293 Palmerston Ave
Toronto, ON M6J 2J3Neighborhood:
Little Italy / College St.
CanadianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.woodlottoronto.com/
- Phone: 6473426307
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Vegetarian, Canadian
- Executive Chef: David Haman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Negotiable
A word from Woodlot
Woodlot Restaurant offers honest and simple handmade cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCanadian
Woodlot reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (123)neighborhood gem (93)special occasion (65)romantic (48)great for outdoor dining (48)notable wine list (36)hot spot (30)good for groups (26)late-night find (15)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Fresh and DeliciouskikiDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant takes pride in using fresh products that are in season. The food is obviously prepared with pride, care and creativity. The friendly staff was quick to explain the menu, the homemade items and wine list. As the evening wore on, and the restaurant was filled to capacity the noise level rose a bit higher than I would like. Nice to see a neighbourhood venue doing well with their clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish we had a better experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We travelled from Stoney Creek and were really excited to try this restaurant. We were late due to bad traffic and when we arrived the waitress was minimally polite and short with us. Thankfully I had done research beforehand because the waitress did not explain the vegetarian menu versus the regular menu. We observed other couples receiving a proper introduction to the resteraunt and we did not get the same treatment. It was obvious the chef had professional training and everything blended together nicely. The food was unique and delicious, but not something we would want too often. We enjoyed our appitizers and my boyfriend loved his steak but I don't think we will be returning because the service really effected our experience.Special Features:
- Fantastic Vegetarian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014My friend and I ate here for her birthday, and our entirely vegetarian meal was superb. The flavour combinations and use of herbs were amazing, the cocktails were delicious and the service was quick and friendly. We were also impressed by the number of veggie choices available. The food is very creative and high quality. the meat options- which they have- also looked great. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodsoodarooDined on 8/24/2014Loved this restaurant. Some of the best food I've had in years and this includes Michelin starred restaurants in NYC. Casual elevated dining for sure. We had an all vegetarian menu - the sourdough agnolotti was the best al dente pasta i've had, the mushroom appy was awesome - so smart and well-balanced. We need more places like this.Special Features:
- Handcrafted PerfectionThatsNachoCheeseDined on 8/20/2014Every detail of your woodlot experience will be made from scratch, have rich earthy flavours, and will leave you checking your calendar to plan your next reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinner!fabfoodDined on 8/20/2014We were pleasantly greeted upon arrival. Service was prompt and our server was knowledgeable about the menu and friendly. Food was plated beautifully and was absolutely delicious. Servings were generous. A perfect dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take your friendsDineswithfriendsDined on 8/20/2014We needed to seat a group of 7, and we wanted a menu with vegetarian options for some of our group, great food and great ambience, and a great neighbourhood to show off Toronto to visitors. Woodlot delivered on all fronts. We sat at the chef's table, which gives a combo of almost-on-the-patio and right by the vibrant kitchen and fascinating mosaic covered bread oven. Our server took time to explain and answer the myriad questions we had. We went for the prix fixe - $45 per person for a starter and a main and then you share a selection of sides. I highly recommend it. Woodlot has a whole separate vegetarian menu, and the menu is included in the prix fixe option. The food was excellent. We highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it.MtlerinTODined on 8/19/2014Very competent and friendly service. Very well executed, fresh, local food. Will definitely be going back. We mentioned in passing we thought the sides were a touch salty for our taste and they took them off the bill, even though we ate every morsel. And they comped our desserts! Wow! We insisted that wasn't necessary, we just don't salt our food much, but they persisted. Needless to say, left a huge tip. We were there with our 7 year old who also loved it and who was made to feel completely welcome. Great, informal place for everybody, with A+ food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty and noisyRobandBDined on 8/18/2014I have been to Woodlot 3 times for business or most recently pleasure as friends gave us a gift certificate. I wouldn't spend a dime of my own money on this place. The acoustics are lousy, the waiter a little too cool for school and the food was mediocre especially given the price. The ribs were tasty but salty, the greens were really bitter and salty and the steak was drowned in butter. And I feel I'm a fair and reasonable patron so i am sorry to sound harsh. Sadly, it just isn't worth it especially given the room is not exactly relaxing after a long day.Special Features:
- Delicious and FunRuthDined on 8/17/2014The food at Woodlot is terrific. It is both creative and tasty. Also a great variety to choose from. The ambience is lively and relaxed and although a bit noisy is much less so than most restaurants these days. We could comfortably talk among the seven of us at the table. Definitely a fun and delicious dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!TaraPepperDined on 8/17/2014We went for my son's 25th birthday. It was EXCELLENT! Such fantastic tastes ... such great service. A huge thank you to Woodlot for making the evening special.Special Features:
- Great Locally Sourced FoodUrbanHermitDined on 8/16/2014I was very impressed with this restaurant. The place is pretty small so that makes for a nice cozy atmosphere. The appetizers in particular were fantastic. My only regret is that I the fantastic appetisers filled me up tremendously so I was pretty full for my main. The sevice was friendly and not at all intrusive. They were also all extremely knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Delicious and innovativeDareatsDined on 8/15/2014We've dined at Woodlot several times and it does not disappoint! Dishes are equally unique and delicious. Restaurant has a lively ambience while still feeling laid back. Kale salad, polenta fries and desserts are a must! Definately one of my fave places to dine in T.O.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best bread in TOottawafoodiesDined on 8/15/2014Our second visit here. The food was fantastic, fun, and of course the in-house baked bread is divine. Menu changes regularly, so you won't have the same experience twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & veg-friendlychicagogirlDined on 8/15/2014Woodlot is cute & casual, but I ate at the bar & the seats are uncomfortable--small, hard, & backless. If it's a strategy to prevent people from lingering too long after eating, then bravo! Mission accomplished. The Aperol cocktail I began with was okay, however, my dinner was tremendous. I had the small portion of stuffed agnolotti, which was lovely, & the side of rapini. The rapini was among the best I've had die to the added zing of chili. I finished with the chocolate cheesecake, which tasted okay but was too dense/heavy. They provide traditional & veg menus to each guest. I don't know why they aren't incorporated into one menu, but it's nice that it's not an afterthought. It's rather expensive for what it is, but I'd still be back.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Loved my first time at wood lot. The food was delicious, the space warm and welcoming. Our server was very helpful and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemSL101Dined on 8/11/2014A friend introduced me to this restaurant and I'm glad she did because its location is a bit off the beaten path. Food is great, love the industrial open kitchen/bakery concept and there's a full separate menu for vegetarians. The space is small but well designed so that you never feel cramped. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningtorontodiningDined on 8/4/2014Our first time at Woodlot, we found the meal sumptuous, from the grapefruit martini to the spaghetti and meatballs to the decadent marshmallow topped chocolate cheesecake. The warm kale salad was a particular delight. The dark, woody space lent itself well to a comfortable, inviting dining experience. A gift of bread as we were leaving the restaurant put a nice finishing touch on a perfect evening. We will return to enjoy a meal again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excessively long wait to eat!goodeatsDined on 8/3/2014The food here is excellent but no meal is enjoyable when you have to wait for hours to eat it. 8:30 reservation, wine arrived at about 9:00, appetizers at 9:45, mains at 10:45. This is unacceptable. The server was understanding and apologetic but the kitchen appeared to be in no hurry. I used to recommend this restaurant but can no longer - you have lost a neighbourhood regular.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014We were in from out of town and were looking for a restaurant with a fun vibe and great food. Woodlot did not disappoint. We are both vegetarian, and, we initially selected Woodlot as they had a separate menu dedicated to these offerings. First, the food was amazing. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and helped us select items based upon our likes. Our favorite dish was the Roasted Corn and Marscapone Stuffed Anglonotti. As others have noted, speed is not Woodlot's focus, the food is. Be prepared to wait a bit, order a cocktail and enjoy the vibrant atmosphere upstairs. If you are a party of two, ask for table 30, you get a great view of the downstairs and kitchen.Special Features:
- Great food - but so noisy!gourmandVIPDined on 8/3/2014Wonderful to have original vegetarian options - the appetizers are terrific and tofu dish excellent. Others enjoyed the pickerel - flaky & light. Portions are a good size. Wine list is disappointing. The experience was spoiled though by the loud music in an echoy space - the waiter could not even hear our order! Even after we requested it be turned down, it was still too loud. The patio wold have been better.
- Great and room for improvementmotodarcyDined on 8/2/2014Your appetizers were nothing short of delicious and different. - Ember Grilled Hen-o’-the-Woods Mushrooms & Fresh Italian Burrata and Heirloom Tomato Salad. Loved it. I also loved the Roasted Corn and Marscapone Stuffed Anglonotti. The Russet Potato Gnocchi, in my and my companion's opinion, left something to be desired. Not a lot of taste or texture. The bottle of Domaine La Montagnette 2012 (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre and Carignan) we had was also very good with the meal. Service was cordial, polite and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at WoodlotElstonVIPDined on 8/2/2014Went here because the menu looked good and really like their focus on local quality ingredients. But the fruit flies destroyed the experience. They really need to do something about that.
- Great food! Very poor service!LeahfoodDined on 7/31/2014Food was awesome! Service was terrible! We ordered several glass of wine and I complained that the glass I was served 1st was different than the one served 2nd. The waitress argued with me and was increditable rude!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious off collegeEating4lifeDined on 7/29/2014Just south of college, tucked into slit level space with the kitchen out front, the bar under the dining area, woodlot's attention to service and food quality make it a must try. Great wine list and diverse menu. Delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuJeepsRuleDined on 7/29/2014The food was excellent and the service was good and very friendly. Only suggestion would be to have a table map on there reservation site. Felt a little stuck in the corner because we were a twosome and most the larger tables had preferential locations. Great experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & Casually RomanticsummertimebrunchinDined on 7/28/2014Great spot to host a romantic dinner for two without all the white table cloths and extras. Food was both extremely detailed and flavourful - highly recommend the ribs, warm kale salad, gnocchi and rapini! Staff was extremely attentive and warm, and even though we did not order dessert as we were too full, my fiance was brought out a small dessert with a candle for his birthday which i thought was a classy touch! Thank you to Woodlot for a great night!Special Features:
- Great placeellenDined on 7/26/2014The decor is fun--industrial but not impersonal. Having both a vegetarian and meat-containing menu is a great idea, and the dinner selections were innovative with unusual herbs and spices. The bread, baked on site, is a high point. The service was another strength. We will definitely be coming again and bringing out of town guests.Special Features:
- good food, slow serviceapbarrosDined on 7/25/2014Went there in a group of 6 for dinner. Everything was good, although nothing really outstanding. Portions a bit too much on the smaller size (my wife's Pickerel looked like a plate you would see from Canoe and other high end places). The real issue was the service, that was very slow. Waiter was very pleasant and courteous, but everything we ordered took a long time to come to the table; it took 30 minutes for our appetizers alone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great setupRazasidDined on 7/21/2014I remember when this place used to be a nightclub (yes, I am old) a few years ago. It is essentially a garage converted to a nightclub which was then converted to this restaurant. This makes for a casual setting with an airy, well ventilated, open space concept. The chairs and tables are made of real wood but not very comfortable to sit in for long periods of time, which is key in a restaurant that takes ways too long to bring your food. The service staff were very friendly however not very attentive. As I mentioned, we waited a while to get our food, but struggled to get some bread and butter to our table while waiting. The food (including pastas and starters) was great but overpriced for what is was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Woodlot deliversOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014Very good. As a professional cook and traveler I applaud Woodlot on the quality and style of it's bread - worth the trip alone. Staff is warm and welcoming from the moment you enter. Wonderful atmosphere and smokey aroma is comforting and also whets the appetite. The food is very well prepared, served at the correct temperature, very nicely presented. Above all the flavour impresses and is well developed and seasoned, so as to leave a depth and length of finish on the palate. The pickerel, pork chop and flat iron steak are exceptional. The vegetarian menu was the initial draw, and it was very good, but the stuffed tofu could be more flavourful. Cheesecake is amazing. Cheese board has the best garnishes I've seen, but needs more cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experience @ WoodlotNewFanDined on 7/19/2014I love dining at Woodlot. It's great for special occasions or date nights. And as a vegetarian, I ADORE their separate vegetarian menu. It's nice to feel like I'm not an afterthought at an upscale restaurant. I highly recommend this place. Great food, great ambiance, and great service.Special Features:
