6317 College Ave.
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://woodtavern.net/
- Phone: 5106546607
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Maximilian DiMare
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate up to 28 for semi-private parties. For buy-outs the Tavern can accommodate up to 40 for sit-down dinner. Contact restaurant directly for information.
A word from Wood Tavern
Wood Tavern is nestled into a charming neighborhood shopping district on bustling College Avenue. Serving a hearty American Brasserie style menu. The contemporary loft- like space houses a dining room filled with "butcher block' tables, a comfy, copper topped bar and a chef's counter where you can dine watching the chef in action.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Wood Tavern - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Wood Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (94)neighborhood gem (88)great for lunch (60)special occasion (48)hot spot (38)vibrant bar scene (30)notable wine list (21)romantic (19)good for groups (13)great for brunch (12)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great placeEaterVIPDined on 10/18/2014What a pleasure to go to a restaurant that is well run in addition to churning out excellent food...top marks in all categories!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great last-minute lunchAlwaysOnTheRoadDined on 10/17/2014A friend recommended this wonderful place on our way to Napa. The salmon salad, service, pastrami and a spicy Woody made the beginning of our weekend great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing dinnerfoodie16Dined on 10/15/2014we had a delicious dinner. The duck breast with wild rice, Jimmy Nardello peppers and broccoli rage was cooked perfectly. Halibut was moist in side and had a delicate crust. Rose of Pinot Noir was right on and not sweet which is what I wanted. Coconut cake w/ passionfruit and white chocolate pastry creme was outstanding,Special Features:
- No Body does it better!BennyDined on 10/8/2014I'm once again perched at the Wood Tavern Bar with the swivel seats. This high end joint is starting it's low buzz! It's 5:30. Small bar is jammed as reservation seated diners take their place. The staff have been around forever and their conviviality is genuine. "It's good to see you again" is not made up. Doting and friendly bartenders joke and laugh and make everyone feel special. Pork belly salad was plentiful, crispy with frissee and dotted with figs. Their pastrami slathered with hot mustard and cheese on French bread is enough for two. But you will take the rest home for yourself!! The best thing about "The Wood" is the long time staffers who make the experience fun and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014It's our neighborhood favorite. You feel comforted here like as of you were with family. It's out go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the whole packageOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014The food is great, from start to finish. The service is perfect. The menus are lovely. All of the wine's by the glass are thoughtful, especially the ability to have a glass of J. LaSalle champagne is a real treat. The room is a small beauty. We are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in OaklandFrannieDined on 10/1/2014I discovered Wood Tavern a few years ago when looking for a special restaurant to take my son for his birthday. Luckily I found Wood Tavern and frequent it as often as I can when I go to Oakland. Although a bit on the pricey side, it is well worth it as they have outstanding service, excellent food, a wonderful wine list and a fun likely atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as AlwaysRat6880VIPDined on 9/30/2014I've always enjoyed my dining experiences at Wood Tavern. The food is delicious and the service is great. My only complaint is that it's loud.Special Features:
- Dinner ServicecatalogingcaliDined on 9/28/2014Upon entering, took quite a bit of time to be greeted. After being seated, same. When we ordered and got our food, it was great. Had the gnocchi appetizer. It was excellent, homemade and light. Also had pork belly with lentil, good but the smokiness of the lentil over powered crisp pork belly. For mains had fish stew. The broth was well.cooked and seasoned. Portion a little small. I had the Ribeye. Meat was noticeably soft and tender. However, one side was very gristle. Not really a fan of the peppert demi glace. All in all, good meal. Staff seems a bit full of themselves. They are a popular neighborhood restaurant, however you're only as good as your customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Was surprised by the so so level of service of the wait staff. After getting our drinks, the waitress asked, "Would you like to order?" Didn't even ask us if we had questions about the menu, no small talk. Likewise, after our appetizer and our entree were delivered, we were left alone without any follow-up. Not even the customary, "how is everything?", Can I get you anything else?, etc. It was a very busy Saturday lunch and even though we had a reservation, we had to wait to be seated. When that happens, I would expect to be offered a complimentary beverage or something. The lack of attention was notable.
- Wood return to this one!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014Celebrated our son's 28th Birthday and had a wonderful meal...Rib eye very good, duck good but needed a veg or something, pork chop was the biggest hit. Will be back.Special Features:
- Great foodseafoodVIPDined on 9/18/2014My husband and I tried the Wood Tavern for lunch and it was wonderful. The staff was great and attentive. The Food was amazing. We had the beef and lentil soup and it was beyond our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMannyDined on 9/16/2014The food was exceptional and service very good. Very close quarters, very noisy - difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatBayareablondeDined on 9/12/2014The food here is never disappointing. Best time to come is first seating 11:30.Special Features:
- Exceptionally deliciousShadysideDined on 9/11/2014Consistently top-notch in every respect, Wood Tavern offers superior value. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but it's one of the few "pricey" restaurants that delivers more than what you're paying for. That's right, diners get more than their due--from the friendly and impeccable service, the beauty and spotlessness of the rooms, to the freshness and creativity of the food.Special Features:
- Great lunchChinaDined on 9/8/2014Delicious food and fabulous cocktails, very friendly and accommodating especially since we were 30 minutes late for our res, only downside is it's very noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodHappyValentineDined on 9/6/2014The food is delicious. It's a meat heavy menu so I don't think most vegetarians would be happy with the selection. I would eat here more if it wasn't so hard to get it.Special Features:
- fabulous foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/3/2014I am never disappointed with the food at wood tavern. Ribeye steak is always delicious. Had the best dessert ever, blueberry cheesecake sundae. It was amazingly smooth and velvety. Best food in Oakland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in Every WayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Every time we go to Berkeley we try to dine at Wood Tavern and we have never been disappointed. The food is simple but always prepared perfectly. The core of the menu stays the same but every time they have one or two new item done to perfection. It doesn't cater to families but we always bring our daughter and it is her favorite restaurant. We especially appreciate the service which is always knowledgeable and warm.Special Features:
- Lunch.... not dinnerserve2allVIPDined on 8/26/2014Had a wonderful lunch here (fried cod sandwich and salmon)and decided to go back for dinner. Night and Day. Our cocktails seemed to take way too long to come. The salad and chicken liver pate were both good. What was terribly disappointing was my duck breast entree...RARE duck breast? NO!!! Then we all shared the cholate sundae dessert and inquired if it really was ice cream...the taste was just not what good housemade ice cream should taste like. I should have sent back the duck but it was a birthday dinner and did not want to spoil the fun. The dinner was over $60 each and in my humble opinion, just not worth it. Recently had duck breast at Cafe Chez Panisse that was spectacular. So, if your going to Berkeley, Alice still rules!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/25/2014I liked it very much in every respect except one: a tv above the bar?! Are you kidding me?Special Features:
- just too noisyblackberryDined on 8/21/2014If only there were not so many hard surfaces bouncing noise around, this would be a great place. Even without the construction noise this place is too noisy for any real conversation. We leave feeling exhausted with strained voices. We only go when invited by friends; it is never our choice for this reason.
- "TOP DRAWER" restaurant East Bayserve2allVIPDined on 8/20/2014Birthday lunch here was excellent. Salmon lunch and Fried Cod sandwich...amazing. Bartender knows how to make a drink. Service very good. A bit noisy, but the food, ambiance and drinks were perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Saturday lunchAcedVIPDined on 8/16/2014As always, the cod sandwich was wonderful and the pork belly had a nice summer preparation. Enjoyable, we've been many times and will continue to come.Special Features:
- Great food amidst the noisedutchVIPDined on 8/11/2014This restaurant continues to put out really delicious food, and the service is quite fine. I just wish it were not so incredibly noisy! Difficult to have a conversation without leaning towards your tablemates and speaking very loudly. Oh well, I will continue to go here because of the wonderful food.Special Features:
- wood tavernjnorcalDined on 8/11/2014always delicious, fantastic burger and fries, but man, it was monday for lunch and packed, even when we left packed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerfoodforsoulDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I dined here for our anniversary and it really was one to remember. Although I didn't get the romantic table (one by the window) that I'd requested because of the special day, the food definitely made up for it. My husband's pork chop and my halibut were cooked to absolute perfection. I purposely never finish all of my food insuring I have leftovers for the next day; at Wood Tavern this was not the case. I cleaned my plate and would have welcomed another piece of the flawless halibut save for not wanting to look like a pig!Special Features:
- Birthday LunchEnjoymentDined on 8/5/2014I made reservations and specified I was bringing a friend for her 65th birthday. When I have done this before my guest got a candle in the dessert we ordered. I have always paid for the dessert and thought at least there would be a candle this time. I was not about to question the staff, infront of my guest, about the candle. Was this too much to ask for? There was lots of outside noise though, from the construction across the street, but that is not the restaurant's fault. Otherwise we had a nice lunch and visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!jayzmommVIPDined on 8/4/2014Wood Tavern was the perfect place to celebrate our anniversary. It is a small place but has the best food in the East Bay! Service was impeccable from the hostess to the server and everyone we encountered. The menu offers just enough choices but is not overwhelming and all ingredients are fresh and flavorful. Every bite was delicious and the sauces were just unbelievable. It was such an enjoyable evening. Great lively atmosphere!Special Features:
- Food took a while to arriveOaklandGABDined on 8/3/2014I ordered the pork chop and they said it takes a while. I still wasn't prepared to wait 35 minutes for my dinner to arrive. When it did arrive it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bustling for lunchPrimodomDined on 8/1/2014Good food, very busy for lunch. Too loud to have a decent conversation.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Very good food, but the restaurant is very noisy. We sat in a table that is in the middle of the restaurant. In order to hear each other, we had to raise our voice volume three time as high as we would normally talk.Special Features:
- Good, but..OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014Had to wait about 15 minutes past our reservation time to be seated, but the hostess treated us with complimentary champagne as a consolation - nice touch. We started with the whiskey laced chicken liver pate - very good, as well as a blue cheese - the waiter picked up on our request for no bread and asked if we'd like gluten free crackers with the pate/cheese - also a nice touch. The maple duck breast was excellent as was the Manhattan from the bar. The burger was good, but the fries could use some work. Overall a nice spot for good food, but crowded and a bit hot as a result - close tables can make conversation a bit hard and be distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/22/2014A favorite place of mine but just too noisy to enjoy food or friends. Such a shame.
- Consistently excellentPHcoupleVIPDined on 7/22/2014We've been going to Wood Tavern right from when they opened 8 years ago. The short lunch and dinner menus feature creative, changing items plus the favorites that make this such a neighborhood, and now regional, must go destination. The lunch burger is unsurpassed in juicy taste, nestled in a baguette bun from equally famous La Farine Bakery next door. Comes with huge order of crispy fries. Wood Tavern maintains a good wine and beer list, features unique, changing menu items, and has a family vibe despite being super-busy lunch and dinner. There's no better place to have a great meal in Oakland/Berkeley!Special Features:
- Why the long reservation time????OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2014There are so many more restaurants in the Oakland area that do not have a '3 month' waiting list for reservations. That is totally INSANE as Wood Tavern is not a 'five star' eatery. Yes, the food is good, but not spectacular. If your restaurant was located on at area with an ocean or moutain view, I could then understand the reservation wait list....but, that's not the case with this little restaurant located on College Avenue. Need to become more real folks!
- Great food in fun atmosphereFoodie84VIPDined on 7/19/2014Been a longtime Wood Tavern fan. Whether for lunch, mid day or dinner, this neighborhood gem never disappoints.Special Features:
- WanderingpalateWanderingpalateDined on 7/19/2014We arrived early on a Saturday afternoon. Although we had an later reservation, they seated us immediately. Our server was very professional and got our drinks quickly. We ordered the pork belly and chicken pate appetizers. The pork belly is crunchy on top and very savory with a delicious bed of spicy lentils. The chicken pate was smooth and accompanied by tasty mustard and fruit compote. I had a wonderful seafood stew with a great broth and very fresh fish and clams. My friend had the rare salmon and salad which she said was really good also. Our only complaint is about the noise level. I would suggest getting there early, so that you can talk before eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much too noisyPatronDined on 7/17/2014The place was so loud that we couldn't converse at all--I went for lunch with an old friend I hadn't seen for a long time. The acoustics alone are bad enough, but when loud music is added it's impossible. Even though the food was good and the server was pleasant, I would not go back--there are plenty of places where the food is good and the noise level is reasonable. Your form says "energetic" for the top noise level--I needed a "deafening" box to check!
- Great FoodlovetodineoutDined on 7/17/2014I took my daughter there for her birthday (40 something....) and we had a delightful experience. Food outstanding, service friendly.Special Features: