1426 H Street NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.woodwardtable.com/
- Phone: 2023475353
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Joseph Harran
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Woodward Table
Jeffrey and Sallie Buben's Woodward Table, housed in the historic Woodward Building is a concept that exudes a timeless feel with neighborhood charm. Located just one block from The White House, Woodward presents a "table" of dining possibilities with two eateries...the main restaurant with its creative and diverse American menu and Woodward Takeout Food, a sprite artisanal alternative for breakfast and lunch. The soul of Woodward Table's cooking involves creating seasonal iconic American dishes, a chef's contemporary approach and a regional repertoire of ingredients. Woodward Takeout Food, aka WTF, adjacent to the restaurant, creates a quick serve American breakfast or lunch for the busy Washingtonian, available to eat in or take out. Woodward Takeout Food is like being in a good cook's kitchen...a venue of sights and sounds with the bakery of the entire restaurant located at one end. Smell the fresh baked bread and other concoctions as you place your ordContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Woodward Table reviews from OpenTable diners
255 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (126)great for lunch (86)good for groups (77)special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (57)great for outdoor dining (52)great for brunch (48)notable wine list (36)vibrant bar scene (25)hot spot (23)romantic (21)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (8)late-night find (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/18/2014First visit. A lot of noise but we were seated at a rear table where it was tolerable. We waited 15 minutes for a waiter. Ordered a bottle of wine but one glass of the wine was delivered after another 10-15 minute wait. The mistake was pointed out but the bottle did not arrive until we were nearly finished with appetizers while we watched the waiter helping other tables. Tuna tartare and kale salad were outstanding as were the entrees of tuna and duck breast. Highly recommend all. The menu was so appealing it was hard to make selections. We will return based on the food and hope we just got a waiter having a bad night. We were billed for the single glass of wine, something that should have been compedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Okay Dining ExperienceMandyKDined on 10/18/2014Overall, we had a good dining experience. I had the scallops and short ribs dish, I enjoyed it but could not finish the dish because the short ribs were so salty on their own. Also, some of the minced veg in the short ribs (I was confused why they were there) some were cooked, and some were undercooked. My guests enjoyed their food, I tried the mac and cheese which was very enjoyable for my taste (not overly cheesed). I would say the biggest disappointment of the night was the sweet potato pie. We were expected something the consistency of a pumpkin, but received something more like an apple. The sweet potatoes were still crunchy, and I had a hard time eating it. For the price, I would hope to be raving about each dish.Special Features:
- salads and brisketyumm13Dined on 10/17/2014The salads were fresh and delicious... also the brislet was tender and melts in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was it worth it?LovetoeatDined on 10/16/2014The service was meh. The server was annoyed that we didn't know what we wanted and offered no suggestions. He was too busy to serve us? The food was ok. Got flatbread and the veggies were falling all over the place. The bread was floppy. The server tried to tell my colleague to try my flatbread b/c it was vegetarian. Um, sausage?!? Thankfully my colleague knew better. The one great thing the server did was bring out ice cream for our birthday colleague.
- Very good food, service, valueGeegVIPDined on 10/14/2014Had the appetizer sized kale salad with shrimp for lunch and it was very hearty. The service was friendly and sensitive to the time limitations my party had. It had been a while since I'd had lunch here, and I will now re-add it to my list of faves in the area.Special Features:
- no returnlovegreatfoodDined on 10/12/2014This restaurant was recommended by a friendso we thought we would try it out. The cooks were eating food and digging in their nose while preparing the food. However he did wipe his hand on a towel. Hindsight we should have just left the restaurant. The server wasn't attentive to our order. Overall just wasn't a pleasant dining experience.
- Great Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/12/2014At first blush the idea of an $18 bottomless seems steep in a city where you can find it for $10... GIRL... GO FOR IT! Where you usually get some premixed nastiness this place gives you AMAZING drinks each round! Additionally, you can swap between bloody mary and mimosa. After brunching with a friend I selected this place for my post wedding brunch... it was that good! The fact that the food was amazing didn't hurt!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu with loads of choices!BostonepbDined on 10/11/2014Lovely dinner. Very nice service. Dessert was only so-so but Bibb salad was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remarkable serviceEatwellVIPDined on 10/11/2014I've now eaten at Woodward Table twice, and on the most recent trip a waitress overheard me saying that I didn't care for my soup (too much celery, not my favorite). She insisted on getting me a new dish, and was extremely nice about how it was important for me to enjoy my food. I've never had anything like that happen before and would never have asked for a new dish so I was struck by her thoughtfulness. Overall, the food is very good - everything else that I've eaten there has been terrific and all the other people in my party thought it was wonderful. It can get pretty noisy during happy hour time, but overall, the ambiance is great and service terrific.
- menu on opentable is misleadingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014In the mood for good fried chicken AND wanting to try a restaurant we hadn't been to before, we decided to give Woodward Table a try. Our visit started out on a bad note when we found out that the menu on opentable was outdated and that the restaurant does NOT serve fried chicken. We settled for 2 burgers and a pulled pork sandwich. The sandwiches were good, but not worth the high prices. We did try the crayfish hushpuppies which we did not enjoy and did not finish. I don't recommend them. I don't recommend this restaurant. I do recommend, though, that they keep their menu updated on any sites they use to advertise their restaurant, especially when that site makes reservations for them.Special Features:
- parmigianoDined on 10/9/2014Noise level on a Thursday night was a little overwhelming though they were willing to move us to a quieter table. Took a long time for waiter to take drink orders and, for that matter, food orders. Eggplant humus and pita bread were excellent although when we asked for more bread it took several requests and about 20 minutes. Fish dishes were good (trout, tuna). Not sure I would rush back for another meal.Special Features:
- Excelent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014The food was wonderful. The wine list was lengthy. The service was excellent. The cheese tray was lacking in quantity. Try the duck and the any of the fish options.Special Features:
- CupcakeWonkVIPDined on 10/4/2014I was happily surprised about how great this brunch was. Service was not as exemplary as most people rave, but enjoyed a wonderful outside brunch with an explosion of unexpected flavors that fit perfectly together.Special Features:
- THE LAMB!LakerLover562Dined on 9/30/2014The lamb chops were amazing. That means a lot coming from me, I love me some lamb. It came with two lamb chops bigger than I have ever seen. The entree came with one side and I got the brussels sprouts... DELICIOUS!!!! My father had the scallops and they melted in our mouths. Needless to say, it was a great experience. In addition, the wine was great as well. Enjoy this place!Special Features:
- DisappointingluvagoodmealDined on 9/27/2014We went with high expectations, but was very disappointed with the food and service. The highlight was the flatbread with carmelized onions with short rib meat. The game hen was dry and chewy and had a cloyingly dense glaze on it. The salmon was boring and the mussels were also dry and chewy. None of the three entrees we had were memorable, and no one finished their meal (its not like it was too much food). Our server seemed disinterested and bored with his job. The flatbread plat sat in front of us forever. We had to ask for it to be removed-
- Woodward TableValentineDined on 9/26/2014We sat outside & there was a lot of street noise, which was expected. The service was ok, the waiter was too busy waiting on other tables to actually give a flip about our table. The food was average. We had a broccoli flat bread, caesar salad, collard greens and some kind of fish. Everything tasted ok but nothing scrumptious about any of it. It was just kind of bland. We eat out a lot even at home and this was just another meal for us. We were expecting a great place to eat but instead it was kind of a flop. I also ordered a piece of carrot cake to go and it took about 20 minutes for the waiter to remember to bring it to the table and then there wasn't any silverware in the sack and the hostess had to get us a fork for it.
- The Service Makes WoowardClsgt500Dined on 9/23/2014My colleagues and I were originally scheduled to dine across the street from Woodward. We chose to carve our own path and try something new. Woodward made sense to our locale and the reviews looked good. Service was impressive. Their menu was impressive. The only constructive criticism I'd put out there is to hold off on salting the food so much. The salt was a little on the heavy side thus taking away from such nice dishes. I'd go back without hesitation and make sure I mention my critique prior to ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch Before a ShowSeptemberVIPDined on 9/21/2014I was hungry and ended up with the classic breakfast. It was very good (eggs, bacon, sausage, grits and a biscuit), but wasn't really stepping out too much into Woodward Table's more interesting offerings. The applewood bacon was about the best I'd ever tasted. The biscuit was good, but served dry. Jam or honey would have been appreciated. The grits and sausage were much to my liking. I snuck some of my wife's Chicken Waldorf which was very good also. It was a nice day so we took a table outside. It was ok, but the interesting inside space will be our choice over the sidewalk the next time we dine there. Parking was not easy, and after unsuccessfully cruising for a street spot, we ended up in a $15 garage adjoining the restaurant.Special Features:
- Lovely BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/20/2014My family and I enjoyed a lovely brunch at Woodward Table. We were seated by the open kitchen, which was an awesome experience. Having the chance to see all the food being prepared made it a little difficult to decide on what we wanted, because everything looked amazing! The menu included options ranging from braised short rib flat bread, steak tartare, shrimp and grits to french toast. There is something for everyone on the menu and you will definitely leave more than satisfied. This is a brunch you've got to try!Special Features:
- Excellent fish and serviceJadedtravelistaVIPDined on 9/18/2014Had lunch for the first time at Woodward recently, and was very pleasantly surprised at the the quality of the food. The fish was cooked perfectly, the accompaniment and sauce were delicious. Bread was fresh, warm and fantastic. I had to restrain myself from eating both rolls. Service was friendly and efficient. I look forward to going back and exploring the menu further.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Patio and Great BarOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/17/2014Lovely outdoor seating. Great bar with specialty twists on classic drinks. Shrimp and grits appetizer was great, as well as the mac 'n' cheese side. Tuna was delicious with an asian slaw side. Nice ambiance and fit for both a casual or dressy occasion.Special Features:
- Delicious food and attentive staffblahDined on 9/15/2014Our lunch options arrived promptly and very tasteful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulouschatnoirDined on 9/14/2014This restaurant is consistently good, with friendly people and efficient service. Food is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!DiningDanVIPDined on 9/13/2014It started with the delicious rolls in the bread basket and got better from there. Try the flatbreads and the shrimp and grits appetizer. Worth several visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service.TCDTDined on 8/31/2014Service was phenomenal, food was good but I felt like it had been sitting and want as hot as it could be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Sunday BrunchNbiggsDined on 8/31/2014Thoroughly enjoyed a perfect Sunday brunch while my parents were in town. Everyone's food was great! Chicken & Waffles, Steak & eggs, Croque Madame and Strawberry & Almond French Toast. Peach infused bourbon was remarkable! The server was great and kept my father happy, which is a tough thing to do! Bravo!Special Features:
- Consistently very goodeatingwellVIPDined on 8/28/2014Food and service are of very high quality. Enjoyed soft shell crab sandwich for lunch. You can't go wrong at Woodward Table. I have been there three times and never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014The service, the place and the food were great. The quality of the food was unbelievable and the price were decent. Definitely coming back soon.Special Features:
- Usually very good but not this timeNickyGDined on 8/23/2014I thought WT would be a good pick for my parent's anniversary celebration. My previous two visits were very good experiences, but something was off on the Saturday night we dined (party of 5). We ordered simple beverages, Arnold Palmers. Our server added rosemary I guess to make it more interesting, but didn't ask or inform us. We didn't find her additive refreshing. Someone in the kitchen was heavy-handed on the salt. I like generously seasoned dishes, but the scallops I ordered were over-salted. The hostess sat 2 large parties in our small section. The server struggled with serving the three tables assigned to her. The noise level was loud. The table of 8 seated next to us was so loud that the server couldn't hear our order.
- Nice spot for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Really enjoyed brunch, bottomless drinks were delicious and the food was on point. I would definitely come back here again!Special Features:
- dinnereatemupDined on 8/22/2014food--very good salads; steak tartar was different w/a spicy flavoring. interesting and worth a try. my family all had burgers and felt the flavor was good, the size great, and the price fair. on the negative side, the fries were bland and slightly undercooked. ambiance--bland service--friendly and helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss out on WoodwardDCdinerDined on 8/22/2014Folks often eat at Woodward for lunch bc of its location. But I'd say not to pass it up as a wonderful dinner spot as well. Great wine list, excellent food and impeccable service. We were a group of 10 and our waiter didn't miss a beat!Special Features:
- Love Woodward TablegoodfoodloverDined on 8/22/2014Here for my birthday. There is valet parking; we arrived at 815 and were seated immediately. The restaurant has a nice bar. Appetizers: eggplant hummus & shrimp and grits; both were DELICIOUS. The S&G had tasso ham & brown gravy & was better than what I had in SC. Meals: scallops, too salty but still good; pork chop and sautéed greens. Greens had walnuts & raisins that were supposed to sweeten them but they were BITTER. The waiter substituted creamed corn which was very good. The manager came to our table a couple of times to check on us. Our waiter was great. I was surprised with a slice of peach cake w/berries and a dollop of ice cream w/HB written on the plate, on them. I will return, even alone, w/ a seat at the bar.Special Features:
- After dinner winnerMagicMoDined on 8/21/2014Met an old colleague for drinks and apps. Fantastic choice of areas (lively bar, large tables, small corners to "hide" in and catch up, etc) extensive wine list and diverse and delicious-sounding menu. Flatbreads & ceviche were both huge wins. I'll be back again without a doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but savory portionsrudydaleVIPDined on 8/18/2014My colleague & I both ordered the salmon main entree and were not disappointed with the flavors and textures of the dish. I wouldn't say we were disappointed, either, by the serving size, but it did seem to me that the accompanying potato and kale were much less generous than I expected and the potato was eminently forgettable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerBetsyDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful dinner on a Saturday night, outside, at Woodward Table. Food and wine delicious and service absolutely impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Outstanding StaffTomFDined on 8/16/2014I didn't know that it was Restaurant Week. The menu was more limited that I had anticipated. The varieties offered were still diverse and interesting. The flavor of each dish was pleasing with no seasoning overwhelming other seasonings. The Chef knows how to control the salt content of the dishes. The servers were OUTSTANDING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014I absolutely loved Woodward Table during DC Restaurant Week. The service was impeccable and the courses were equally amazing. I can't wait to experience more of the menu selection.Special Features:
- Restaurant week winnerIlovedc76Dined on 8/15/2014Went for dinner during restaurant week. They had an extensive menu for the special. Had the beet & carrot salad, the pork belly entree and the bourbon brown sugar bread pudding - will be back and will order all 3 again. One of the best meals I have had in a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingPCYinDCDined on 8/15/2014Woodward Table never disappoints, even during restaurant week when the business levels are highly eleveated the staff continues to provide an amazing dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.