Woods Restaurant & Bar
45 Colborne Street
Toronto, ON M5E 1E3Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
CanadianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Woods Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.woodsrestaurant.ca/
- Phone: 4162149918x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French, Canadian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Woods Restaurant & Bar
This special spot is a bucolic celebration of the best of Continental, French, Italian and — natch — Canadiana. As elegant as it is natural, Woods Restaurant serves up seasonal, sustainable local ingredients in a space that is as authentic rustic chic as the day is long. Service of Canadian- and Mediterrean-influenced dishes (like wild buttery Digby scallops with brown butter cauliflower and melt-in-your-mouth Ontario lamb burger) is languid and efficient here, under the wooden branch and raindrop chandeliers and inside the flood of natural light painting the handsome wood interior in front- and back-window strokes. And owner Bruce Woods has furnished the 80-seat St. Lawrence neighbourhood proceedings with a serious international wine and craft-brew list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCanadian
Woods Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Downtown/ Financial District ›
Woods Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)special occasion (53)romantic (45)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (27)notable wine list (17)hot spot (15)great for lunch (14)late-night find (7)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- I would not returnOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2014While the service was fine, the food was not. The tuna was tasteless. The steak frites was a thick slap of gristly beef and huge wedges of potatoes (not frites), accompanied by oversalted wilted spinach. A weird "amuse bouche" of pasta carbonara preceded the starters. I do not recommend this restaurant nor will I return.
- Great serviceTdotfoodieDined on 9/5/2014Service was amazing and the owner or manager, not sure who it was, wa very polite and attentive. Food was unique and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new spotAwesomeDined on 9/3/2014Woods Restaurant exceeded every expectation I had. My girlfriend and I love to share meals so we get a taste of everything. We started with the Charcuterie and steak tar tar, we were then brought complimentary scallops which definitely brought up the excitement for our mains. For our entree's we had the spaghetti and bison meat balls and the duck breast (the fried scallions were a delightful addition). Finally for desert we had the raspberry macaronnade and the nanaimo bar cheese cake, both were a perfect end to our meal. We were brought complimentary ice wine to go with dessert as well. In the end it was around $140 which is incredible considering all the food we got along with a glass of wine each.Special Features:
- Very interesting experienceOrengoVIPDined on 8/30/2014The concept of having the food prepared right in front of you is very interesting. The wine selection could be improved however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special PlacePeony08Dined on 8/28/2014Maybe it was because it was my wife's birthday, but this is a romantic place for two people to dine if they're in love. The charcuterie is easy to share and to start a meal with an amuse bouche and end with a complimentary taste of chocolate made the Canadian entrees that much more special. Great bartender and it was nice to see an involved manager walking the floor and shaking hands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this place is underatedsteakloverVIPDined on 8/27/20144 of us were in for lunch and we all loved our food....solid portion sizes which is rare in toronto !! great dessert list which i plan on trying when i bring my wife back for dinnerSpecial Features:
- All in all pretty darn good!MauercDined on 8/16/2014The menu was interesting and had many options for me. I ended up having the tuna tartare (ask for a side of their homemade chips to go with it) - it was fresh and gingery. The main was chicken cordon bleu which was decent. Our waitress was lovely and gave us a small cheese plate complimentary. We had a great wine list and chose Cakebread Cellars which was very good.Special Features:
- mandyDined on 8/16/2014boyfriend took me there for my birthday, everything is good. i love the foie gras soooo much, they make it just perfect. i would love to go back and eat that!!!! the decor is so good!! wish they will add more stuffs or change a little bit on the menu once in a while though.Special Features:
- Great evening at WoodspsdoesdinnerDined on 8/15/2014Wanted a special venue for our wedding anniversary and Woods delivered. The food was fantastic and my wife commented that her meal was the best she's had in a very long time. We will definitely go back at some pointSpecial Features:
- First visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Food was good except for scallops. Was pleasantly surprised by an amuse and an unordered desert. Service was excellent. Decor was not changed much from previous life. Ambience is very good. Would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Really wonderfulanonymousDined on 8/7/2014I was very happy with my meal at Woods - the white gazpacho in particular was stunningly good. The restaurant is a beautiful space with a peaceful atmosphere, and the service was unfailingly attentive and courteous (particularly impressive in view that I was on my own, and significantly younger than most of the patrons). Very very highly recommended!Special Features:
