3322-B W. Cary St.
Richmond, VA 23221Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.xtrascafe.com/
- Phone: 8043550446
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Monday-Friday 4:00pm-6:30pm features $5 Appetizers. Trivia every Thursday night from 8:00pm-10:00pm.
A word from Xtra's Cafe
Xtra's is a locally owned restaurant with the area's only balcony overlooking Cary Street. Located in Carytown above Bangles and Beads, Xtra's provides sophisticated dining with a laid back atmosphere. Specializing in flatbread pizzas, specialty salads with house dressings, and a variety of pastas and globally inspired entrees. Xtra's is the perfect place for lunch, dinner, and late night cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Xtra's Cafe - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Xtra's Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (11)great for brunch (8)good for groups (6)great for lunch (6)neighborhood gem (5)romantic (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)fit for foodies (2)late-night find (2)special occasion (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Poor Service112913Dined on 9/20/2014We waited awhile for our waitress to take drink orders and then to get the drinks and place our dinner a order. Appetizers and dinner took very long considering they were not busy and tables that were seated after us got their appetizers and meal before us. We had to ask the waitress the status of our order a few times and then told us the ticket got stuck in the printer!!!! Never heard such a thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchGwynn400Dined on 8/24/2014My wife and I went to Xtra's Cafe for brunch on a Sunday around 11:00 AM. There were a few people there, but simple to get a seat on the balcony. I had the french toast with fried bananas and it was incredible. My wife enjoyed the breakfast burrito. We split a pitcher of Mimosas ($15) and they also had bloodies on special for $4. The place is quaint. I would definitely recommend the brunch at Xtra's Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food!!XcellentatXtrasDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I decided to come to Xtra's after I had heard great reviews from two good friends. I ordered the steak as it was recommended by one of my girlfriends. It was superb! The flavor was great and it was cooked exactly how I wanted it! The vegetables and potato that came with it were delicious as well. My husband had a yummy vegetable soup with just enough spice. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit!Special Features:
- Dinner outsidelvtoeatoutsideDined on 8/14/2014Was a beautiful night and although there was traffic noise - didn't bother us at all - part of the ambiance. The waitress was really good - there when we needed her to be and not hovering. Food - crab cakes - were delicious. Definitely will be back.Special Features:
- Brunch was greatRyanVIPDined on 8/10/2014Brunch was great - had a pitcher of mimosas and the french toast! Yum! Great location in Carytown!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodonjaEatsVIPDined on 7/26/2014Xtras' Cafe is a low key but yummy place to dine. They have GF and V options and fun creative mixed drinks. Sit outside and people watch Cary St below.Special Features:
- Consistently goodCTuesVIPDined on 7/26/2014Xtra's provides great quality food consistently. The range of food on their menu initially made me wonder, but of the Mexican style, Italian style, and American dishes I've tried, all have been great. Service is prompt and servers are attentive, even during times when the restaurant is extremely busy (ex: VCU graduation weekend).Special Features:
- Good for late mealrvafoodluvDined on 7/18/2014Comfortable dining spot with good service. Hostess was not very friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent serviceStella2010Dined on 7/18/2014The staff at Xtra was terrific. Everyone went out of their way to provide excellent service. The tuna was delicious. Wonderful Cary Street find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not enjoySusieanddanielDined on 7/6/2014I was not impressed with the quality of the food. I ordered the avacado wrap, it did not have a any goat cheese as listed. My husbands meal consisted of cold soggy sweet potatoe fries and a mediocre sandwich . I did enjoy the atmosphere and the outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Good everything, decent price.Gray4011Dined on 6/15/2014The restaurant isn't terribly big, but they easily accommodated my larger group. The service was good, the food was good, and the drinks were good. They have, what I consider to be, a variety of food and drinks. There is something for everyone here, even kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go!cb16011Dined on 6/8/2014Visited with three of us on a quiet Sunday evening. The food and service were all excellent. Great prices for the quality food. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- The following 54 reviews are from the Xtra's Cafe reviews archive.
- Atmosphere holds Xtra's backPonchoDined on 5/14/2014The food was great, the service was great but it was miserably hot inside and lacking a little in intimacy. I can't overstate how muggy and hot it was there it really ruined the date. I said something to the waitress and she did turn down the air but by the time the temperature had lowered itself we were close to being finished.Special Features:
- Xtra's was pretty xciting!SunshineDined on 5/11/2014I visited Xtra's Café with my family for Mother's Day. The restaurant is very nicely decorated, and has a great atmosphere. The restaurant is very inviting- and the option of outdoor dining is awesome. The wait staff is very friendly and helpful. The food service was slow due to the amount of people there for Mother's Day, but I still believe that it was a nice pick for the occasion. I ordered two scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese and chorizo which came with wheat toast and potatoes. The amount of eggs could be increased (maybe three instead of two), but otherwise the chorizo, potatoes, and toast were delicious. I would definitely return on a less crowded day.Special Features:
- Great food and servicefamilydinerDined on 5/11/2014Food is great and so is the service. Very attentive and was a great outing for my family (kids included)Special Features:
- QualitycraigDined on 5/11/2014I took my wife kids, and in-laws to brunch for Mothers Day. Our food came out a different times and food was just OK.Special Features:
- Xtra SpeciallovetoeatDined on 4/23/2014What a great little gem of a restaurant! Vibrant decor, friendly and attentive service plus good food. What more could you ask for? I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took my 16 year old daughterWolfpackerDined on 4/13/2014Took my 16 year old daughter there for her birthday. She had a flat bread and salad and I an omlet. Both meals were excellent and server was delightful. My only complaint was that it took a while for a server to get to us after we were seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed a delicious brunchLuv2doWIneVIPDined on 3/30/2014We enjoyed a delicious brunch together here with friends on a Sunday. The food was fresh, delicious and the service was excellent. I think it is a hidden gem on Cary Street. I would highly recommend. We will be returning :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in Carytown.SsnsailorVIPDined on 3/21/2014A last minute reservation for us, but what an excellent choice. Ordered Humus appetizer And a cheese plate as well as an intended to share entree. Had to turn off the entree, the appetizers were huge. Wine was superb. People watching plentiful. They have an outdoor dining area overlooking Cary Street. This is a must experience from the many choices in Carytown.Special Features:
- I have to admit it was a littleDCTransplantVIPDined on 2/25/2014I have to admit it was a little disappointing, everything I was looking forward to is no longer on the menu. When we needed our waitress she wasn't around and when we didn't need her she was always there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014My wife and I dined at Xtra's on 02/15 and could not have been more pleases. The food and service were fantastic and the decor of the restaurant is very enjoyable. Eclectic menu and a strong wine list make this a must see in Carrytown. I would highly recommend Xtra's for anyone who is tired of the many chain reataurants in Richmond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there, atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014First time there, atmosphere was great, food was delicious and the presentation was quite unique. Service was very good. Music was "soulful" and complimented the decor. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our dinner. OurMariehenDined on 2/8/2014We enjoyed our dinner. Our server was very nice and right on the spot whenever we needed anything. Most of the food on the menu is very informal, but well cooked and nicely presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceEatOut2Dined on 12/31/2013We've eaten at Xtra's on multiple occasions and always found the food and service to be excellent. As an extra bonus, they had Hardywood Gingerbread Stout on tap. I like the choice of local brews on tap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fun with consistent qualityjb23225Dined on 12/18/2013Although quite noisy due to holiday revelers, still an enjoyable meal for four. Highly recommend the shrimp and grits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Xtrasramjones2636Dined on 11/30/2013Called and changed our reservation to a half hour earlier. Table available and server was great. Friendly staff and carried on conversation with other patrons over Auburn football game ( saw that great final touchdown and it played over and over ). Food was excellent, great presentation. Server friendly, personalbe, kept water filled and drinks moving. Very easy dividing checks between twelve people. Would recommend to anyone. Enjoyed the art deco look to the restaurant and especially the paintings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another excellent mealsurprisingDined on 11/17/2013Had brunch at xtras on Sunday. Good food and bloody marys! Attentive staff ! Thanks again for another wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food in a nice setingJamesVIPDined on 11/3/2013The place has nice ambience especially given the very reasonable prices. Food is average.
- Always great for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/3/2013Xtra's Cafe never disappoints us as a dependably good brunch spot. They serve several versions of Eggs Benedict (I had the prosciutto variation this visit) and the eggs are always perfectly cooked, soft but not dangerously runny. The prosciutto was a generous portion for each egg and the best I've had outside of Italy. The Xtra's Omelet was not as successful: spot-on for flavor but somewhat watery from the bruschetta filling. If the tomatoes had been drained and seeded or sauteed to reduce the water content the fantastic seasoning could truly have shined. Service at Xtra's is always good and the balcony view of Cary Street is always entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully SurprisedLightbeingDined on 10/28/2013Excellent food and service. We were treated with just the right amount of attention. When our food was delayed we were given a hummus appetizer tray that was also outstanding. The stuffed chicken breast was out of this world. Compliments to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing atmosphere, excellent foodsfisherDined on 10/14/2013Menu has good choices. Our party of 4 was very satisfied with all our dishes. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Food was excellent and everyoneBigFryDined on 9/27/2013Food was excellent and everyone was pleased with their meals. We will be back. Very closed parking deck nearby which makes it easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemRVAdinerDined on 9/21/2013I had passed the Xtra's sign many times without realizing it was a restaurant. They have a small but great second-story deck overlooking Cary Street, a hip restaurant area, and a full bar. The menu was interesting without getting too far afield, and all the people in our party enjoyed their meals. The service was attentive without being intrusive. Next time you are near Bangles & Beads, head up the stairs and enjoy Xtra's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummymxdbutterflyDined on 8/19/2013Had a lunch meeting here and was my first visit. We had the bruchetta for an appetizer and everyone loved it. The Nantucket Turkey Melt is AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great service.slcjmDined on 8/17/2013We've been here a few times and it's a good place to go for our mixed group of vegetarian/carnivores. We drank the garnacha on the menu, and it was fantastic! We ordered salads, a couple of the pita pizzas, chicken, and fish dishes. All were good. The only thing we didn't like was the hummus -- it was really bad and no one took more than one taste, although we loved the marinated eggplant that came with it.Special Features:
- Very Nice Dinner SpotCarskiVIPDined on 8/13/2013Great food, nice location, appropriate for dinner meeting, outside dining available. What more could you ask for?Special Features:
- Loved it!forprivacyreasonsDined on 8/5/2013My first time dining in Carytown and I'm glad we chose Xtra's! Beautiful place, love the atmosphere, very comfortable. Server was just polite enough, but that's alright. Shrimp and grits are one of my favorites, so of course I had to try it - the sausage may have been overkill, but the rest of the plate was delicious! So glad we came out and I'd definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Father's Day DinnerPilot1098Dined on 6/16/2013Light crowd on a Sunday night. We shared a fabulous crab dip appetizer and I had a wonderfully flavorful swordfish with a unique and very flavorful succotash and my wife created her own pasta dish which she also enjoyed very much. Attentive service and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/16/2013Xtra's is great! I always enjoy my meal, and the staff is very friendly. It's great for brunch dates with a sweetheart or with friends. It's such a cute place, and I highly recommend it.Special Features: