Yamato Sushi and Teppan Yaki Restaurant
El San Juan Hotel
San Juan, PR 00979Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Yamato Sushi and Teppan Yaki Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.yamatopr.com/
- Phone: 7877918152
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: 3 private party room available. from 10 to 30 persons.
- Private Party Contact: David Li 7877918152
A word from Yamato Sushi and Teppan Yaki Restaurant
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Yamato Sushi and Teppan Yaki Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Sushi....not a fan1sttimersDined on 9/26/2014Overpriced sushi.....probably the worst I have had in years and $19/special roll....nothing special about it. Hibachi was fine but still very expensive. Much better restaurants in the area.
- The following 36 reviews are from the Yamato Sushi and Teppan Yaki Restaurant reviews archive.
- Best Hibachi I Ever Had!AnChoVIPDined on 5/17/2014I'm a foodie... and this is the best hibachi I ever had! It wasn't too salty like it normally is... the chef was AMAZING and so entertaining. He was truly a talent and the best I've seen yet. The onion soup was delicious, and the best was definitely the shrimp and the FILET. Melt in your mouth delicious. The fried rice was also spot on. Thank you so much for a wonderful experience! Our entire party was so impressed and you also made our bachelorette feel very special by letting her go around and cook with you!Special Features:
- SushimeranrVIPDined on 4/6/2014I ordered sushi and was not impressed. The rolls tasted good but there was nothing special to them and size was a bit small compared to other places. The teppanyaki looked nice and people were having fun. I would go back to try teppanyaki but not for sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedVacationbuddyDined on 3/6/2014I was staying at the hotel and heard that this restaurant was AMAZING!!! They lied, the food was not horrible but the service was not there saw my wait staff twice thru the dinner. One was to take the order and the second was to drop off the bill..... Drinks empty the whole dinner.Special Features:
- Dining with ExcellencefinedinefanDined on 1/1/2014It was truly an excellent dining experience. The chef was entertaining and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentYuppVIPDined on 12/18/2013Service was pretty good. The two rolls we ordered were good but took almost an hour to get the food. Got a beer on the house b/c of it.. That was cool!!!
- EhFoodskinDined on 12/15/2013The food and service is GOOD and Yamato but that is really it. When you first walk in it seems like it is a lively, trendy place but it is drab. So for over priced sushi and hibachi I would like the ambience to match it. The 3 other restaurants in this hotel at least match the decor with the price of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/29/2013This was our second visit to this restaurant at the El San Juan. We were disappointed with our experience. We had a sour puss of a waitress, who was neither welcoming nor helpful. Obvious burn out here. Dodd was passable, but certainly not noteworthy. No real good flavor and skimpy on the vegetables. We will not try it for a third time.
- Do not go.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2013I rarely write reviews online, let alone negative ones. However, the experience we had at Yamato in Puerto Rico was absolutely terrible. The ambiance of the restaurant was nice. Nothing over the top, but pleasant. The menu was very limited, with none of the creative "fusion" types of dishes that we are accustomed to in NYC. To make a long story short, food was lousy, portions were small, and the price was expensive. Stay away!
- OUR EXPERIENCEroydinnerDined on 9/3/2013We liked the place, a friendly atmosphere, a different experience and with excellent food. The shrimp tempura appetizer is exquisite. The Filet Mignon with lobster was delicious. Seven of six diners enjoyed this dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sushi, the best in PRJaybeeDined on 8/3/2013The scene is very elegant when you walk in. The service is very friendly. We prefer a table if alone, it's more romantic. The tepanyaki is fun for groups or with kids. We recommend it highly. The prices are a bit high but the sushi is very fresh and the best we have ever had, and we travel all over the world. You must go and experience it. My wife and I used to come here as boyfriend and girlfriend almost 20 years ago. It is our favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiFoodieDined on 7/12/2013Went here late dinner enjoyed the sushi it was very fresh which is hard to find in sushi restaurants. The only comment i would make is that communication with some servers is really difficult to understand them and they you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service at YamatoRickSDined on 3/29/2013The food and service at Yamato is always outstanding. It was the best quality meal we had in our week in Puerto Rico.Special Features:
- Food was just ok..have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/24/2013Food was just ok..have been to many sushi style restaurants in nyc at the same price point with much better results..needs overhaul
- Good Sushi in Isla Verde Puerto Ricsrk49VIPDined on 3/17/2013Walked to the El San Juan Hotel from the Ritz Carlton. Only ate sushi. Not teppanyaki. Service was good. Restaurant was empty. Appetizers were good. Everyone had a good time.Special Features:
- This restaurant offers themoneybagsVIPDined on 2/16/2013This restaurant offers the typical hibachi fare but with a puerto rican twist. The veggies are not the usual veggies. Service was slow. Menu items were drastically overpriced, especially cocktails. Some of them were over $15. The food was nothing special. If you're looking for something cool to do I would suggest coming here but, otherwise, probably not worth the time or money.
- Great dinner spot on new year'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/31/2012Great dinner spot on new year's eve. the free access to the lobby party was definitely worth it.Special Features:
- Ate here for New Years EvebagladiatorDined on 12/31/2012Ate here for New Years Eve with my family. There was a set menu with sushi appetizer, soup, salad, steak, lobster, and dessert for $100 each. The food was good but I did not know that steak and lobster meant hibachi style with it all cut up, especially since we were not sitting at hibachi table. The banana ice cream dessert was fantastic. Overall a good meal but hardly worth $100 ( plus drinks).Special Features:
- Decent, but overpriced withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/30/2012Decent, but overpriced with horrible service. Came for lunch at 2:30. There was 1 waitress covering the entire restaurant: 10 tables across 4 rooms. As you can imagine, this resulted in horrible service due to the simple fact she had too many people spread across too many rooms. We never got a menu, ended up ordering some sushi directly by walking up to the sushi counter, had to walk to the bar to get her attention and order a drink, etc. And then we were overcharged. The waitress was trying very hard, and was happy to fix the mistake when it was brought to her attention. The poor service wasn't completely her fault...Whether due to planned staffing levels or a call out by a co-worker, she was not set up well.
- Awful service. All bills includeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/29/2012Awful service. All bills include tip, so you can see why the service is terrible. They don't care at all. Food was mediocre and overpriced.
- The sushi was decent, freshTiny0216VIPDined on 8/20/2012The sushi was decent, fresh but a little bland. VERY overpriced. The service was okay, but the waitress didn't speak or understand English well.
- Yamato was good, again...AmazingplaceDined on 4/25/2012This was my 4th trip to Yamato. Great rolls, nice saki list, well priced for the location. Hibachi was entertaining but not the best I ever saw, food was good, shrimp especially were very good. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- The restaurant was very crowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/12/2012The restaurant was very crowded and they stuck us between 2 very large and noisy parties, We placed our order, with sushi as a appetizer. They served the soup and salad, then informed us they only had one sushi chef and he was behind, do we want our dinner first then they will bring the sushi, we told them to bring the sushi first, she said 10 minutes. It was almost an hour later that we told the waitress to forget the sushi and just bring the rest of our meal, 15 minutes later it all came at once, sushi and two dinners, the steak was overdone and chewy and we returned it, sharing one dinner and just wanting to get out. The managers excuse was it was busy.
- This place did not need aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/8/2012This place did not need a Reservation as described in some websites and OpenTable. It is completely empty. They seat right away.Special Features:
- I do not like that the considerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/3/2012I do not like that the consider it "Japanese Tradition" to put the tip on the bill regardless of the party size.Special Features:
- Disappointedsrk49VIPDined on 3/2/2012Don't do the Teppan Yaki so can't comment on that but the quality of the sushi pieces are good. Its the parts of fish they use in rolls that are low quality and very obvious. Usually eat there everytime we visit Puerto Rico but won't go back. Big disappointment
- The service want great butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012The service want great but of course that any where in Puerto Rico. To much money for how little food you receiveSpecial Features:
- The sushi was not very good.MichelesbVIPDined on 7/19/2011The sushi was not very good. It wasn't bad but it wasn't better than sushi you could get at a grocery store. Our tempura combo appetizer was very good though. Our service was good with the exception that when I asked if they had a full bar, I was told no. They did have a full bar and I guess the server didn't understand me. The restaurant itself is very cool but not worth the price for the quality of the sushi that is served.
- This was our first visit torheasueVIPDined on 3/22/2011This was our first visit to Yamato and we look forward to dining there many times. Both the food and service were wonderful!Special Features:
- Disappointedsrk49VIPDined on 3/18/2011Disappointed in the quality of the sushi this time. We have been here so many times we couldn't believe we had to send some of the sushi back for lack of quality.
- Sooooo rushed-quite expensive-OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2011Sooooo rushed-quite expensive- sat at a regular table, not Teppan Yaki and i think we were served apps then salad then sushi then dinner in like 45 minutes-it was ridiculous- and the place was empty.Should allow more time for patrons to digest and enjoy the experience especially with the inflated prices.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our dinner at Yamato,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/21/2011We enjoyed our dinner at Yamato, located at El San Juan Hotel in Isle Verde. The food was prepared Habachi style and our chef was talented and personable. The food was very good and service was friendly and prompt. All in all a great place to take the family or a group for a fun evening. No complaints here.Special Features:
- Food was ok, average, butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/14/2011Food was ok, average, but for price I was expecting something more. I recomend this rest for special ocacions, like anniversary. But u can find same food for cheaper price.Special Features:
- Had a delicious sushi dinnerCarlyVIPDined on 12/17/2010Had a delicious sushi dinner here while on vacation in PR. We sat in the in the dining room, away from the hibachi tables, so there weren't a lot of kids around us, which was great. Sushi was delicious, and there are lots of rolls to choose from. Although the rolls are expensive, if you choose some of their signature rolls it is worth the money. Don't go for the stuff you can order at home (salmon rolls, tuna rolls, etc.). We had the Puerto Rican Roll, Picante Roll, Volcano Roll & the Harry Potter Roll, and they were all delicious. The Harry Potter roll was my favorite, dipped in a light batter and then fried, the roll was warm and melted in my mouth. If I ever go back to PR, Yamato will be one my list of places to dine at.Special Features:
- Great food. Plenty of choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/9/2010Great food. Plenty of choices for both sushi fans and non sushi fans...I highly recommend this spot!Special Features:
- Very good Teppan food. YouPrbayVIPDined on 11/27/2010Very good Teppan food. You can eat at large table with others or have it at a private table.Special Features:
- Excellent hibachi dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/25/2010Excellent hibachi dining! Highly recommend the filet and shrimp combo. The filet was outstanding. The fried rice was great-not too overly greasy. Our chef was delightful, with many fun and entertaining tricks up his chef's hat. The ginger dressing and miso soup are great as well.