293 Palmerston Ave
Toronto, ON M6J 2J3Neighborhood:
Little Italy / College St.
CanadianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.woodlottoronto.com/
- Phone: 6473426307
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Vegetarian, Canadian
- Executive Chef: David Haman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Negotiable
A word from Woodlot
Woodlot Restaurant offers honest and simple handmade cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCanadian
Woodlot reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)neighborhood gem (95)special occasion (65)romantic (53)great for outdoor dining (49)notable wine list (36)hot spot (30)good for groups (25)late-night find (16)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Vegetarian abundanceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014As vegetarian-almost-foodies we have resigned ourselves to choosing 1, maybe 2, options on most menus (especially at the intimate hipster places) - but at Woodlot we suffer the embarrassment of vegetarian riches! Thoughtful and charming ingredients on both the meat & veggie menus meant we felt like we were being treated as eating-equals. For a visiting young German relative it was the perfect place to introduce her to Canadian ingredients, smart vegetarian cooking and a very Gemütlich environment. The only down side was the very cold temperature inside (wore my outside jacket all night and it did feel a bit ungracious that none of the wait staff made any sort of comment - I was not the only one wearing a coat & scarf) and the noise volume.Special Features:
- GdfdymDined on 9/14/2014Crostini and mushroom salad for starters were very nice. The ribs just melted in your mouth and the warm kale salad was the perfect pairing. The selection of six delicious bites for desert, simply the best. Very delicious food with no pretension. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014I recently went back to Woodlot for the second time. The first time was on a first date with my current girlfriend. The experience was incredible, and I was excited to go back again for our 1 year anniversary. The food was excellent as always, but it was everything else about Woodlot that truly made it a wonderful experience. The ambiance is perfectly balanced, with the noise level being perfectly calm enough to speak in a regular voice to the person accross the table. The service was perfectly timed, and always attentive. I especially liked receiving wine samples to try because I was unsure about which wine would go best with my main course. The evening was perfect, and I look forward to going back again.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Woodlot was recommended to me by a friend and it was amazing!! The food was amazing and the wine suggested by the waitress was perfectly paired with the food. I recommend Woodlot.Special Features:
- Restaurant RickRestaurantRickDined on 9/9/2014We have returned to Woodlot several times for its rustic decor, cleverly crafted and well executed dishes and charmingly casual service. On this trip, service slid to unfocused and slow. When execution fails, casual comes off as too cool for school. The kitchen was out of our favourite Pickerel so we both chose Rainbow Trout, prepared with the Pickerel treatment. Nicely done! The Warm Kale Salad was remarkably remeniscent of Collard Greens, not one of our favourite tastes. We will regard this visit as a blip and try another visit.
- Always returning!TODinerDined on 9/9/2014Despite always looking for a new restaurant to try, we find ourselves regularly returning to Woodlot for a night out. Excellent and reliable service, great atmosphere and superb food. An absolute pleasure of a dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a really nice settingLorenDined on 9/7/2014Excellent vegetarian menu with some really interesting flavour combinations. The sourdough pasta in particular was excellent. To be highly recommended!Special Features:
- First TimerChefFanDined on 9/3/2014Ordered the following: - Ember Grilled Hen-o’-the-Woods Mushrooms: mushrooms themselves were excellent. Smoky, charred flavour. I ended up picking them out of the rest of the wild rice, black walnut, beet root and dill on the dish. - Chop of Whey Fed Pork: I was expecting melt-in-your mouth tenderness but, it was slightly dry and not as juicy as I had hoped. Loved the lollichop cut, though! - Stone Ground Polenta Fries: Perfectly salted and crisp. I can see myself just ordering a few batches of these to enjoy on the patio. - Chocolate Cheese Cake w/ graham, burnt marshmallow and fresh raspberry: nice, large portion size. The raspberry cut the sweetness of the chocolate perfectly. The burnt marshmallow was pleasantly sweet and gooey.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Hen o' the woods mushrooms? The most beautiful textures! Fresh angnolotti with corn butter? Soul-warming. I came here with my boyfriend; we both work in a busy fine-dining restaurant so we know the drill, and let me tell you we left very, very happy.Special Features:
- Fresh and DeliciouskikiDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant takes pride in using fresh products that are in season. The food is obviously prepared with pride, care and creativity. The friendly staff was quick to explain the menu, the homemade items and wine list. As the evening wore on, and the restaurant was filled to capacity the noise level rose a bit higher than I would like. Nice to see a neighbourhood venue doing well with their clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish we had a better experienceCuisineConnoisseursDined on 8/30/2014We travelled from Stoney Creek and were really excited to try this restaurant. We were late due to bad traffic and when we arrived the waitress was minimally polite and short with us. Thankfully I had done research beforehand because the waitress did not explain the vegetarian menu versus the regular menu. We observed other couples receiving a proper introduction to the resteraunt and we did not get the same treatment. It was obvious the chef had professional training and everything blended together nicely. The food was unique and delicious, but not something we would want too often. We enjoyed our appitizers and my boyfriend loved his steak but I don't think we will be returning because the service really effected our experience.Special Features:
- Great spotCasualfoodieDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I enjoyed a bottle of wine and a great meal at Woodlot. The service was very good, the food excellent and we really enjoyed the setting - they've done a great job organizing and designing the space - feels very casual yet upscale. Prices were very reasonable as well. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic Vegetarian FoodMarissaCoulterDined on 8/28/2014My friend and I ate here for her birthday, and our entirely vegetarian meal was superb. The flavour combinations and use of herbs were amazing, the cocktails were delicious and the service was quick and friendly. We were also impressed by the number of veggie choices available. The food is very creative and high quality. the meat options- which they have- also looked great. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodsoodarooDined on 8/24/2014Loved this restaurant. Some of the best food I've had in years and this includes Michelin starred restaurants in NYC. Casual elevated dining for sure. We had an all vegetarian menu - the sourdough agnolotti was the best al dente pasta i've had, the mushroom appy was awesome - so smart and well-balanced. We need more places like this.Special Features:
- Handcrafted PerfectionThatsNachoCheeseDined on 8/20/2014Every detail of your woodlot experience will be made from scratch, have rich earthy flavours, and will leave you checking your calendar to plan your next reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinner!fabfoodDined on 8/20/2014We were pleasantly greeted upon arrival. Service was prompt and our server was knowledgeable about the menu and friendly. Food was plated beautifully and was absolutely delicious. Servings were generous. A perfect dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take your friendsDineswithfriendsDined on 8/20/2014We needed to seat a group of 7, and we wanted a menu with vegetarian options for some of our group, great food and great ambience, and a great neighbourhood to show off Toronto to visitors. Woodlot delivered on all fronts. We sat at the chef's table, which gives a combo of almost-on-the-patio and right by the vibrant kitchen and fascinating mosaic covered bread oven. Our server took time to explain and answer the myriad questions we had. We went for the prix fixe - $45 per person for a starter and a main and then you share a selection of sides. I highly recommend it. Woodlot has a whole separate vegetarian menu, and the menu is included in the prix fixe option. The food was excellent. We highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it.MtlerinTODined on 8/19/2014Very competent and friendly service. Very well executed, fresh, local food. Will definitely be going back. We mentioned in passing we thought the sides were a touch salty for our taste and they took them off the bill, even though we ate every morsel. And they comped our desserts! Wow! We insisted that wasn't necessary, we just don't salt our food much, but they persisted. Needless to say, left a huge tip. We were there with our 7 year old who also loved it and who was made to feel completely welcome. Great, informal place for everybody, with A+ food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty and noisyRobandBDined on 8/18/2014I have been to Woodlot 3 times for business or most recently pleasure as friends gave us a gift certificate. I wouldn't spend a dime of my own money on this place. The acoustics are lousy, the waiter a little too cool for school and the food was mediocre especially given the price. The ribs were tasty but salty, the greens were really bitter and salty and the steak was drowned in butter. And I feel I'm a fair and reasonable patron so i am sorry to sound harsh. Sadly, it just isn't worth it especially given the room is not exactly relaxing after a long day.Special Features:
- Delicious and FunRuthDined on 8/17/2014The food at Woodlot is terrific. It is both creative and tasty. Also a great variety to choose from. The ambience is lively and relaxed and although a bit noisy is much less so than most restaurants these days. We could comfortably talk among the seven of us at the table. Definitely a fun and delicious dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!TaraPepperDined on 8/17/2014We went for my son's 25th birthday. It was EXCELLENT! Such fantastic tastes ... such great service. A huge thank you to Woodlot for making the evening special.Special Features:
- Great Locally Sourced FoodUrbanHermitDined on 8/16/2014I was very impressed with this restaurant. The place is pretty small so that makes for a nice cozy atmosphere. The appetizers in particular were fantastic. My only regret is that I the fantastic appetisers filled me up tremendously so I was pretty full for my main. The sevice was friendly and not at all intrusive. They were also all extremely knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Delicious and innovativeDareatsDined on 8/15/2014We've dined at Woodlot several times and it does not disappoint! Dishes are equally unique and delicious. Restaurant has a lively ambience while still feeling laid back. Kale salad, polenta fries and desserts are a must! Definately one of my fave places to dine in T.O.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best bread in TOottawafoodiesDined on 8/15/2014Our second visit here. The food was fantastic, fun, and of course the in-house baked bread is divine. Menu changes regularly, so you won't have the same experience twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & veg-friendlychicagogirlDined on 8/15/2014Woodlot is cute & casual, but I ate at the bar & the seats are uncomfortable--small, hard, & backless. If it's a strategy to prevent people from lingering too long after eating, then bravo! Mission accomplished. The Aperol cocktail I began with was okay, however, my dinner was tremendous. I had the small portion of stuffed agnolotti, which was lovely, & the side of rapini. The rapini was among the best I've had die to the added zing of chili. I finished with the chocolate cheesecake, which tasted okay but was too dense/heavy. They provide traditional & veg menus to each guest. I don't know why they aren't incorporated into one menu, but it's nice that it's not an afterthought. It's rather expensive for what it is, but I'd still be back.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Loved my first time at wood lot. The food was delicious, the space warm and welcoming. Our server was very helpful and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemSL101Dined on 8/11/2014A friend introduced me to this restaurant and I'm glad she did because its location is a bit off the beaten path. Food is great, love the industrial open kitchen/bakery concept and there's a full separate menu for vegetarians. The space is small but well designed so that you never feel cramped. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningtorontodiningDined on 8/4/2014Our first time at Woodlot, we found the meal sumptuous, from the grapefruit martini to the spaghetti and meatballs to the decadent marshmallow topped chocolate cheesecake. The warm kale salad was a particular delight. The dark, woody space lent itself well to a comfortable, inviting dining experience. A gift of bread as we were leaving the restaurant put a nice finishing touch on a perfect evening. We will return to enjoy a meal again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excessively long wait to eat!goodeatsDined on 8/3/2014The food here is excellent but no meal is enjoyable when you have to wait for hours to eat it. 8:30 reservation, wine arrived at about 9:00, appetizers at 9:45, mains at 10:45. This is unacceptable. The server was understanding and apologetic but the kitchen appeared to be in no hurry. I used to recommend this restaurant but can no longer - you have lost a neighbourhood regular.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014We were in from out of town and were looking for a restaurant with a fun vibe and great food. Woodlot did not disappoint. We are both vegetarian, and, we initially selected Woodlot as they had a separate menu dedicated to these offerings. First, the food was amazing. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and helped us select items based upon our likes. Our favorite dish was the Roasted Corn and Marscapone Stuffed Anglonotti. As others have noted, speed is not Woodlot's focus, the food is. Be prepared to wait a bit, order a cocktail and enjoy the vibrant atmosphere upstairs. If you are a party of two, ask for table 30, you get a great view of the downstairs and kitchen.Special Features:
- Great food - but so noisy!gourmandVIPDined on 8/3/2014Wonderful to have original vegetarian options - the appetizers are terrific and tofu dish excellent. Others enjoyed the pickerel - flaky & light. Portions are a good size. Wine list is disappointing. The experience was spoiled though by the loud music in an echoy space - the waiter could not even hear our order! Even after we requested it be turned down, it was still too loud. The patio wold have been better.
- Great and room for improvementmotodarcyDined on 8/2/2014Your appetizers were nothing short of delicious and different. - Ember Grilled Hen-o’-the-Woods Mushrooms & Fresh Italian Burrata and Heirloom Tomato Salad. Loved it. I also loved the Roasted Corn and Marscapone Stuffed Anglonotti. The Russet Potato Gnocchi, in my and my companion's opinion, left something to be desired. Not a lot of taste or texture. The bottle of Domaine La Montagnette 2012 (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre and Carignan) we had was also very good with the meal. Service was cordial, polite and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at WoodlotElstonVIPDined on 8/2/2014Went here because the menu looked good and really like their focus on local quality ingredients. But the fruit flies destroyed the experience. They really need to do something about that.
- Great food! Very poor service!LeahfoodDined on 7/31/2014Food was awesome! Service was terrible! We ordered several glass of wine and I complained that the glass I was served 1st was different than the one served 2nd. The waitress argued with me and was increditable rude!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious off collegeEating4lifeDined on 7/29/2014Just south of college, tucked into slit level space with the kitchen out front, the bar under the dining area, woodlot's attention to service and food quality make it a must try. Great wine list and diverse menu. Delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuJeepsRuleDined on 7/29/2014The food was excellent and the service was good and very friendly. Only suggestion would be to have a table map on there reservation site. Felt a little stuck in the corner because we were a twosome and most the larger tables had preferential locations. Great experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & Casually RomanticsummertimebrunchinDined on 7/28/2014Great spot to host a romantic dinner for two without all the white table cloths and extras. Food was both extremely detailed and flavourful - highly recommend the ribs, warm kale salad, gnocchi and rapini! Staff was extremely attentive and warm, and even though we did not order dessert as we were too full, my fiance was brought out a small dessert with a candle for his birthday which i thought was a classy touch! Thank you to Woodlot for a great night!Special Features:
- Great placeellenDined on 7/26/2014The decor is fun--industrial but not impersonal. Having both a vegetarian and meat-containing menu is a great idea, and the dinner selections were innovative with unusual herbs and spices. The bread, baked on site, is a high point. The service was another strength. We will definitely be coming again and bringing out of town guests.Special Features:
- good food, slow serviceapbarrosDined on 7/25/2014Went there in a group of 6 for dinner. Everything was good, although nothing really outstanding. Portions a bit too much on the smaller size (my wife's Pickerel looked like a plate you would see from Canoe and other high end places). The real issue was the service, that was very slow. Waiter was very pleasant and courteous, but everything we ordered took a long time to come to the table; it took 30 minutes for our appetizers alone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great setupRazasidDined on 7/21/2014I remember when this place used to be a nightclub (yes, I am old) a few years ago. It is essentially a garage converted to a nightclub which was then converted to this restaurant. This makes for a casual setting with an airy, well ventilated, open space concept. The chairs and tables are made of real wood but not very comfortable to sit in for long periods of time, which is key in a restaurant that takes ways too long to bring your food. The service staff were very friendly however not very attentive. As I mentioned, we waited a while to get our food, but struggled to get some bread and butter to our table while waiting. The food (including pastas and starters) was great but overpriced for what is was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.