1999 North Sycamore Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90068Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.yamashirohollywood.com/
- Phone: 3234665125x
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room Hours:
Sunday- Thursday 5:30pm-9:30pm
5pm until close
Full Lounge Menu:
Sunday- Thursday 5:00pm 9:30pm
Friday and Saturday 5:00pm 10:30pm
Sunday- Thursday until 10:30pm
Friday and Saturday until 11:30pm
2014 Yamashiro Farmers Market:
May 22nd to September 4th
Thursdays, 5pm until 9pm
Weather permitting May to September
Thursday, Friday, Saturday 5pm until 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Brock Kleweno
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contact Sales & Marketing at ext. 222 or email JohnB@YamashiroHollywood.com for more information regarding private events, weddings, or filmings.
- Entertainment: YAMASHIRO FARMERS MARKET: Outdoor Farmers Market every THURSDAY NIGHT, MAY 22nd through SEPTEMBER 4th from 5PM to 9PM. Come enjoy our landmark location while shopping for the best local and organic produce. Stay and have a drink at our outdoor Pagoda Bar, while listening to live music. And don't miss Chef Brock's cuisine from the Farmers Market Grill. See website for more details.
- Special Events: YAMASHIRO Farmers Market, every Thursday night (5 to 9pm) from May 22nd through September 4th. Sample chef Brock's newest culinary creations and several fantastic wines, all while enjoying our breathtaking view!
Dine & Ride Hollywood Bowl Shuttle. Skip stack parking and join YAMASHIRO instead! www.dineandride.com for reservations. Dinner and shuttle reservations must be made through Dine & Ride.
Looking for a hideaway in Hollywood during the Summer? Come to the Pagoda Bar at YAMASHIRO. Every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from April through September enjoy cocktails and light fare al fresco next to the oldest structure in California--the Yamashiro Pagoda. The Pagoda Bar is the best kept secret in town. Start the night off with a sunset cocktail overlooking Los Angeles from atop the Hollywood Hills!
- Cross Street: Franklin Avenue
- Public Transit: Metro Red Line to Hollywood & Highland. Walk west down Hollywood Blvd turn right on Orange and cross at the light on Franklin. Once you cross at the light go left and turn right at sycamore going up the hill. It is a very steep hill so walking in dress shoes or in the dark are not recommended. We suggest calling a cab at the bottom of the hill.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is $8.00 per vehicle.
A word from Yamashiro
Perhaps the most romantic venue in Southern California, Yamashiro’s unique ambiance of historic tranquility and unparalleled views offer guests a place of serenity high above Los Angeles. Executive chef Brock Kleweno leads a dynamic culinary team in creating Asian-inspired Californian fare. From favorites including American wagyu and truffle hamachi to our newest menu items, such as pistachio salmon, guests experience Hollywood in all of its splendor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Yamashiro - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Yamashiro reviews from OpenTable diners
438 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (392)special occasion (308)romantic (296)good for groups (104)fit for foodies (96)neighborhood gem (93)hot spot (79)great for outdoor dining (61)late-night find (60)vibrant bar scene (36)notable wine list (23)great for lunch (23)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (17)Show More
- Dinner for 2OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I went here for a pre-birthday dinner with my girlfriend...a very romantic setting, a fantastic view, and a very pleasant ambiance.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014This place was amazing went for our anniversary for the first time. It was so friendly and so beautiful specially when it gets dark you have an amazing view of the city. I even propose to my girlfriend there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YamashiroOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Yamashiro was great. The waiter was awesome. The drinks to die for. Food and appetizers were good. Definitely a great place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience is greatIcey1VIPDined on 8/29/2014I love this place. Really sexy. The views are great and the garden is beatiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I must place to eatTulsDined on 8/28/2014This is a gem of a place for a dinning experience. The location is superb, the gardens and the city views are incredible especially during a sunset. The service and food was good we will return to try more dishes. Also the ambience is elegant a little noisy but it is a very large restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View to die for!!ALFREDDined on 8/28/2014Booked on open table and asked for a certain table, hottess was great was greeted and shown a nice table. Waiter was very nice and let us relax with our meal. Stated with drinks, then salds than champagne with our lobster dinners. Come here to relax with someone you want to share feeling and a special night, have a great time and be happy you are there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014For my birthday this year my son (29)and I (72) went to Yamashiro, where I had not been for over 10 years. The views were as spectacular as ever, the property is really well maintained,....and...the best surprise of all since my son is a foodie, THE FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING in every way. Both of us plan to go back again...and frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yamashiro slides down the hillMepathDined on 8/25/2014The food quality and menu used to much more impressive than it used to be. The new food menu has a few items on there are can be fit for special occasions, but the Wagyu meat quality isn't very special at all. Very low grade wagyu. Then the lamp chop is a decent lamp chop, for the most part, it takes out the gamy flavor of lamb, but it doesn't do anything to it. I've had better lamp chop at the Yardhouse. Then filet mignon, it's nice, not my favorite cut because it lacks flavor. So what else is there left on the menu? Sushi and rolls. Traveling up that hill for sushi and rolls? If that's really the case, then please take steak completely off the menu. If it's on the menu, at Yamashiro, I expect it to be REALLY good. Not just "meh".Special Features:
- love and will be back!JijiDined on 8/25/2014There is nothing bad about this place. Loved everything about this place! The outside garden with bar is a nice touch. Tried the orange lobster and Himalayan Waygu? You literally cook the meat on a slab of Himalayan salt! SO SOFT AND JUICY! And they remembered that it was our annvand gave us another free dessert. Chocolate coffee Brownie. Very good! But then again I'm a huge chocolate and coffee fan. -.- But skip the sushi dessert. It was just meh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View, Great FoodnewoDined on 8/24/2014Everyone raves about the view, which is completely justified. I was expecting decent food, but was blown away by how great everything was. Yes, the view is spectacular (especially after sun down), but the food is worthy of praise, as well. We ordered the kurobuta pork carnitas and crisscut fries as an appetizer, the american wagyu steak and jidori chicken breast as entrees, and the strawberry filled doughnuts as dessert. Everything was delicious and expertly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic !OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/24/2014The view from Yamashiro's is breath taking...... In a clear day. Try to go on a Sunday evening. Less traffic and little to no smog!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBeckyDined on 8/22/2014food and service were delicious. They brought a complimentary cake for my sons birthday which I had mentioned. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Place to CelebratediningluvbirdsDined on 8/22/2014We live in S. Diego and this was our 2nd visit to Yamishiro. Our 1st we celebrated our 15th anniversary and this visit a family member's 30th. Both times we had a fabulous experience. I made reservations at 7:00 pm to catch the sunset, but we got stuck in the Hollywood Bowl concert traffic. I called once to let them know we were stuck in traffic and again for directions. The receptionist was very calming and assured us of getting seated. She also gave me excellent directions to the restaurant. We finally arrived at 7:45 and were immediately seated at a window with a beautiful view of the surrounding area. We missed the sunset, but the ambience was still incredible while the food and service was exceptional making the evening perfect.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureSymilarianDined on 8/22/2014I live out of the area now but I have coming to Yamashira for many years. Beautiful spot and great food. If you want to show off LA this is one of the best. Generally if you don't know about it you won't find it. Lots of great places to go in Hollywood and Bellaire and this is one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 20th anniversary well executedLoveditDined on 8/22/2014They were expecting us and congratulated us a party of 6 upon arrival the staff was great our server Robert was knowledgable friendly and completely understood how important it was for me to have a great celebration. He got us in and out in 2 hours timed all food perfectly and was just an awesome person. The food was really good to excellent and served perfectly the only knock I would say is that the desserts need a little more detail a flavor not bad but just average. The view of LA is one of the best I've seen WoW We will be back thanks for the memoriesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Place, Mediocre FoodMadeLADined on 8/21/2014This place is worth the trip on a special occasion. The views, grounds, and structure itself are like nothing else I've seen--an ancient Asian palace, well kept, intricate, stunning and expansive. The food did not seem to match the standard set by the ambiance--it was just "fine", especially for the price. You definitely pay for the eye show, not for a dance with the palate. Our server was just slightly spacey, but very nice and helpful--and patient--with our large party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yamashirovanimexDined on 8/21/2014Hello booked a reservation and the hostess was rude and sat people that came after me before me. Took 30 minutes past my reservation to be seated and that was after I reminded the hostess several times. Overpriced restaurant for the type of service you receive.Special Features:
