1999 North Sycamore Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90068Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.yamashirohollywood.com/
- Phone: 3234665125x
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room Hours:
Sunday- Thursday 5:30pm-9:30pm
5pm until close
Full Lounge Menu:
Sunday- Thursday 5:00pm 9:30pm
Friday and Saturday 5:00pm 10:30pm
Sunday- Thursday until 10:30pm
Friday and Saturday until 11:30pm
2014 Yamashiro Farmers Market:
May 22nd to September 4th
Thursdays, 5pm until 9pm
Weather permitting May to September
Thursday, Friday, Saturday 5pm until 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Brock Kleweno
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contact Sales & Marketing at ext. 222 or email JohnB@YamashiroHollywood.com for more information regarding private events, weddings, or filmings.
- Entertainment: YAMASHIRO FARMERS MARKET: Outdoor Farmers Market every THURSDAY NIGHT, MAY 22nd through SEPTEMBER 4th from 5PM to 9PM. Come enjoy our landmark location while shopping for the best local and organic produce. Stay and have a drink at our outdoor Pagoda Bar, while listening to live music. And don't miss Chef Brock's cuisine from the Farmers Market Grill. See website for more details.
- Special Events: YAMASHIRO Farmers Market, every Thursday night (5 to 9pm) from May 22nd through September 4th. Sample chef Brock's newest culinary creations and several fantastic wines, all while enjoying our breathtaking view!
Dine & Ride Hollywood Bowl Shuttle. Skip stack parking and join YAMASHIRO instead! www.dineandride.com for reservations. Dinner and shuttle reservations must be made through Dine & Ride.
Looking for a hideaway in Hollywood during the Summer? Come to the Pagoda Bar at YAMASHIRO. Every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from April through September enjoy cocktails and light fare al fresco next to the oldest structure in California--the Yamashiro Pagoda. The Pagoda Bar is the best kept secret in town. Start the night off with a sunset cocktail overlooking Los Angeles from atop the Hollywood Hills!
- Cross Street: Franklin Avenue
- Public Transit: Metro Red Line to Hollywood & Highland. Walk west down Hollywood Blvd turn right on Orange and cross at the light on Franklin. Once you cross at the light go left and turn right at sycamore going up the hill. It is a very steep hill so walking in dress shoes or in the dark are not recommended. We suggest calling a cab at the bottom of the hill.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is $8.00 per vehicle.
A word from Yamashiro
Perhaps the most romantic venue in Southern California, Yamashiro’s unique ambiance of historic tranquility and unparalleled views offer guests a place of serenity high above Los Angeles. Executive chef Brock Kleweno leads a dynamic culinary team in creating Asian-inspired Californian fare. From favorites including American wagyu and truffle hamachi to our newest menu items, such as pistachio salmon, guests experience Hollywood in all of its splendor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Yamashiro - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Yamashiro reviews from OpenTable diners
423 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (377)special occasion (302)romantic (291)neighborhood gem (99)fit for foodies (98)good for groups (96)hot spot (79)great for outdoor dining (55)late-night find (50)vibrant bar scene (31)notable wine list (18)great for lunch (17)kid-friendly (16)great for brunch (13)Show More
- Good AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014This is a good place to go when there is a special event. The garden outside was very pretty. The food was good and the ambiance was very nice. Will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Our first time here, loved the food, the services. We will definitely be going back again.Special Features:
- Himalayan Salt Plate with Red WineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I make an reservation online with a request of the view and my needs we're met! Great Hostess at the front desk on 9/13/14. I waited a short 10 minutes in the bar and had a few cocktails before my table was ready. My waiter who looked like Bruno Mars was very attentive and took the time on a busy night to recommend and describe the meals we ordered with the wines to match! I forgot his name but I tipped him well!!!! The desert was off the hook! Thank you see you very soon, Michelle and BrianSpecial Features:
- DissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014They were extremely busy, slow in service, and the environment was very loud. The front reception seemed overwhelmed to the point where they didn't appear to be warm and welcoming. At the end of the evening we were told twice by someone other than our server, “who disappeared once the check was paid”, that they were closing and we had to move along. At this point we felt very rushed. I would not recommend this establishment to anyone close to me, nor will I probably return.
- So romantic!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Great place for a very special occasion celebration. Asked for view seating through Open Table for my partner's birthday and they accommodated the request, as well as brought the obligatory dessert with a candle for his birthday, without me having to ask the server. Fantastic service, delicious, varied menu, and unbelievable city views! The Moscow Mule in the authentic copper mug was a favorite!Special Features:
- Great food amazing viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Overlooks all of LA from the ocean to the city 180 degree unobstructed views. Book in the evening to get there for the great sunset and leave as the city lights dominate the view. Or choose the courtyard with Japanese garden theme... A bit pricey but top notch food with nice sized portions...split the dessert as they are huge and rich. I recommend the strawberry filled dessert doughnuts with cream dip- Amazing...Overall decor could use an refresher but the courtyard is quaint and authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJonMDined on 9/13/2014We took a friend with us to celebrate her birthday, so we were hoping for a flawless experience. First mistake, the hostess tried to seat us outside where it was 90 degrees and muggy. We were startled and asked why we couldn't sit inside since there were A LOT of empty tables. She tried giving us some excuses but finally seated us inside. Our food came out at different times. My steak came out more than 5 minutes after everyone else's food arrived. The icing on the cake though was the server delivered the birthday cake we had ordered when part of our party wasn't at the table. They were so bummed they missed the cake presentation. Why couldn't the server just wait? Didn't make any sense to me. Not sure we'll be going back any time soon.Special Features:
- Once a grand old RestaurantSpankyVIPDined on 9/12/2014We have been coming to Yamashiro for decades. This may have been our last time though. It used to be great food in a beautiful setting. The view is still great! This once wonderful old Japanese restaurant is now just a generic food emporium. The menu now has Southwest American food, Mexican food, as well as Japanese food, in our opinion....none of it was done well. So disappointing for a place that we had enjoyed for so long.
- Lovely TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014Thank you so much for a wonderful dining. It was our 21st wedding anniversary and I am so pleased that we were able to spend it at Yamashiro. The food was amazing. The view is stunning. I can't wait to come back on any occasion.Special Features:
- CampbellDined on 9/9/2014Our waiter was excellent! He was from the country of Georgia, with a great knowledge! Mother & sister were visiting from another state and the food was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 100 years of classic perfectionColonelDined on 9/8/2014This Hollywood landmark has been sitting on top of the hill for 100 years, and it still remains one of the finest places to dine, one of the best views in all of Los Angeles, and exquisite food, perfect for large groups or for intimate setting. I ate there about 10 years ago and loved it, and just returned with my wife for our second wedding anniversary. It was even better than I remembered, we had a remarkable night time view of the city, and the service was top-notch. We will definitely return for another romantic occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, but disappointing food4evajDined on 9/7/2014The view from Yamashiro is amazing. Definitely worth a visit to checkout where the 'Memoir of a geisha', however, the food was very disappointing. The NZ lamb shoulder and the lobster were badly over-cooked. The cod fish was a bit tasteless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mango HeatLuv2xploreDined on 9/6/2014The Mango Heat cocktail is a delicious surprise. There's a spicy kick that makes you want to have more. The Lobster Risotto was yummy rich and enough for two people to share especially if you have an appetizer. You'll have enough room for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Event ScheduleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Make sure you check with the restaurant to see if there are any private events scheduled before you go in, both indoor and outdoor gardens were closed for a private event.Special Features:
- Very niceMine247Dined on 9/6/2014Good food, great location and friendly staff. Aside from the drunk group sitting next to us, it was a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kellybellyDined on 9/4/2014Yamashiro is one of my top 3 favorite restaurants! I highly recommend it for special occasions. The ambiance and view are fantastic in the evening - can't beat it! And the garden dining room is also beautiful, along with the pagoda bar and garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dateMekagotenDined on 9/3/2014Great view. Great food. Great ambiance. The makings of a great date spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentslimfoodieDined on 9/3/2014This place is amazing. The view is spectacular. Every time I am in LA this is a must place for me. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Amazin placeJPanDined on 8/31/2014Must go in LA. Great food and ambience. Sunset time is perfect.Special Features:
- Dinner for 2foodisgoodDined on 8/31/2014I went here for a pre-birthday dinner with my girlfriend...a very romantic setting, a fantastic view, and a very pleasant ambiance.Special Features:
- MoralesJoJoDined on 8/30/2014This place was amazing went for our anniversary for the first time. It was so friendly and so beautiful specially when it gets dark you have an amazing view of the city. I even propose to my girlfriend there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YamashiroLuvtodineDined on 8/29/2014Yamashiro was great. The waiter was awesome. The drinks to die for. Food and appetizers were good. Definitely a great place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience is greatIcey1VIPDined on 8/29/2014I love this place. Really sexy. The views are great and the garden is beatiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I must place to eatTulsDined on 8/28/2014This is a gem of a place for a dinning experience. The location is superb, the gardens and the city views are incredible especially during a sunset. The service and food was good we will return to try more dishes. Also the ambience is elegant a little noisy but it is a very large restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View to die for!!ALFREDDined on 8/28/2014Booked on open table and asked for a certain table, hottess was great was greeted and shown a nice table. Waiter was very nice and let us relax with our meal. Stated with drinks, then salds than champagne with our lobster dinners. Come here to relax with someone you want to share feeling and a special night, have a great time and be happy you are there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing view, disappointing mealdontwannacookDined on 8/28/2014I was so excited to visit Yamashiro on our recent visit to L.A. I wouldn't recommend trying to walk up the long windy road from the entrance to the restaurant. We had a reservation and were seated promptly at a nice table with a pretty good view, even though we were farther towards the back of the restaurant. Our server was very professional and greeted us in a timely manner, but service went down from there. We had lobster and shrimp & scallops, and after waiting a VERY long time, both dishes were overcooked. Dessert was also a disappointment, but the house itself, the grounds, and the view are amazing. Just don't have too high of expectations for the food.Special Features:
- Great Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014For my birthday this year my son (29)and I (72) went to Yamashiro, where I had not been for over 10 years. The views were as spectacular as ever, the property is really well maintained,....and...the best surprise of all since my son is a foodie, THE FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING in every way. Both of us plan to go back again...and frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yamashiro slides down the hillMepathDined on 8/25/2014The food quality and menu used to much more impressive than it used to be. The new food menu has a few items on there are can be fit for special occasions, but the Wagyu meat quality isn't very special at all. Very low grade wagyu. Then the lamp chop is a decent lamp chop, for the most part, it takes out the gamy flavor of lamb, but it doesn't do anything to it. I've had better lamp chop at the Yardhouse. Then filet mignon, it's nice, not my favorite cut because it lacks flavor. So what else is there left on the menu? Sushi and rolls. Traveling up that hill for sushi and rolls? If that's really the case, then please take steak completely off the menu. If it's on the menu, at Yamashiro, I expect it to be REALLY good. Not just "meh".Special Features:
- love and will be back!JijiDined on 8/25/2014There is nothing bad about this place. Loved everything about this place! The outside garden with bar is a nice touch. Tried the orange lobster and Himalayan Waygu? You literally cook the meat on a slab of Himalayan salt! SO SOFT AND JUICY! And they remembered that it was our annvand gave us another free dessert. Chocolate coffee Brownie. Very good! But then again I'm a huge chocolate and coffee fan. -.- But skip the sushi dessert. It was just meh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View, Great FoodnewoDined on 8/24/2014Everyone raves about the view, which is completely justified. I was expecting decent food, but was blown away by how great everything was. Yes, the view is spectacular (especially after sun down), but the food is worthy of praise, as well. We ordered the kurobuta pork carnitas and crisscut fries as an appetizer, the american wagyu steak and jidori chicken breast as entrees, and the strawberry filled doughnuts as dessert. Everything was delicious and expertly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic !OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/24/2014The view from Yamashiro's is breath taking...... In a clear day. Try to go on a Sunday evening. Less traffic and little to no smog!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBeckyVIPDined on 8/22/2014food and service were delicious. They brought a complimentary cake for my sons birthday which I had mentioned. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Place to CelebratediningluvbirdsDined on 8/22/2014We live in S. Diego and this was our 2nd visit to Yamishiro. Our 1st we celebrated our 15th anniversary and this visit a family member's 30th. Both times we had a fabulous experience. I made reservations at 7:00 pm to catch the sunset, but we got stuck in the Hollywood Bowl concert traffic. I called once to let them know we were stuck in traffic and again for directions. The receptionist was very calming and assured us of getting seated. She also gave me excellent directions to the restaurant. We finally arrived at 7:45 and were immediately seated at a window with a beautiful view of the surrounding area. We missed the sunset, but the ambience was still incredible while the food and service was exceptional making the evening perfect.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureSymilarianDined on 8/22/2014I live out of the area now but I have coming to Yamashira for many years. Beautiful spot and great food. If you want to show off LA this is one of the best. Generally if you don't know about it you won't find it. Lots of great places to go in Hollywood and Bellaire and this is one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 20th anniversary well executedLoveditDined on 8/22/2014They were expecting us and congratulated us a party of 6 upon arrival the staff was great our server Robert was knowledgable friendly and completely understood how important it was for me to have a great celebration. He got us in and out in 2 hours timed all food perfectly and was just an awesome person. The food was really good to excellent and served perfectly the only knock I would say is that the desserts need a little more detail a flavor not bad but just average. The view of LA is one of the best I've seen WoW We will be back thanks for the memoriesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Place, Mediocre FoodMadeLADined on 8/21/2014This place is worth the trip on a special occasion. The views, grounds, and structure itself are like nothing else I've seen--an ancient Asian palace, well kept, intricate, stunning and expansive. The food did not seem to match the standard set by the ambiance--it was just "fine", especially for the price. You definitely pay for the eye show, not for a dance with the palate. Our server was just slightly spacey, but very nice and helpful--and patient--with our large party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yamashirovanimexDined on 8/21/2014Hello booked a reservation and the hostess was rude and sat people that came after me before me. Took 30 minutes past my reservation to be seated and that was after I reminded the hostess several times. Overpriced restaurant for the type of service you receive.Special Features:
- domdomDined on 8/18/2014I was disappointed, because I had been there before, and things have changed for the worst. The service was slow and the waiter forgot to bring me the beer I asked for, the food was mediocre and they lacked two of my favorite desserts. Besides, they gave up the kimonos of the hostesses, and this was nice touch, I don't understand why they changed this for a modern attire. Bottom line, I will not return, sorry.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceFinedineDined on 8/17/2014My first but not last time at yamashiro, that food was BOMB.COM!!! Our server recommended the perfect Pinot wine with our steaks. Just a tad bit pricey, but WELL worth it! Can't wait to go back and try the sushi and something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazing.DdojsiocDined on 8/17/2014I wanted to give a special friend an amazing memory of Los Angeles so I took them to Yamashiro. The view, the service, the food, the ambiance was simply amazing. I would highly recommend a special evening at this great establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.