- Good but not impressivePeterPanDined on 7/18/2014There are a lot of good reviews about this restaurant, so my expectation was high. The service was OK. Food was good but overpriced compared to quality. The restaurant was very noisy and the tables were to closed together.Special Features:
- Food surpassed the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/15/2014Old friends went to catch up. Excellent, varied menu that was also very vegetarian-friendly. We were adequately filled with sharing the appetizers, having an appetizer portion first course, and then a full main course. Food was outstanding!! Very tasty. Unfortunately, service was amateur at best: we had a reservation, were led upstairs, but were stopped midway when the server realized that our table wasn't free we ordered 4 appetizers to share amongst the 5 of us; wait-staff should have recommended ordering 2 of a couple of those appetizers, because they would be impossible to share amongst 5. (We also each ordered a smaller "main" and then a true main) drinks took 25 minutes to arrive after ordering long delay between apps and mainsSpecial Features:
- More mushrooms! And tequila!DelAwareDined on 7/15/2014The waiter was very gracious and made a tequila cocktail we had had before that was no longer on the menu. Mushrooms were outstanding as always and we tried the polenta fries which were delicious. We had a lovely pickerel dish and split everything - they kindly gave us two plates for dishes. Only disappointment was the salad which had a dressing that tasted of mustard and not much else. I really like sitting outside as it's comfortable and relatively quiet. A great spot.Special Features:
- Great food, good peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/13/2014Outstanding meal capped only by the engaging wait staff who talked charmingly about a host of things and knowledgeably about the food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Dinner was great. Would happily go back again and again. Great beer selection. Thoughtful and accommodating staff.Special Features:
- A lovely eveningBoudiccaDined on 7/12/2014The food was great. Care was taken in the prep and the flavours were well-balanced. Small but super delicious selection on the menu. The atmosphere of the restaurant is warm and vibrant, very enjoyable. Our server, while friendly and very personable, was maybe not as attentive as we'd have liked. We waited a long time to get drinks refilled and didn't get to order our main course until we'd been sitting at the table for well over an hour. There was also a mixup with one of our orders, which had to be sent back and redone. There was a group of us and so it was fine, we just chatted and enjoyed the patio, but there was definitely room for improvement in this area. Overall, a great experience and I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent.dinetimeTODined on 7/7/2014My partner and I are big fans of Woodlot, and it's always a pleasure to eat there if we're celebrating a special occasion. On our recent visit, they outdid themselves. Our food was incredible, the service was efficient and polite, the atmosphere was one of a kind. We were having dinner with close friends, and I think it's safe to say that all four of us were blown away. I would highly recommend giving Woodlot a try. In my experience, it has consistently been incredible.Special Features:
- Recommend WoodLot? I would, a lot.Toronto26Dined on 7/5/2014Table for two, late on Saturday night. Fantastic. Very friendly servers (even if they forgot to top up our wine...who really cares?), fabulous, unique food in perfect portions. Nice to be able to choose appetizer size or meal size for the pastas. Superior ingredients and flavour blends. Would describe it as "Canadian Woodland Gourmet". Great ambiance with no attitude. They gave us a delicious loaf of bread to take home for breakfast the next day. Highly recommend WoodLot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.