1426 H Street NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.woodwardtable.com/
- Phone: 2023475353
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Joseph Harran
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Woodward Table
Jeffrey and Sallie Buben's Woodward Table, housed in the historic Woodward Building is a concept that exudes a timeless feel with neighborhood charm. Located just one block from The White House, Woodward presents a "table" of dining possibilities with two eateries...the main restaurant with its creative and diverse American menu and Woodward Takeout Food, a sprite artisanal alternative for breakfast and lunch. The soul of Woodward Table's cooking involves creating seasonal iconic American dishes, a chef's contemporary approach and a regional repertoire of ingredients. Woodward Takeout Food, aka WTF, adjacent to the restaurant, creates a quick serve American breakfast or lunch for the busy Washingtonian, available to eat in or take out. Woodward Takeout Food is like being in a good cook's kitchen...a venue of sights and sounds with the bakery of the entire restaurant located at one end. Smell the fresh baked bread and other concoctions as you place your ordContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Woodward Table reviews from OpenTable diners
265 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (122)great for lunch (93)good for groups (73)great for outdoor dining (63)special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (54)great for brunch (50)notable wine list (33)vibrant bar scene (31)hot spot (20)romantic (20)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (10)late-night find (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014Went on workday...had a reservation...had to wait about 10-15 mins for my table.Special Features:
- Great food - slow serviceMcPhersonManVIPDined on 6/9/2014Business lunch - great food but failed to replace the fries for a side salad; service - no attentinve; seemed short-staffed.
- woodward tablevienna6Dined on 6/8/2014former Potenza. food good, moderately priced. nothing very distinguishing , however, braised veal short ribs were impressiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place better find a hookIblaurajcVIPDined on 6/7/2014We went to Woodward table on a Sat night. The place was completely empty and seemed devoid of character although the closed takeout that's attached looked interesting. We ended up staying because I snagged the last available table outside and it was a beautiful night. Service was bad. Took forever to get a waiter. He meant well but I don't think was well-trained. He would drop off a drink and when someone else wanted to order one he was already gone. He never offered us wine which we had to ask for. Some dishes had big portions, some were small. The trout was good. The tuna poke appetizer was very good as was the food gras. Otherwise fair. Not bad though. They just better find an angle to attract people or they won't make it
- JanRJanRDined on 6/6/2014We started out with positive expectations based on several good lunches at WTF. However, at dinner the food was mediocre, service lacking, and overall it was not a good experience for the 4 of us.Special Features:
- Something for everyoneDessert1stDined on 6/4/2014A very nice menu with something for everyone. There were no misses among the many dishes we order.Special Features:
- ExcellentDCDinerVIPDined on 6/3/2014My three friends and I had a terrific dinner and fun evening. Wonderful food - hush puppies are a standout as was the beet salad and tuna starter. Dessert was winner all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for entertaining friends/worktravelguruDined on 6/3/2014The restaurant was bustling with people entertaining friends and business clients. It was a bit noisy, but that would be expected for the early crowd (7pm). It got quieter as the night went on. If you want a quieter romantic setting, this place may not be for you, although it might be later in the evening. We had great service and the food came out on time and hot. Food quality was excellent. We had the scallops dinner & the pan roasted bobo chicken. We also had the shrimp and grits appetizer that was amazing with the pork belly in it. Good selection of wines and beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kept waitingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/3/2014Seated five minutes after my reservation and eight minutes after arriving. Not acceptable.
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2014I have consistently found the greet staff at the front door to be oddly unfriendly and off-putting. The wait staff were yanking our plates out from under us before we were finished (this despite the fact that we were rushing and had very little time for lunch).Special Features:
- Brunching in the cityDeeDeeDined on 6/1/2014Unlimited mimosas always a plus, liked the traditional over the cherry option. Food was good but felt like limited options compared to other brunches around the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out on the TownFoodLoversDined on 5/31/2014We decided to try Woodward Table as we love Vidalia! When we arrived we noticed the restaurant had outdoor seating and requested to sit outside. The view from our table was amazing, looking down 15th St. at the Washington Monument. The noise level of downtown was at times noticeable, but was drowned out by a very eclectic selection of music they had playing which we really enjoyed. We started with cocktails and I highly recommend the Cherry Blossom. For appetizers we had the Tuna Poke, which has the perfect balance of flavors and tuna tasted so fresh and had a beautiful color. For dinner we had the Veal Porterhouse and Filet, both cooked perfectly along with simple sides done well. Dessert was the showstopper, WTF Donuts & Banana Pudding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great visitDCDinerVIPDined on 5/30/2014Had not been here in a couple of months and had the great fortune to be invited to a business lunch here. The food was excellent and the desserts!!! Killer Banana Pudding is a must. Liked it so much that we came back for a date night dinner that same evening. And it was another memorable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Disappointing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2014We sampled from all over the menu, including the small bites, appetizers, flatbreads, and cocktails. Food was all very very good. Service seemed inexperienced to the point of being unprofessional. Was very tough to track down waiter and/or busers. I went with my girlfriend and her sister who both commented that there were staff that stared and seemed to be pointing and commenting at them. Overall, the restaurant is great and i hope the service improves, but it was so bad that it will likely keep me from going back soon.Special Features:
- GreatMosh229Dined on 5/28/2014Great lunch spot downtown for both dining and take-out.Special Features:
- The following 523 reviews are from the Woodward Table reviews archive.
- Fantastic FindBigBabyG1Dined on 5/24/2014We had the best meal in Washington at the Woodward Table. Every course was great including desert. Try the banana pudding and the brown sugar bourbon bread pudding. Service was excellent and each course came promptly. Great wine selection. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014Went here for lunch with my coworker, and the service was terrible. It did not appear to be very busy, but it took us nearly 2 hrs to complete our meal, which consisted of a kale salad and a cheeseburger. Our server was never anywhere to be seen, and would not even allow for time to complain before running off again. We never even got his name. The food was fine, but if I am going to pay $17 during lunch for a burger, it had better be the best burger I've ever had. It was not. Don't bother with the doughnuts, they tasted more like soft pretzels, but the bread pudding was fabulous. All in all it was fine, but I won't be rushing back any time soon.
- Regular Lunch ChoiceJPJBDined on 5/21/2014Woodward Table always delivers. The food is very good and the menu is varied.
- A fantastic lunch with friends!MarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 5/21/2014I heartily recommend Woodward Table where the food is consistently delicious, the service attentive and the atmosphere relaxed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Woodward Table is spectacular!goodtastesDined on 5/20/2014My fiance and I celebrated our engagement, her birthday, and each other prior to my extended foreign travel and felt this was an absolutely perfect place to do so. The GM, Omar, was aware of our celebratory mood and made a solid effort in directing his staff to make sure our dining experience was superb in every detail. The ambiance of WT is classic and warm which made it a very comfortable experience and the menu was cohesive. I highly recommend WT to couples or families for celebrating a special event, and the bar scene seemed vibrant for singles. Four stars to WT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of a disappointmentNeighborVIPDined on 5/20/2014Given the fabulous reviews, I was disappointed in my meal. I had the kale salad and good luck finding any of the supposed other ingredients. The warm rolls are delicious and the atmosphere is certainly very nice.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/19/2014entrees lacked seasoning, flatbreads, small bites and dessert very good!Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialDaveSVIPDined on 5/18/2014On paper this place sounds great. In reality pretty mediocre. Better options in the neighborhood.
- Excellent restaurant/staffDMVliferDined on 5/17/2014We recently visited Woodward Table to celebrate my wife's 30th birthday. The staff outdid themselves from the very start, with the hostess wishing my wife Happy birthday before we were taken to our table. The attention to detail from the staff continued through our excellent meal. The food was excellent and what anyone would expect from a Buben owned restaurant. The space is large and can accommodate many groups w/ varying sizes without making you feel overwhelmed. The decor is warm and classy, but not overly formal. I dressed up some jeans but didn't feel out of place at all. We highly recommend this restaurant as a great overall destination for any sort of evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome fried chicken!Live2dineDined on 5/17/2014Friendly, good service, interesting taste combinations and awesome fried chicken made for a great meal. We had a group of 9 and the service and food were both great. Definitely coming back next time we're in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2014From a great happy hour venue we moved into an enjoyable dinner with friends we throughly enjoyed the meal and beverages! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entrees before drinks?!?!Tarragon888Dined on 5/11/2014I took my mom, my husband and my daughter to Woodward Table for brunch on Mother's Day hoping to have a enjoyable time. We were very disappointed with our experience and will not be returning. For starters, we sat for 10 minutes before someone came to take our drink orders. We decided to order food at the same time since we already knew what we wanted. 30 minutes later we get the flatbread but no drinks. Another 15 minutes go by and the entrees come out en mass and still no drinks. Not until after we mentioned our drinks to the attending manager did they finally arrive. Let me repeat that for prosperity - WE GOT OUR ENTREES BEFORE OUR DRINKS. Need I say more?
- Fantastic dinner!FitfoodieDined on 5/9/2014We celebrated my birthday dinner at Woodward Table yesterday and found the drinks, food and service to be outstanding. My 12-year old son also enjoyed his meal and this is a great restaurant for grown-ups and children without sacrificing the quality that we adults have come to expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCDinerVIPDined on 5/9/2014Good food! Had the kale salad with dates, apples and bacon. It was very fresh and light but could have used some more dressing. The flatbread (crab with artichokes, spinach and onion) was delicious! The crust was thin and flaky and the toppings were fresh (although it needed some more crab). I'll definitely be back! Waiter was awful. He never checked in to refill water, see if we needed anything, etc. and we had to flag him down to get our check, despite the fact that the restaurant wasn't crowded. The hosts weren't great either. They didn't do anything specific; they just weren't friendly or welcoming. And I interacted with 2 sets of hosts because I had to go back to pick up something I forgot after lunch.Special Features:
- Lunch spotVinyardboundVIPDined on 5/6/2014Wanted a convenient spot close to McPherson Square and Metro Center. Woodward Table was an excellent choice. Fresh local ingredients, great service and wonderful ambiance - get choice if you are meeting friends in town for the day or business lunch.Special Features:
- Outdoor table!BillDined on 5/3/2014My table was ready promptly at the correct time. I selected a table outside along 15th. The street noise level detracts from the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love their food...service not goodLunchtimeVIPDined on 5/2/2014Good is great esp the fries...don't sit in the bar area if you want service...the bartender waits on the tables in the area and he is not attentive whatsoever. I will make sure I don't sit there next time...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointingNewFanVIPDined on 5/1/2014Read great reviews of this restaurant so made reservations for a Thursday dinner. Ordered Shrimp & Grits as an appetizer. The shrimp were wonderful, good size, well cooked. The grits were so sparse as to be not more than a garnishment. The fried trout was overly breaded and overly cooked. Maybe Thursday is left to the "B" team chefs. We probably should have sent this dish back. The second entre, lamb confit, recommended by the waitress, was quite good: meat tender enough to fall off the bone,very flavorable. Dessert menu was ho- hum so we passed. After dinner cappuccinos, also ho-hum. This restaurant has a lot of competition from Joe's Seafood just opened across the street. Now that I've been to both, I'd go back to Joe's.Special Features:
- Pleased but not impressedKwillDined on 4/30/2014This was the second time dining here. The first was for restaurant week around lunch time. It was amazing. The second time my family was in town. I made reservations through open table. We were a few mins late but they had overbooked anyway so we waited for about 15 mins. Not a problem and because of the wait they have us a free round of drinks. We ordered but when the food came out they forgot my order. The waiter said it was his fault not the kitchens and comped us another round of drinks. The food was amazing like I had remembered. I ordered the salmon and my cousin had the ahi tuna. Both wonderful. I do recommend the restaurant but on a Tuesday night it was extremely busy. Make reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were excellent!LittleRockDined on 4/30/2014The waiter and food were absolutely wonderful. The restaurant was extremely noisy with old rock music blaring over the overhead speaker. There were also lots of large groups throughout the restuarant who were not sensitive to other patrons in the restuarant. Restaurant staff did offer to move us (without us having to request this) but we didn't think moving to another loud part of the restaurant was help.
- Great spot for Birthday CelebrationFabulous2dineVIPDined on 4/28/2014Service was impeccable! Great food and a nice place to celebrate coworker's Birthday!Special Features:
- Great find close to White HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/27/2014Great restaurant with very friendly service a few blocks from the White House. Very friendly staff. Menu with wide variety. Everything we ordered exceeded our expectations. Save room for the banana pudding - outstanding. Will be on our list every time we go DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunchWGL1VIPDined on 4/26/2014We enjoyed the brunch and espcially appreciated that we weren't rushed. It was a great place to meet people from out of town and relax and chat. Would go again and I am curious to try it for dinner.Special Features:
- PortionsJaneDined on 4/25/2014The quality of ingredients and cooking were excellent but at the price of small portions. Bring an appetite or order an appetizer. An entre won't cut it for a hungry stomachSpecial Features:
- Food was so so.....SteakLoverVIPDined on 4/25/2014I went there for a business lunch and had the crab cakes....food was less than average, at least that one time I've been there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.