711 Pacific Beach Dr.
San Diego, CA 92109Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.worldfamouspb.com/
- Phone: (858) 272-3100
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am;
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Christopher Bates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is one of our specialties!
- Entertainment: The best ocean view in Pacific Beach; right on the Boardwalk.
- Cross Street: Mission Blvd.
- Public Transit: All the major bus lines will take you right to our restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We Validate the Promenade Parking Garage up to three hours. We also provide a personal valet. Parking is not an issue at this restaurant located right on the Boardwalk.
A word from World Famous
Specializing in surfside dining featuring Southern California Coastal cuisine, market fresh pacific seafood, hand carved prime rib, & grilled to order steaks. Menus are written daily and inspired by sustainable California harvests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
World Famous reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (25)great for outdoor dining (18)neighborhood gem (14)kid-friendly (10)hot spot (10)fit for foodies (10)special occasion (9)good for groups (8)great for lunch (8)romantic (7)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Definitely a mustOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/4/2014Fantastic all around. Wonderful food, service and viewSpecial Features:
- Still best place on the boardwalk.SDPhotodudeDined on 11/4/2014From the burgers to the fish and chips to the tasty wines, World Famous is my go to place when friends are in town or the sun is out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chowder excellentDinerBertsDined on 10/15/2014Spectacular ocean view and great for people watching too, can't beat the setting. The Prime Rib was first rate as was the chowder (compare to Monterey, CA!), service very good, prices good too for the setting. I had Mahi Mahi in a spicy sauce, I am picky about fish, this was very good and fresh. We would definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Seating issueFoodieFanaticVIPDined on 10/11/2014Obviously individuals like enjoying a meal on the beach watching the sunset; That's why we chose to eat there. We had reservation and were sat at a very crowded table where I was actually sitting in the isle way. Very uncomfortable as customers and staff were constantly moving quickly behind me, some with several plates of hot food. When I asked to be moved to one of three open tables by the window I was told the only thing open was inside. Unfortunately made for an unpleasant and unappetizing experience. We will not be going back...there are several other restaurants on the water more accommodating.
- Breakfast with my sisterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014My sister was visiting from Indiana so I brought her here for breakfast because it is my favorite restaurant in Pacific Beach. She loved having breakfast overlooking the ocean. The food as always was excellent. I especially like the French toast. She got the works. We had an especially wonderful young girl server. She was always tight there. Best service ever.Special Features:
- World famous!IceoutDined on 9/19/2014Our server was excellent! She made it a lot of fun!! Unfortunately, they ran out of salmon on one of there dishes. Was a little disappointed! Especially since this was an 8pm reservation. Over all it was a fun dining experience. And the dishes were still delicious. We would dine here again! Maybe earlier to catch the sunset!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmm lobster bisque!DivaDinerDined on 9/16/2014My husband, I and our 5 yr old came here based on some online reviews, if nothing else, for the view which did not disappoint. Parking was nightmarish so we ended up paying the $6 valet right in front of the restaurant. It was very hot, of course, dining on the outdoor patio but was great to watch the sunset. Spinach salad was very good as was the lobster bisque. Kids hamburger was huge and tasty. My husband had the Harpoon Combination which tasted great except the kitchen/waitress messed up and put the dairy laden sauce on the fish even though we requested none. The crab stuffed mushrooms were sitting in a bowl full of bland liquid so I wouldn't recommend that particular item. I would go back and you should probably give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome meal and view.Luv2eatoutDined on 9/13/2014The seafood was fantastic and cooked perfectly. The view was spectacular. Watched the sunset over the Pacific Ocean. Went back for breakfast the next day and it was really good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here!GeoffrefDined on 9/6/2014Good location by the beach, well received on arrival. Unfortunately, it was very warm as the terrace is under a plastic roof with no air conditioning. The food was OK as was the server., My appetiser of pan seared scallops was wonderful, followed by skirt steak and spinach salad which was not, it was far too oily which masked the flavoured of the Gorgonzola cheese, spinach, bacon etc, which was unfortunate, wine was excellent. It was a shame because with afew small changes it could have been so much better.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014I have to be honest normally service is sub par. Being a restaurant manager I am super critical. But this visit Katie A. Did an excellent job! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family dinnerGermaiianDined on 8/31/2014Good food, menus for kids, beach views, and easy parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the BeachpurnhagwDined on 8/26/2014Nice seafood place right in Mission Beach. Nicer inside than it looks from outside. Dinner was good, but nothing exceptional--come for the view! No complaints about service. Parking can be challenging, but they do have valet service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very niceFireflyDined on 8/20/2014We had a very nice dinner. everythng was excellent. though I believe my wife mentioned thet her trio seafood plate was supposed to have salmon on it and the fish was halibut which was fine for her. though the waitress might want to mention it. We are from Arizona and I have mentioned your restaurant to several friends that were vacationing there over the years. thank you, Greg LarkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ViewDiner54VIPDined on 8/8/2014This is the 3rd time we have eaten at World Famous. The food is excellent and the location on the ocean can't be beat. Dinner at sunset is a special treat. The exterior of the restaurant looks a little shabby but don't be fooled. This is a special spot! Make a reservation. The walk in wait is long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 124 reviews are from the World Famous reviews archive.
- Stunning view only surpassedby foodExpatBillDined on 7/21/2014Incredible ambience, stunning view with world class food. All combined made for one of my best eating experiences in years! The night was topped off by a gorgeous sunset. If you can't enjoy this restaurant, you don't enjoy life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedMarinLocalDined on 7/13/2014The food was good for the price and a contrast to how filthy the place is, but some folks are okay with that. The waitress did not present a personality fit for the food service industry. That was most disappointing and embarrassing since I brought guests here on someone else's recommendation.
- Never disappointingFrogsLeapDined on 7/10/2014Great food and service! Must try the Lobster Bisque! This definitely has become our favorite spot when visiting San Diego!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat....YoungatheartDined on 7/9/2014We are always so pleased at the great food and service we get at World Famous. Have been coming there for many years, and it's always a tried and true restaurant that we love........... the view isn't bad either....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place on the boardwalkfundineVIPDined on 7/8/2014Food is excellent, and service was ice. We love World Famous after a day at the beach.Special Features:
- Yum!lifeoftravelDined on 7/6/2014Wonderful food and atmosphere! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceMikePhxDined on 7/2/2014We made an early evening reservation (5:30 pm) and sat on the patio. Being right on the boardwalk and beach is great for people watching and enjoying the ocean. World Famous was recommended by a local for excellent lobster bisque. It did not disappoint... and every entree we had was excellent as well. We did not care for the "Key Lime" cheesecake, but that could just be a regional taste issue. Service was friendly, prompt and attentive. Overall, the experience was great. We will be back next year and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World Famous?1birdrockfoodieVIPDined on 6/27/2014I enjoyed my lunch there with girlfriends,(tasty salads and sandwiches) but dinner was mediocre. The potato wrapped halibut was bland and the potatoes should have been crispy but weren't. My scallops were overcooked and rubbery and the sauce sounded better than it tasted. My husband did not enjoy his Caesar salad- it too was bland. Also, the wine list is poor. On the other hand, my dinner salad was very delicious and they have a few good beers on tap. I think the menu is overly ambitious for the skill level of this kitchen; they should stick to the dishes they do best... Maybe expand the dinner salads and make more straight forward entrees.
- Amazing foodSanDiegoVacationerDined on 6/25/2014The service was awesome, the food was amazing!! We always go each year on our vacation to San Diego, it is a priority of our vacation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014Very good food. Very popular. Long wait time. Even with reservation had to wait for several groups of people on wait list to be seated before we sat down. Noise level was very high. Three kids from a multifamily group several times ran in and out the door yelling as they went. We were fortunate to sit several tables away as they were very also very vocal and active in and around their table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of our favoriteskanalwayseatDined on 6/12/2014When ever we vacation in San Diego, we always have either a dinner or a brunch at World Famous. A reservation is a good idea as the restaurant is very popular. Good food, good service, great view of the ocean and the boardwalk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food OKAtmospherePlusDined on 5/31/2014Even though you are sitting on the boardwalk, it is almost completely covered. So the advantage of sitting outside and reducing the noise level, goes away. The service was exceptional.Special Features:
- Pretty Good FoodSeanFVIPDined on 5/30/2014The food was really good. 2 Star taken away for the following reasons: 1) They told us it will be a 20-25 minute wait. It turned out to be about 50 minutes. Instead of over-promising and under-delivering, I would have appreciated under-promise and over-deliver. We would have walked around the beach if we knew we had to wait for almost an hour (which would have been fine). 2) At no fault of the waitress (from what I could tell), the food took 30 minutes to arrive. Even the waitress said, "Let me check with my manager to see why it has taken this long to get your food ready". I would probably go there again but not on busy nights.Special Features:
- Great foodNMpilotDined on 5/29/2014Awesome lobster bisque. If you sit outside the sun will be in your face about 6:30....Special Features:
- celebrating college graduationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2014Fun place to celebrate any occasion, watch the sunset, and enjoy grea food and drinks. There were 4 of us, three got fish, I got the prime rib. FANTASTIC all around! Drinks were great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great anniversary dinnerdavesfoodDined on 5/15/2014went to world famous for 21st anniversary dinner.it was one of the best meals I have had at world famous. my compliments to everyone responsibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014I have been here twice. Once for lunch and once for dinner. Food is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting from CanadaCanada2014Dined on 4/20/2014Excellent calamari. Best we've ever had. Waitress was extremely service oriented. All of our meals were scrumptious! Left very full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent, servicenardoDined on 4/9/2014Food was excellent, service was attentive and outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must visitFrogsLeapDined on 4/5/2014The food was amazing! The restaurant is busy and for good reason. I recommend making a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mariah was not attentive rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/27/2014Mariah was not attentive rushed us and took plates off table before we were finished eating. Had to ask for water. Food took over an hour to come out. The server forgot to put in the order so the manager had to come out and bring the food to our table.Special Features:
- Excellent Beach SpotSweetSueDined on 3/27/2014We chose this restaurant to celebrate our last night of a fantastic vacation in Pacific Beach. It's right on the beach walkway, and every time we passed, it was packed. With good reason! I had the lobster bisque and an tasty prawn entree salad. The accompanying bread was perfect. My husband and son both had the seafood cioppino, which they said was authentic and delicious. We topped it off with a decadent chocolate soufflé as we watched the sun set. It was a perfect cap to a great stay in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafoodALLFDined on 3/25/2014Glad I made a reservation! Went on a Tuesday night and long line. Food was fairly good; we were excited to end on the highly recommended caramel bread pudding so was a little disappointed based on the hype. Our entrees: the dorado and Harpoon were very tasty but the fish and seafood were a little over done.Special Features:
- Great spot23yearsDined on 3/23/2014Great service, excellent food, fantastic view. Noise level of the people around us was crazy. We could hardly carry on a conversation at a table for 2. The more people drink the louder and more obnoxious they get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect TreatSarahVballDined on 3/22/2014I never eat out anymore. Mainly because its too expensive and not healthy. But sometimes I'll have family visiting or want to celebrate an event. World Famous is the perfect treat. I'm ready to spend the extra cash because I know it will be worth it. Their food is amazing. The view is incredible and the service was top notch. I have nothing but good things to say about this awesome place! I love the food options and I felt like there were a lot of healthy meals and meals you can splurge on. I got the salmon with the quinoa cake and I fell in LOVE!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try the bisque!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014We always look forward to going here when we come to San Diego. We discovered the Lobster Bisque 12 years ago and look forward to it when we come. We tried the Nut-Crusted Brie this time. It was so good. Can't wait to go again when in San Diego.Special Features: