293 Palmerston Ave
Toronto, ON M6J 2J3Neighborhood:
Little Italy / College St.
CanadianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.woodlottoronto.com/
- Phone: 6473426307
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Vegetarian, Canadian
- Executive Chef: David Haman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Negotiable
A word from Woodlot
Woodlot Restaurant offers honest and simple handmade cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCanadian
Woodlot reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (136)neighborhood gem (105)special occasion (81)romantic (62)hot spot (45)notable wine list (44)great for outdoor dining (36)good for groups (27)late-night find (18)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/23/2014The food was outstanding as were the wine choices. The mushroom starter and lamb shank were most excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/22/2014This was my 4th visit to woodlot and it's one of my favorite places to eat. The food is consistently delicious and service is always excellent. My only negative comment is the music...too loud!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian for the nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/20/2014I rarely have a vegetarian meal but after reading all of the rave reviews, I was very happy to have a most amazing dining experience as everything lived up to the expectations. Lots of unique flavors that made something as common as mushrooms really enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great for vegetarians!!TravelbugsDined on 10/20/2014Fabulous vegetarian offerings. Needs a better wine list with more Ontario varieties. Needs more after-dinner liquors selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fall PerfectionGrapesDined on 10/19/2014This was my second meal at Woodlot and it did not disappoint. We were a table of four and everyone seemed equally satisfied with their meal. For starters we had the hen-in-the-woods mushrooms, & crab toast (I am vegetarian so I can only speak to the vegetarian friendly meals), my main was the squash agnolotti and we shared sides of the polenta fries, rapini and kale salad. OOOh those polenta fries!! Delish. And the rapini was another of my favourites. I have to say the agnolotti was a bit bland for my taste but I'm sure you can't please everyone... The wine list is quite extensive and bravo for showcasing a ton of ontario wines! The atmosphere is absolutely lovely. I love the rustic feel... It's perfect for a fall feast.Special Features:
- Delicious! Just go now.Torontogirl31Dined on 10/17/2014Food was beyond expectations - both my boyfriend and I, who go out to dinner often, kept saying how good it was after each bite. Unique meals, incredible service. An ambitious, separate veg menu made me very happy (My bf said the lamb was the best he's ever had.) my only complaint - was a bit chilly. Bring a sweater, if you're going in the fall/winter. Incredible meal - we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodFrenchGirlinTODined on 10/17/2014the food was good, but it was a little noisy and the room was a little cold.Special Features:
- What a Memorable Meal in TorontoFoodNTravelDined on 10/17/2014This restaurant has a wonderful rustic charm. Our wait staff were intuitive and extremely responsive to our needs. The food was delicious and expertly prepared. I was very impressed that the entire staff went out of their way to deal with my particular food allergy, thus allowing me to relax and dine without concern. Although the restaurant buzzed with energy, we were able to easily enjoy our table conversation. Our meals were prepared in a wood-fired oven that added an amazing taste and generated a wood burning aroma that swirled throughout the restaurant, further adding to the cozy ambiance of our delicious, intimate Toronto evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014A little expensive for what you get. the portion size was very small and breaks the bank here. Would only come back for a special occasion.Special Features:
- IlityDined on 10/16/2014Excellent small menu, beautifully prepared and presented by knowledgeable friendly staff. A lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JjggVIPDined on 10/11/2014Super rustic ambiance and food was delicious, fresh, seasonalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting Food but NoisySeriousDinerDined on 10/9/2014Out for a special dinner we found the food quite good on the limited but interesting menu. Portions were ideally sized. Appetizers and mains were excellent, but as usual everywhere desserts missed the mark as they try to be too creative and forget about the comfort of simple traditional fare. An open kitchen that held some interest, but crowded an noisy. Not a place for romantic or thoughtful conversation. Wine and beer choice was also different, but liquor surprisingly limited - no drambuie or brandy. Service was a bit on the slow side. A fine place for an occasional and different experience as long as you don't mind vibrant crowds and too loud music in an interesting part of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!LoLaDined on 10/9/2014Check it! A friend recommended Woodlot and I'm so glad I went. Excellent homemade bread, fun environment/cozy, service was exceptional and food was good. Looking forward to next time.Special Features:
- Great Experience!FoodMavenDined on 10/5/2014We brought our mother to Woodlot for her 70th birthday dinner. Our server was lovely, attentive and knowledgeable. She was always available when needed and was incredibly patient with the many questions from my family. The Woodlot menu may seem small but it easily accommodates many tastes (I can attest to this as my siblings are very fussy eaters) and every dish we had was delicious! One small complaint was that my brother's pasta dish (tagliatelle) wasn't an even temperature, hot in the middle but cool on the outside like it sat in the kitchen window waiting on the other dishes. We had dessert plans elsewhere but our server made the end of our night perfect with some delicious sweet lemon madelines and a birthday candle for our mom.Special Features:
- Woodlot WOWfuschiabirdDined on 10/4/2014I often go for nice dinners in the city and it's very rare that I walk away and am amazed by the food and service. Friendly service, cozy atmosphere, knowledgeable staff and many delicious seasonal items on the menu (with plenty of vegetarian options). Ordered the mushroom starter, never eat bread but couldn't resist since it's baked in-house, had the sea bass which was cooked to perfection, shared polenta fries & rapini sides and ended with the sublime pumpkin pie. I loved both the food and the experience and I can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- :-)memorableDined on 10/4/2014:-) we will return. Thank you once again for a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeMikeDined on 10/3/2014Great menu, fresh food and the open kitchen is fun to watch, especially at the communal table.Special Features:
- Phenomenal FoodwoodsrupVIPDined on 9/29/2014The food and service was great and was sourced locally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014This was our second time at Woodlot. This time we came early on Sunday (5pm) and brought our 11-week-old baby (I told them when I made our reservation that we would be bringing her). The staff was super accommodating with her. Also, I'm vegan, and the server knew exactly what was (or could be made to be) vegan. It was great!Special Features:
- almost all greatdontgetoutmuchDined on 9/27/2014We were 4 and the service was excellent. The recommended wine was great and my sweet potato and chard anglonotti was spectacular. Other dishes were also excellent, but the gnocchi was just "good" and the breaded clam starter was more dried bread crumbs than anything else. I would take it off the menu. The restaurant hits the mark on many levels, but if it is to be considered in the elite, it needs to never miss.Special Features:
- Served by the ownermortgagejakeDined on 9/24/2014The night started off great when (we didn't know) our server was also the owner! He could not stop smiling and beaming with pride of his establishment, and rightfully so. The service was amazing, our server was great (after he left), really knew her wines and pairings, and the food. I had the ribs, fall-off-the-bone. Friends had steak, the tofu and agnaletti (SP) pasta. Overall a tremendous night out on a Wednesday, I've been there before and will definitely go back asap.Special Features:
- Good food and friendly serviceBiBiTiTiDined on 9/24/2014Originally a garage, the restaurant retained a lot of the rustic characteristics to create this new interesting two level space. We sat at a table on the upper level and was able to over look the kitchen and the famous wood burning stove. Menu is small so selection was limited but each dish was very well executed. The pork chop was the best I've ever had. Ribs and the meatball spaghetti were absolutely fantastic as well.Special Features:
- Oh what a night!BigbadcliffDined on 9/23/2014My vegetarian wife and carnivorous self decided to celebrate our fourteenth wedding anniversary with a nice dinner at Woodlot. What a meal! We started with the Yukon Gold and Scamorza Cheese Croquettes which were good but not outrageously fantastic...but that's okay. I ordered the 1lb of Dry Rubbed Wood Fired Ribs and wifey the Hand Cut Sourdough Spaghetti w/ san marzano tomato sauce, smoked mozzarella, basil and Parmesan and a side of Warm Kale Salad. Two words....WOW! Okay that was only 1 word. Sue me. Seriously some if the best food that I have ever had. The ribs were perfect! And as a big appetite boy....I was plenty full with the generous portions. We loved our drinks, we enjoyed our wait staff and we will be back!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedGigiDined on 9/22/2014We reserved at Woodlot on a friend's recommendation. Very casual but food is excellent. The wait staff was well informed and fun. Would only hesitate to recommend it to someone with hearing issues as it is quite loud when full but that is not a bad thing as everyone was having a great time.Special Features:
- The food is amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014The agnolotti was absolutely devine. Depending on what you order though, the "large" sized portions can be quite small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKMP1VIPDined on 9/20/2014Woodlot is the best restaurant in Toronto. The ambience is warm and inviting. The food is sensational: I had the pickerel which was the best dish I have eaten in Toronto in a while; my spouse had the spaghetti/meatballs: delicious. The starter of buratta and in season Ontario tomatoes was elegant to look at and scrumptious to eat. All in all, a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- my birthday dinner celebrationFarenheitDined on 9/20/2014It is my favourite restaurant in the city, cozy, rustic, low-key, fresh and amazingly tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique food, great atmospherekaskmiDined on 9/19/2014Came here for dinner with two friends. While it's a little more expensive, Woodlot is a treat. The menu is fairly small, but we tried almost everything and loved everything. The wood-fired ribs especially were killer - just fell off the bone and had such a delicious smokey flavour. The steak and fish also looked great, the appies were delicious, the cheese board and dessert sampler board - lovely. The atmosphere was dark and rustic yet modern with a good playlist.Special Features:
- Great NightpdhlondonDined on 9/18/2014We truly enjoyed every minute of the 2+ hours we spent at the Woodlot. We were greeted with warm smiles from the hostess and our server. The atmosphere was delightful -- even though the house was full the noise level was never distracting and we were able to carry on a conversation easily without having to raise our voices. The food was outstanding and the service was friendly, efficient, and helpful. We were particularly pleased to be able to order half-servings of our entrees. The prices were in the top tier, but the value was there so we did not feel that it had been an overly expensive evening or meal. I highly recommend the Woodlot to anyone looking for a unique dining experience and a pleasant night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at WoodlotLoveagoodmealDined on 9/16/2014I received a gift certificate for the Woodlot. Didn't know the restaurant beforehand. Thought I would give it a go. It was the best food I have had in 2014. Just coming back from 10 years in NYC and the food at this restaurant matches anything NYC can offer. What a pleasure dining there. The food was perfection. The music was a bit loud, but then I was the oldest diner there. Would certainly return.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gemab90Dined on 9/15/2014A friend and I had heard of Woodlot but had never been so we decided to give it a try and we loved it! We chose to eat off of the fixed menu which allowed us to try a whole bunch of different things. We got the croquettes and mushroom dish to start, and for our mains we got the sourdough pasta and meatballs and the pork. SO good! You can tell that the ingredients are high quality. Our mains were accompanied with 3 sides: the polenta fries, warm kale salad and the rapini. By ordering off of the fixed menu, you definitely get your moneys worth. We also got the treat board which is a must try since you get to sample a few mini treats! Service was great (with the exception of waiting ~20 minutes to pay) and would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian abundanceBitterosityGirlDined on 9/15/2014As vegetarian-almost-foodies we have resigned ourselves to choosing 1, maybe 2, options on most menus (especially at the intimate hipster places) - but at Woodlot we suffer the embarrassment of vegetarian riches! Thoughtful and charming ingredients on both the meat & veggie menus meant we felt like we were being treated as eating-equals. For a visiting young German relative it was the perfect place to introduce her to Canadian ingredients, smart vegetarian cooking and a very Gemütlich environment. The only down side was the very cold temperature inside (wore my outside jacket all night and it did feel a bit ungracious that none of the wait staff made any sort of comment - I was not the only one wearing a coat & scarf) and the noise volume.Special Features:
- GdfdymDined on 9/14/2014Crostini and mushroom salad for starters were very nice. The ribs just melted in your mouth and the warm kale salad was the perfect pairing. The selection of six delicious bites for desert, simply the best. Very delicious food with no pretension. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014I recently went back to Woodlot for the second time. The first time was on a first date with my current girlfriend. The experience was incredible, and I was excited to go back again for our 1 year anniversary. The food was excellent as always, but it was everything else about Woodlot that truly made it a wonderful experience. The ambiance is perfectly balanced, with the noise level being perfectly calm enough to speak in a regular voice to the person accross the table. The service was perfectly timed, and always attentive. I especially liked receiving wine samples to try because I was unsure about which wine would go best with my main course. The evening was perfect, and I look forward to going back again.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Woodlot was recommended to me by a friend and it was amazing!! The food was amazing and the wine suggested by the waitress was perfectly paired with the food. I recommend Woodlot.Special Features:
- Restaurant RickRestaurantRickDined on 9/9/2014We have returned to Woodlot several times for its rustic decor, cleverly crafted and well executed dishes and charmingly casual service. On this trip, service slid to unfocused and slow. When execution fails, casual comes off as too cool for school. The kitchen was out of our favourite Pickerel so we both chose Rainbow Trout, prepared with the Pickerel treatment. Nicely done! The Warm Kale Salad was remarkably remeniscent of Collard Greens, not one of our favourite tastes. We will regard this visit as a blip and try another visit.
- Always returning!TODinerDined on 9/9/2014Despite always looking for a new restaurant to try, we find ourselves regularly returning to Woodlot for a night out. Excellent and reliable service, great atmosphere and superb food. An absolute pleasure of a dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a really nice settingLorenDined on 9/7/2014Excellent vegetarian menu with some really interesting flavour combinations. The sourdough pasta in particular was excellent. To be highly recommended!Special Features:
- First TimerChefFanDined on 9/3/2014Ordered the following: - Ember Grilled Hen-o’-the-Woods Mushrooms: mushrooms themselves were excellent. Smoky, charred flavour. I ended up picking them out of the rest of the wild rice, black walnut, beet root and dill on the dish. - Chop of Whey Fed Pork: I was expecting melt-in-your mouth tenderness but, it was slightly dry and not as juicy as I had hoped. Loved the lollichop cut, though! - Stone Ground Polenta Fries: Perfectly salted and crisp. I can see myself just ordering a few batches of these to enjoy on the patio. - Chocolate Cheese Cake w/ graham, burnt marshmallow and fresh raspberry: nice, large portion size. The raspberry cut the sweetness of the chocolate perfectly. The burnt marshmallow was pleasantly sweet and gooey.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Hen o' the woods mushrooms? The most beautiful textures! Fresh angnolotti with corn butter? Soul-warming. I came here with my boyfriend; we both work in a busy fine-dining restaurant so we know the drill, and let me tell you we left very, very happy.Special Features: