293 Palmerston Ave
Toronto, ON M6J 2J3Neighborhood:
Little Italy / College St.
CanadianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.woodlottoronto.com/
- Phone: 6473426307
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Vegetarian, Canadian
- Executive Chef: David Haman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Negotiable
A word from Woodlot
Woodlot Restaurant offers honest and simple handmade cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCanadian
Woodlot reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (129)neighborhood gem (100)special occasion (70)romantic (55)great for outdoor dining (47)notable wine list (38)hot spot (37)good for groups (26)late-night find (17)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Phenomenal FoodwoodsrupVIPDined on 9/29/2014The food and service was great and was sourced locally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014This was our second time at Woodlot. This time we came early on Sunday (5pm) and brought our 11-week-old baby (I told them when I made our reservation that we would be bringing her). The staff was super accommodating with her. Also, I'm vegan, and the server knew exactly what was (or could be made to be) vegan. It was great!Special Features:
- almost all greatdontgetoutmuchDined on 9/27/2014We were 4 and the service was excellent. The recommended wine was great and my sweet potato and chard anglonotti was spectacular. Other dishes were also excellent, but the gnocchi was just "good" and the breaded clam starter was more dried bread crumbs than anything else. I would take it off the menu. The restaurant hits the mark on many levels, but if it is to be considered in the elite, it needs to never miss.Special Features:
- Served by the ownermortgagejakeDined on 9/24/2014The night started off great when (we didn't know) our server was also the owner! He could not stop smiling and beaming with pride of his establishment, and rightfully so. The service was amazing, our server was great (after he left), really knew her wines and pairings, and the food. I had the ribs, fall-off-the-bone. Friends had steak, the tofu and agnaletti (SP) pasta. Overall a tremendous night out on a Wednesday, I've been there before and will definitely go back asap.Special Features:
- Good food and friendly serviceBiBiTiTiDined on 9/24/2014Originally a garage, the restaurant retained a lot of the rustic characteristics to create this new interesting two level space. We sat at a table on the upper level and was able to over look the kitchen and the famous wood burning stove. Menu is small so selection was limited but each dish was very well executed. The pork chop was the best I've ever had. Ribs and the meatball spaghetti were absolutely fantastic as well.Special Features:
- Oh what a night!BigbadcliffDined on 9/23/2014My vegetarian wife and carnivorous self decided to celebrate our fourteenth wedding anniversary with a nice dinner at Woodlot. What a meal! We started with the Yukon Gold and Scamorza Cheese Croquettes which were good but not outrageously fantastic...but that's okay. I ordered the 1lb of Dry Rubbed Wood Fired Ribs and wifey the Hand Cut Sourdough Spaghetti w/ san marzano tomato sauce, smoked mozzarella, basil and Parmesan and a side of Warm Kale Salad. Two words....WOW! Okay that was only 1 word. Sue me. Seriously some if the best food that I have ever had. The ribs were perfect! And as a big appetite boy....I was plenty full with the generous portions. We loved our drinks, we enjoyed our wait staff and we will be back!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedGigiDined on 9/22/2014We reserved at Woodlot on a friend's recommendation. Very casual but food is excellent. The wait staff was well informed and fun. Would only hesitate to recommend it to someone with hearing issues as it is quite loud when full but that is not a bad thing as everyone was having a great time.Special Features:
- The food is amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014The agnolotti was absolutely devine. Depending on what you order though, the "large" sized portions can be quite small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKMP1VIPDined on 9/20/2014Woodlot is the best restaurant in Toronto. The ambience is warm and inviting. The food is sensational: I had the pickerel which was the best dish I have eaten in Toronto in a while; my spouse had the spaghetti/meatballs: delicious. The starter of buratta and in season Ontario tomatoes was elegant to look at and scrumptious to eat. All in all, a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- my birthday dinner celebrationFarenheitDined on 9/20/2014It is my favourite restaurant in the city, cozy, rustic, low-key, fresh and amazingly tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique food, great atmospherekaskmiDined on 9/19/2014Came here for dinner with two friends. While it's a little more expensive, Woodlot is a treat. The menu is fairly small, but we tried almost everything and loved everything. The wood-fired ribs especially were killer - just fell off the bone and had such a delicious smokey flavour. The steak and fish also looked great, the appies were delicious, the cheese board and dessert sampler board - lovely. The atmosphere was dark and rustic yet modern with a good playlist.Special Features:
- Great NightpdhlondonDined on 9/18/2014We truly enjoyed every minute of the 2+ hours we spent at the Woodlot. We were greeted with warm smiles from the hostess and our server. The atmosphere was delightful -- even though the house was full the noise level was never distracting and we were able to carry on a conversation easily without having to raise our voices. The food was outstanding and the service was friendly, efficient, and helpful. We were particularly pleased to be able to order half-servings of our entrees. The prices were in the top tier, but the value was there so we did not feel that it had been an overly expensive evening or meal. I highly recommend the Woodlot to anyone looking for a unique dining experience and a pleasant night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at WoodlotLoveagoodmealDined on 9/16/2014I received a gift certificate for the Woodlot. Didn't know the restaurant beforehand. Thought I would give it a go. It was the best food I have had in 2014. Just coming back from 10 years in NYC and the food at this restaurant matches anything NYC can offer. What a pleasure dining there. The food was perfection. The music was a bit loud, but then I was the oldest diner there. Would certainly return.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gemab90Dined on 9/15/2014A friend and I had heard of Woodlot but had never been so we decided to give it a try and we loved it! We chose to eat off of the fixed menu which allowed us to try a whole bunch of different things. We got the croquettes and mushroom dish to start, and for our mains we got the sourdough pasta and meatballs and the pork. SO good! You can tell that the ingredients are high quality. Our mains were accompanied with 3 sides: the polenta fries, warm kale salad and the rapini. By ordering off of the fixed menu, you definitely get your moneys worth. We also got the treat board which is a must try since you get to sample a few mini treats! Service was great (with the exception of waiting ~20 minutes to pay) and would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian abundanceBitterosityGirlDined on 9/15/2014As vegetarian-almost-foodies we have resigned ourselves to choosing 1, maybe 2, options on most menus (especially at the intimate hipster places) - but at Woodlot we suffer the embarrassment of vegetarian riches! Thoughtful and charming ingredients on both the meat & veggie menus meant we felt like we were being treated as eating-equals. For a visiting young German relative it was the perfect place to introduce her to Canadian ingredients, smart vegetarian cooking and a very Gemütlich environment. The only down side was the very cold temperature inside (wore my outside jacket all night and it did feel a bit ungracious that none of the wait staff made any sort of comment - I was not the only one wearing a coat & scarf) and the noise volume.Special Features:
- GdfdymDined on 9/14/2014Crostini and mushroom salad for starters were very nice. The ribs just melted in your mouth and the warm kale salad was the perfect pairing. The selection of six delicious bites for desert, simply the best. Very delicious food with no pretension. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014I recently went back to Woodlot for the second time. The first time was on a first date with my current girlfriend. The experience was incredible, and I was excited to go back again for our 1 year anniversary. The food was excellent as always, but it was everything else about Woodlot that truly made it a wonderful experience. The ambiance is perfectly balanced, with the noise level being perfectly calm enough to speak in a regular voice to the person accross the table. The service was perfectly timed, and always attentive. I especially liked receiving wine samples to try because I was unsure about which wine would go best with my main course. The evening was perfect, and I look forward to going back again.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Woodlot was recommended to me by a friend and it was amazing!! The food was amazing and the wine suggested by the waitress was perfectly paired with the food. I recommend Woodlot.Special Features:
- Restaurant RickRestaurantRickDined on 9/9/2014We have returned to Woodlot several times for its rustic decor, cleverly crafted and well executed dishes and charmingly casual service. On this trip, service slid to unfocused and slow. When execution fails, casual comes off as too cool for school. The kitchen was out of our favourite Pickerel so we both chose Rainbow Trout, prepared with the Pickerel treatment. Nicely done! The Warm Kale Salad was remarkably remeniscent of Collard Greens, not one of our favourite tastes. We will regard this visit as a blip and try another visit.
- Always returning!TODinerDined on 9/9/2014Despite always looking for a new restaurant to try, we find ourselves regularly returning to Woodlot for a night out. Excellent and reliable service, great atmosphere and superb food. An absolute pleasure of a dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a really nice settingLorenDined on 9/7/2014Excellent vegetarian menu with some really interesting flavour combinations. The sourdough pasta in particular was excellent. To be highly recommended!Special Features:
- First TimerChefFanDined on 9/3/2014Ordered the following: - Ember Grilled Hen-o’-the-Woods Mushrooms: mushrooms themselves were excellent. Smoky, charred flavour. I ended up picking them out of the rest of the wild rice, black walnut, beet root and dill on the dish. - Chop of Whey Fed Pork: I was expecting melt-in-your mouth tenderness but, it was slightly dry and not as juicy as I had hoped. Loved the lollichop cut, though! - Stone Ground Polenta Fries: Perfectly salted and crisp. I can see myself just ordering a few batches of these to enjoy on the patio. - Chocolate Cheese Cake w/ graham, burnt marshmallow and fresh raspberry: nice, large portion size. The raspberry cut the sweetness of the chocolate perfectly. The burnt marshmallow was pleasantly sweet and gooey.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Hen o' the woods mushrooms? The most beautiful textures! Fresh angnolotti with corn butter? Soul-warming. I came here with my boyfriend; we both work in a busy fine-dining restaurant so we know the drill, and let me tell you we left very, very happy.Special Features:
- Fresh and DeliciouskikiDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant takes pride in using fresh products that are in season. The food is obviously prepared with pride, care and creativity. The friendly staff was quick to explain the menu, the homemade items and wine list. As the evening wore on, and the restaurant was filled to capacity the noise level rose a bit higher than I would like. Nice to see a neighbourhood venue doing well with their clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish we had a better experienceCuisineConnoisseursDined on 8/30/2014We travelled from Stoney Creek and were really excited to try this restaurant. We were late due to bad traffic and when we arrived the waitress was minimally polite and short with us. Thankfully I had done research beforehand because the waitress did not explain the vegetarian menu versus the regular menu. We observed other couples receiving a proper introduction to the resteraunt and we did not get the same treatment. It was obvious the chef had professional training and everything blended together nicely. The food was unique and delicious, but not something we would want too often. We enjoyed our appitizers and my boyfriend loved his steak but I don't think we will be returning because the service really effected our experience.Special Features:
- Great spotCasualfoodieDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I enjoyed a bottle of wine and a great meal at Woodlot. The service was very good, the food excellent and we really enjoyed the setting - they've done a great job organizing and designing the space - feels very casual yet upscale. Prices were very reasonable as well. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic Vegetarian FoodMarissaCoulterDined on 8/28/2014My friend and I ate here for her birthday, and our entirely vegetarian meal was superb. The flavour combinations and use of herbs were amazing, the cocktails were delicious and the service was quick and friendly. We were also impressed by the number of veggie choices available. The food is very creative and high quality. the meat options- which they have- also looked great. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodsoodarooDined on 8/24/2014Loved this restaurant. Some of the best food I've had in years and this includes Michelin starred restaurants in NYC. Casual elevated dining for sure. We had an all vegetarian menu - the sourdough agnolotti was the best al dente pasta i've had, the mushroom appy was awesome - so smart and well-balanced. We need more places like this.Special Features:
- Handcrafted PerfectionThatsNachoCheeseDined on 8/20/2014Every detail of your woodlot experience will be made from scratch, have rich earthy flavours, and will leave you checking your calendar to plan your next reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinner!fabfoodDined on 8/20/2014We were pleasantly greeted upon arrival. Service was prompt and our server was knowledgeable about the menu and friendly. Food was plated beautifully and was absolutely delicious. Servings were generous. A perfect dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take your friendsDineswithfriendsDined on 8/20/2014We needed to seat a group of 7, and we wanted a menu with vegetarian options for some of our group, great food and great ambience, and a great neighbourhood to show off Toronto to visitors. Woodlot delivered on all fronts. We sat at the chef's table, which gives a combo of almost-on-the-patio and right by the vibrant kitchen and fascinating mosaic covered bread oven. Our server took time to explain and answer the myriad questions we had. We went for the prix fixe - $45 per person for a starter and a main and then you share a selection of sides. I highly recommend it. Woodlot has a whole separate vegetarian menu, and the menu is included in the prix fixe option. The food was excellent. We highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it.MtlerinTODined on 8/19/2014Very competent and friendly service. Very well executed, fresh, local food. Will definitely be going back. We mentioned in passing we thought the sides were a touch salty for our taste and they took them off the bill, even though we ate every morsel. And they comped our desserts! Wow! We insisted that wasn't necessary, we just don't salt our food much, but they persisted. Needless to say, left a huge tip. We were there with our 7 year old who also loved it and who was made to feel completely welcome. Great, informal place for everybody, with A+ food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty and noisyRobandBDined on 8/18/2014I have been to Woodlot 3 times for business or most recently pleasure as friends gave us a gift certificate. I wouldn't spend a dime of my own money on this place. The acoustics are lousy, the waiter a little too cool for school and the food was mediocre especially given the price. The ribs were tasty but salty, the greens were really bitter and salty and the steak was drowned in butter. And I feel I'm a fair and reasonable patron so i am sorry to sound harsh. Sadly, it just isn't worth it especially given the room is not exactly relaxing after a long day.Special Features:
- Delicious and FunRuthDined on 8/17/2014The food at Woodlot is terrific. It is both creative and tasty. Also a great variety to choose from. The ambience is lively and relaxed and although a bit noisy is much less so than most restaurants these days. We could comfortably talk among the seven of us at the table. Definitely a fun and delicious dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!TaraPepperDined on 8/17/2014We went for my son's 25th birthday. It was EXCELLENT! Such fantastic tastes ... such great service. A huge thank you to Woodlot for making the evening special.Special Features:
- Great Locally Sourced FoodUrbanHermitDined on 8/16/2014I was very impressed with this restaurant. The place is pretty small so that makes for a nice cozy atmosphere. The appetizers in particular were fantastic. My only regret is that I the fantastic appetisers filled me up tremendously so I was pretty full for my main. The sevice was friendly and not at all intrusive. They were also all extremely knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Delicious and innovativeDareatsDined on 8/15/2014We've dined at Woodlot several times and it does not disappoint! Dishes are equally unique and delicious. Restaurant has a lively ambience while still feeling laid back. Kale salad, polenta fries and desserts are a must! Definately one of my fave places to dine in T.O.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best bread in TOottawafoodiesDined on 8/15/2014Our second visit here. The food was fantastic, fun, and of course the in-house baked bread is divine. Menu changes regularly, so you won't have the same experience twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & veg-friendlychicagogirlDined on 8/15/2014Woodlot is cute & casual, but I ate at the bar & the seats are uncomfortable--small, hard, & backless. If it's a strategy to prevent people from lingering too long after eating, then bravo! Mission accomplished. The Aperol cocktail I began with was okay, however, my dinner was tremendous. I had the small portion of stuffed agnolotti, which was lovely, & the side of rapini. The rapini was among the best I've had die to the added zing of chili. I finished with the chocolate cheesecake, which tasted okay but was too dense/heavy. They provide traditional & veg menus to each guest. I don't know why they aren't incorporated into one menu, but it's nice that it's not an afterthought. It's rather expensive for what it is, but I'd still be back.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Loved my first time at wood lot. The food was delicious, the space warm and welcoming. Our server was very helpful and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.