242 Flatbush Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11217Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://woodlandnyc.com/
- Phone: 7183987700x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Merrill Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Woodland will host singer/song writers, trios of Jazz, folk and rock along with a Bluegrass/Rockabilly Brunch.
A word from Woodland
Deep within a major boulevard, tucked under the cosmopolitan venues of Brooklyn brownstones, dances in our thoughts a familiar character that we can all relate to. He is juggling his light-hearted smile with a goblet in one hand, pipe in the other; the promise of your good time sparkling in his eyes. He is our Satyr, and meant to remind all that enter our door, that the Woodland still exists, along with its fun, flavor, and song.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Woodland reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (3)fit for foodies (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)neighborhood gem (2)romantic (1)special occasion (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- My Birthday CelebrationDefinitionDined on 8/29/2014The hostess didn't even know that there was a space reserved for me. It took quite some time to get to the reserved space. The reserved space was not what was mentioned to me. Our waitress was unprofessional and rarely checked on us. I found out she was 21. Still, she should be trained much better. I had to request water. Really? The food came before the drinks. Really? The door for my reserved space was left opened the entire night. The space was beautiful, sexy but the service sucked. I do not think I will be coming back.
- Too loud and weakened menueatsfoodDined on 8/8/2014The main problems with this restaurant centered around extremely slow service, loud music that hindered conversation between diners and a menu that lacked the variety and adventure of previous years. The food tasted very good but that was all that was enjoyable about being there. Will likely not return/ recommend until these issues are addressed.Special Features:
- HORRID SERVICENycfoodyVIPDined on 8/6/2014I have never in my life had worse service. I came here before a concert with clients and was absolutely appalled and embarrassed. Not only was the service slow (took 20 minutes to take our drink order and another 20 to fulfill it), but the wait staff was obnoxious. The waitress specifically asked us if we were attending the concert at Barclay's and if we needed rush service and did nothing to expedite our dining. The result: we were about an hour late for our concert. The entire table was served their meal (about an 40 after ordering), when I asked when my meal would be ready, they only then let me know that they were out of the dish I ordered- once the entire table was about to eat! I can't say enough about the poor service here.
- lauraDined on 8/6/2014We had been there before and the food was much better, we had a new waitress who should of been supervised alittle closer, the menu was limited, I just remember it being so much better, that I wanted to go back.....not any more! The wings were great, the burger was dry, and the fries were just there, and cold. Nothing special!Special Features:
- good restaurant in the neighborhoodappreciategoodfoodDined on 7/2/2014we picked the Woodlands as a central location for 3 friends to get together. it was a great pick. everyone was easily able to find this restauirant and the 3 of us were able to get different main courses that everyone enjoyed. appetizers were a great start with winds and guacolmole with chips- they were good starts and not too much that fills you up before dinner.Special Features:
- Amazing space subpar cuisinekboston34Dined on 6/15/2014Woodland boasts a concise menu promisimg high end foodie lovers fare but falls way short on execution. My party of four ordered a variety of dishes several of which regrettably. The cheese plate was small ment for one at most without much variety. No specialty cheeses just basic. The wings were drenched in a sauce with an overpowering Indian/oriental spice mixture which was almost acidic in flavor. The corn soup was delightful as was the chips and avocado salsa a true gem of the meal. I ordered the house salad with shrimp and received a bed of mixed field greens warm lightly dressed in a vinegrette with overcooked rubbery old shrimp on top. When shrimp has been around a while it develops an fishy smell and flavor which this had.Special Features:
- The following 104 reviews are from the Woodland reviews archive.
- Hidden GratuityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014Great little place - food was good/ Big issue ... table of 7 (not such a big group to include tip) and 20% gratuity was pre-loaded. Thats a high number but what I normally tip anyway - presumptious maybe? The real problem was the server did not mention that it was in at all!!! I almost double tipped and extra $100 ... places that do that scream rip-off. I'll give them benefit of doubt this time ... but beware!
- Awesome service & food was AMAZE!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014I took my Mom out for brunch this past Mother's Day and it seemed that everyone in my section was doing the same. I like that they had the forethought to seat us all in our own section in the back that was less congested and more Mom-friendly. The food was great and our servers were pleasant and attentive + the $10 bottomless mimosa or champagne special kinda sealed the deal for me. I plan to go back regularly and often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "good"chowhoundDined on 4/13/2014good food, and service. nice decour, noisy, at least at brunch/lunch time would not bring date. Probably the same for dinner good place to go with a friend which I did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemkikuyuDined on 3/15/2014I always passed this place and wanted to go - the decor is so charming and incredible inside, and the food was delicious. I'll be back soon!Special Features:
- After NCAA BBall Tournament gameNJFishHawkDined on 3/14/2014Great place to meet B4 / after a game @ Barclays...Great bartenders and servers....Not for TUX and GOWN...Great if you want good food and some fun with friends...Special Features:
- Best FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2014It was a perfect spot for an after event at Barclay Center. Welcoming, friendly and able to accommodate 10 of us. Table was waiting when we got there. Food was great. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Tables are too close togethernytrinityDined on 2/14/2014I did enjoy Valentine's Day at Woodland, but I felt like I was part of a group instead of on a date. We were entirely too close to the couples on either side of us. At one point, the gentleman to my left asked a question and I automatically answered him. I thought he was talking to me. There's no real bar to speak of, just a tiny counter with a few stools. Food was great. They know how to make a steak well-done but still juicy. The service felt a little awkward, having the waiters lean way down or stand almost behind us to take our orders. I'd definitely go back - but maybe I would request a table against the back wall next time. I heard that the windows fold all the way back to make the restaurant open-air. I'd like to see that.Special Features:
- Near Barclay Center...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2014Great spot pre show in downtown Brooklyn. Amazing bartender Todd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disaster (2 Years In A Row)DrewDined on 12/31/2013Woodland on New Year's Eve was an unmitigated disaster. We were seated on time for our reservation and then it was quickly downhill. It was 45 minutes before we got two drinks and two waters, and an hour before we simultaneously received our salads and appetizers. The lettuce on the Caesar salad was grilled and tasted horrible. The scallops were luke warm upon arrival and slightly cool by the time we finished our salads. At the 90-minute mark when we hadn't received our entrees, we decided to ask for the check at the same time and forego dessert. The prime rib entree was beyond marbled and could only be described as 45% fat. Others dining nearby left after three hours, also without dessert. For $179, we ended up with maybe $28 in food cost.
- Awful Experience/Poorly RunOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 12/31/2013We sat at 730 and didn't receive our salads til after 9pm. We never saw a manager on the floor. Multiple tables walked out without eating after sitting for over 2hrs. This establishment should be taken off Open Table ASAP. I've never seen a restaurant so poorly run and a staff that didn't have a clue.
- An absolute jokeBrendanDined on 12/31/2013We've been to Woodland a few times, but New Years Eve absolutely took the cake. Our dinner took 2 1/2 hours. During which, we didn't see our waiter for 45 mins at a time, other waiters continually tried to bring us food we didn't order, we received some of our salads and all of our apps at the same time(2 different courses on the price fix), and one person received their entree a half hour after the rest of us. Oh, and the dessert was directly from the freezer! The food is actually quite good, but the service is a joke. I don't blame the waiters, but rather the owner. I've been there on quieter nights, and the service wasn't much better.
- In the neighborhoodGreeneyeddevilVIPDined on 12/25/2013After a game, it's a good place to stop for a decent meal!
- Perfect preconcert dinnerAngelfood1VIPDined on 12/22/20132 blocks from Barclay Center, Woodland was just right for a light meal before the Beyoncé concert. 2 ladies, we dined happily on salad & sea bass. Delicious!Special Features:
- DisappointedWrigleyVIPDined on 11/29/2013I was eager to try Woodland, I had walked by a couple times and it looked like the place was buzzing, what I had read about the menu and ambiance suggested that it was in my sweet spot. My wife and I dined there the Friday after Thanksgiving, the room was completely dead, the food was mediocre at best and te cocktails/wine were uninteresting. We will not be back.
- Great neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/23/2013The food was great. The ambiance was exciting. And they are open pretty late. Service was pretty good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salmon is delightfulIrishturtlesVIPDined on 11/18/2013This is a solid pre-Barclays dining spot... I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to Barclay CenterjodiekDined on 11/8/2013We were a party of 6 and had a terrific waitress (Ashley) to help expedite our drinks and food order so that we could be in and out of the restaurant in an hour. The food was excellent - confirmed by all 6 of us -- and everything was perfect. Would definitely recommend to anyone who wants a good meal and a good bar menu before going to an event at the Barclay Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just not goodbklyn24Dined on 11/6/2013I went here prior to an event at the Barclays Center and though convenient, the food just wasn't good. I had the burger which said it came with truffle fries, but when it came, there was no truffle, and no explanation. The burger was mediocre, I think Shake Shack is better. Service was not attentive, had to ask for ketchup twice, and they did not refill my water at all. This is the second time I've been here, and the service was the same, food was worse. I think next time I'll just stick to the bar.
- Pet peeveErikDined on 9/29/2013Maybe I'm picky but a pet peeve is having all the food dumped on the table at once. We ordered salads, soup and an entree. The waiter specificially asked if we wanted them as 3 courses and we said yes. We barely had the black pepper put on the salad when the soup came out. Annoyed, we asked that it go back until we finished the salad. They apologized and happily obliged. However, after taking one spoonful of soup each, the main course came out so we had to devour the soup so the main wouldn't get cold. Aside from that, a cute little Brooklyn spot right by Barclays with really good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Choice Before ConcertFANTASTICVIPDined on 9/24/2013Great atmosphere, service was great and the food was amazing. Definitely a go to before anything at the Barclay Center!Special Features:
- Went on a nice summer afternoonJJVVDined on 8/25/2013Went on a nice summer afternoon when they had all the large shutters open to reveal a wide-angle view of St. Marks square. It was gorgeous. The restaurant is a block away from the Barclays center -- great for a meal before a show. I had the braised rabbit ragu which tasted great but was a tad on the bland side. I was expecting something creamier but it was actually more brothy. Also had an order of olives which was full of many large, meaty queen olives. The staff, food, and atmosphere are all top-notch. As long as you can afford it (most entrees are in the $20-$30 range) you can't really go wrong with a fantastic place like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but...MichaeljDined on 8/23/2013I was disappointed to see that all that was being offered was bar food. Last time I was there the choices were better. Food was still great for what it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2013Food was delicious, service was upsetting. Waited for drinks, apps and finally our meal only came out 90 minutes late. Restaurant wasn't even very crowded. Management and waitstaff didn't even think to buy us a round.... Sorry Woodland....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space, nice spotBeenThereAteThatDined on 7/28/2013As suggested by its name, there is no shortage of wood in the decor. Big open airy space with good quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only OKbkbrunchDined on 7/28/2013We came to Woodland for brunch before an early show at the Barclays Center. Though our server was very friendly and pleasant, he was often hard to find. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't memorable. One of us ordered the Skillet Eggs, which was listed as an onion and potato hash with poached eggs. Expecting a vegetarian dish, we were surprised to find the hash contained pulled pork. Since neither of us are vegetarians, it was fine, but it would've been nice to know about the meat because we wouldn't have ordered all the sides we did.Special Features:
- Excellant brunchBorn2dineDined on 7/27/2013Our brunch was extremely pleasant, sitting in the shade on the patio. My friends brought their infant and the staff was very accommodating and helpful. The food and drink were just fine and a no more pleasant reunion with dear old friends could have been imagined. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal!DCDinerVIPDined on 6/22/2013While visiting a close friend in NY, we decided to try out Woodland and we were so impressed. The food was so delicious, and the service was lovely. Our waiter, Adam, was so kind and helpful, and made sure we were well taken care of. He made great food and wine suggestions, and we truly enjoyed every course. Thank you for making our experience so enjoyable. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a neighborhood gem and who is looking for a delicious and indulgent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took forever for food to arrive.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/16/2013Took forever for food to arrive. Also it wasn't worth waiting for.Special Features:
- Good, but nothing specialChristineNYCDined on 6/15/2013We went for brunch on a Saturday. Nice place, good service. The food was nothing special. Not bad, but not worth the price. Two of my fried oysters had shells in them. The waitress took them off the bill, which was nice. I would go back for drinks, but probably not for brunch or dinner. Nice garden in the back.Special Features:
- Perfect place before Barclays eventEmGalDined on 6/10/2013We stopped in before Paul McCartney (made a reservation online) and the food was delish and the staff delightful. 2 blocks walk to the show. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Food, Problems with ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2013Went to Woodland because we were goint to the Barclays Center. Our service was better than a lot of what was described online. We were given water, seated pleasantly... The big sticking point was when our appetizers, main courses and vegetable were all delivered to the table at once. First of all the table was barely large enough to hold it and the server did not know enough to offer to take some back and bring it later, even though we told him what the problem was. We didn't get through our main courses because we felt as though we were eating two meals at once. The food was pretty good but the place is loud.
- Worked out the kinksLspiegsVIPDined on 6/8/2013We went before the Paul McCartney concert and after reading the reviews I must admit I was nervous about getting served onetime. After the cocktails were promptly served, it was obvious that they worked out the kinks. The service was great and the food was delicious. I will definitely return next time I have tickets to barclays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misled by OpenTable starsNYNYNYVIPDined on 6/8/2013Simply think it is viable for its location near Barclays.
- Food was mediocre, and theIMARVIPDined on 6/8/2013Food was mediocre, and the staff was very confused. Place was packed because of McCartney concert at Barclays, and they couldn't handle it too well. Brought out appetizer and main courses out at the same time. And food was just OK. Good wine list though.