1426 H Street NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.woodwardtable.com/
- Phone: (202) 347-5353
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Joseph Harran
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Woodward Table
Jeffrey and Sallie Buben's Woodward Table, housed in the historic Woodward Building is a concept that exudes a timeless feel with neighborhood charm. Located just one block from The White House, Woodward presents a "table" of dining possibilities with two eateries...the main restaurant with its creative and diverse American menu and Woodward Takeout Food, a sprite artisanal alternative for breakfast and lunch. The soul of Woodward Table's cooking involves creating seasonal iconic American dishes, a chef's contemporary approach and a regional repertoire of ingredients. Woodward Takeout Food, aka WTF, adjacent to the restaurant, creates a quick serve American breakfast or lunch for the busy Washingtonian, available to eat in or take out. Woodward Takeout Food is like being in a good cook's kitchen...a venue of sights and sounds with the bakery of the entire restaurant located at one end. Smell the fresh baked bread and other concoctions as you place your ordContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Woodward Table reviews from OpenTable diners
253 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (131)great for lunch (88)good for groups (78)special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (57)great for brunch (49)great for outdoor dining (45)notable wine list (35)vibrant bar scene (33)hot spot (28)romantic (19)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (8)scenic view (6)Show More
- Nice!DiDi313Dined on 11/20/2014Great food! I had the Oyster Po' Boy Salad and my friend had the Short Rib Flatbread. Both were incredible! I was a little turned off by a rude hostess and a waiter that wasn't very attentive. I plan to return. Hopefully the staff will be different :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, helpful waitstaff, upgraded tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014The tuna was perfectly seared; the small plates were delicious and filling. Our waitress made excellent recommendations on beer and wine. I guess lots of people like this venue because it was pretty full even on a Wednesday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, tasty and good pricesCazualDinerDined on 11/17/2014Stopped in for a quick light meal before and evening event. We had The char burger and the pulled pork sandwiches which were both very good. My only complaint is with the buns, which I think should be more substantial when you have a substantial sandwich. The menu is not expensive but it was not hard to find things we were looking for. Nevertheless the food was tasty and the beer was very good, Prices were reasonable and Service was excellent. I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant unhurried mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/17/2014A friend and I met for dinner. We were early and sat at the bar first. We each had a glass of the house wine. We were shown to our table promptly. Our server was excellent. He did not hurry us, but was available when we needed something. We enjoyed the beet and carrot salad, which we were allowed to share, and the fluke special. The food was great and the experience was very nice. The only downside was that our table was right next to a server station.Special Features:
- No point in making a reservationNikkiDined on 11/13/2014My friend and I were excited to try this restaurant, so I made a booking ahead of time to secure us a table. We turned up a few minutes before our reservation and were told the wait would be 15 minutes. We let them know we had a reservation, but that didn't seem to matter. After repeatedly asking the host when we would be sat, we finally were shown to a table thirty minutes after our reservation time, and only after demanding to speak to a manager and pointing out that I was seven months pregnant. The manager came over to our table and said we hadn't been sat at our reservation time because they were trying to not seat the table near the bar, as they were noisy. We pointed out that we would have appreciated an option of sitting vs. waiting at the bar. After the stress of the first thirty minutes, it was hard to save the meal. The food was fine, but nothing to rave about.
- Delicious food!Cam680Dined on 11/13/2014The curried Blue Bay Mussels and the flat bread with merguez sausage were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good flavors, can be noisyNofastfoodDined on 11/12/2014Noise level was high during a busy happy hour but soon moderated to a level where we could have conversation. Our group was pleased with the exceptional flavors of all our dishes, although both fish dishes ordered (tuna that was advertised as "rare" and salmon requested to be cooked medium-rare) were overcooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!KfontanezDined on 11/12/2014The noise level in our section was not a factor ar all. Great service, great recommendations - tasty dishes, what a pleasant experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below average got the priceEdge3831Dined on 11/11/2014At those prices there are many better options. My pork chop was enormous and overcooked. I went here out of convenience for location of every a client was staying. The oysters were pretty good but not great. Again based on what I spent I wouldn't say I will be chomping at the bit to get back there.
- Business lunchHungryLobbyistVIPDined on 11/10/2014Plenty of options for all, some good seasonal rotating items, surprisingly healthy, quick service without feeling rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food when it arrivesStillThirstyVIPDined on 11/9/2014Woodward Table creates excellent food but relies on a clown car of servers to deliver. I watched our appetizers languish on the line for over five minutes before they were rescued by the expediter and delivered. The server was very attentive to whether my husband might need another drink but ignored my empty glass. There was a lengthy delay between appetizers and entrees; when the finally arrived the entrees were delicious. Management must know service is an issue, because when a manager came by our table late in the meal, he merely collected empty plates and glasses, and did not ask how the evening was.
- Something for EveryoneJennie35Dined on 11/8/2014We went to Woodward Table before a show with our teenage son. It had a great variety of items from informal to more formal menu items. The service was attentive and the restaurant was attractive. My steak was just great, perfectly cooked and great meat. Hushpuppies perhaps overcooked and our flatbread was not that special because I think we chose the toppings badly, but it had potential. The desserts were both very good. The apple tart great. Wine prices were three or four times what you would find in a shop. However, perhaps all standard. We would go again.
- good experienceswxxDined on 11/7/2014Food and service, great. we were seated near bar/ front...too noisy for business lunch discussion. My first time there, would go back. Not sure if back area would have been quieterSpecial Features:
- Superb foodDCVisitorVIPDined on 11/5/2014The food at Woodward Table far exceeded our expectations! From the chips and horseradish dip to the shrimp and grits to the scallops (which had a terrific short ribs surprise accompanying!), the food was just wonderful. We had a great dinner. A happening place!Special Features:
- Nothing particularly special hereDCDinerVIPDined on 11/4/2014My companion and I had lunch. Unfortunately, the server seemed to be having a bad day, which made the experience less pleasant than it would normally be. The food was good, but not great. The large kale salad had teeny, tiny bits of other things in it that were so overwhelmed by the kale that they almost disappeared. The fish entree was pretty good. The warm rolls with the salted crust are excellent.
- DinerVIPDined on 11/3/2014Mushroom flatbread was delicious! Service poor though.
- Good food and seeviceMSBunnyDined on 11/2/2014The menu items are diverse and interesting. The donut holes with ice cream is a nice and unique finish to great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time bruncher!JEinDCVIPDined on 11/2/2014Excellent brunch w/ lots of choices that are 'breakfasty' and not. Coffee was good. Biscuit was delish. All that we had, esp. the side of greens, was superb. Special thanks to Aubrey who started the visit off so well.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceBBergVIPDined on 11/1/2014We'd never been to Woodward Table, and went for my birthday dinner on a strong recommendation from some "foodie" friends. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. By special request, the manager even brought a special plate of cookies (from WTF) for my birthday dessert. We will definitely be back!
- Terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2014We tried the Carolina Trout, the Tuna, the corned beef brisket, and the Gnocchi. Every dish was delicious, including the vegetables served along with them. Food was cooked perfectly, and the service was top notch. Only suggestion is they need to add more mid-priced wine to the menu as the selection was a bit steep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJBDCVIPDined on 10/29/2014My first visit to Woodward Table was for a dinner a few weeks ago and it was an outstanding dining experience. I was disappointed to return for lunch and find a significant drop-off in the quality of my meal. For example, the yeast rolls that were served warm on my first visit were served room temperature; the kale salad that I loved on my first visit had a fraction of the most flavorful elements (bacon, dates) that made the dish so delicious the first time I tried it. I also had an unpleasant experience of initially being shown to a table directly adjacent to the kitchen, which was both noisy and hot; when I asked for better seating, I was told that there were reservations for the (multiple) empty tables.Special Features:
- Woodward TableRosemaryDined on 10/25/2014I had been told about Woodward Table as a lunch spot but ended up going in the evening before the ballet. Excellent all the way around at 6:00 PM, as in not too noisy, nice setting and really great food. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good food, spotty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014We had lunch (group of 5) to celebrate the move of a colleague. The order for the side of macaroni and cheese either was not placed by the waiter or the kitchen forgot to make it. The waiter brought the wrong salad for one diner, who did not bother to send it back. All of the food was very good. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and can be a little noisy, but is reasonable for a nice business lunch.
- Very good first experience.JFroDined on 10/21/2014Went for lunch...staff was courteous, service was prompt, food was very well-made. A new go-to for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunch with clientDeborahDined on 10/21/2014Great service! I recently had back surgery and they made sure I had a comfortable table. Food great!! Very reasonable pricing. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunchSparrowhawkDined on 10/20/2014The food was superb, the service seamless. Had to ask to be moved away from the kitchen for a quieter table - but that was done quickly and efficiently. The perfect place for a business lunch - will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant choice for dinnersfoodloversDined on 10/19/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our two evening meals at Woodward Table and found the food really tasty and varied. They accommodated special requests and the service was friendly and very helpful. There was a good atmosphere in the restaurant - good decor and lighting - and a feel good factor. If we are in DC again we will certainly return!Special Features:
- EatMoreFishDined on 10/18/2014First visit. A lot of noise but we were seated at a rear table where it was tolerable. We waited 15 minutes for a waiter. Ordered a bottle of wine but one glass of the wine was delivered after another 10-15 minute wait. The mistake was pointed out but the bottle did not arrive until we were nearly finished with appetizers while we watched the waiter helping other tables. Tuna tartare and kale salad were outstanding as were the entrees of tuna and duck breast. Highly recommend all. The menu was so appealing it was hard to make selections. We will return based on the food and hope we just got a waiter having a bad night. We were billed for the single glass of wine, something that should have been compedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Okay Dining ExperienceMandyKDined on 10/18/2014Overall, we had a good dining experience. I had the scallops and short ribs dish, I enjoyed it but could not finish the dish because the short ribs were so salty on their own. Also, some of the minced veg in the short ribs (I was confused why they were there) some were cooked, and some were undercooked. My guests enjoyed their food, I tried the mac and cheese which was very enjoyable for my taste (not overly cheesed). I would say the biggest disappointment of the night was the sweet potato pie. We were expected something the consistency of a pumpkin, but received something more like an apple. The sweet potatoes were still crunchy, and I had a hard time eating it. For the price, I would hope to be raving about each dish.Special Features:
- salads and brisketyumm13Dined on 10/17/2014The salads were fresh and delicious... also the brislet was tender and melts in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was it worth it?LovetoeatDined on 10/16/2014The service was meh. The server was annoyed that we didn't know what we wanted and offered no suggestions. He was too busy to serve us? The food was ok. Got flatbread and the veggies were falling all over the place. The bread was floppy. The server tried to tell my colleague to try my flatbread b/c it was vegetarian. Um, sausage?!? Thankfully my colleague knew better. The one great thing the server did was bring out ice cream for our birthday colleague.
- Very good food, service, valueGeegVIPDined on 10/14/2014Had the appetizer sized kale salad with shrimp for lunch and it was very hearty. The service was friendly and sensitive to the time limitations my party had. It had been a while since I'd had lunch here, and I will now re-add it to my list of faves in the area.Special Features:
- no returnlovegreatfoodDined on 10/12/2014This restaurant was recommended by a friendso we thought we would try it out. The cooks were eating food and digging in their nose while preparing the food. However he did wipe his hand on a towel. Hindsight we should have just left the restaurant. The server wasn't attentive to our order. Overall just wasn't a pleasant dining experience.
- Great Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/12/2014At first blush the idea of an $18 bottomless seems steep in a city where you can find it for $10... GIRL... GO FOR IT! Where you usually get some premixed nastiness this place gives you AMAZING drinks each round! Additionally, you can swap between bloody mary and mimosa. After brunching with a friend I selected this place for my post wedding brunch... it was that good! The fact that the food was amazing didn't hurt!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu with loads of choices!BostonepbDined on 10/11/2014Lovely dinner. Very nice service. Dessert was only so-so but Bibb salad was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remarkable serviceEatwellVIPDined on 10/11/2014I've now eaten at Woodward Table twice, and on the most recent trip a waitress overheard me saying that I didn't care for my soup (too much celery, not my favorite). She insisted on getting me a new dish, and was extremely nice about how it was important for me to enjoy my food. I've never had anything like that happen before and would never have asked for a new dish so I was struck by her thoughtfulness. Overall, the food is very good - everything else that I've eaten there has been terrific and all the other people in my party thought it was wonderful. It can get pretty noisy during happy hour time, but overall, the ambiance is great and service terrific.
- menu on opentable is misleadingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014In the mood for good fried chicken AND wanting to try a restaurant we hadn't been to before, we decided to give Woodward Table a try. Our visit started out on a bad note when we found out that the menu on opentable was outdated and that the restaurant does NOT serve fried chicken. We settled for 2 burgers and a pulled pork sandwich. The sandwiches were good, but not worth the high prices. We did try the crayfish hushpuppies which we did not enjoy and did not finish. I don't recommend them. I don't recommend this restaurant. I do recommend, though, that they keep their menu updated on any sites they use to advertise their restaurant, especially when that site makes reservations for them.Special Features:
- parmigianoDined on 10/9/2014Noise level on a Thursday night was a little overwhelming though they were willing to move us to a quieter table. Took a long time for waiter to take drink orders and, for that matter, food orders. Eggplant humus and pita bread were excellent although when we asked for more bread it took several requests and about 20 minutes. Fish dishes were good (trout, tuna). Not sure I would rush back for another meal.Special Features:
- Excelent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014The food was wonderful. The wine list was lengthy. The service was excellent. The cheese tray was lacking in quantity. Try the duck and the any of the fish options.Special Features:
- CupcakeWonkVIPDined on 10/4/2014I was happily surprised about how great this brunch was. Service was not as exemplary as most people rave, but enjoyed a wonderful outside brunch with an explosion of unexpected flavors that fit perfectly together.Special Features: