Ashford Avenue- Astor Condo 1018 1-C
Condado, PR 00907Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (787) 724-3636
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Mediterranean, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Xiomara Marquez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Yantar
Awesome place right in the Condado Tourist Area adjacent to the beautiful Condado Lagoon, has a very nice dining area but also a large bar next to windows that offer great views of the lagoon and the city at night. We offer a variety of tapas at the bar. It is a great place to go with friends to have a drink and also have a wonderful dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Yantar - Best Restaurants in San Juan ›
Yantar reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (22)scenic view (21)romantic (19)fit for foodies (16)notable wine list (15)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (9)good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (7)late-night find (2)Show More
- Inventive tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/15/2014The pear martini and house version of the mojito were good starters. We never made it to the main courses, but the tapas we tried were very good, especially the big, meaty ceviche with sea bass and the hot mango soup. The grilled shrimp in filo with curry were also unusual and flavorful. The vegetable tempera was plentiful, although the batter was a bit soggy. The tiny amuse bouche and desserts were a nice touch. We ended with the "chocolate earth" dessert--dark chocolate crumbs over a kind of creme anglaise with passion fruit ice cream--delicious! Sit by the windows: the view of the lagoon is wonderful, even if you have to balance on high stools. We were there early in the evening and found the service extremely attentive and helpful. The maitre de told us that "Yantar" translated into something like "eat well, drink well," which Yantar makes easy to do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experience!PascalDined on 11/8/2014Very accomodating waiters, they even turned the A/C off at our request in order to get the atmosphere warmer!Special Features:
- Tapas with a viewDragonlady64Dined on 10/23/2014Great drinks, great though expensive wine list, fabulous view and a vast variety of different and delicious tapas. We weren't in the mood for a regular dinner with apps and entree so just had lots of tapas. Enjoyed all except the ham croquettes which were mostly potato with little taste of ham. Chairs and tables by the window are high bar chairs- not comfortable and hard to move once you are seated so getting your legs under the table is hard but the food more than made up for this small quibble. Really enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- warm and invitingjagfoodDined on 10/21/2014The staff was knowledgable and friendly and the food outstanding. Great tuna Tartare and risottoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMARZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014This restaurant has the wow factor all over it. Great food, great atmosphere great service. Ask for the flaming bourbon is a nice show off...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemJAAFVIPDined on 10/16/2014Yantar is like the very best kept secret place in el Condado. Excellent Food and ServiceSpecial Features:
- Superb!AmazingDined on 9/26/2014We love our Experience at Yantar. You have to tried the Guacamole, its exquisite! also the "chuleton de cordero" was amazing. Chef Xiomara Marquéz always brings unique flavor to her dishes. Everything on the menu is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded our expectationChocodocDined on 9/13/2014We heard it was good but our experience was amazing. We came here because the wait at another place was long. Slightly underdressed and with an infant in tow. They accommodated us in a perfect spot and always attentive. An amuse bouche to start and then appetizers that were unbelievable especially the foie (although very tiny). The warm mango gazpacho was out of this world. The langoustines and the duck were cooked to perfection as well as the rissotto. The homemade chocolate icecream is the most decadent delicious thing I've had. Highly recommend for special occasions! Will come back very soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sobre la cenaLolaDined on 9/12/2014El pulpo como aperitivo fue excelente!! La seleccion del vino Arzuaga por el precio tambien!! Lo que realmente fue un desastre fue la opcion del chuleton de ternera. Lo pedí termino medio y lo tajeron bien cocido lo devolvi y entonces lo trajeron "medium rare" y salado luego cuando llegò la cuenta de $45 por el chuleton el descontento fue mayor por que solo me pude comer la mitad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewLunchmeetingguruVIPDined on 9/9/2014Good place. Friendly staff Smaller portion dishes but tasty food. Service was relaxed and very consistent with that which I experienced in PR.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Condadolove2travel2gtherVIPDined on 9/3/2014My husband and I absolutely loved our experience at Yantar. We were greeted very warmly, taken to a table with an excellent view and the food and the service were top notch. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- San Juan's Best Kept Secret!JamesHBDined on 8/29/2014Marmalade might have the title as best restaurant in San Juan, but they can't hold it for long with these guys on the scene, unless of course the locals want to keep it a secret.Special Features:
- Great Tapas and great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014We really enjoyed our visit to Yantar. We thought the food and service was excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing!CoffemacDined on 7/26/2014What a wonderful experience was to dine at Yantar. The view of the lagoon and the cruise ships at the dock is amazing. Wine list is very notable ranging from 30-200+ per bottle. Food was perfect with big dishes and bold flavors. The service impeccable not to much attention but always available if you need something, just raise your view from the table and you will find someone waiting to cater your need. Great also for tapas. Yantar has Valet parking but this is extra charge, I think it should be included when a two person dinner with a decent bottle of wine can easily go for over $100. There is a private parking adjacent from Yantar and the price is about the same of the Valet. Will definitively recommend.Special Features:
- The following 58 reviews are from the Yantar reviews archive.
- Hidden Jewel !pop77Dined on 7/19/2014We loved everything from this restaurant, great wine list, not overpriced. Food is awesome. Go for the tasting menu, portions are very generous. Will defenetly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceCarmenDined on 7/18/2014I found this place while walking towards another restaurant. The ambience is incomparable. The view... the decor...and the service are outstanding. The food is very different from the local restaurants. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Obviously a high-end placeurmeisterDined on 7/3/2014Food was prepared excellently, but in my opinion was over-priced. Service was extraordinarily attentive, but English was a bit broken such that there some things I couldn't understand when I asked. View of the bay was beautiful, though from our table we also had a view of the driveway/alley below. I would DEFINITELY recommend to a friend, but just warn in advance that it's pricey. And, really, on vacation, if one meal ends up costing $75 more (and that was for all 3 if us combined), it's not a big deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb view of Condado LagoonMhbeVIPDined on 6/6/2014Great View,romantic ambiance, beautiful bar and cocktail area, excellent tasting menu and many tapas selection. Great for either a superb meal or cocktails with tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2014The lamb dish was incredible. Loved the modern decor. Staff was friendly and attentive. Chef came out to greet . The cilantrillo drink was delicious and very creative.Special Features:
- Slow the night we were thereOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/29/2014Food was overall good. My husband did not feel his steakl was fresh.Special Features:
- What a surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/26/2014I had read only about this restuarant and it was otherwirse hard to see form the street but once inside the restaurant, one is transported inot another world. The Chef has trained in Spain and the octopus I had as an appetizer which is on the tapas menu was out of this world! The rest of the food was delicious! Service was impeccable! Loved it!Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceBostongirlVIPDined on 4/15/2014This was our first time here. We went on a Tuesday night and although the restaurant was nearly full, it was not the vibrant scene we were anticipating. We started with some tapas items that were very good and then proceeded to entrees which were also very good. They had a nice wine list and drink menu. We did not order dessert but were brought some complimentary dessert items, which we did not care for. Wait staff was very nice and attentive. The view was indeed beautiful if you could overlook the small parking area and dumpster right outside the windows. Overall, it was a pleasant dining experience and we would definitely go back if in the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodEmdoctorDined on 4/5/2014The food and service were pretty good. The cocktails were OK. My biggest gripe is the seating. Yantar has a beautiful view of the lagoon, but the dining room is in the back, so only tables for two and bar goers get to enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and very welcomingTeriDined on 4/5/2014We had a fabulous meal at Yantar. They were very welcoming to us and our 10 year old. My rack of Lamb was outstanding. My husband had the duck which was beautifully presented and tender.Special Features:
- Excellent all around!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/29/2014Beautiful setting with a wall of windows overlooking the bay. The servers was very attentive. The wine list was extensive and very impressive. There are three menu options: tapas, a tasting menu and a la carte. We were presented with an aperitif to begin our meal, shared a delicious tuna starter and enjoyed just excellent entrees of halibut and salmon. We were presented with a small tray of sweets which were enough that we opted not to have dessert. We were even offered a complimentary after dinner drink. This restaurant is up there with the best we have enjoyed anywhere in the US. Yantar is a fabulous fine dining experience in San Juan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quedamos sorprendidos!BiverVIPDined on 3/27/2014Mi esposa y yo visitamos el lugar buscado nuevas alternativas en San Juan y quedamos sorprendidos. El capitan nos dio un trato excelente y los platos sugeridos tales como el pulpo a la gallega y el rodaballo estubieron exelentes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missed.Murphy100904VIPDined on 3/25/2014If you are planning a trip to San Juan and want a really nice restaurant to go to, this is the place for you. I would return to this restaurant for multiple reasons: the food, the service, the entire staff and the view of the bay. The tapas were incredible and I can't say enough about our waiter Hector and the entire staff. Another plus: if you are staying in the Condado area of San Juan, you can easily walk to this restaurant. It is centrally located to all the major hotels. Don't let this restaurant be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointmentChristinaDined on 3/22/2014I put a lot of research into where to eat during my winter vacation to Puerto Rico. Staying in Luquillo, which is a far drive from the San Juan area, we decided to go with a cuisine we wanted (tapas) and a highly acclaimed spot: tapas and Yantar; there you have it. The space is beautiful and that cannot be argued. After we were seated, we were asked what we would like to drink but given no menus for 10 minutes. After we ordered, we were given bread dishes and olive oil. 30 mins later, still no bread. I asked and it was brought promptly. Service was poor because the waiter was hardly there. Lovely man but never at our table. Food? What a DISAPPOINTMENT. Overly fried, not traditional tapas selections, blah flavor.Special Features:
- Try the tasting MenuMarcRDined on 3/21/2014A fun, and inventive menu complimented by very good service and a beautiful room. The tasting included about a half dozen bites followed by three more substantial plates. Of all the dishes, the Halibut was by far the best, extremely light and flaky without a hint of fishiness. The venison steak (final meal course) was good but not a wow kinda dish to end on. Afterward the owner asked about the food and i told him i wasn't thrilled with the venison and he gladly told me he would substitute it for lobster or something else in the future. Views were beautiful and the bar was very energetic. Room is a bit loud but not overly.Special Features:
- Amazing restaurant by the lagoonJuneSVIPDined on 3/14/2014We dined at Yantar for the second time in March 2014. The food as well as drinks were just as good as the first time we dined at the restaurant. The restaurant has been opened for less than 1 year. But, Yantar already gained popularity among locals as well as the tourists. We are both from Manhattan and we've dined at some of the best restaurants and we are not easy to please. However, we were truly happy with everything that we ordered. The service was very attentive and friendly. We are back in Puerto Rico and we made another reservation to back for the third time and we cannot wait to go back. This is definitely the restaurant not to be missed. Be sure to request a table by the window to enjoy the view of lagoon.Special Features:
- First and Last Time at YantarsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/13/2014We saw that Tripadvisor had rated Yantar second best in San Juan and was on the Open Table list so we thought we couldn't pass it up. Although the staff was cordial and attentive, the food was not up to our standards. Yantar was advertised as having one of the best bars and bartenders, but the margaritas we had were the worst we have ever had -- too sweet and weak. After ordering our meal, we waited almost a half an hour for our first course appetizer which was a very small portion of tasteless watery scallop ceviche dish. We realized that this must be popular with locals as large parties arrived and the noise level went up. We were not impressed with our fish entree which was also of small portion and not very tasty. An expensive evening!
- Overrated,Overhyped and OverpricedTheAdmiralVIPDined on 3/13/2014Yantar is accessible through the side entrance. Adjacent to the side entrance is what appears to be a tenement building with many creatures lurking on the widow sills. My kids counted 8 cats on the outside window sills amongst other creatures. We continued inside because of its online positive reviews. The mood was cool with neon lights and a cool jazz vibe. Our table was directly overlooking the lagoon. Its a nice view , but nothing incredible . Then we ordered our food. The appetizers weren't served together. My son's appetizer arrived 10 minutes after my wife's and my appetizer. Our main course again came sporadically. My NY steak with peppers arrived first. Fattiest piece of meat I was ever served. Overhyped and Over everything.
- Loved it!RobertVIPDined on 3/8/2014Great service, great bar staff, great food. The octopus appetizer was terrific - try it even if you're a little afraid - tender and wonderful. Both had Risotto dishes, one with salmon, one with shell fish - both terrific. Deserves the ratings it's getting on line.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceDrjsilvaDined on 3/7/2014Great food, great panoramic view to the condado lagoon, definitely coming back again, highly recommend the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!BreedaDined on 3/7/2014Very good food (I tried the Dover Sole, he had a variety of very good tapas plates), very attentive service, and beautiful view overlooking the water. We're delighted we tried it.Special Features:
- Birthday to Remember!BougieBellyDined on 3/6/2014This place was fantastic! It is a newer restaurant on the island and it was phenomenal. The service was outstanding and the food was presented well and delicious. They made my birthday dinner wonderful and provided a special accommodations for my surprise gift presentation! The VIEW is outstanding! Definitely worth trying out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurant. AllJuanVIPDined on 3/4/2014Great new restaurant. All little dishes are awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smoke & Mirrors but no flavors!NYfoodeeVIPDined on 2/28/2014Lovely location, great wine selection, very hip ambiance, but aside from the food presentation which includes fire, ice, smoke and many other special effects, when it comes down to it the one thing chef Xiomara Marquez's food lacks - is flavor. The chef's tasting menu includes about 7 un-customizable and highly forgettable courses, with many more misses than hits. One more theatrical than the next, but once the smoke and dust clear, there's just not much substance there. The crispy crab-cakes were light and crunchy, but the gazpacho with "olive dust" quickly becomes an oily juice, the gorgeous-looking rice desert had the consistency and flavor of soft polenta, and my husband burned his lips on the excessively fire-heated brandy glass.
- Pleasant surpriseJchaitVIPDined on 2/27/2014Everything about this restaurant is delightful! The staff was super accommodating. The view in the restaurant is breathtaking. Most if all the food was super delicious. We go to San Juan often and we were looking for a new restaurant. I am so happy we found Yantar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- V. good overall --- with oneRichardDined on 2/22/2014V. good overall --- with one exception. The air conditioning was on so high, resorting in a temperature seemingly just above freezing. Even members of the staff were complaining. Spoiled an otherwise pleasant evening. However the hostess and our waiter were exceptionally nice, and v. helpful. R.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.