3335 N Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60657Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.woodchicago.com/
- Phone: (773) 935-9663
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ashlee Aubin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can be booked for private event any day of the week for 3 hours or the entire evening with different pricing depending on the hours and day of the event. We offer full menu and/or passed hors d'oeuvres that can include open bar to tab bar.
- Private Party Contact: Franco Gianni 7739359663
- Cross Street: Halsted & Buckingham
- Public Transit: Red-line at Belmont or Addison el stop putting you approx. 6 blocks from Wood from either stop.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Currently there is street parking and valet just 3 doors north on Halsted. Valet service will be available starting in September on Thurs-Saturday evenings.
A word from Wood
From the kitchen to the bar, everything we serve is defined by a passion for exploring unique flavor combinations. Wood is more than a name: our wood-fired oven is at the heart of it all, mustering a dynamic menu of small-plate, American fare, made with the best ingredients the season has to offer. Though the dishes regularly change, they are defined by a few constants: meat is butchered in-house from humanely-raised animals; vegetables are drawn from family farms like Green Acres (North Judson, IN), Three Sisters (Kankakee, IL), and Spence Farm (Fairbury, IL); herbs are picked directly from Wood’s private garden; and all pasta and sausage are freshly made, straight from the Wood kitchen to the plate. We bring the same attention to quality and taste to Backwoods, our late-night Belgian fry pick-up window. Made from hand-cut Kennebec potatoes, twice-fried in the traditional Belgian style, and served with your choice of a dozen different house-made sauces, these aren’t your average fContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Wood reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (107)neighborhood gem (98)great for outdoor dining (68)special occasion (58)vibrant bar scene (54)hot spot (50)romantic (46)notable wine list (42)good for groups (23)great for brunch (22)late-night find (14)scenic view (5)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014The dinner was delicious, our server was fantastic, the only issue we had was that the inner door would never close all the way. We sat by the front window, and everytime the door opened, that inner door stayed slightly open, causing the draft to funnel right at us. Spent a lot of my night huddled up with my date just to stay warm. Maybe a heavier closer on the door, or magnets on the ground for where the door lines up, would fix the problem. Otherwise, a wonderful date night, and a great nightcapSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/20/2014Tried a lot of things nothing tasted good. Scallops were sour, very expensive and didn't like any of the things we ate Sable fish was dry.
- Best in ChicagoLizz1212VIPDined on 11/14/2014I love this place. This was my second time here for dinner and we didn't know if it could live up to how good it was last time, and it was even better. The Carrot Agniolote pasta appetizer is one of the best things I've ever had in Chicago. The Scallops, Sablefish, and Duck were also all amazing. Cocktails were great. Server was pretty good, and the decor is great! I will def be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointingPretamanger1Dined on 11/8/2014High energy levels and table configuration make large group dining a bit challenging conversationally, but that is overshadowed by the terrific service, innovative seasonal menu, food quality and presentation, and solid wine selection. Favorites are chicken liver mousse, house-made pastas, chicken breast entree and interesting desserts, but menu choice is well spread, offering good options for all tastes and appetites. Note: appetizer portion sizes are generous/can be shared.Special Features:
- Veggie-friendly Fine Diningdamiro64Dined on 11/6/2014Everything my friend and I had was super delicious! I previous avoided Wood because of their meat-centric menu but lo-and-behold they have a separate vegetarian menu that was absolutely fantastic! I'll be back soon!Special Features:
- GorgeousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/4/2014This restaurant is absolutely gorgeous, while still comfortable and welcoming. The food was outstanding - it exceeded our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2014Had a really nice meal here on Sunday evening. Good wine choice and overall food was good quality and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love to dineLakeviewLocavoreVIPDined on 11/2/2014We love to go out for brunch (and for dinner!). This restaurant is very popular and we think it is because it is beautiful and well located. Their food, however, is overcomplicated - believe me - we appreciate really creative food. But they overshoot here. If you want to sit in a beautiful space and try to parse the menu to find something that will satisfy you - go for it. The staff is very friendly and will take you on a guided tour. We just won't be there next to you.Special Features:
- LOUDAaarghVIPDined on 10/31/2014It may have just been that it was an extra-busy night, but having to yell to be heard by the per on sitting right next to me pretty much ruined the experience. It was also much too hot, which may have been because it was so crowded, still - open a door or something. The food was decent, wine list could have been better.Special Features:
- First time for a lifetimeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/30/2014First time at Wood made me a lifetime groupie ! The service was amaze only to match the food. The beets are are the hook!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ups and DownsNacaDined on 10/25/2014First off, it took about 10 minutes for someone to bring us water. Our cocktails came shortly after that, but that was about the only prompt service we had. After about half an hour without getting our appetizer, I looked around and noticed no one had food. Then the waiter brought an amuse bouche of some cold celery-root soup. Not bad. Appetizer didn't come for 15 minutes after that. That's a 45-minute wait for the appetizer. There was no explanation as to what took so long, no apology, just here's your flatbread. If given 45 minutes I could've replicated the flatbread at home, I do believe. It was very tasty, but not worth the wait and maybe not worth the price. That was the theme of the night--long wait, overpriced.Special Features:
- They have AVIATIONS!TylerVIPDined on 10/24/2014If you don't know what an AVIATION (a gin based drink) then you should try one!!!Special Features:
- JillDined on 10/24/2014Wonderfully creative dishes and the most tender chicken I have ever eaten.Special Features:
- Superb Dinner!DanielleDined on 10/22/2014We were a party of six on a Wednesday evening. Although quite noisy when we first arrived, it was less noisy as the evening went on (I would not suggest going with more than 6 guests). Every member of our party enjoyed their meal. The menu is varied and interesting and the presentation was stunning. They willingly accommodated some special dietary needs. The wine list is a bit pricey (the restaurant does seem to feature its alcohol), but the meal prices were excellent. The coffee is excellent but we were very surprised that they did not sere tea.We are eager to return.Special Features:
- FantasticnoodlesDined on 10/22/2014My husband and I went there to celebrate our anniversary before going to see Blue Man Group. The food was phenomenal, the service impeccable and friendly, and the ambiance was fantastic. They served us dessert and a glass of champagne on the house for our anniversary. The best anniversary dinner since our first year.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We were celebrating a birthday and had a very nice time. Our Server was great as was the food. I had a very good martini. We will return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Small selection of meals. Ingredients used for meal preparation were not worth the price. Desert selection was boring, far from sophisticated. We went there for my husbands birthday, we were so looking forward to food that would surprise our taste buds (based on previous reviews) but we ended up leaving Wood with great disappointment. The place was filled, seamed to be popular. Sorry, it failed to impress us!Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemparttimefoodieDined on 10/11/2014After reading the reviews of this restaurant and seeing that it won the Bib Gourmand award 2 years running, I was excited to try it. I was not disappointed in any way. The food was outstanding especially the Chicken Liver Mousse and the Short Ribs. The service was spot on and the prices were incredibly reasonable. I'm definitely going back for more.Special Features:
- DeliciouslccrumeDined on 10/10/2014We found out about this restaurant from a magazine in our hotel room. The atmosphere is cozy and lively. We arrived a bit early and had a drink at the bar. It took a bit for our table to be ready so the Host bought my husband another drink while we waited. Every part of our meal was top notch. I had the frisee salad with the poached egg and it was perfect. I ordered the fish with fava beans for my entree and it, too, was out of this world. Highly recommend this restaurant!!Special Features:
- Best restaurant in LakeviewThorVIPDined on 10/3/2014Wood offers gourmet food in a high energy environment. The food is truly great-- the flatbreads, the pasta, you just can't go wrong -- and the people-watching is a blast. It is by far my favorite restaurant in Lakeview and I love bringing friends and out-of-town guests there, because I know we'll have great food and a good time.Special Features:
- vm1220Dined on 9/28/2014Outstanding food, excellent service, a real TREASURE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentStuartwmDined on 9/27/2014First heard about Wood on Channel 11's Check, Please where all three reviewers raved about it. I wasn't disappointed--locavore food sources, delicious small and large plates, good drinks and very pleasant ambiance--nice mix of gay and straight. I'd go back in a second.Special Features:
- Nice Menu/Great Food & DrinkNancyVIPDined on 9/27/2014We were very happy with our night out at Wood. Katie waited on us & she was fantastic ~ she was attentive without being intrusive at all. We decided to try four of the small plates (a sausage/cheese flat bread, scallops, a pasta dish & the barrata cheese). All were delicious, unique & flavorful. For dessert we shared the apple cake with fennel which was good. We are looking forward to bringing friends or family to Wood in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST small plates!HowardDined on 9/23/2014Our large plates (grouper and short ribs) were good but nothing special. But the small plates shine! Be sure to try the Carrott Agnolotti (soooo smooth and delicately delish), the heirloom tomato salad, and the corn chowder!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WoodJohnBCVIPDined on 9/21/2014I am a regular at Wood and go at least once a month. I have enjoyed every dining experience I have had since they opened. The buratta salad and short ribs entree are always prepared well and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MomipadVIPDined on 9/19/2014We had fabulous service that matched the fabulous food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wood - Excellent FoodJohnVIPDined on 9/15/2014We have enjoyed dinner here about 15x and the food is always exceptional. Our recent service was fair at best. We were asked to order all at one (no starters first), as the kitchen prefers to have complete orders at once. This was new to us. The server brought us an appetizer we didn't order and a few minutes later he came back and removed it mentioning it was probably for another table. The table next to us received brunch menu's instead of dinner. We all left saying we loved the food but felt the service was off that night. We'll go back but we'll hope for a better waiter.
- Excellent, always!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014Consistency excellent! They have the best kitchen staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully prepared foodEdgewaterResidentx2Dined on 9/9/2014Very masculine, classy decor. Current-to-modern feel. Smells faintly of wood smoke. Smartly dressed, attentive staff. The food is obviously made with a lot of love and attention. I had the Duck, my partner the Roast Pork Loin. I preferred her's. Lot's of bright green vegetable flavors against the savory pork. Striking, fresh contrast. Found the reduction for my duck to be a too salty(soy?); the bok choy helped cut the salt, but not enough for my taste. The duck how ever was perfectly cooked. Very nice cocktails. Didn't see a whiskey menu. Maybe I missed it? In a place that has this kind of bold, smokey -well, woody- masculine feel a brown liquor menu would go far.Special Features:
- Great Monday evening dinnerChristmasEveDinerDined on 9/8/2014We had a wonderful meal, great to catch up with a dear friend. The server was conscious of that and we appreciated that. he was very knowledgeable of the food and especially the wine. We all enjoyed the meal very much. Will definitely be back to try more!!Special Features:
- Awesome food all the time!KByumVIPDined on 9/6/2014Wood is really wonderful. We were seated promptly at a great table for our party of 4. The waiter, Kevin, was very friendly, and recommended some great drinks. we shared 2 large plates, several small plates and a dessert. The room was fun and energized. food was delicious, especially the carrot Agnolotti. Go! You'll be happy you did.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodpmbkinderDined on 9/6/2014Truly wonderful dishes that mix just the right blend of flavors and textures. Everyone in our party of five had a different main course and each was inventive and delicous. Wood is truly a treat!Special Features:
- Wood is fun and chicDouganandaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Wood well deserves its award as a Michelin Bib Gourmand recommended spot. It is a sleek and chic restaurant that has something delicious for all, omnivore or vegan both. The staff is charming and attentive. The outdoor tables and the big plate glass windows offer up some fun people-watching along the colorful Halstead location, an extra bonus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERB MEALdrummer5Dined on 9/2/2014From the wine to the amuse bouche to the entries to dessert, the food was superb. Flavorable, complex and satisfying without being overly fussy.Special Features:
- Poor service and lack of attentionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Over a two hour meal the server stopped by our table only once or twice. Knowing I was a vegetarian he failed to mention that two of the dishes we ordered contained bacon, which was not noted on the menu.Special Features:
- Great Food, But....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014We went for our anniversary. The food really was outstanding and the outdoor patio lovely on a warm summer evening. The service, however, left a lot to be desired. I don't believe the host ever said a word to us while seating us. Our drinks were slow to arrive, and it took an unreasonably long time for the food. We requested bread so we could get every drop of the delectable sauces on our small plates; even that took 10 minutes. The desserts took so long that we cancelled our order. (They apologized and graciously provided one complimentary dessert to go.) I'd love to return to enjoy their delicious, fresh, inventive food but would hesitate because the service issues spoiled the over-all experience.Special Features:
- SummarywiseowlDined on 8/23/2014Artistic, subtle items. Highly recommend the carrot appetizer, duck breast and chocolate dessert. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- YummyAplusDined on 8/17/2014We started with steak tartar, scallops and tart flambé all were delicious. Special shout out to the steak tartar. For dinner we had the chicken and the filet of beef and out of that round the chicken was amazing. Super moist. I was in the mood for a glass of wine and the waiter recommended the gruner, fantastic. Exactly what I was craving. Overall great experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming neighborhood spothelperDined on 8/16/2014Enjoyable, although pricey. Great for special occasions.Special Features:
- Delish!JennyDined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed everything, from the starters to dessert. Our main course was so fresh and full of flavor. We will go back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.