408 South 2nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.xochitlphilly.com/
- Phone: 2152387280x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5pm to 10pm, Friday & Saturday 5pm to 11pm, and Sunday 5pm to 9pm
Bar: 5pm to 2am (Happy Hour Monday - Friday 5pm to 7pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Adam Solomon 2152387280x
- Special Events: Our private dining room can accommodate up to 20 guests for seated dinner or up to 60 guests for a cocktail and hors d'oeuvres event. Rental of the entire space is also available.
All requests please call or email email@example.com
A word from Xochitl
Xochitl serves traditional Mexican fare with a modern twist in a fun and comfortable setting. Enjoy fresh made guacamole, antojitos, ceviches, and platos fuertes. Two full service bars feature hand-squeezed margaritas and fresh specialty cocktails. Our extensive tequila list features over 70 bottles.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Xochitl - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Xochitl reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (46)romantic (23)special occasion (19)good for groups (17)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (11)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Just OkOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/18/2014Returned here for dinner and was a bit disappointed. Had red snapper ceviche that was so ridiculously hot from habanero overload. Neither I nor my wife could eat it and had to return it. Her mushroom tamale was oversalted and barely edible. The custom guacamole is always a highlight. The 3 day brined, fried chicken dish was good also. Drinks including the pumpkin margarita special were tasty. So overall just fair tonight. We've had better there!
- Good Stop in the Old CityFoodieOnSkatesDined on 10/10/2014This is an interesting place in the Old City. Its great reviews and my want for a margarita brought me here. I consider myself to know what is and what makes a great, properly made margarita. This place can't do it. They served me the worst margarita I have ever had. I was shocked. They aren't that hard to make properly. For food, I had the spicy brisket tacos. They were by far some of the best food to hit my mouth. The cheese and shrimp stuffed poblano was pretty good. Service was ok, but nothing great. Nice, but not very attentive. The atmosphere is great though.Special Features:
- Delicious but extremely noisyKathyVIPDined on 10/10/2014Took friends ftom Jersey to one of my favorite neighborhood places. We were sat in the basement adjacent to a table of about 15-20. The noisy level was so high we had a very hard time hearing and had to shout. Wish we had sat upstairs. Food was AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKmikeyfaccDined on 10/3/2014Margaritas and Guacamole were excellent. Food was okay, nothing great, and a little pricey for what you get.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real niceLeCoupeDined on 9/27/2014Great service, food came in a timely fashion, and the drinks were greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it.DaveOVIPDined on 9/27/2014Very unique Mexican type food. No simple tacos here. City dining, small tables a bit cramped but overall good service and good food.Special Features:
- Little gem!AllyDined on 9/20/2014I found this restaurant on open table, as I was searching for a good Mexican restaurant. The margaritas are outstanding! Especially the El Pepino -- jalapeno infused tequila with basil cucumber puree - amazing! The queso fundido was delicious as was the customizable guacamole. The service was pretty good - could've been a bit more quick, but our server was knowledgeable and friendly. Would definitely return for good food and excellent drinks.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationAngelaVIPDined on 9/20/2014I took my daughter and her best friend out to celebrate her 17th birthday. After we were seated, they seated a family with a baby and a crying / complaining toddler next to us. Although the food was excellent, I was very distracted by the noise. It was not the ambience that I expected.Special Features:
- less than expectedMizzyDined on 9/14/2014Open table did not have any postings to advertise restaurant week, therefore did not know it was restaurant week for the night of of my wife's birthday so there was only a limited menu to choose from, Very Disappointing. This review maybe a little unfair because if full menu was available the experience we would have been much greaterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating kitchenjo77Dined on 9/14/2014I mentioned to the waitress that a certain food gave me (non-allergic) difficulties, and every dish I had during restaurant was carefully devoid of it, although I had only asked about one side dish! The care in preparation really impressed me, and my meal was 100% delicious, despite the omission of that relatively basic ingredient. I'm looking forward to my next visit already.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014This is the second time we have dined at Xochitl. We were not disappointed, in fact their courses menu for restaurant week had great choices and we were both very pleased. The desserts were the perfect size for that sweet fix you hope for at the end of a meal. Service was superb - we will be back soon.Special Features:
- MagnificoBandVVIPDined on 9/4/2014We have dined at Xochitl several times - and each time we have had a great experience. They have a very creative cocktail menu, excellent food and wonderful service. If you haven't been to Head House Square, this is definitely worth the adventure. A real gem.Special Features:
- Perfect end to a perfect day!JT61214Dined on 8/23/2014My hubby and I wanted a quaint place where we could enjoy one of our favorite types of food. This place did not disappoint! From the top shelf margarita to the made to order guacamole, to the AMAZING queso fundito... each course was even better then the next. We both tried different tacos, pork and brisket...both very good, but the brisket is my recommendation! Just know it packs some kick! Finally, we ended our evening with the amazing dessert... even though we were stuffed, the apple caramel spring roll (it is called something different..I can't remember ;)) was outstanding! This was a great dinner out, service was outstanding and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014The Pepino margaritas were awesome! Guacamole was fresh plentiful and customizable. Corn and tacos mouth watering. Tacos a bit expensive. 3 tacos for $16 and nothing else on the plate. Still delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coloradogirlDined on 8/10/2014Food is outstanding! Took my nephew there and he really liked being able to "create" his own guacamole.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014I was looking for some place different for a birthday dinner for my husband and this fit the bill. The food was amazing and we will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XochitlElyseUUVIPDined on 8/9/2014Surprisingly good Mexican food. Not your place for burritos! Spicy shrimp dish and the chicken were both delicious! Guacamole was very good too!Special Features:
- Really unique Mexican foodJls16Dined on 8/7/2014We were in Philadelphia for the first time and were in the mood for some Mexican food. We used Open Table to get recommendations for where to go in the area. We chose Xochitl and couldn't have been happier. The food is really unique and original, at least compared to your typical Mexican restaurant found in California. I ordered the chicken tacos and they were wonderful. My husband ordered the tamale and although I didn't taste it, he said he loved it. We also ordered the "make your own" guacamole. They have a card at your table where you check off all of the ingredients you want in your guacamole, including all the usual things and then some very unusual ingredients. It was one of the best guacamoles I've ever had!Special Features:
- Best Mexican Restaurant AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014Xochitl is hands down the best Mexican in the city, my experience was top notched. Food was mouthwatering, drinks where delicious, service was excellent and place has a really great vibe.Special Features:
- poor service, mediocre foodKamilDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I had dinner this past Saturday evening with my sister, her husband and 9-year old son. We were seated in a dark basement room (despite having made reservations earlier in the week). The service was absolutely abysmal -- slow and when the food did arrive, inconsistent with the order. We ordered guacamole without any peppers, we got spicy guac. I ordered black beans, I received black beans and rice; my husband's meal didn't arrive for 10 minutes after every other entrée had been served. Terrible experience, not recommended unless you are not hungry at all, and have a lot of time to kill.
- Food That. Loves You BackElGuacoDined on 7/21/2014Great menu, delicious guacamole, excellent drinks, and delicious food, attentive service. Everything was great about this place. I HIGHLY recommend!Special Features:
- Really bad service.SohoVIPDined on 7/20/2014food is good. great margaritas if you ask for ice on the side!I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good pickRedGravyDined on 7/19/2014Decided to come here on a whim to try a different Mexican restaurant in the city. I was very pleased with both the food and the service. The food was very authentic and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatyourveggieseatyourveggiesDined on 7/14/2014Beginning with the build-your-own guacomole and Perfect Margarita, through the deliciously seasoned entrees and right up to the flan, this was a perfect meal. Try their $28 for two special, Mon-Thurs for a good introduction. And I will dream about their short ribs until we meet again.Special Features:
- great mexican food!DeborahVIPDined on 7/12/2014good food, not enough tables! we prefer to sit in the bar area where there is a vibrant bar scene that isn't too noisySpecial Features:
- Can't wait to returntmandersDined on 6/28/2014A large number of my friends (10) were attending a baby shower in South Jersey, so we decided it was a good opportunity to enjoy dinner in the city. After striking out with trying to make reservations at a number of restaurants, we stumbled upon Xochitl - HUGE mistake for not including this in our original picks. To start - the drinks were AMAZING. Strong, flavorful, good quality. Our waitress was extremely pleasant, attentive and helpful with selecting apps and entrees. Guac, fundito, and calamari were all extremely good. They ran out of short rib right as we were ordering, which was a bummer, but my husband had the baby back ribs (amazing) and I noticed that everyone's plate was scraped clean. I, for one, am dying to go back!Special Features:
- The following 853 reviews are from the Xochitl reviews archive.
- First visit to XochitlBobbieDined on 6/22/2014Our first visit to Xochitl was impressive. Our visit was on an early Sunday evening and the restaurant wasn't at all crowded. Our waitress was very helpful and answered all of our questions about the menu items. Our meal arrived timely and the flavors did not disappoint. The guacamole and calamari appetizers were excellent as were our meals. We will visit again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food/Questionable ServiceAnonymousDined on 6/21/2014While the food was good, server left a lot to be desired. She seemed hyper-intent on getting our order, even though we indicated that we were still looking over the menu. This was at 8:30 P.M. on a Saturday, so not like the kitchen was closing. The restaurant itself was hardly packed. Once we ordered, it was a comedy of errors. The calamari app was never delivered. We weren't charged for it either. Did it fall into the Bermuda Triangle? We had to place our dinner orders ... twice. For being so intent, the server had a serious brain cramp and came back to get the orders a second time! Weird... The guacamole we created was tasty, and the spicy brisket tacos were very good. Limited drink selections. Average, not great, restaurant.
- GoodjrockbabyDined on 6/21/2014The only thing I didn't like was the portion size. Very small for the cost and you had to pay extra for a side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!plcphlVIPDined on 6/8/2014We ate at Xochitl for the first time and we were all so pleased with the food. We travel to Mexico several times each year and have come to know the various Mexican cuisines... classic, authentic, regional, modern, Tex Mex, etc. The food at Xochitl was wonderful and it was comparable to many of the more expensive restaurants we have dined at in Mexico, New York, LA and other cities. As many other reviewers have noted, the quacamole is fantastic. We shared a ceviche special and it was fresh and vibrant. We had a a few taco entrees... carnitas, fish and short rib... and a short rib tamale, and all were excellent and beautifully presented. No room for dessert! We will definitely return to this restaurant very soon.Special Features:
- Another Good ExperienceMyFairLadyVIPDined on 6/6/2014This is the second time we've been to Xochitl. The food and service are very good. The make your our guacamole is definitely a standout on the menu. You get to add the ingredients you want to personalize your guacamole. The dinner menu has a good variety and you will certainly find something to satisify your taste buds. Please pay attention to the menu when they tell you something is spicy because they do mean it. The spicy brisket tacos are excellent, but not for the faint of taste buds. They are spicy and might not be for everyone. Overall a really good experience at Xochitl.I would recommend this to a friend.
- appetizersjudyDined on 5/31/2014This restaurant has yummy guacamole & very nice sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BabygDined on 5/29/2014Xochitl was a fun, chill spot. We went for a date, and it was just the right amounts romantic and fun. The lighting was very low, but the bright walls made it feel warmer. Our waitress (who i think was also the hostess) was knowledgable and made great suggestions, especially for the drinks. We decided to get the make your own guacamole, which was cool for the option and even better for not having to make it. I ordered the spicy brisket tacos as my meal. They were good, but they were SPICY. There was a lot of meat leftover from the tacos, so you could scoop some up with any leftover guac and chips, like I did. We didn't have room for dessert, but there were quite a few yummy sounding choices. Overall, great! Also, they do discounted parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/29/2014The food was great. this is the second time we have been there and no one has had a bad or even fair meal!Special Features:
- Xochitl Graduation DinnerAdamsjpDined on 5/24/2014We took our son and his girlfriend there for her graduation dinner - and couldn't be happier! Some of the online reviews were questionable, but I think they were a bit older, when it was under different mgmt. We had everything from customized guacamole to start, margaritas and beer cocktails, to chipotle ribs, beef short ribs, Camarones (shrimp) spicy but good, and Pescado El Dorado (Fish with a light cream sauce). My wife had the fish - she said,1 "probably the best sauce" she'd ever had! We were too full to have desert - so nothing to offer there. The food was fantastic (a little pricey, but not terribly so), the service was quick, attentive, and accurate. The ambiance was quaint and comfortable. Thanks for a great experience!Special Features:
- Great Food!IHeartFoodDined on 5/24/2014Excellent Food! It was delicious and the portions were perfect. The made to order Guacamole was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keep an eye on the serviceScottDined on 5/20/2014Love this place as the food is consistently good and the drinks are awesome. I was a little disappointed in the service. I was there when it was fairly quiet and didn't get the attention needed. It's the simple things - keep my water glass full, keep the great drinks coming when the glass is empty. This place needs great service to keep up with the great food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK.PurpleCinnamonDined on 5/19/2014Expensive (but good) drinks: about $12/margarita, and the drinks are on the small-ish side. Food was decent for the price: taco dishes were all tasty, but by far the best was the broiled fish tacos (wonderful, smoky marinade). Guacamole appetizer was small and disappointing, as were the chips & salsa app (salsa was that boring, blended-into-one soupy consistency, and chips...they could've tried a little harder with those bland puppies). Both desserts we got were icky: tres leches and some kind of chocolate doo-dad. Probably won't be back, but had to try it out per it's good Yelp reviews, and my love for Latin fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food here!!MisterCDined on 5/17/2014great vegetarian dinner (Sope)--maybe the best Ive ever eaten- owner is a delight!! What a nice touch for him to be so engaging! Mexican coca cola-yum! Too bad I don't drink Tequila, never saw so many types! It is cramped and tables are smallish, but that is a small price to pay for a memorable dinner- topped off with apple desert-wow!! I rarely get filled from a vegetarian dinner--if I could eat like this every day, Id never even eat chicken again!!Staff answered all questions--and lets not forget the guacamole--custom made to your own personal tastes! It looked like a huge pile when it arrived--well, it disappeared!! Like everything about Xochitl except the muzak-glad it wasn't the obligatory Spanish, but it was a little gratingSpecial Features:
- Coming from a MexicanEdGeccoDined on 5/16/2014This place was nicely planned out, we went downstairs felt like we were going to start an adventure into Mexico. The Queso Fundido was like no other place in the US. I'm Mexican-American, I've been to mexico dozens of times and I can truly say the Chef here studied Authentic Mexican Food, i'ts not Mexican American it's truly Mexican. I've been to Mexican restaurants all in Philadelphia my Cousin and Brother in law also has his own restaurant and Xochitl is 5 star Stuff I can promise you. I've in at other places in Philadelphia, Reading, New Jersey, Texas and California which doesn't compare, I'm definitively gonna be coming back each weekend with my Wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.