Xocolat Posh Mexican Cuisine
816 11 ave SW
Calgary, AB T2R0E5Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Xocolat Posh Mexican Cuisine
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.xocolat.ca/
- Phone: (403) 264-6555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 2:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Erik Yeverino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant
A word from Xocolat Posh Mexican Cuisine
We at Xocolat Posh Mexican Cuisine strongly believe that Mexican Gastronomy is an art to be appreciated and understood outside of Mexico. The company is owned and operated by Mexican entrepreneurs that believe in respect, family, hard work and passion for the hospitality industry.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Xocolat Posh Mexican Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
- The resaurant had shut downOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/6/2014The resaurant had shut down and was boarded up, and we were not provided notification.
- Closed!HonestDined on 2/1/2014Xocolat took our reservation but when we showed up, it was closed. Paper on the windows, nothing inside. OpenTable really should be on top of these things.
- Restaurant closed downgoofyguyDined on 1/31/2014We went for our reservation, and were surprised to find out that it was out of business. It's too bad customers can't be notified about these issues.
- Restaurant was not open.RT55Dined on 1/31/2014I made a reservation made through Open Table at Xocolat for Fri. Jan. 31, 2014. We arrived and the restaurant had closed down. I wish we had been told about this change. Embarrassing situation. How does this happen?
- The restaurant is closedRestaurantClosedDined on 1/31/2014The restaurant is closed and not noted on OpenTable. My two guests went to dine that day and found the restaurant locked up and empty.
- The best tasting confusing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/24/2014The food is outstanding. Amazing in fact. Moderate choice, well priced, beautifully presented. What is confusing is looking at the menu you can order A la Carte or as a set number of dishes. So when the table orders 3 dishes and one couple can be drinking wine and having their Main as their last dish and the other couple is drinking coffee and having their dessert as their last dish. As the portion sizes are not standard for most restaurants in Calgary it made it a bit of a guessing game as to a) knowing how many dishes to order and b) how fast you were going to be done your meal The food was Amazing. The Menu needs clarification and the wait staff needs to understand what diners must face in understanding that menu processSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RefreshingWillDined on 1/21/2014It was refreshing on two fronts - Mexican food with a big twist of elegance; nice, modern interior reflecting today's Calgary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and bad serviceYumYumDined on 1/18/2014Nice restaurant but overall would not recommend unless they make some serious improvements - between bad service and okay food, it's a waste of money (entrees are all over $30) and time (you will wait for your food).Special Features:
- Very nice change...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/18/2014I'm certainly glad we didn't react to some of the negative reviews and change our mind about trying Xocolat for a dinner out; we thoroughly enjoyed it. The restaurant has a very nice ambiance and the added touch of live entertainment was a nice change from the usual. The food was excellent and it's presentation ranks with the finest dining in town. Xocolat certainly lives up to it's name/description, "Posh" Mexican. If you're expecting tacos and enchiladas, this isn't the place to go; but, if your looking for higher end experience, with a Mexican touch, I would certainly recommend giving it a try. We will definitely be back to check out what their seasonal menu has to offer in the spring/summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch TimeGerryBDined on 1/14/2014We had recieved a gift certificate from Gluten Free Calgary to try this restaurant. We don't normally go out in the DT core but are SO glad we did. The food was fantastic and the service was impeccable. We will be back to try the dinner menu which looks VERY good too. Very authentic Mexican cuisine. 5 out of 5 all the way around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!TheTDined on 1/11/2014The decor and ambience is absolutely amazing; the food was tasty and presented so well! We went there on Saturday so were able to listen to the Latin band who was awesome, can't wait to go on a Friday and see what the jazz is like. Downside - I wish the cocktails were larger. Also the tamarind margarita wasn't so tamarind-y.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't live up to the hype.DLPCANADAVIPDined on 1/4/2014I'm starting to think that a John Gilchrist endorsement is a sign that I won't be a fan of a restaurant. Cons: drinks took too long and had to be sent back, extremely pricey for the portion size, bland (I've never had Mexican without spiciness before), we were freezing because they only have one set of doors to outside, our coffees came about 5 minutes after our desserts were finished. Pros: seemed to be good for the older crowd (average age seemed to be 50+ maybe that is why the food is so bland?)
- Pretty GoodHlapuzDined on 1/3/2014It was mine and my husbands first time dining at Xocolat. When we walked in the place it was very nice, beautiful decor and different looking from a lot of restaurants in Calgary. The concept of the menu was a bit difficult to understand since all the meals were by courses only and no prices were listed. The portions are extremely small but most dishes were delicious. Although the food was pretty good it was quite overpriced, and lacked some flavour in some dishes. Our waitress was really helpful and very attentive even though she was learning, but the other staff could learn to smile a little they didn't seem too friendly. Overall the food was pretty good but too pricey for the small portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was disappointed. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/21/2013Was disappointed. Food was lacking much flavor, was pretty bland really and we tried multiple dishes.
- Service?NickDVIPDined on 12/20/2013Let me start by saying that the food was good. It isn't Mexcian food that we are used to - more Mexican influenced or Mexican inspired but nonetheless it was good. Service wasn't. The food isn't well described in the menu and the waitress did not assist. We were there for over two hours for lunch. When the mains finally came,only two came out - the other two came five minutes later. The plates were cleared and no one offered us a dessert/tequila menu. I had to ask twice for coffee. For the highend style that they wish to acquire and to justify the prices they are already charging, they need to step up their game.Special Features:
- Great Food Poor ServiceBuaya60Dined on 12/18/2013I took some of my team out for Christmas Lunch to Xocolat. I had never been there before but the concept and menu were intriguing. When we arrived the manager/staff were very welcoming and friendly. The decor and ambience are great. The food is very well prepared and tasty but the service was brutal. It took a long time to take our orders. The waitress neglected to ask how we wanted our steaks cooked. The food took forever to arrive and when it did our appetizers arrived at the same time as two of the main courses. We found out that the kitchen had messed up and did not prepare two of the mains. It took forever to get the two remaining meals. The rest of the folks had already finished their mains by the time the rest showed up.Special Features:
- Very good, a bit slow for lunchJamesDined on 12/18/2013This was my first visit. The food was excellent, the service very good, and the only minor criticism was the pace of the meal. As a business lunch, the starter and main course were both a bit slow arriving from the kitchen. Plan ahead if you have early afternoon meetings. That said, there were no other issues and the food was the first authentically Mexican fare I've found in the city (i.e. it was not Tex-Mex). If accompanied with a nice bottle of wine, the relaxed atmosphere would have been great for a dinner with excellent food and plenty of time for good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good concept, wrong chefeaterVIPDined on 11/30/2013The concept is good, but the execution poor. Service and atmosphere are ok. live music is loud if you are trying to carry on a conversation, but the music is good. The food portions were ok and the construct of the dishes was ok. What I had the biggest issue with is the overall lack of flavour and taste to the food. It was highly under-seasoned. I know most Latin food is bland compared to other regions of the world, but adding some salt or small salsas or sauces on the plate would help. I could not distinguish any one dish or item from another. It took 3.5 hours for supper, so the night was gone and left little time for something else. The food lacked any ounce of flavour. I think a hospital has more flavour. I would not recommend going.
- Overpriced & underwhelmingStephanDined on 11/30/2013Open Table's character limit for reviews is a joke, so I'll just say this: terrible service, mediocre food, and extremely overpriced. There is clearly an issue with the way this place is managed. It is overpriced & pretentious, which I might be able to tolerate if the food was any good or if the service was stellar. I've enjoyed many average meals at other establishments which were enhanced by the quality of service I received. With the price this place charges I was expecting so, so much more. I will not go back, nor would I recommend this place to anyone. Rarely in Calgary have I ever been so completely disappointed in a dining experience. Service was so bad we reduced our 5 course meal to 3 & ate elsewhere.
- Will go again.wine2dineVIPDined on 11/21/2013Loved this restaurant. Server was excellent; knowledgeable, attentive without being intrusive. Love concept of menu. Initially might seem expensive but you get more than enough food for your $$. Wonderful flavours, subtle spicing. Lamb unbelievably tender. Outstanding tuna. Very accommodating if you want to order 4th dish, or additional dessert. Try this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a lovely mealStarryNightOutDined on 11/16/2013We went for our anniversary and enjoyed their seven course dinner. Almost every course was a delight although we must say we much preferred the more known Mexican offerings best. The tacos for example, we wonderful in an upscale way. Our waitress was genuinely into what she was serving and it made the whole experience fun and the live music was really really good too.Special Features:
- not sure who it is pitched atashwilDined on 11/15/2013we had the chefs choice of courses. generally was very good. one was a little too salty but otherwise very good. perhaps if there was a pairing menu of wines it would be better but certainly was better than most if not all of the other mexican restaurants in town. I would say that it is more 'fusion' than authentic, I would recommend it this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentKanucDined on 11/13/2013Not as good this time around for lunch. Ahi tuna tacos were waaaaaay overlooked, despite specifically asking and confirming that they bed one just seared. The Norte beef tacos were very good, as was the tortilla soup. Chicken taco way to dry. And the short rib taco was just ok. Desserts (churros and chocolate cake were nothing great. Even espresso was only decent. Overall, disappointing for what we spent.
- Great but.......SteviepVIPDined on 11/9/2013Food is great, but very expensive at $75 for 5 courses.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlavourfulTraksDined on 11/2/2013Very Flavorful and tasty. The margarita's were excellent. Each course was delightful no one went away Hungary at all. I would defiantly recommend for a foodies night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceThe0ilerDined on 11/1/2013The place is great, food is awesome, as well service and location. I think Xocolate is above all Latin American restaurants in Calgary.Special Features:
- glad I ignored other reviewsJillDined on 10/26/2013Went with two friends and we all thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We each had the three item option. The lobster serving was equivalent to an entire tail of lobster meat and cooked to perfection as was the lamb. I also had the duck which was a smaller portion but rich and filling. The presentation of each menu item was superb. Yes it is pricey - I will definitely go again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Calgary's best RestaurantsWBimmerDined on 10/26/2013Third time we've been to Xocolat and it keeps getting better. They change up the menu every three months, so each time we've been the menu was different and the last time we were there, they offered 3 to 12 course menus and the food came similar to Tapas. Saturday nights they have live music, which is a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayldubDined on 10/12/2013Went here with a girlfriend for a late dinner. The service took a while at first (to take our drink order), but got much better after that. Everyone was very friendly, professional and knowledgable about the menu. The restaurant itself is lovely—very clean, modern and warm. The margaritas are fantastic. My dissatisfaction comes in the value. When I pay that much for dinner, I want to have my mind blown—and it just wasn't. My friend said her food was very good. Mine was good, but nothing to rant about. There are tons of places I can go in Calgary and pay half as much for a significantly better meal. The staff tried very hard so I'd love to say it was perfect, but I just wasn't impressed. Likely won't be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Nice presentation but .....IreneVIPDined on 10/11/2013Food was presented well, but the flavours did not always stand out 50% of the time. Cost seems expensive at first but for the most part the three courses are needed to satisfy your appetite. Not the best place to take a senior. Menu is difficult to understand.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican should never be posh.buffinatorVIPDined on 10/11/2013Great space and service was amazing. The food was not good and VERY over priced.
- Nice but expensive.firsttimerDined on 10/8/2013The food is different and good so it has that going for it; but not the best for a lunch as it is pretty expensive for what you get.Special Features:
- nice placedoughDined on 10/7/2013Nice place, a bit on the expensive side. Very good food. Confusing as to how to order. Each dish comes as a separate courses. 3 was too much food and you could not order just one! (3 was the minimum)Special Features:
- Personable, friendly staff and mgmtEllesaireDined on 10/4/2013Loved that my parents enjoyed their first experience thorougly at Xocolat. They were super impressed with the selection of dishes and compared the quality to a 5 star cruise experience. My third time here and I will surely be back before Christmas to taste the new winter menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBabymommaDined on 9/28/2013This was our first experience at Xocolat and we were thrilled with the experience. We settled on the five course option and our server paced the evening perfectly. If you enjoy going out for dinner as an event, this is the place to go. We stayed for four hours and never once looked at our watches. Each dish was beautifully plated and the variety in flavours was exquisite. Not only was the food and service great but the live music added to the ambience as well. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to take there time, enjoy a great meal and never feel rushed out the door. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uninspired & flavourless foodMolmolDined on 9/28/2013One of the worst meals I've had in Calgary. There was 6 of us out on a Saturday night. The waitress came to take our drink orders, but decided to bring waters first ( nice, we thought), then disappeared for 30 minutes. No waters , no chance to order drinks. We did finally order and were amazed at how bad the food was. The only thing with flavour was the mushroom dish. The ceviche was dreadful. All meat dishes were close to inedible. Because there were 6 of us, we tried just about everything on the menu. Even the chocolate dessert was dry. It took 50 minutes between courses. I think they were so slow because they wanted the illusion of the the restaurant being full.
- DisappointingJasminDined on 9/27/2013Myself and the rest of my party were extremely disappointed with the food. For the price I was expecting so much more. I could not even finish some of my dishes. I will not come back.Special Features:
- Smallest servings everOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2013I decided on going with three course meal at $45, Calamari to start Cornish game-hen as my main and tiramisu for desert. Calamari was small 3 bites, no big deal it’s an appetizer but for the main I was expecting a full hen like most restraints would serve unfortunately it ended up being maybe ½ a chicken breast. Long story short, I was a lot happier with the burger I picked up on my way home from the restaurant.
- good but not mexican!foodyDined on 9/21/2013Were looking forward to "high-end" mexican - friends recommended it - menu has completely changed - if you are looking for traditional mexican with a twist this is not it - seemed more fusion that was mediocre compared to other fusion restaurants - also the individual "tasting" menu was odd -Special Features:
- Not Taco BellKanucDined on 9/18/2013This is Mexican Nouvelle cuisine. Dishes are very original, but you can taste the Mexican influence. Great Black codd. Desserts are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.