- domdomDined on 8/18/2014I was disappointed, because I had been there before, and things have changed for the worst. The service was slow and the waiter forgot to bring me the beer I asked for, the food was mediocre and they lacked two of my favorite desserts. Besides, they gave up the kimonos of the hostesses, and this was nice touch, I don't understand why they changed this for a modern attire. Bottom line, I will not return, sorry.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceFinedineDined on 8/17/2014My first but not last time at yamashiro, that food was BOMB.COM!!! Our server recommended the perfect Pinot wine with our steaks. Just a tad bit pricey, but WELL worth it! Can't wait to go back and try the sushi and something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazing.DdojsiocDined on 8/17/2014I wanted to give a special friend an amazing memory of Los Angeles so I took them to Yamashiro. The view, the service, the food, the ambiance was simply amazing. I would highly recommend a special evening at this great establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HostessesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/17/2014The hostesses were not very welcoming. Even when I called to confirm my reservation the conversation with whomever answered the phone was very "whatever." I would expect more from this restaurant especially considering their prices and their history. Once we arrived the hostesses seemed to be distracted by other issues, never really smiled or seemed welcoming. Just come in and go to your table. Great what a way to celebrate your anniversary and spend $200 for 2 people.Special Features:
- Great Group Destinationdrbob89Dined on 8/16/2014We hosted a group of friends from Montana, some of whom had never been to LA. A Saturday evening walk on Hollywood Blvd. followed by dinner at Yamashiro just blew their minds!!! Yamashiro is a special LA place. It has maybe the best view of any LA restaurant. The food has a reputation for mediocrity, but all our meals were surprisingly good. One standout was the salt-block steak. A gimmick for sure, but mine was REALLY good. Also outstanding was the jidori chicken, it was perfectly cooked and presented well. There are better places for food in LA, but we'll be back whenever we have visitors who want the Hollywood experience. Yamashiro never fails to impress!Special Features:
- Hollywood HighlightshariDined on 8/16/2014A unique location, great view, great food and drink, great service. Perfect for a romantic evening, gathering with locals or sharing some of the Hollywood scene with out -of-town visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great experience!MikeWDined on 8/16/2014We had a great time. Food and service were wonderful.Special Features:
- HMMMMOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The dinner was great. Food was good. The server is who made the night and the service! I never had to ask for more water or wait on the server or servers! His personality was amazing! Super fun! He even showed us how to refold the napkins! It was great....except that we were seated by the kitchen entrance and were continuously doused with light that took the ambiance away from the night.Special Features:
- BeautifulDeLeonDined on 8/16/2014Went for a romantic birthday dinner. It was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful views with amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Spectacular views of Los Angeles from both the gardens and the restaurant itself. The usage we had was prepared perfectly and the salt plate was a real delicacy. The salt plate is unique and cooks the meat exactly as you want it with perfect seasoning! This is a mist try if you've never had it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodGustavoOrtegaJDined on 8/16/2014It is a nice place. Have very nice gardens. Our table was not with the nicest view. The dining room is not fancy at all. The menu es quite limited as well as the wine list. The food was excellent. Outstanding. Everything was so good. The best was the Seafood Hot Pot and the lobster with risotto. Both excellent. The wine list is short but they have very good wines in different price levels. Our Chardonnay Satgs leap was perfect with our meal. Service is good. No superb but good. A place to go many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yama. yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Beautiful place to impress out of town era or a first date. The view is incredible and the food fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaiterLuauDined on 8/15/2014Christopher was an amazing waiter who made a great meal even more pleasurable. The food was wonderful, the service even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above averageStevenDined on 8/15/2014The food and view was amazing! The only thing I have to complain about was the food taking 50 minutes to get to our table. I understand if it's backed up it will take a while, but our waitor never came to our table within those 50 minutes. Eventually I had to ask a busboy for a manager. As soon as I asked him he went to the back to check on the food and I guess it had been waiting for us. Luckily it was still warm. At the end they have us a brownie with ice cream for me and my girlfriends 2 year anniversary! Best service I've seen when not waiting for our food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleUKfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Without a doubt the best meal we had whilst in Los Angeles! I had the Black cod and smores brownie and they were divine. The beautiful views topped of a fantastic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful servicemadmaxVIPDined on 8/14/2014The servers were nice enough but it seemed like no one knew what they were doing and didn't care. We were a basic party of four. We ordered two appetizers to share and when we ordered entrees, one of us ordered a selection from the appetizer menu as an entree and asked that it be brought as an entrée. The waiter seemed to understand that simple request. It came with the appetizers anyway. When we tried to tell the server that it was early, he left it on the table and walked away. Then when the entrees came later, one was missing. Again, the server walked away when we mentioned we were short an entrée. The waiter said it would be out in a minute. It came more than 5 minutes later with never an explanation or apology from anyone.Special Features:
- Only go for a drink & the viewRitonDined on 8/12/2014We booked a table for 9pm but had to wait 10mns to get seated. After waiting another 20mns to get someone to help, our waiter took the order just to get back to us 10mns later saying the kitchen was closed and we couldn't get the entrees we ordered... Kitchen closing at 9.30pm at the Yamashiro??? That should be said when you can book a table for 9pm... To be honest the food was not as bad as I've remembered from the previous visit. And we got 3 appetizers that were offered but still, this shouldn't not happen. View is amazing but it feels like a 'tourists' trap where you should only go when friends are in town and have a drink by the bar...Special Features:
- SlowgrouchDined on 8/11/2014I knew we were in trouble when it took 20 minutes to get drinks. After we ordered I looked at my watch, our food took 50 minutes to arrive. I'm not asking for much, but a Monday night dinner for 3 doesn't need to be 2 1/2 hours longSpecial Features:
- DisapointedMediocreDined on 8/11/2014Very disapointed in the food quality and service. Money would be much better spent elsewhere.Special Features:
- YamashirNOclynDined on 8/11/2014Terrible service. Ruined my 21st birthday. Manager tried to make up for it by comping valet ($16). Found out later that any server can validate valet parking for any guests.
- Great foodAKallmanDined on 8/11/2014The best sushi and the best lamb racks I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular food, terrible service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014We were looking for a beautiful place to take some friends from out of town for dinner. Yamashiro came to mind. We had been to the little weekly market and always wanted to try it. Taste wise the food isn't the best in LA but it was good. Unfortunately, their service SUCKS! Our waiter was terrible. He was too busy joking around with the hostess up front to come take our order and then would disappear. He didn't want to sell us the menu or answer any questions about it and never mind ordering drinks...those refills never came. Thank God for that view or we would have got up and left. Its too bad because that place is so beautiful, it should be a hot spot. I would say come in for a drink and appetizer, get the best of that view and leave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the viewToniDined on 8/11/2014Took my kids to "the garden" to see a filthy water feature in the form of a small stream filled with dead crayfish. Was seated in the area with a view of the city. Carpeting was dirty and the seats were very old and worn. The dress code not enforced. The server provided no insight or recommendations on the menu, I had to request refills on my soft drink, and the food was bland at best. In between the main course and dessert, the plates were picked up but the table was never cleaned of crumbs; there were plenty, we had our children with us. Walked out of a mediocre dinner experience only to be greeted by an $8 valet charge despite the $$$ price tag for dinner. Forgettable food with bad service. Not worth the view as far as I'm concernedSpecial Features: