125 North Main Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chowfunfoodgroup.com/
- Phone: 4012739090x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Martin Lyons
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Whether a group of 10 or a group of 50, let us host your private event in our restaurant. Our executive chef will customized a menu that will certainly impress your guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jamie Biscomb 4012739090x
- Entertainment: Great late night bar scene, perfect for after dinner drinks or a night out on the town.
A word from XO Cafe
XO Cafe features a sexy and seductive atmosphere outmatched only by the playfully composed dishes inspired by the finest natural and local ingredients and the highest level of service. XO marks the spot for creative cocktails, impressive wine list, and dishes that highlight the bounty of the sea and seasonality of Southern New England farms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
XO Cafe - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
XO Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
romantic (9)fit for foodies (7)notable wine list (6)vibrant bar scene (6)special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (5)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Exceptional food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014The food was delicious. We had the lamb chops and the steak special. Everything was fresh and perfectly prepared to enhance the individual flavor of each meat and/or vegetable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousYummyyummyDined on 8/22/2014I would highly recommend this restaurant our waitress was excellent. The chef was amazing and I found out he will be cooking for the President in Newport RI soon. I had the chicken Gnocchi meal. Asparagus and creme brûlée. We had a very intimate seat looking outside. It was very clean and I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy to likeBelizVIPDined on 7/26/2014We went on a Saturday night. The food was well prepared and the service was good. As with all Cafe's, the seating was close and our neighbors were very near to us. I can't say that anything stood out for me with this restaurant. Nothing was wrong, but there wasn't anything that made it memorable either.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Great place to have a romantic dinner, great music not to loud, could have a little bit better service from our server but overall great place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/15/2014Service started out well but the waitress was triple set when we were finishing dinner. I was not offered a 2nd glass of wine during the meal and then the we waited a long time while the waitress got caught up. When she finally got back to the table she seemed surprised that we did not want to stay for desert or coffee. Food was good and well presented. Waitress was polite, but missing at the end of the experience.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceZornaDined on 7/12/2014Although it was very busy the experience overall was still excellent. The restaurant week price fixe was well priced and tasty. Atmosphere was happening. Standout moment was at the end of the meal I asked if they could get me a taxi back to my hotel the manager came over and said the taxis were all busy but they called an uber car on the house account for me!Special Features:
- Will return.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014We had an interesting experience dining at XO. There was something amiss with our waitress. She was off on everything all night. However, the food was wonderful, and management went overboard to rectify the wait issue - before we even said anything. We will definitely return. Everyone has a bad night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticluvgrtfoodDined on 6/29/2014My Wive and I went here for our first year wedding anniversary, and we could not have been happier with our choice. We had an amazing night with outstanding food, and service. We not only had a fantastic soup compliments of the chef but we also received an Ice Cream Dessert that was so delicious to complete our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service & foodopentabletopreviewerDined on 6/28/2014Good mix of local, farm-raised food. Service was outstanding - they catered to our table of nine smoothly and with aplomb. "Study in Chocolate" dessert was a hit, as was the wine. Good flavors in the pasta.Special Features:
- Awesome and will return!SarahSDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I dined here for our wedding anniversary and stumbled upon this restaurant while looking at Urbanspoon. We're from MA and wanted to change things up and are so happy we did! Approaching XO, we thought we were in the wrong place as the outside gave more of that cafe feel. But when we walked inside, I was immediately impressed. The wait staff was so nice and our waitress Alisa offered suggestions and her expert guidance throughout the entire meal. The menu offered a wide selection of desserts, apps and entrees. And everything we ordered exceeded our expectations. My husband and I will definitely be back, whether it's for dinner or to try the brunch!Special Features:
- The following 276 reviews are from the XO Cafe reviews archive.
- SatisfactoryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2014The food was good, though not outstanding. Like many restaurants these days, we found it a little noisy with tables close together and rather small. I would return, however, but I was certainly not wowed.
- VG Bordering on OutstandingZimmyVIPDined on 5/10/2014Have returned to XO a few times after a lengthy hiatus. Every meal we've had has been excellent. Service has been great too. We had (real) Ceasar's Salad and Calamari for appetizers. Both were excellent...the calamari lightly fried with a great dipping sauce. For entrees my party ordered the tenderloin, scallops, chicken, and monkfish. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals! XO is back on our regular restaurant rotation...one more excellent meal and my rating moves into the "outstanding" category. Only knock...I wish there were a little more breathing room among some of the tables...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/25/2014Great drinks. Food was average. Service was slow
- Not that impressed...mysterydinerDined on 4/13/2014We dined on a Sunday early evening, so it was pretty slow. The food and service weren't that good considering, so we weren't too impressed. Nothing really stood out or wowed us once the food arrived. Having said that, it could possibly be a cool place to hang out for drinks on a Friday or Saturday night when it's more lively, but not a Sunday.
- XO ReviewreviewDined on 4/5/2014Wait staff was friendly, helpful and on-point. The food was good, however I found the variety and the selection not as great as some other restaurants. I had the pistachio salmon and it was cooked perfectly with great flavor. There were not alot of other options that I would have chosen on the menu however. There were a few orders of filet mignon in our party and the opinion was that it was over cooked. A few others had the scallops and heard that was fantastic. The drinks were very good and I would think about going back to sit in the bar for drinks and appetizers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 guysMichaelDined on 3/29/2014Went out with 4 guys and had a great dinner! All around great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nom nom nomIrishroseDined on 3/22/2014This place is simply a hidden gem! Everything was amazing! Go! Go now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and a lively atmosphereUncleneeseDined on 3/21/2014I met a friend here for dinner; the food was excellent! Easy to find and thanks for the free valet parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal and great service!Aladdin18Dined on 3/17/2014XO cafe was a beautiful restaurant and I was surprised by the internal ambiance and grandiose despite the mediocre look from the outside. I was greeted immediately and seated at the bar before my friends had arrived. The cocktail list was creative and the drinks themselves well made (also with a very good choice of wine).. All dishes looked and tasted fantastic; they were also filling and I'll have to go back for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2014Though barely anyone was there, our service was terrible, our server inappropriately inserting herself into our conversation, and the drink orders took a ridiculously long time to arrive. The food is unrefined and overcooked. Overall price is very high.
- XO Delivers!ZimmyVIPDined on 3/8/2014Meat loaf, mushroom bolognese, chicken, and scallops were the orders. All were excellent! As local foodies we returned to XO recently after a long hiatus. We've now made XO a part of our regular rotation. The martinis were good and fully poured, and the vibe was as good as the food. Recommend you go...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Value in an Expensive RestauraracranstongourmandVIPDined on 3/1/2014Mediocre food at high prices. Ambience and atmosphere have declined over last couple years.Special Features:
- Good but a Bit DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/22/2014Given that we'd heard rave reviews about the award-winning chef here, we had expectations of having a top-notch meal. While what we had was good, even very good, our meals didn't quite live up to the hype. The best parts came early on -- delicious bread, plus a salad of simple greens, beets, pistachios, goat cheese, and a yummy dressing. Our entrees weren't as good -- fish dishes that weren't overly tasty (either the fish itself of the accompaniments). We had to dash and couldn't keep waiting for our dessert (we'd ordered but had to leave for another commitment after waiting for 15 minutes). If you want dessert, follow the advice on the menu and order dessert first! All in all, this is a nice place, and we might return sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the full packageRafaelDined on 2/21/2014I went to XO late Friday evening around 930 PM or so. There were plenty of tables and the place was quiet, which was fantastic. We were seated promptly and our waitress introduced us to the restaurant and menu. The food was amazing, we had the meatloaf and a steak. Our dissatisfaction came with our waitress, she was completely inattentive and disinterested. Did not check if our food was given to us correctly, didn't even bother to refresh our drinks. Mind you, we ordered cocktails and water. Not once in the two plus hour experience did she come over to check on us. I had to get out of my seat and find another staff member to help us get the check. I will be having a very hard time ever going back there or recommending it to friends.Special Features:
- Group Dinner on a snowy nightJimFDined on 2/15/2014A group of 8 of us had dinner after a show at PPAC - on a snowy Saturday night. We originally had 12 people, but 2 couples dropped out along the way. The receptionist on the phone was very helpful and pleasant as we dwindled in size. I had heard this restaurant was small and not good or a group, but this was not the case at all for our group of 8. Our waitress was wonderful, and the food was outstanding - everyone enjoyed there dinner. Great place, great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The menu is creative and tasty- best for desert and coffee. The ambience is more casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!MacThomDined on 2/8/2014We've been to XO's numerous times and are never disappointed. This is a great little place that has great food and great service. My husband always gets the meat loaf (not your mom's meatloaf!). This is a meal for 2 and it's incredible. I had the salmon which was perfectly prepared. This restaurant is one of our favorites either for a special occasion or a normal Saturday night out. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceLAWoman17Dined on 2/8/2014Dined at XO with my family. Arrived around 6:30 for our reservation we were seated immediately. The service was fantastic from our waitress Tammy. She made us feel right at home and provided spot on timely service with great suggestions about the menu. All of the staff were attentive and friendly. The food from. Chef Martin was delicious from the bread to the study in chocolate dessert. I highly recommend dining at XO cafe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pajama Brunch!out2eatDined on 2/2/2014Wear your pjs and be rewarded with a free mimosa! Everything was delicious, the waitress was wonderful, Filet Mignon Benedict, R & B hits for music! I could've spent the day! A wonderful birthday breakfast/brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great interesting menu. NoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2014Great interesting menu. No prices listed on web menu page and if they had been I probably wouldn't have gone there. I'm glad I went as the food was outstanding and I'll go back, but not often , as there are many local resturants that are more reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceNathanVIPDined on 1/23/2014Overall it was a great experience. From drinks to dessert, everything was fantastic. Our server was Jamie and she was attentive, answered every question and made it a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodie night outOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2014This restuarant did a great job for restuarant week Food was great and portions perfect!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for college familiesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/16/2014Had been for brunch two years ago when visiting two of our college students I providence. Went for dinner. Very good. Great attentive service from enthusiastic server. Food well priced and tastySpecial Features:
- I was looking for a placeMickeyDDined on 1/11/2014I was looking for a place to have dinner after seeing "Wicked" at the PPAC. Coincidentally, I received a Phantom Gourmet gift card for Christmas and not knowing the Providence area I went to their website to see which restaurants I could use the gift card. The XO Cafe was one of the restaurants in Providence RI that you can choose from so I decided to make a reservation. It was a great choice. It was right down the road from the PPAC. The restaurant was just what we were looking for. The food and the service were exceptional. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Early Birthday CelebrationBenSDined on 1/10/2014Getting together with friends from Boston was facilitated by XO's great staff allowing our group of nine to come staggered as a winter concert concluded. The party started with drinks and XO's signature calamari, crispy and tender at the same time.My friend Chris took advantage of the prix fixe offering of cauliflower soup, seared cod and fruit turnover. My filet was delicious and a perfectly cooked rare and the gorgonzola sauce was a superb accompaniment. The entire evening was a huge success due largely to the wonderful woman serving us (whose name I have forgotten). She made us feel most welcome, was attentive when needed and allowed us privacy at the same time. Kudos and thanks to XO Cafe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Seating and Amazing CalimariSEBXO24Dined on 1/10/2014This was my first time at the restaurant with my boyfriend. We ordered calamari and oysters for an appetizer. The calamari lives up to its expectations like all the other reviews it was delicious!!! My boyfriend ordered sirloin which was cooked perfectly. The baked Mac and cheese "epic" according to the boyfriend, the best we have ever had. If you are a fan of martinis, the Paris is what you want, pear vodka, St. Germaine, and sour mix!!! The only disappointing aspect of the night was the salmon. It was bland and dry. Overall Satisfied!Special Features:
- Better the first timeJulieParmDined on 1/10/2014This was our second visit and while the food was excellent, we were with a group this time and were situated right by the door in the bar area which was quite noisy. We also had a new server who struggled with our order and made a few mistakes. If you're looking for a quieter experience, ask for the dinning room. I can forgive the service but think teh resourant should have had someone shadow her. She was not ready for prime-time with a big group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch was very poorSeasonedTravellerDined on 1/5/2014I don't expect a lot from a Sunday Brunch but last Sunday was very disappointing. While it seems the chef has gotten some local honors, whoever is responsible for brunch isn't up to the task. When a party of four has 3 mediocre dishes out of 4 it's not a good sign, even though the manager happily suggested we come back for dinner. At least the omelet was fine. All the home-style potatoes were greasy and had some portion charred. They also need to teach their staff that being friendly is one thing but injecting yourself into your patrons conversations is not a good idea even though it was meant well. Too inexperienced. Very few patrons which was a clue. Too many other better choices in Providence to recommend XO.
- Amazing food, great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2014XO Cafe is a great place to eat. Quiet and intimate atmosphere that is great for a date or a small get together. The staff is very friendly and helpful with suggestions on food and knowledge of specials. I have dietary restrictions and the chefs were very accommodating to my needs. I will definitely be back here and would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years Evecat60Dined on 12/31/2013It may have been that it was New Year's Eve, but it the music was so loud as to be unpleasant. Food was ok. Service a little slow, but we weren't in any rush.