- special place.mickschoiceDined on 7/28/2014Our 4th time and will continue to return. Have recommended restaurant to several people and received many thanks afterwards. we now bring special guests to dine with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sustainable seafood & great serviceNomaVIPDined on 7/26/2014I was so excited to see that all of their seafood was ocean wise. The organic beet salad was great, as was the yellowfin tuna. To top it off, our waiter was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab Find in the heart of downtownFabulousDined on 7/22/2014Exquisitely prepared dishes, having creative combinations of tastes and attractive presentations. I loved the wood boards, the lack of excess, the wide selection of totally different options. For example, the all Canadian specialties included a perfect green salad and a Quebec sautéed fois gras on toast. For Mains, my husband had a sensational lamb burger while I enjoyed a filleted Pickeral on cranberry- wild rice- risotto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liv2EatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Great food, good value and wonderful service. We were provided with complimentary salads while waiting for our entrees. The salad was great and very much appreciated. Will definitely come back again (unlike the restaurant that was previously in that location).Special Features:
- UtirDined on 7/18/2014We came here for a friends birthday, the service was absolutely amazing. Our waitress was kind, funny and she went above and beyond to give us an amazing experience followed by her recommendation to Pravda.Special Features:
- One of the best meals I've ever hadTimothyhcDined on 7/18/2014I recently celebrated my partner's birthday at Woods. What a treat! The food was beyond delicious and beautifully presented. We started with the Digby Scallops, Charcuterie and Smoked Fish Trio. I ordered the Lake Huron Pickerel and my partner had the Duck Breast. The meal was paired with a yummy bottle of red from their impressive wine list. Dessert was delicious and my partner's plate even came with a "Happy Birthday" message and candle. The staff definitely went above and beyond to make it a special evening for my partner. Our server was super friendly and the service was impeccable. No regrets - only wish we had more room in our tummies to try even more dishes! The space is beautifully decorated as well. Perfect for a romantic meal.Special Features:
- Lunch at Wood's Restaurant & Barluv2eatDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant is definitely a restaurant we will return to. It was fantastic. Food was great, service was extremely friendly and prompt. It definately is a restaurant I will recommend for company functions. I had tuna tartar with three (3) oysters. Was great!! Overall the experience was outstanding. Hard to judge what the noise level would be as there were not many people in the restaurant for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fois notwithstanding Faux Pas!ChoosiefoodieDined on 7/5/2014In selecting Woods to celebrate my husband's birthday, one criteria outweighed all others...the presence of seared Foie gras on the menu- his absolute favorite. That, and being qualified as one of top 10 best new restaurants in Toronto according to Toronto Life, my bible for all recommendations in this incredibly city with unmatched dining options. Upon arrival at the previous Colborne Lane restaurant (another one of our favorites), we were ushered to one of few tables for 2 not quite the cost table I'd requested on OT- I was happy to let it go. Adding to my annoyance was the wait for our drink orders. Many wait staff dote on one table while others go unnoticed. Seared foie was indeed the highlight. All else was good, not great.Special Features:
- Absolutely perfectTribble444Dined on 7/3/2014Ive never felt compelled to blog about a restaurant until I took my fiance to the Woods. This restaurant has absolutely delicious food, service, and cocktails. Was a perfect evening and I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- ZEatsDined on 7/3/2014Excellent food and service. I would highly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/3/2014Amazing meal with exceptional attention to service by Elaine and her colleagues. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for business lunchjamjrDined on 7/3/2014Very quite, private, non intrusive service that made for an effective venue to has a private business lunch. To top it off the food was outstanding the the service excellent.Special Features:
- Awesome serviceMateoDined on 7/2/2014The service is outstanding and our server made sure that we have everything we need without us asking for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Anniversary EveningBrandy05Dined on 6/30/2014We celebrated a special anniversary with some friends. The menu is small but very good. Service is attentive and pleasant. Served complimentary port and wrote Happy Anniversary on the dessert plate which was lovely. The room was quiet enough so that we could have comfortable conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply fantastic!Food4BenDined on 6/26/2014Woods is my new favourite dining spot in Toronto. From fantastic staff who were patient and accommodating to our party's many demands (vegetarian, no shell fish, gluten free) to the delicious menu (the duck was to DIE for) I can't wait for my next visit. The only one draw back was that it got a bit noisy but chalk that up to people just having a great time!Special Features:
- An elegant oasis.PeskyCanadianDined on 6/24/2014The extraordinary food is only outshone by the remarkable service. Our server had an intuitive and deft touch. I often take clients there for that reason. It is a hidden gem.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014First time there and loved it! The atmosphere was fantastic and the spaghetti with Bison meat balls were amazing! I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible MealfoodfiendDined on 6/20/2014Woods did not disappoint. It was my party's first time dining there and we were all impressed. Not only was the food incredible and a bit better priced than some of the restaurant's competitors, they gave us a complimentary charcuterie plate for no particular reason. The service was also top notch.Special Features:
- Rally impressedfoodieVIPDined on 6/14/2014It has been a while since we have been impressed by a new restaurant in Toronto. There were great choices on the menu. We both fish dishes, one had the halibut with kale and farro and one had the wild salmon. When did clean healthy food taste and look so good. We were very impressed. The desserts were delicious and creatively presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Canadian delightHenryDined on 6/14/2014Woods is an adventure in local food and produce. Every step of the meal was an exceptional exploration of what local Ontarian and Canadian food producers can bring to the table. The menu offered unsuspected possibilities. The staff were well informed and were able to give detailed explanations for each proposed dish. There were no annoying questions about how good everything was. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed with the ServiceCrownRoyalDined on 6/13/2014We made a reservation at Woods for a Friday night. We arrived to find our table not ready, so we were seated at the bar. Not too disappointed to enjoy a pre-dinner drink, the wait took a little longer. No worries! We were treated to a charcuterie plate, gratis, as an apology. THAT is great service. The staff was very attentive to our wait and needs, although we did not even outwardly complain. The drinks were very nice, and we found the food to be excellent. 5 star service - it wasn't perfect, but they acknowledged it and made it right, which is all you can ask for in my opinion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frequent visitor, big fanHalfcorkedDined on 6/13/2014I have been to Woods times for different occasions and appreciate the service as well as the quality and consistency of the food. I have tried many of the dishes on their menu and whenever I go with a group the table always makes a diverse selection, so I would say they do everything well given the positive response received at the end of the night. The lamb burger with fries is my favourite and I always start off with the green organic salad. The duck breast is my second choice depending on mood and the soup topped with duck confit is always tempting.
- Great lunchFoodieDined on 6/13/2014Went for lunch and thought both service and food were great. Will definitely be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SurpriseRolandDined on 6/6/2014Celebrated a friend's birthday. Have not been to Woods before. The food was very fresh and tasty, and well presented. The appetizer- scallops was exceptional. The yellowfin tuna and the pacific cod was well done and tasty. The only food disappointment was the cheese plate for dessert - portion was too timid and not innovative enough - would have preferred more artisanal cheeses from Quebec, France and England. Loved the restaurant decor! Waiter unfortunately did not know enough about wine-pairing with meal and was not attentive enough.Special Features:
- Disappointing Food ExperienceEnlightenVIPDined on 6/6/2014The space is lovely and the service very attentive. All dishes at our table however were overcooked and a bit dry.Special Features:
- WoodsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Met all expectations and exceeded them in all categories. From great service to great food I was more then satisfied at the end of my meal. Going with the pacific cod I couldnt have made a better decision.Special Features:
- Book off your whole afternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/3/2014In a quarter filled restaurant appetizers came over 1 hour from ordering. One of the longest waits for food I have ever had. If this place hires a few more employees it could be great. Stay away for lunch.
- Consistent and specialMauriceVIPDined on 6/2/2014I have dined here several times, and have found the service and food to be consistently excellent.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceArpiDined on 5/29/2014Excellent, professional, friendly service. Food was high quality and a memorable taste experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.