110 Castro Street
Mountain View, CA 94041Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.xanhrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6509641888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:00am-2:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 4:30pm-9:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Thuy Pham
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Xanh offers lunch and dining catering. Please email all catering request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Facilities: Xanh offers three private room options with a maximum capacity of 60 ppl sitting and up to 250 ppl standing. Please email all private dining request to email@example.com.
- Private Party Contact: Seren P 4088380566
A word from Xanh Restaurant
Xanh, with its cutting edge contemporary design and a more diverse, innovative menu, is tailor made for entertaining and dining. Clearly not your typical Vietnamese Restaurant, XANH is a 21st century interpretation of that beloved culinary tradition retaining the essential elements of the classic but updating it for a new generationContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Xanh Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Mountain View ›
Xanh Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (50)good for groups (43)great for outdoor dining (39)special occasion (33)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (28)neighborhood gem (23)romantic (23)great for lunch (21)great for brunch (9)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent food in a great settingBiggerEyesVIPDined on 8/1/2014Xahn has some very well executed dishes. The lunch buffet is plentiful, and everyone will find something they enjoy.. Great value at lunch as well. The place itself is done up very nicely, and the wait staff is attentive and attractive as well.. Can't go wrong here..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014I'm not sure what happened but I hosted an informal Happy Hour here a couple of months ago and it was great...now, not so much. Not only do you have to go through their event planning to make reservations for 10 or more people, but when we made the reservations for 10, they were extremely rude to my group and gave our table away...there wasn't anyone there so I'm not sure who they gave our table away too. The place was fairly empty so it seems like everyone got fed up with their service (I know that I'm not going to plan another Happy Hour there...). Xanh was awesome before but now it's not... :/
- Good Food, Horrible service!!MutantxDined on 7/25/2014It took them 45 mins to get me my Beer. Food which came out was really good, but pathetic service.Special Features:
- Good Food but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/23/2014The menu has many good choices both for appetizer and the main dish. The quality of food is generally quite good and reasonably priced. The service is slow. The waitresses are perhaps overwhelmed and not very attentive. So it can get a bit frustrating. But overall good place to meet up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- katodaDined on 7/14/2014Lunch is below the expectation. The dinner was very testedSpecial Features:
- Scrumptious Creative CuisineJillVIPDined on 7/12/2014Xanh is special on all counts - the food is superb - fresh, complex but not precious. The service was attentive and warm - also on all counts. We never felt as though we were waiting for a dish - and we also didn't feel rushed. We ordered four small plates for dinner between the two of us (one too many perhaps) and a delicious flight of sake - the food was sequenced just right. This is a keeper of a restaurant.Special Features:
- tulips2uVIPDined on 7/11/2014Love this place but had not been there in quite a long time. It was a Friday evening & the place was jumping. We tried several different items and enjoyed them all. Of note, service was better and much friendlier than it had been in the past. They were just so darn nice this time and we really appreciated this. Only drawback is the noise level. It's REALLY, REALLY loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fav RestaurantKie914Dined on 7/5/2014Always have a great time at this restaurant. The food is always perfectly cooked. The cocktails are always amazing. The ambiance is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutandaboutVIPDined on 7/5/2014Wonderful flavors and beautifully presented plates.Special Features:
- Great food, but understaffedjazE1Dined on 6/28/2014The food was absolutely amazing, including the mussels and the banana leaf sea bass. Drinks were strong, but super yummy! The only negatives were that the outside dining was understaffed, so it took a while to get water, drink menu, etc. I also was continually asked by our waiter if it was ok if she went and did other things before coming back to us (can I drop off these checks, this water, etc). What can you say to that besides yes? I just hope the other tables were asked the same for us. Last negative: for some reason the city of mountain view feels the most efficient way to get through town is through Castro, so during our dinner we had several emergency vehicles with sirens blare through. I haven't seen other downtown areas do this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jamieVIPDined on 6/28/2014We went for an early dinner prior to TheatreWorks. Actually had a private dining experience; they do get busy later. The service was top notch. The menu is large. The crispy potstickers were were good, but the weakest dish of those we ordered. The grapefruit and apple salad was awesome - cool, crisp and light. My husband had a curry stew that was quite hot and spicy - he really enjoyed it -- and ended the meal with the passion fruit mango ice cream to cut the heat. The portions are very generous, so much was left over, which they offered to pack to go.
- Lunch Buffet!anhtuanVIPDined on 6/27/2014Delicious and enjoyable. Curry fish and ca kho were great. Wifey enjoyed che dau xanh for the first time in her whole life.Special Features:
- Friday DinnerSenLeDined on 6/20/2014The Xanh Full Moon Wraps (Banh Xeo) are perfect appetizers, even though the food is under the "small plates" section. I like how the menu has a notice of the Banh Xeo needing 10 minutes of preparation. The fantastic Xanh Banana Leaf Sea Bass (Ca Tuyet La Chuoi) also has a notice of 15 minutes of preparation. The Baby Pork Ribs (Suon Rim Man) are delicious as well. The thick slices of cucumbers at the very bottom of the food are good to chew on after eating the Suon Rim Man because they help clean up the saltiness and stickiness. The water is tasty because there are slices of lemons/limes in the water pitcher to prevent the water from getting too bland. The experience went perfectly well because I made a reservation beforehand.Special Features:
- Uneven experienceFoodie4VIPDined on 6/20/2014Very loud in the front of the restaurant (near bar). Took a few minutes before a server approached our table but then food came out promptly. Heavy on the salt! Expensive for the amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome placeJenrodDined on 6/19/2014The food was amazing, the drink prices were reasonable, and the staff were so attentive, friendly and genuinely nice people. I definitely intend to let people know about this place.Special Features:
- Great for Business DinnerJustTheEADined on 6/18/2014This restaurant was suggested by a co-worker for my boss take his team out for dinner, TOTAL SUCCESS!! Along with changing the seating time at the last minute, the staff was friendly. My boss told me he and the team were very please with the selection and would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, not greatcappyVIPDined on 6/15/2014The menu is very extensive. Some of our orders were much better than others. The Vietnamese tacos were tasty, cooked perfectly. Crispy calamari also very good although on the spicy side. We ordered 2 different noodle dishes(Lucky Egg noodles and Glass noodles with crabmeat), both had nice taste but the noodles were aovercooked. The Chilean seabass dish was very overcooked and soggy but the taste was good. It took awhile to get our table cleared after we finished our main entrees.Special Features:
- great high-end vietnamesetwangerDined on 6/14/2014Xanh is a great place for truly exotic combinations of flavor and stunning plating. Get the Ahi appetizer for the dry ice display, and then love it for the the taste. The back room has very nice ambience for conversation, the rest is beautiful but can be noisy. Service is downright great, this place rules.Special Features:
- Great food, vibrant sceneSandyDined on 6/13/2014All dishes had great display; qunatitiea are limited for the higher price items lime lamb and fish. We were there on a Friday evening and the restaurant was packed. Although we got our reservation on time, the service was slowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok, but a lil tacky...globalgourmetDined on 6/12/2014I was vetting Xanh on behalf of my huge corporate tech company that's hosting a dinner there this week, and I MUST report that I wanted to change the reservation after my experience. The food was made with quality ingredients, but lacked any real common thread or vision throughout, and the chef wouldn't make even the tiniest of alterations. The serveware used was so awkward that it was a distraction. Food tilting over spilling, sauces dumping down the sides of dishes, too many modern plating options that took away from the experience rather than added. Pretty tacky overall. Also, on a Thu night they were allowing a private party use the bar and a microphone= drunken bachelorettes while also packing the room w/dinners. Tacky.Special Features:
- Good buffet for a weekday lunchdiner940XYDined on 6/12/2014The buffet indeed has a good number of choices and some of them are really tasty. Nice choices even for a vegetarian. The can add some more choices for deserts through.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accepted booking at closing timeLovingTheBestDined on 6/8/2014We made a booking for 8:45pm on Sunday, and was told they were about to close when we arrived. Restaurant was nearly empty. Choose to find another restaurant in Castro street.
- LindaDined on 6/6/2014Enjoyed our evening. Though it was a little expensive. Next time will take advantage of the Happy Hour at the bar lounge. Love the Kobe Roll for an appetizer. For entrees, we like the shaking beef (could use a little more beef) and prawns. Garlic noodles as a side dish. The sauce with the Lemon grass chicken was delicious but a little to thin/runny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XANHOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014I give high marks to Xanh for quality and selection of food items. Service was good. We came in at 11:30 and avoided the lines that had formed in the past when dining at a later time and avoided the "noise" that comes with a crowded restaurant.Special Features:
- Asian fusion in a modern settingEMCBVIPDined on 5/31/2014Great food with creative ingredients that are well prepared and presented. We ordered the misfit roll with a tempura fried soft shell crab and mango in a soft skinned roll topped with thinly sliced fried garlic for an appetizer. For entrees, we had the banana left wrapped see bass with shiitake mushrooms and glass noodles, the rack of lamb and garlic noodles. The service was very attentative and the decor was modern. All in all a great meal in one of our favorite restaurants on Castro St.Special Features:
- A favorite when we come to Bay areaRichVIPDined on 5/24/2014Hace been here a number of times. Great Happy Hour. Food is inventive and delicious. Always funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2014We had been here a number of times previously and really enjoyed the place. The rolls and salad were very good again this time, and I like the decor and ambiance. But the green beans and tacos were very mediocre. And the salmon was truly awful--so overcooked and dry that it took a sip of water to wash it down. I had two bites before I gave up on it. We wanted to talk to a waiter about it, but they didn't come by for a full 20+ minutes. By the time a disinterested server checked in on us, we just asked for a check so that we could get out of there. Given the number of great options in this neighborhood, we will go somewhere else next time we are in the area.
- Good food, service is "ditzy"MsabdalaDined on 5/21/2014The service is so impersonal and snooty, without reason. Everyone on the staff is lacking charm and acts awkward. That is my only true complaint, though. The food used to be a little more exciting to me, probably because Xanh was the restaurant the broke ground for foodies and savvy food-centric travelers. Their Vietnamese fusion is notable, and there is something for everyone on the menu, both for drinks and food. I think there are more restaurants that offer options similar to Xanh's, but if you like a hip and modern atmosphere, plus a well-stocked bar, this a great choice for evenings. If you like lunch buffets that don't consist of dried-out chicken sitting in chafing dishes and oily Indian food, this is definitely a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodieDined on 5/17/2014Small portions (we left hungry), over-priced (the most strikingly expensive was the duck duck good at $25 which was not a full duck breast but a few slices and the sides were a spoonful of sticky rice and another spoonful of chopped vegetables... our 10 year-old ate it in a few minutes and was hungry after), most of our dishes were bland and tasted similar to one another (probably because a lot had the same sweet clear sauce and there is a big overlap in ingredients even though we tried to order across the menu). Very disappointed in the food. Not what I remembered. Service was attentive though.Special Features:
- Pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/11/2014I really liked the menu choices, but we were a bit disappointed in that some of the dishes were way too sweet. We ordered Sour & Spicy soup (can't recall the exact title). It had HUGE chunks of a white fish. The "soup" was very sweet, but there was no "spicy" taste which I usually think means a hot chile pepper "spice", nor was there ANY "sour" or vinegary taste. The eggplant dish was very bland; we couldn't quite figure out what it was supposed to taste like. It was also too sweet. We liked the other dishes overall, but were a bit disappointed as this Asian fusion (Vietnamese) restaurant looked very promising.
- Great lunch buffet!LovetodineoutVIPDined on 5/5/2014I went here for the first time with a large party for the lunch buffet. They had an extensive selection of food to pick from and it was all excellent. Very reasonably priced and the service was great. I would recommend it!Special Features:
- Yum!steph0205VIPDined on 5/3/2014Wish we had tried this place sooner, the food was yummy!Special Features:
- A couple of great dishes, one missjimmyDined on 5/3/2014Had a nice birthday dinner here for my wife. Nice ambiance, it was great sitting near the front to overlook Castro street. Ordered a few dishes: Rolling Duck - Awesome! Xahn Salad - Awesome! Full Moon Wraps - Great flavors, but it's a bit messy. Worth it though. String Beans - Awesome ++ ! This was probably the best value dish ( in terms of flavor and price ) The only miss was the Crispy Calamari. The flavor was pretty good, but it wasn't prepared well. The calamari was NOT crispy, but chewy. Good thing that this dish come in the middle and we ended on a high with the other dishes.Special Features:
- Interesting Asian Food at XahnSandyDined on 5/2/2014Very trendy decor and interesting fusion food. We had a vegetarian person in our group and so ordered the Buddha Rolls which were ok. The satay chicken was great, as were the vegetarian version of the Vitenamese tacos. We also has the Sea Bass, which was not worth the $28. Overall, i would highly recommend this place for especial occasions, as it is a bit pricey. Although it was not very busy on the Friday evening that we dined there, I have seen it totally booked on several evenings. So would suggest making reservations.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/1/2014I've been here twice and really liked the ambiance and the way food is presented. I REALLY wanted to love this place but the two times I've been there, the service was so consistently bad, I just can bring myself to ever go back or recommend it to anyone. The servers are very nice but not very good at being attentive.
- Great dinnerAmySDined on 4/26/2014Four of us had dinner here Saturday night for the first time and were pleasantly surprised. All the food was wonderful, we had good service and an enjoyable evening. A bit loud but not intolerable. Love the small plates that can be shared amongst the group.Special Features:
- Great place for lunch/dinnerlosaltosfoodieDined on 4/24/2014Very flavorful food, great lunch buffet. Have been there many times and never been disappointed. Love the green papaya salad and catfish.Special Features:
- Great buffetAahzVIPDined on 4/23/2014Great buffet as usual, I especially love the popcorn chicken. NOTE: the place is very noisy (my meter registered about 80dB) However, it's rude and obnoxious to phone people to remind them about reservations. I made a WEBSITE reservation. I'm hearing-impaired, this will discourage me from coming back anytime soon.Special Features:
- The following 85 reviews are from the Xanh Restaurant reviews archive.
- Lunch is always excellent.BeckyDined on 4/21/2014While occasionally annoyed by the super snooty hostess(es), running that gauntlet has always been well worth it for the food. The lunch buffet is fantastic, and is extremely consistent in it's excellent quality. My recommendation is simply to make a reservation (even same day) to avoid the cold shoulder and judgy tone given to every single walk-in by the front desk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is tasty but not too happynotsohappydinerDined on 4/19/2014We are vegetarians so I know a Vietnamese place is not the best choice. But we wanted to try this anyway. Food was good BUT...given the amount you pay the serving sizes are super small. 4 tiny tiny tacos(half the size of the regular corn tortilla) for some $12+ is ridiculous. One serving of rice $4 ? Same for traditional rolls...6 rolls for $15+ ? It was not even gourmet food to be sized that much and charged so excessively. Unless I want to rip off a guy I am dating I wouldn't recommend this. At least not to veggie people, for whom the choice is anyway so limited.Special Features: