125 North Main Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chowfunfoodgroup.com/
- Phone: 4012739090x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Martin Lyons
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Whether a group of 10 or a group of 50, let us host your private event in our restaurant. Our executive chef will customized a menu that will certainly impress your guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jamie Biscomb 4012739090x
- Entertainment: Great late night bar scene, perfect for after dinner drinks or a night out on the town.
A word from XO Cafe
XO Cafe features a sexy and seductive atmosphere outmatched only by the playfully composed dishes inspired by the finest natural and local ingredients and the highest level of service. XO marks the spot for creative cocktails, impressive wine list, and dishes that highlight the bounty of the sea and seasonality of Southern New England farms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
XO Cafe - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
XO Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (20)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (13)special occasion (12)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (6)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- XO is special for XO momentskew1VIPDined on 10/18/2014While XO Cafe is a great option for other reasons, we opted to celebrate our anniversary here recently. The food was delicious, the drinks unique, the setting romantic, and the service was stellar - all made for a lovely and memorable evening. We live in CT, but will definitely go back the next time we are in town!Special Features:
- Not quite what I orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014I ordered the Coffee & Ancho Rubbed Pork Tenderloin, but when our meal came out it was a bone in pork chop. Our waitress failed to mention that they were no longer serving that dish and instead switched it to a pork chop. It was good, but it wasn't what I ordered nor would I have ordered it. A friend of mine and I were celebrating the end of a paleo challenge and indulging in the perfect meal was all I wanted. When the chop came out, I was pretty disappointed. Our service could have been a tad better.Special Features:
- Great night1234abcDined on 10/18/2014Went to XO while visiting my children at college. It was a great spot for the whole family and the food was excellent. We had a great visit and the service was wonderful.Special Features:
- Kooky, delicious funLuvDiningOutVIPDined on 10/17/2014Charming, off-beat and romantic place with cute decor and a splendid varies menu. We shared an excellent salmon appetizer and a sensational rib eye. A real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service & foodLVICDined on 10/11/2014Dined at XO last night with 9 friends for a birthday party. Our waitress provided fantastic service. She was knowledgeable about the menu and had great cocktail suggestions. The food was wonderful. All 9 of us were very happy with our dinners. We ended our evening with 2 dessert sampler plates and no one was disappointed. I wouldn't hesitate to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingTonydDined on 10/10/2014Amazing food great atmosphere. definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good timeRobertDined on 10/4/2014One of my favorite Providence dining spots year after year. Great, always changing menu and fabulous drinks. Wait staff is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFoofsnobsriDined on 9/27/2014Fantastic menu. Food was the best I've had in a long time. Service was great. The only negatives were table was near the bar, which was extremely loud and distracting and we had a lop sided tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Excellent bread and excellent chocolate study... I'm still dreaming about that homemade chocolate ice cream. Had a fantastic waitress as well. Just overall a great experience!Special Features:
- Spur of the open table resv momentStefVIPDined on 9/21/2014We were trying to decide where to go for brunch on Sunday and decided to take a chance and go to XO. The service was very good and the atmosphere was intimate and enjoyable. We would go here more often if the dinner menu had more nutritious non meat options. All in all- brunch was great as we do eat eggs.Special Features:
- XO Cafe ReviewBethDesDined on 9/20/2014Great table, very nice atmosphere and very good service. Two of the three entrees ordered were very good - the coffee rubbed pork and the smoked chicken gnocci. The third entree fell a little short in comparison - the butter poached monkfish was quite tough, and the essence of the poaching was not discernable in the fish. Despite the slight disappointment, I would return to XO.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal, outstanding servicemswoolDined on 9/19/2014Tammy took such amazing care of us on a Friday night at the end of a hugely stressful week. My husband and I met at the restaurant and the moment I arrived we were seated (my husband had been waiting at the bar). Tammy was attentive, thoughtful and always arrived at the table just as we began to think of her. The food was very good - especially the almond crunch fruit tart with lemon thyme and olive oil ice cream - a new flavor for me. We felt dramatically more relaxed during and after a really pleasant meal.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014From the food to the service and atmosphere, we had another fabulous dining experience at XO Cafe. Amazing output from such a small kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Atmosphere and Great FoodRNJoyce12Dined on 9/6/2014We came here for my birthday. The waitstaff was very attentive and the food was very good. They have large portions. I could have got the side of mac and cheese as my entree. Very good!Special Features:
- Exceptional food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014The food was delicious. We had the lamb chops and the steak special. Everything was fresh and perfectly prepared to enhance the individual flavor of each meat and/or vegetable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousYummyyummyDined on 8/22/2014I would highly recommend this restaurant our waitress was excellent. The chef was amazing and I found out he will be cooking for the President in Newport RI soon. I had the chicken Gnocchi meal. Asparagus and creme brûlée. We had a very intimate seat looking outside. It was very clean and I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy to likeBelizVIPDined on 7/26/2014We went on a Saturday night. The food was well prepared and the service was good. As with all Cafe's, the seating was close and our neighbors were very near to us. I can't say that anything stood out for me with this restaurant. Nothing was wrong, but there wasn't anything that made it memorable either.Special Features:
- DrinkssDined on 7/25/2014Great place to have a romantic dinner, great music not to loud, could have a little bit better service from our server but overall great place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/15/2014Service started out well but the waitress was triple set when we were finishing dinner. I was not offered a 2nd glass of wine during the meal and then the we waited a long time while the waitress got caught up. When she finally got back to the table she seemed surprised that we did not want to stay for desert or coffee. Food was good and well presented. Waitress was polite, but missing at the end of the experience.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceZornaDined on 7/12/2014Although it was very busy the experience overall was still excellent. The restaurant week price fixe was well priced and tasty. Atmosphere was happening. Standout moment was at the end of the meal I asked if they could get me a taxi back to my hotel the manager came over and said the taxis were all busy but they called an uber car on the house account for me!Special Features:
- Will return.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014We had an interesting experience dining at XO. There was something amiss with our waitress. She was off on everything all night. However, the food was wonderful, and management went overboard to rectify the wait issue - before we even said anything. We will definitely return. Everyone has a bad night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticluvgrtfoodDined on 6/29/2014My Wive and I went here for our first year wedding anniversary, and we could not have been happier with our choice. We had an amazing night with outstanding food, and service. We not only had a fantastic soup compliments of the chef but we also received an Ice Cream Dessert that was so delicious to complete our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service & foodopentabletopreviewerDined on 6/28/2014Good mix of local, farm-raised food. Service was outstanding - they catered to our table of nine smoothly and with aplomb. "Study in Chocolate" dessert was a hit, as was the wine. Good flavors in the pasta.Special Features:
- The following 277 reviews are from the XO Cafe reviews archive.
- Awesome and will return!SarahSDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I dined here for our wedding anniversary and stumbled upon this restaurant while looking at Urbanspoon. We're from MA and wanted to change things up and are so happy we did! Approaching XO, we thought we were in the wrong place as the outside gave more of that cafe feel. But when we walked inside, I was immediately impressed. The wait staff was so nice and our waitress Alisa offered suggestions and her expert guidance throughout the entire meal. The menu offered a wide selection of desserts, apps and entrees. And everything we ordered exceeded our expectations. My husband and I will definitely be back, whether it's for dinner or to try the brunch!Special Features:
- SatisfactoryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2014The food was good, though not outstanding. Like many restaurants these days, we found it a little noisy with tables close together and rather small. I would return, however, but I was certainly not wowed.
- VG Bordering on OutstandingZimmyVIPDined on 5/10/2014Have returned to XO a few times after a lengthy hiatus. Every meal we've had has been excellent. Service has been great too. We had (real) Ceasar's Salad and Calamari for appetizers. Both were excellent...the calamari lightly fried with a great dipping sauce. For entrees my party ordered the tenderloin, scallops, chicken, and monkfish. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals! XO is back on our regular restaurant rotation...one more excellent meal and my rating moves into the "outstanding" category. Only knock...I wish there were a little more breathing room among some of the tables...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/25/2014Great drinks. Food was average. Service was slow
- Not that impressed...mysterydinerDined on 4/13/2014We dined on a Sunday early evening, so it was pretty slow. The food and service weren't that good considering, so we weren't too impressed. Nothing really stood out or wowed us once the food arrived. Having said that, it could possibly be a cool place to hang out for drinks on a Friday or Saturday night when it's more lively, but not a Sunday.
- XO ReviewreviewDined on 4/5/2014Wait staff was friendly, helpful and on-point. The food was good, however I found the variety and the selection not as great as some other restaurants. I had the pistachio salmon and it was cooked perfectly with great flavor. There were not alot of other options that I would have chosen on the menu however. There were a few orders of filet mignon in our party and the opinion was that it was over cooked. A few others had the scallops and heard that was fantastic. The drinks were very good and I would think about going back to sit in the bar for drinks and appetizers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 guysMichaelDined on 3/29/2014Went out with 4 guys and had a great dinner! All around great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nom nom nomIrishroseDined on 3/22/2014This place is simply a hidden gem! Everything was amazing! Go! Go now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and a lively atmosphereUncleneeseDined on 3/21/2014I met a friend here for dinner; the food was excellent! Easy to find and thanks for the free valet parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal and great service!Aladdin18Dined on 3/17/2014XO cafe was a beautiful restaurant and I was surprised by the internal ambiance and grandiose despite the mediocre look from the outside. I was greeted immediately and seated at the bar before my friends had arrived. The cocktail list was creative and the drinks themselves well made (also with a very good choice of wine).. All dishes looked and tasted fantastic; they were also filling and I'll have to go back for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2014Though barely anyone was there, our service was terrible, our server inappropriately inserting herself into our conversation, and the drink orders took a ridiculously long time to arrive. The food is unrefined and overcooked. Overall price is very high.
- XO Delivers!ZimmyVIPDined on 3/8/2014Meat loaf, mushroom bolognese, chicken, and scallops were the orders. All were excellent! As local foodies we returned to XO recently after a long hiatus. We've now made XO a part of our regular rotation. The martinis were good and fully poured, and the vibe was as good as the food. Recommend you go...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Value in an Expensive RestauraracranstongourmandVIPDined on 3/1/2014Mediocre food at high prices. Ambience and atmosphere have declined over last couple years.Special Features:
- Good but a Bit DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/22/2014Given that we'd heard rave reviews about the award-winning chef here, we had expectations of having a top-notch meal. While what we had was good, even very good, our meals didn't quite live up to the hype. The best parts came early on -- delicious bread, plus a salad of simple greens, beets, pistachios, goat cheese, and a yummy dressing. Our entrees weren't as good -- fish dishes that weren't overly tasty (either the fish itself of the accompaniments). We had to dash and couldn't keep waiting for our dessert (we'd ordered but had to leave for another commitment after waiting for 15 minutes). If you want dessert, follow the advice on the menu and order dessert first! All in all, this is a nice place, and we might return sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the full packageRafaelDined on 2/21/2014I went to XO late Friday evening around 930 PM or so. There were plenty of tables and the place was quiet, which was fantastic. We were seated promptly and our waitress introduced us to the restaurant and menu. The food was amazing, we had the meatloaf and a steak. Our dissatisfaction came with our waitress, she was completely inattentive and disinterested. Did not check if our food was given to us correctly, didn't even bother to refresh our drinks. Mind you, we ordered cocktails and water. Not once in the two plus hour experience did she come over to check on us. I had to get out of my seat and find another staff member to help us get the check. I will be having a very hard time ever going back there or recommending it to friends.Special Features:
- Group Dinner on a snowy nightJimFDined on 2/15/2014A group of 8 of us had dinner after a show at PPAC - on a snowy Saturday night. We originally had 12 people, but 2 couples dropped out along the way. The receptionist on the phone was very helpful and pleasant as we dwindled in size. I had heard this restaurant was small and not good or a group, but this was not the case at all for our group of 8. Our waitress was wonderful, and the food was outstanding - everyone enjoyed there dinner. Great place, great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The menu is creative and tasty- best for desert and coffee. The ambience is more casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.