World Cafe Live
3025 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
World Cafe Live
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://philly.worldcafelive.com/restaurant/restaurant-about.html
- Phone: (267) 295-2928
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Thursday- Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Deamer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: An upscale cafe with an intimate stage. A dramatic 3-tiered performance space and restaurant. Flawless sound, lighting, and video. On-site production, flexible seating, first-class catering and adjacent free parking. It's all at Philadelphia region's premier music destination and events facility.
- Private Party Contact: Gretchen McHale 8887624415
- Entertainment: World Cafe Live has been built on a simple insight: that a place dedicated to showcasing live music should be a place that attracts and inspires live musicians. The result is a three-tiered music hall in which every detail has been designed to optimize the live performance experience, from sight lines, lighting and acoustics to green rooms, equipment access and concierge service.
- Cross Street: 30th Street
- Public Transit: We're located just two blocks from 30th Street Train Station!! Easy access from the Market/Frankfort line and various parts of the city; or use any of the regional rail lines from any of the outlying areas.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We have limited FREE PARKING after 5:30pm on weekdays in the fenced in lot under the Walnut Street Bridge, and all day on weekends!
To get there, take a right onto 31st Street from Chestnut, drive to the end of the block where you will reach a stop sign. Parking is allowed only in the first fenced-in lot to your left. Pay parking is available at the UPenn lot across the street at the new field. Please do not double park! Metered parking is available on 31st Street and on Walnut Street too!
A word from World Cafe Live
In addition to being a world class music venue, World Cafe Live also features an eclectic American bistro menu both Upstairs and Downstairs with daily lunch and dinner specials, great music and happy hours.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
World Cafe Live reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (27)vibrant bar scene (25)good for groups (24)neighborhood gem (21)special occasion (18)late-night find (16)great for lunch (15)fit for foodies (15)scenic view (9)romantic (8)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great concert venueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2014Small club atmosphere, our table was practically on the stage so my daughter was so happy to see Lewis Watson so close. Great for an intimate performance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelle ChamuelDebbieJDined on 11/13/2014My daughter and I came to World Cafe Live to have dinner and see the show with Michelle Chamuel. This was our first time there. We both enjoyed our dinner and the show was great. Our waitress was very friendly and did an awesome job waiting on us. I would highly recommend World Cafe Live to anyone who asked me about my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressedkp123Dined on 11/9/2014We came here to see a show and have dinner. Since this is a music venue we had low expectations on the food. The food was amazing with bar food prices. (Tip: order the filet! ) The show was great- impressed with the ambiance and intimacy. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recipe for a great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2014Good food, live music in a intimate setting (2nd floor) made for an truly enjoyable night Not an extensive menu but everything was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Table misses main pointKbotDined on 11/7/2014The one aspect of world cafe live is that they also sell tickets to entertainment separate from dining. Therefore, Open Table, the reservation program should ask directly and first if you have tickets. The system is messed up since it says to make sure to note you have tickets only after you finished and closed out of the reservation. I did not want to go back in and risk losing my table just because the program forgot to ask about my entertainment when I initially made the reservation. Oh, and no human seems to ever answer the world cafe phone line so I ended up leaving a message that, yes, I did buy tickets the night I made the table reservation. Since we travelled from NJ the process left me unsure until I actually arrived.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charles52Dined on 10/27/2014Good food, good service. It was open mic on Monday. Too loud with some poor performers.Special Features:
- so soOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014Convenient if going to show at World Café, but the food isn't great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and musicskippackfoodDined on 10/21/2014Went to see the PHL Live competition. Had to wait to be seated while they cleared out diners only there for a meal and not the show. Food was good with a diverse menu; fries were excellent. Waitress accidentally spilled several glasses of ice water on my husband... would have been nice if they comped a coffee or something to make up for the freezing cold water. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here, but it's a great venue for music and the food option is a plus.
- Always PerfectDlynn710Dined on 10/19/2014We love when we find out our favorite musician is playing at the World Cafe. They have an amazing, helpful staff and the food is always fantastic. Whether it is upstairs or downstairs, the sound system is clear and perfect. I wish every venue was as nice as World CafeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulhappyasalarkDined on 10/18/2014If you want great ambiance, great food and awesome live music, this is the place! Always have an excellent experience at either World Cafe!Special Features:
- Great Food & Concert VenueGadietrichDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed some great food at WCL. I tried the BLTE, where the "E" stands for egg. It turned out to be an incredible sandwich, which is served on a biscuit. The guacamole was excellent, as well as the Bread Pudding. Our server could of been more attentive to us. When I asked for water it took 10 minutes...when another member of my party asked for a refill on his Coke, it never happened.Special Features:
- Fast FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014We had a wonderful time at the show, and therefore, a wonderful evening. But we will never eat there again:) The waitress was sweet (in fact, everyone at the venue was kind) but the food was greasy, and dry and really quite awful. I had 'fish' tacos. My husband, who loves burgers, barely enjoyed his, our two boys picked at french fries, Silas made it clear that my eggs were much better. Søren got a tummy ache. We returned our plates with at least half of the food on them.
- dining blasted out by sound checksmusicfanDined on 10/10/2014Had a 6:45 reservation upstairs and got caught in between sound check for later performance. No ambiance whatsoever. Petite filet was very good as was service and beer selection. Went to 8pm show downstairs which is majority family seating style. Could have eaten down there but sitting at a table for 8 was not my idea of an intimate dinner-that said a lot of people did eat during show. Just not my style-there for the music.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!anoldfoodieDined on 10/10/2014An excellent pre-show dinner was had here at WCL, Phila. Pa. Nice atmosphere, great service by a very friendly young waitress, and the food was delicious! I recommend the chicken breast sandwich as it was among the best I have eaten. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for fine, healthy, dining in a comfortable setting, with great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014Took a party of six there for mid-week lunch. Restaurant was nice, not too crowded, and food was great. A cut above your usual burgers and wraps. Recommended for nice, casual lunch spot.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceNightatWorldCafeDined on 10/5/2014We ate dinner and followed with a musical act. The view from the mezzanine was outstanding. The featured singer was fantastic and we enjoyed the show very much. We plan on returning for another show in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LTJYDined on 10/4/2014HAVE BEEN HERE SEVERAL TIMES. ALWAYS CONSISTANTLY GOOD FOOD AND SERVICE. MENU NOT HUGE BUT EVEYTING IS GOOD. NICE ATMOSPHERE. VERY NICE MNEIGHBORHOOD NEAR PENN UNIVERSITY.Special Features:
- great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Lovely evening with great food and friends listening to Steve Nieve .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good while waiting for a showhuffDined on 10/1/2014Of course it is very loud in there so don't expect to be able to carry on a conversation. Not inspiring food but drinks are great and its perfect for waiting for a show to start
- Good food while seeing a showmemememememeDined on 9/27/2014You need to have tickets to the show if you stay past 8-ish, but the food is good, better than regular "bar food". So if you have tickets, don't eat ahead of time, go a little early and eat. they staff is always great and nice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014It's an especially convenient place for lunch if one attends the free Friday noon concert downstairs; and, while the food is unexceptionable, it is certainly good and affordable. My main complaint is that the musician who plays during the lunch hour is so loud that conversation is nearly impossible. My lunch companion and I constantly had to ask each other to repeat ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect before a showMikeVIPDined on 9/25/2014Ate here before a show downstairs. Food was great. Wife's cocktail was much better than mine but I still quite enjoyed mine. Service was pretty good but incredibly slow. Even if it wasn't so reasonably priced, the convenience of having a nice place to get dinner in a music venue can't be beat.
- Seems UnderstaffediAteHereDined on 9/22/2014Went there for an open mic event and was a little disappointed with the place. It seemed like they only had one or two servers for the event so service was slow. I also ordered the WCL burger to be cooked medium and got served a well done burger. Usually they are pretty good at cooking them the way I've asked for it in the past. Overall the open mic was cool, but the service was a little off.Special Features:
- Pre '80s show dinnerKMPicksVIPDined on 9/19/2014We're members of XPN and enjoy going to World Cafe Live. I realize the emphasis is music, but the volume at times was deafening during our casual dinner. We appreciate the live music during dinner but found it very difficult to have a conversation. Note to future visitors - the only beer both Upstairs and Downstairs serve is Yuengling. Also the menus are completely different - but you aren't likely to get a table downstairs anyhow, so plan to eat Upstairs for best selection.
- always greatnaomiDined on 9/16/2014Meals and music are always fresh and hearty! Intimate seating, friendly service, reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Go for the music.SmoresDined on 9/10/2014This is a great place to catch a unique concert event and follow the latest up and coming musicians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check It Out!OldiesbutGoodiesDined on 9/5/2014We were two couples; African-American, over sixty; lovers of music(especially gospel and jazz); and foodies. An enjoyable time had by all. We were received and served with the utmost respect and attention. Every menu choice delicious. Free Concert Friday a bonus! We have spread the word and we will be back; maybe with a Sax on a Monday night. Look for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Venue, OK foodsassyDined on 8/27/2014I was happy to see a Kale and Quinoa salad on the menu. The kale was supposed to be shredded, it was only torn. Kale is not the easiest thing to eat when it is raw and must be cut very fine. That was somewhat disappointing. Also there could have been a salty element to the salad. My husband was happy with the fish tacos. My daughter was pleased that you could substitute chicken for fish in the tacos. The guacamole appetizer was light on the guacamole, again without a salty chip could have used a salty element, especially with the sweet corn. Overall food was fair.Special Features:
- World cafe reviewLuv2eatDined on 8/26/2014My first visit was great. The view was wonderful. Our seats for the show were better than I expected, the ticket price was reasonable. The employees could not have been nicer. Last but not least the band was awesome. Hope to return very soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and music while you dine.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We ate dinner in the upstairs restaurant before going to a show in the lower level. The food was good, well prepared and tasty. If you are attending an event at this venue, try out the restaurant beforehand. Plenty of on street parking and the meters only run until 8:00 PM (at least on Saturday).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud!!!!!BurningearsDined on 8/22/2014We had a great meal at 7:30 - super burgers, salads, and eggplant fries. Unfortunately, the music was SO loud that we soon realized that we had to eat in silence because no one could hear a thing except the screaming guitars. Please realize that people want to enjoy their meal with some nice conversation and background music (not ear-damaging rock music) Would I go again?? Yes, but only if I knew that there would not be ridiculously loud music. That should be saved for after 9 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodnmusic critiquerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Food was good, fresh and was great choices even for vegetarians. Music was too loud for any conversation but second band was really fun to watch. It's really nice to have good food drink and music all together. Convenient to go downstairs to watch Levee Drivers and red wanting black.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome music & dining venuesh2h2Dined on 8/9/2014Not a large menu, but delicious food. Unbeatable dinner and music venue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WCL, A Gr8 Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/8/201412 of us went to see the Mumbles, a wonderful New Orleans band. Service for the 12 of us was very good considering the large crowd and music playing. Everyone enjoyed the food which was fairly priced. I had the Wasabi Tuna which was prepared perfectly rare. The burgers and the humus, pita and veggie appetizers were tasty. The staff was very nice and accommodating. Everyone in our party left happy. We will return to WCL for the music and food.Special Features:
- Great.mythoughtsDined on 8/5/2014We enjoyed a good tasting meal for a decent price, while enjoying three live bands. Only drawback was people were standing between the tables and the stage so we could not see the stage from a seated position.Special Features:
- Acoustic ShowcontroversyloveskerriDined on 8/5/2014Had reservations and tickets for an acoustic show for The Early November. Table was right next to the stage, we had a great view. The food and service was excellent. It made for a perfect night! I live 100+ miles away, and would come here again and again.Special Features:
- The following 274 reviews are from the World Cafe Live reviews archive.
- Great dinner!!AmyellenDined on 7/27/2014Surprising good food! I had the salmon and it really was fantastic. Cooked perfectly and great flavor. I expected overpriced mediocre food and this dish was as good as any dish I've had in any restaurant in Philly. All the food coming out looked fabulous. Prepare not to have any dinner conversation. The music is LOUD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate a birthday!SunshineVIPDined on 7/26/2014My group of 8 came here for a great birthday dinner and a night of improv comedy that was hilarious. The restaurant space is awesome. It has a live stage where a band was warming up while we dined on several amazing appetizers and entree's. Try their guacamole and the fish tacos! Other table favorites were the falafel sandwich and the burgers. Did you know they have great gluten free bread? You have to ask for the one with seeds though, the plain gf bread is a bit cardboardish. Our service was fast and super friendly and it turned out to be a great place for a birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Music and Good FoodNonniedDined on 7/23/2014We attended a Time for Three concert at World Cafe Live and had dinner there before the concert. The venue offers a wide variety of music - all of which is well chosen for its type. The wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly. Dinner before a concert makes a delightful evening!Special Features:
- great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014We had a wonderful time. The show, service and food are all great. Best bar food I ever had.Special Features: