1161 Post Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.yamasho-sf.com/
- Phone: (415) 346-2222
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our comfortable Banquet room loft is perfect for parties of up to 50 guests. This large private room overlooks the restaurant, sushi bar and also has it"s own restrooms. The room includes two large HD flat screens, and an audio system that can be utilized for karaoke, or for video or computer connected presentations.
- Private Party Contact: YamaSho 4153462222
- Entertainment: YamaSho’s ten Karaoke Lounges are equipped with state of the art karaoke equipment, including large high Definition flat screens, dual microphones, individual climate control, sound-proofing, and offer a selection of over 120,000 songs in Chinese, English, Japanese, Korean and Spanish available at the touch of a button.
A word from YamaSho
In the heart of San Francisco is a true authentic Japanese experience. In a city where so many Japanese restaurants offer the usual sushi and tempura standards, YamaSho brings you a true experience of not just authentic Japanese cuisine, but also Japanese culture. From a Japanese restaurateur who really likes to sing, YamaSho makes you feel like you are guests in the cozy home of a talented native chef.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
YamaSho reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (8)special occasion (6)fit for foodies (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)neighborhood gem (2)Show More
- Really poor service.SFdinerVIPDined on 11/13/2014Came here with a group of about 10 coworkers. Had a reservation on OpenTable but apparently because I was not able to pick up their phone call a few hours earlier, they assumed I was not coming and did not have a table ready. So we had to wait for them to get a table for 10 together upon arrival. After ordering, it took a good 50 minutes for all food to arrive. That is one thing, BUT there was a 30 minute difference from the time that the first person's food arrived until the last dish. Most restaurants will attempt to prepare dishes for the entire table before bringing everyone's food. There was zero attempt to do that in this situation. That created a very awkward situation where literally 8 of the 10 people had finished the food before the last person's food came. Finally, everyone but one person's dish arrived and that person ate alone while everyone else waited (we had to rush because we had another appointment after). They showed no concern even when we asked about the remaining dishes. Really really poor experience here.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/27/2014The food was not good. We will not return. We will recommend against visiting
- Was dissapointed this timeElenaVIPDined on 9/10/2014I live next door from the restaurant. Food and service were always good, but the sushi chef is very slow. Last time we had to wait for about 40 mins to get a simple roll. They need to do something about this
- Fun, Festive and great FoodAbbeVIPDined on 9/6/2014Go, it was a surprise to find such a nice spot in this area of town. Loved it.Special Features:
- Good dining and great karaokeTh3R1chardDined on 8/30/2014YamaSho is definitely the best place to karaoke in San Francisco, but they are also an excellent place to eat some delicious Japanese food! Their menu is comprehensive and includes many options that help making ordering for groups easier (sushi packages, pitchers of beer, etc.). Note that making and OpenTable reservation for YamaSho is strictly for their dining area, so if you wanna karaoke you should call in to reserve a room (rooms go fast!). The service at YamaSho is excellent and I always feel completely taken care of from before I arrive until I leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so Japanese food/experienceTableForTwoDined on 8/24/2014These days it's hard to find a really good Japanese restaurant. YamaSho is okay for the food, but the service and ambience is lacking. You have to constantly track down a wait staff to make inquiries. Food isn't always served timely such as appetizers served first with time to enjoy them and then your main entree. They tended to be served on top of each other. The look of the restaurant is okay with the wood walls and benches, but it feels like a barn with wood tables placed in the middle of it.Special Features:
- The following 89 reviews are from the YamaSho reviews archive.
- Birthday CelebrationCathrynneDined on 5/24/2014I made a reservation through Open Table for a group of friends for dinner to celebrate a birthday. The food was delicious and came out in a timely manner. (It's one of the few places I've found takoyaki - let alone good takoyaki.) We let slip that it was our friend's birthday. Around dessert time, one of the employees came out with a slice of cake and a candle. After my group sang happy birthday, the employee said that she would now sing for my friend. We were all completely blown away! Her voice was beyond amazing! So, great food at a decent price not to mention the option to get a karaoke room and fantastic service. I'd definitely recommend.Special Features:
- YamaShoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Great location. Parking very very close. Greta food fair price. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Terrible, slow serviceShrehaDined on 3/21/2014I went with a large party for a friend's birthday and we were seated in the upstairs dining room. The food was great but the service was ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE! It took us 1 hour to get our drinks (we had to approach multiple servers and even go down to the kitchen to ask them to AT LEAST give us water because we were parched) and 2 hours to start getting our appetizers and then our food. It was absolutely ridiculous. I have never had this terrible service in my life. I would never, ever, EVER go here again.
- Great service and tasty sushifirsttimerDined on 3/8/2014The combo of being seated promptly, good sushi, delicious drinks and awesome service made this a great night for our group of 7.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant!!!!!MauriceP25Dined on 3/1/2014Wonderful, kind & spirited host. They gave excellent service and I would recommend to all my friends and family. The hostess sang me happy birthday and I loved it she almost made me cry because it was the best happy birthday I'd ever heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday nightchopstickchickDined on 2/22/2014Our reservation was for 5:30 on Saturday night. We arrived a few minutes early and were seated promptly by the hostess. Our waitress came to take our drink order within 2 minutes of us sitting down. As the restaurant began to fill up, we were worried that service would start lacking, but we never felt unattended. The service was great, the food was great, and we had a great time. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese food with creative flair!JohnfromSFDined on 1/31/2014YamaSho is a gem. On its premises is a stand-alone restaurant and Karaoke rooms. The cuisine is exquisite -- creative, well prepared, and utterly delicious. The service and serving staff are among the best in San Francisco: friendly and courteous, knowledgeable about the dishes, and clearly there to be of help. The drink menu includes an overflowing, inexpensive wooden container of one of two kinds of saki not to be missed. Our recommendations include: for appetizers, the black cod, grilled squid, and takosu (octopus); for small plate dishes, the grilled mackerel; and the sushi is extraordinarily fresh and well-prepared. But our favorite dish is a shiso "cracker" that is to die for.Special Features:
- Great group experienceKC99Dined on 1/5/2014I went with a group of 19, and we were able to get the upstairs private room, typically used for karaoke, although we were only dining. It was great to have our own space, food was good, although service was a little slow and everybody's food came out at different times so that we weren't really eating together. They did apologize for the slow service as they were really busy that night, which we appreciated. Good sushi rolls, great variety of items on the menu, and lots of choices of sake! Overall, a really good experience, and was exactly the type of spot we were looking to celebrate the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SadtallnerdDined on 12/31/2013That's the best way to describe the overall experience. My friends roll came with wasabi in it as well as my very basic rolls. I thought I had smudged some onto mine but opened mine up and saw it was in it. Our servers were running around like mad as if the place was full when there were only about 15 of us in there. Made it a bit distracting. My friend got a different roll but I ate 2 pieces and didn't want to be "that customer" so ate it all with no enjoyment. I'm just not a fan of it and least expect it in a roll unless stated in the menu. Inside, the decor is great, warm environment, and very friendly staff.
- This is my second time goingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013This is my second time going here for Karaoke. It has become my go-to Karaoke spot because they have a great selection of music and the customer service is excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow serviceMitchDined on 12/13/2013I went there with a group of 8 on a Friday night and the service was very impersonal and slow. It's as if they were understaffed that evening, perhaps that's the reason. The food was OK.Special Features:
- Fun with a few drawbacksSussoDined on 11/23/2013Yamasho was a great time. A group of 9 came out to celebrate my bday. We ate and sang for three hours, and probably would have stayed longer if we could have afforded it. The food was decent-- not the best sushi, but we came for the music and were glad it was so convenient to get dinner. We ordered a lot of food, and didn't get three orders, which were still on the bill. Thank god we noticed, because it was pretty pricey-- about $50 per person. Still, had a great time-- would probably go back and have dinner elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Karaoke roomsranmaDined on 11/22/2013Went there in a group of 4 for an evening of Karaoke and we were not disappointed. Also love the Izakaya-style food you could order even from inside the Karaoke rooms. I'll most definitively go again the next time in the Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but service was lackingmicu5Dined on 11/18/2013Dining at YamaSho was a rather bizarre experience. They weren't very busy, and there seemed to be plenty of servers in proportion to the number of customers, but the service was terrible. The only times we ever talked to a server were when we stopped them on their way past our table. We had to ask to order dinner, ask for water (twice), ask for utensils, ask to order dessert, and ask for our check. Nobody ever stopped to ask us how our food was or if we needed anything. Not once. And they were so disorganized; it seemed like none of them knew what to do. I'm not even sure which person was our actual server. The food was pretty good, but don't come to YamaSho if you're starving or in a hurry.
- Fantastic Big Party!LlebuttercupDined on 11/2/2013Yamasho was a great place to have our group party! Very accommodating for group of 12, food was fantastic, and service was friendly. Overall, good value, lively place to have your special celebration or get together for an entertaining night with friends.Special Features:
- Karaoke HeavenLoriWVIPDined on 10/26/2013We booked the New York room for my daughters 21st birthday. We were greeted warmly & signed in and quickly shown to our room. The staff was fantastic and food and beverage service to the room was a phone call away. It was a great night out!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best birthday accommodationRachelDined on 10/19/2013I made my reservation for 18 people just two days in advance, not only was the restaurant very accommodating in that they made plenty of room for such a large party but they were timely and accurate with orders. Also, as it was a birthday dinner, a female server whom I regret not getting the name of brought out a free dessert and sang happy birthday beautifully and enthusiastically. The experience was great in every way, and the birthday song made it the most special birthday experience I have ever had at a restaurant as an adult. Because of the exceptional service I will absolutely recommend this restaurant, especially for birthdays. The food, and selection, was also very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make sure to leave a tipedgarVIPDined on 10/18/2013My friends and I were here to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday - after being able to book at massive karaoke room for only 10 of us, and $500 later, the lady at the front area could not help but remind us how the bill did not include tip THREE TIMES. Needless to say, customer service at this place is the worse but they will make sure to remind you to tip.Special Features:
- Second time and still charmed!Drooling4GormetDined on 10/12/2013We went there for Birthday Karaoke fun! I may be hoarse from all the singing, but I have no regrets. The food is a bit pricy but good. I’ve enjoyed this for another b-day venue too. GO and have a blast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but mediocre serviceJessicaDined on 10/6/2013The food was good however the service was mediocre.Special Features:
- Fresh food, horrible serviceNelleVIPDined on 10/3/2013The food was so fresh and authentic tasting but the service was horrible. The servers skipped over us about 3 times until I went to the hostess stand to place my order. There was a birthday party and another table that seemed to be VIP so the servers were focusing all of their attention on those two tables. We were the only other table in there. It was disappointing to have such poor service the food was so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Because it was a special eventHiTeaVIPDined on 9/12/2013Because it was a special event night, the food service was very slow. The food- rolls are very small and we thought those were so tiny. Price is reasonable but we do not mind paying more for more food....too bad.
- Star qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2013Friends and I rented a karaoke room here for four hours! We had so much fun we made a date on our calendar to come again soon. The service in our room when we ordered food and drinks was fast and very friendly. I highly recommend letting you're inner star come have a little mic time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great private room karaoke spotburgernbeerluvrDined on 8/3/2013This review is just for their private karaoke rooms, as they have general restaurant seating as well. YamaSho is a great place for getting a group of friends together to sing karaoke. The service is great and there's a phone in your karaoke room to call whenever you need assistance (such as turning up the AC) or to place a food order. Wonderful place to sing karaoke AND dine as you can order from their full menu and have your meal brouht right into the room as you are singing. The food experience was mediocre (we ordered different sushi rolls), but the karaoke experience was great as they provided an ipad which allowed us to easily search for the song/artist we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome karaokeJasonDined on 6/9/2013This is ge second time i gave brought my family here and both times we had so much fun. The staff was very hospitable and friendly. We love it. Even my picky teens had a great time hanging out with Dad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was in town for a conferenceniccidDined on 5/21/2013I was in town for a conference and our last night a group of us went to Yamasho for dinner and karaoke. We had a blast. It was our best night the whole trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Sushi For the PriceBGOODined on 5/18/2013YamaSho is tasty for the cost. And if you sing, the karaoke rooms are a lot of fun.
- Great dinner & karaoke spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2013Excellent food, although the sushi selection is a bit limited (not that many rolls, no seasonal specials -- we were hoping to get some toro but they didn't have any). Most of the rolls unfortunately have some kind of cooked or fried element to it, but there are still a few good ones that avoid it. The shiro maguro (albacore tuna) sashimi was heavenly, and the shiso cracker with spicy tuna is one of my fav japanese appetizers in the whole city. The cooked food is really good too. Excellent chicken karaage, and they have this noodle dish with pork and bonito flakes which is outstanding (didn't order it on this trip). The karaoke experience at YamaSho is top notch! Best song selection in SF, and quick delivery of beer and sake! :-)Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner KaraokeDrDanDined on 4/27/2013spent quite a bit of money here, rented a karaoke room, but it seemed very disorganized and just about the money. Thank goodness for my wonderful friends who helped make the night a memorable one. Otherwise, I might've been bitter for having rented the room in the first place.
- Sashimi was particularly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2013Sashimi was particularly good in quality and flavor. Rolls are better than average and service was excellent. Very lively place so the noise level is high.Special Features:
- This was the only place myOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2013This was the only place my group of ornery friends agreed to meet for karaoke. We had a really good time. I personally do not like sushi / sake and did not have the food. But my group did and they were complimentary. We're not foodies though. I recommend this place. The staff was really nice.Special Features:
- YamaSho sushi is superbJessDubyaDined on 3/16/2013Great service and great food for a price. Also a nice karaoke spot with plenty of rooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise off of Van NessOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/26/2013We had no idea about this place until we got there. After a darn good meal, the hostess (Kiyomi) gave us a tour of the Karaoke rooms down stairs. She gave us a free 1/2 hour try since it was a Tuesday evening. She even sang us a song. She had a fantastic voice by the way! Great experience. The food was solid Japanese fare, sushi was good and an overall great place to spend a few hours.Special Features:
- Nice reastaurant. It was ahungryDined on 2/16/2013Nice reastaurant. It was a surprise, nothing outside but very beautiful inside. Help was top notch, food was terrific 6 blocks from city hall so not bad for the Opera, Ballet, Hurbst theater etc. 50 feet off Van Ness so easy to get to. I will be back.Special Features: