good. Great bar, salads with lots of fresh vegetables, and specials that are always good. Foie gras is excellent appetizer. Veal was also very good as was the lamb. We really enjoyed the fig dessert. This is a small place that gets crowded so make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 247 reviews are from the Ye Olde College Inn reviews archive.
- Great food, great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014We love going to this fun restaurant because it is casual yet delicious dining. The staff is friendly but very capable, the bar is fun and the food is wonderful. will be back soon!!
- Great Local GemVespagirlDined on 7/22/2014You cant go wrong here the food and service is GREATSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerFoodieDined on 7/19/2014The food was okay, and felt overpriced for the portion. My husband had a 28.00 rib entree that tasted like roast which consisted mainly of mashed potatoes and veggies. Another member of our party had shrimp and grits that came in a small cereal size bowl. This is a place you need to know what to order. The atmosphere is fun, though.Special Features:
- Able to help immediately!RayADined on 7/11/2014We had a dinner meeting scheduled but had forgotten to make a reservation somewhere. The day before the event I was able to get a table for 10 without any problems, and they have a great loft room available to accommodate. Very happy with the way it all went. Thanks for great service on short notice!Special Features:
- NLBPDined on 7/11/2014Food was very good. Fresh ingredients. However hectic atmosphereSpecial Features:
- AWESOME!KarohlynnDined on 7/5/2014This place is adorable and has GREAT food! Definitely recommend the foie gras!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!FrenchieDined on 7/5/2014I remember the Ye Olde College Inn of a while back, gumbo, sandwiches, a casual eatery open for lunch. What a difference a few years and a new owner makes. I couldn't believe when we walked in the door how pretty it is, the food was amazing! I had lamb shank with gravy and roasted gouda grits, my husband the braised short ribs. Everything was fresh, with a simple presentation. We will be back and fyi, make reservations so you don't wait!Special Features:
- I'm a regularMissKitty53VIPDined on 7/3/20144th generation regular - what more can i say - the specials are always creative and yummy!Special Features:
- Late evening mealCinziaVIPDined on 6/27/2014We arrived late in the evening and were served very quickly and efficiently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of improvements!RayADined on 6/27/2014I've always liked College Inn, even in its prior incarnation in the old building. There's a charm that it has that a lot of other places try to achieve, but fall short. Maybe its the family-restaurant vibe, maybe its that you either see someone there you know, or maybe its that everyone there is so nice. It is one of the few places where I've found it possible (and permissible) to chat with the table next door and leave having made new friends. Who knows. Anyway, the food has continually progressed since they've opened the new restaurant post-K, and our most recent was as good as any we could remember. My wife and I split the Oyster-Bacon-Havarti and Fried Green Tomato and Shrimp Remoulade poboys and had a few drinks. It was great.Special Features:
- Unique dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2014What a great menu with a neighborhood feel! The menu is eclectic and the food is of a high quality. The vegetables from the neighborhood garden add to the quality of the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Placelocalnoladiners2Dined on 6/20/2014We just love Ye Olde College Inn! Truly a very nice dining experience. Our server was terrific and the food was outstanding! I am a former restaurant manager for local casual fine dining restaurants and a party planner and I could not find a single thing to complain about. We had an out of town guest that is a food scientist and he loved it! Truly a favorite place of ours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodKrae47Dined on 6/20/2014It's always tasty and fun. Great place to take out of town guests for a real New Orleans experienceSpecial Features:
- TOUROSTDined on 6/19/2014We loved it,as it is next door to ROCK n BOWL .We ate great seafood, plus children's menu .Then went to ZYDECO night With the children. Cloth tablecloth, cloth napkins. Good quality drinks. Attentive service. A waiter,who was professional And personable,without being a programmed "robot".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.