World Cafe Live
3025 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
World Cafe Live
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://philly.worldcafelive.com/restaurant/restaurant-about.html
- Phone: 2672952928x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Thursday- Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Deamer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: World Cafe Live has been built on a simple insight: that a place dedicated to showcasing live music should be a place that attracts and inspires live musicians. The result is a three-tiered music hall in which every detail has been designed to optimize the live performance experience, from sight lines, lighting and acoustics to green rooms, equipment access and concierge service.
- Cross Street: 30th Street
- Public Transit: We're located just two blocks from 30th Street Train Station!! Easy access from the Market/Frankfort line and various parts of the city; or use any of the regional rail lines from any of the outlying areas.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We have limited FREE PARKING after 5:30pm on weekdays in the fenced in lot under the Walnut Street Bridge, and all day on weekends!
To get there, take a right onto 31st Street from Chestnut, drive to the end of the block where you will reach a stop sign. Parking is allowed only in the first fenced-in lot to your left. Pay parking is available at the UPenn lot across the street at the new field. Please do not double park! Metered parking is available on 31st Street and on Walnut Street too!
A word from World Cafe Live
In addition to being a world class music venue, World Cafe Live also features an eclectic American bistro menu both Upstairs and Downstairs with daily lunch and dinner specials, great music and happy hours.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
World Cafe Live - Best Restaurants in University City ›
World Cafe Live reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (26)late-night find (22)good for groups (20)vibrant bar scene (20)neighborhood gem (18)special occasion (17)great for lunch (15)fit for foodies (10)scenic view (10)romantic (9)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (1)Show More
- always greatnaomiDined on 9/16/2014Meals and music are always fresh and hearty! Intimate seating, friendly service, reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Go for the music.SmoresDined on 9/10/2014This is a great place to catch a unique concert event and follow the latest up and coming musicians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check It Out!OldiesbutGoodiesDined on 9/5/2014We were two couples; African-American, over sixty; lovers of music(especially gospel and jazz); and foodies. An enjoyable time had by all. We were received and served with the utmost respect and attention. Every menu choice delicious. Free Concert Friday a bonus! We have spread the word and we will be back; maybe with a Sax on a Monday night. Look for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Venue, OK foodsassyDined on 8/27/2014I was happy to see a Kale and Quinoa salad on the menu. The kale was supposed to be shredded, it was only torn. Kale is not the easiest thing to eat when it is raw and must be cut very fine. That was somewhat disappointing. Also there could have been a salty element to the salad. My husband was happy with the fish tacos. My daughter was pleased that you could substitute chicken for fish in the tacos. The guacamole appetizer was light on the guacamole, again without a salty chip could have used a salty element, especially with the sweet corn. Overall food was fair.Special Features:
- World cafe reviewLuv2eatDined on 8/26/2014My first visit was great. The view was wonderful. Our seats for the show were better than I expected, the ticket price was reasonable. The employees could not have been nicer. Last but not least the band was awesome. Hope to return very soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and music while you dine.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We ate dinner in the upstairs restaurant before going to a show in the lower level. The food was good, well prepared and tasty. If you are attending an event at this venue, try out the restaurant beforehand. Plenty of on street parking and the meters only run until 8:00 PM (at least on Saturday).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud!!!!!BurningearsDined on 8/22/2014We had a great meal at 7:30 - super burgers, salads, and eggplant fries. Unfortunately, the music was SO loud that we soon realized that we had to eat in silence because no one could hear a thing except the screaming guitars. Please realize that people want to enjoy their meal with some nice conversation and background music (not ear-damaging rock music) Would I go again?? Yes, but only if I knew that there would not be ridiculously loud music. That should be saved for after 9 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodnmusic critiquerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Food was good, fresh and was great choices even for vegetarians. Music was too loud for any conversation but second band was really fun to watch. It's really nice to have good food drink and music all together. Convenient to go downstairs to watch Levee Drivers and red wanting black.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome music & dining venuesh2h2Dined on 8/9/2014Not a large menu, but delicious food. Unbeatable dinner and music venue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WCL, A Gr8 Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/201412 of us went to see the Mumbles, a wonderful New Orleans band. Service for the 12 of us was very good considering the large crowd and music playing. Everyone enjoyed the food which was fairly priced. I had the Wasabi Tuna which was prepared perfectly rare. The burgers and the humus, pita and veggie appetizers were tasty. The staff was very nice and accommodating. Everyone in our party left happy. We will return to WCL for the music and food.Special Features:
- Great.mythoughtsDined on 8/5/2014We enjoyed a good tasting meal for a decent price, while enjoying three live bands. Only drawback was people were standing between the tables and the stage so we could not see the stage from a seated position.Special Features:
- Acoustic ShowcontroversyloveskerriDined on 8/5/2014Had reservations and tickets for an acoustic show for The Early November. Table was right next to the stage, we had a great view. The food and service was excellent. It made for a perfect night! I live 100+ miles away, and would come here again and again.Special Features:
- Great dinner!!AmyellenDined on 7/27/2014Surprising good food! I had the salmon and it really was fantastic. Cooked perfectly and great flavor. I expected overpriced mediocre food and this dish was as good as any dish I've had in any restaurant in Philly. All the food coming out looked fabulous. Prepare not to have any dinner conversation. The music is LOUD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate a birthday!SunshineVIPDined on 7/26/2014My group of 8 came here for a great birthday dinner and a night of improv comedy that was hilarious. The restaurant space is awesome. It has a live stage where a band was warming up while we dined on several amazing appetizers and entree's. Try their guacamole and the fish tacos! Other table favorites were the falafel sandwich and the burgers. Did you know they have great gluten free bread? You have to ask for the one with seeds though, the plain gf bread is a bit cardboardish. Our service was fast and super friendly and it turned out to be a great place for a birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Music and Good FoodNonniedDined on 7/23/2014We attended a Time for Three concert at World Cafe Live and had dinner there before the concert. The venue offers a wide variety of music - all of which is well chosen for its type. The wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly. Dinner before a concert makes a delightful evening!Special Features:
- great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014We had a wonderful time. The show, service and food are all great. Best bar food I ever had.Special Features:
- MehPreciousVIPDined on 7/11/2014We went here before a show and was not expecting gourmet food, it's a cafe but my wings weren't cooked all the way and my salad was wilted like the lettuce was getting old with brown spots. We didn't know that this cafe was separate from the downstairs cafe where you can sit and see the show. There should be on opentable somewhere that this is the case. We also didn't like the fact that when we left to see the show downstairs there were no chairs to sit in to watch the show, only the chairs at the tables for those who reserved them and the VIP area above that is extra money, FYI.
- Nice placeLovingWCLDined on 7/11/2014Good food, good service, nice atmosphere. I also enjoyed the concert downstairs afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VacationCharmDined on 7/9/2014My date and I both worked all day and this was a planned date for us to eat dinner and see a show afterwards. My date didnt order anything for dinner after looking at the menu. He sat there watching me nibble on loaded fries. I wouldnt call this place a restuarant. Its more like bar food and appetizers. We watched and loved the Kenny Latimore show. Service and staff overall were welcoming and friendly. Parking on the street was plentiful and a breeze.Special Features:
- GreatIzzyDined on 7/5/2014Great get away just you and your lady. Loved the music food .a very chil spot no rowdinessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeNancyDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I took our two daughters (16 and 20) to see a show. Had dinner first -- nice variety of menu items, food was delicious. Our table was up front (though there wasn't a poorly placed table anywhere), and the band was great! Great family outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great music and atmosphereMusiclover5Dined on 7/3/2014I can't say enough about how much I love the World Café. It's my happy place:) I am always impressed by the talented performers and all around great atmosphere every time I go there. If you love live music and fabulous food, this is the place for you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient but not greatCourtnieDined on 6/29/2014It was very conveniant location given we were going to see a show that evening. The service was very slow and the food was not hot. Would not recommend if you are not trying to make a show.Special Features:
- Favorite spot for live music!bcwaveDined on 6/19/2014You can't beat live music and WCL is a terrific venue to see the unheralded, the up and coming, and the artists who are breaking big! Food and drinks are reasonable and the ambience made me feel 10 years younger.Special Features:
- Great music, intimate venuefoodandmusicDined on 6/11/2014Wold Cafe Live Upstairs is a wonderful small venue and gives the opportunity to see a wide variety of artists close-up and in the company of friends over dinner and/or drinks. It is very affordable. Most recently, we saw a multi Grammy Award winning singer/songwriter for a grand total of $55 per person (show tickets, dinner and drinks). The food was simple but delicious, the atmosphere is grown-up fun, and the music is always exceptional.Special Features:
- terrible reservation systemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Despite making our reservation 3 months in advance, and showing up on time, we were seated in the back when most of the tables were free. When we made our reservation, we made know our request to sit near the stage. Despite the fact that we called days in advance to check on the reservation, the venue made no attempt to return our call. We were told that night that special treatment and consideration is granted to people who know the exact table numbers (which the venue does not give out). After we complained, we were ultimately moved to a closer table. I do not feel good about this experience and have no reason to believe next time will be better. I don't think I will be visiting this venue again.
- Convienent when going to a showDebdevDined on 6/10/2014Good service and friendly staff. Easy access to World Café shows.Special Features:
- Good food but slow servicesuzymagsDined on 6/9/2014We were seated for 25 mins before we got our drinks and another 10 before we ordered. If we hadn't been there for the Story Slam, we probably would have left. The waitress did not apologize, but she was very busy and seemed to have too many tables. Once we ordered the food came quickly and it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bellabarbDined on 6/8/2014The food was very good, the wait staff was efficient, friendly and knowledgeable. It is a perfect stop before attending a show at the World Café or any other venue in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place for live musicMusiclover44Dined on 6/1/2014I've been here many times for shows. Every time I go the food is good, but it must depend on the chef cause sometimes it's really good. This particular time the waitress wasn't really that great. She wasn't good about coming back and checking in and 50 min after ordering dessert she finally came over to realize we never received it. She did take it off the tab which was nice, but overall she was lacking in service. This is the first I've experienced this though, usually all waiters and bartenders are great. I'll be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice last minute venuesjg1Dined on 5/31/2014We were in my wife's hometown for a quick overnight trip and wanted something to do that wasn't necessarily in the fray of center city. We were able to get to World Cafe Live easily on foot and it was well worth it. I really enjoyed my WCL burger with salad. She had the Korean Tofu dish which she tells me was very tasty. We were entertained by the group hmfo as they performed their Hall and Oates tribute. Great job! I would go back again..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpyderDaveDined on 5/30/2014Good food and great place to see a show. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- nice menu and crowdSnowfallVIPDined on 5/30/2014on Fridays at lunch there is a singer guitarist who makes it very nice ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 251 reviews are from the World Cafe Live reviews archive.
- Great roomMichaelDined on 5/22/2014Pre-show dining at World Cafe works. Limited but well done menu. Good selection from the bar. Gotta love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great service, try foshoAJSta82Dined on 5/11/2014I had never had a meal at the works cafe live. The staff and bartenders always accommodate the crowd no matter what size. The menu was loaded with great choices for a foodie or a finicky eater. Service was awesome and they never rushed us. Everything came out hot and at the appropriate time. I love this venue for shows and now I love it for dinning as well. Everyone should try a meal here at least once. Thanks guys you rock!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/8/2014went to watch a concert - the concert was great, food was okay, drink menu limitedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great potentialgemloverDined on 5/4/2014The environment is nice. I felt comfortable and the waitress was very nice. The menu has a nice selection. The food could use some improvement. The food lacked seasoning and did not taste as good as it read in the menu. The concept for great dishes is there and just needs to be executed better.Special Features:
- entertainmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014What a super band you had on 4/27 upstairs. I hope that you invite them back again. Their music was so uplifting, and they sure got the crowd going. Wonderful service and food too.Special Features:
- Great Food--Too Much Ice CreamAkayDined on 4/19/2014My wife and I ate at the World Cafe for the first time on Saturday night and really enjoyed the food. The menu had something for everyone. I had a pulled port sandwich and she had salmon. We both had salads which were very fresh and good. The view of Walnut Street allowed us to watch the people passing by on the street. The only unusual aspect was that after we moved downstairs for the show, we ordered ice cream for desert. The bowl that we got was HUGE! I'd say that there were at least 4 scoops of vanilla and 4 scoops of chocolate for us to share. I'm sure the supersize portion would be a plus for some but not for us. Otherwise, the food, bar selection and music were great.Special Features:
- Great Spot!kdunnDined on 4/17/2014I took my 12 year old son specifically to see a band, he was the only kid there but he had a great time! Service was excellent, food was very good as well. My son had a burger & I had the grilled cheese - both were great. Nice menu with a variety of cool options. Clean, comfortable restaurant, reasonable prices, & good acoustics too. Staff was professional and courteous. I would highly recommend WCL and hope to go back soon!Special Features: