6317 College Ave.
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://woodtavern.net/
- Phone: (510) 654-6607
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Maximilian DiMare
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate up to 28 for semi-private parties. For buy-outs the Tavern can accommodate up to 40 for sit-down dinner. Contact restaurant directly for information.
A word from Wood Tavern
Wood Tavern is nestled into a charming neighborhood shopping district on bustling College Avenue. Serving a hearty American Brasserie style menu. The contemporary loft- like space houses a dining room filled with "butcher block' tables, a comfy, copper topped bar and a chef's counter where you can dine watching the chef in action.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Wood Tavern - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Wood Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (106)neighborhood gem (97)great for lunch (70)special occasion (60)hot spot (45)vibrant bar scene (41)notable wine list (26)romantic (22)good for groups (13)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- favorite place in OaklandrshorensVIPDined on 11/14/2014I always love going to Wood Tavern. Food and bread are terrific especially paparadelle, pate, and burgers. They are very accomodating- They seated me when I arrived 2 hours before my reservation. Reasonable price for quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wood never disappointsSaraEDined on 11/11/2014Took a friend to lunch here for her birthday: she loved her Cobb salad. My fresh cod sandwich loaded with dressed chopped lettuce served on super-fresh baguette, with a side of finely chopped slaw and house-made pickles is always my favorite. To celebrate we tried the Jonathan apple cobbler with the best ice cream I've ever eaten - sage sour cream. Service was perfect. Noise level fine by coming on the early side and sitting at the first table along the left wall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchMferVIPDined on 11/7/2014Food was exceptional, staff was friendly and efficient, and sauvignon blanc was dry and crisp.Special Features:
- Birthday lunchWanderingpalateDined on 11/7/2014I took my friend for lunch on her birthday. Service was excellent. We had the pork belly, endive salad which we shared. I had the pasta with lamb ragu and my friend had the seafood stew. The pork belly was perfect, crisp, savory and the lentils were a perfect accompaniment. The salad was perfectly dressed. My friend had the seafood stew which was a bit disappointing this time. Not as well seasoned as I recall from my last visit. My pasta was very good. We ordered the coconut layer cake and they remembered that it was my friend's birthday, so it came with a candle. We were pleased with the meal. The restaurant is very noisy, so we try to arrive early.Special Features:
- The consistent oneLovethevibeDined on 11/6/2014As always,Wood Tavern never fails to deliver great food with excellent service....I love taking new people here as they are always impressed with the place....thanks for being so incredibly consistent...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally got a reservationJoJoDined on 11/4/2014Wood Tavern is not a place you can get a spontaneous reservation. Even 2 weeks out is difficult if you want a specific time. Fortunately, my group of 3 was OK to eat at 5:30 and we had a great dinner. We had a window table (lively street scene) and shared 3 appetizers and 1 entree, leaving room for 2 desserts!! We only had one glass of wine each. The food was fabulous and the service appropriate. We never felt pressure to order more, drink more, etc. We ordered just what we wanted to eat, were full and happy. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Surprisingly disappointingKateVIPDined on 11/3/2014We had looked forward to eating dinner here. My husband had had some good lunches and particularly enjoyed the fish stew. So we both ordered it. Not interesting, not flavorful, not delicious. The burrata and arugula appetizer was the same. If give it all a C not the A we expected.Special Features:
- Cal81foodieDined on 10/30/2014Exceptional meal, service, and ambiance ! Truly a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently DeliciousYumaliciousVIPDined on 10/30/2014I almost never order chicken as I can easily make it at home, but I actually CRAVE the pan roasted chicken at Wood Tavern. I don't get to find here often, because if I don't plan ahead and reserve they are generally packed and I don't like to wait. Otherwise, I'd be here once a week. Ribeye, soups, Spring lamb, halibut are all to die for. French fries are the thin cut with herbs - the sandwiches are great too, but I don't love the harder roll for the burger (I like a classic soft bun). Service - so good. A really well oiled machine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food but a little too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/28/2014Everything about our dinner was superb, but the restaurant is too loud to carry on a conversation. So, if you want fabulous food and are happy to smile and nod with your dinner companions, please, go enjoy. I will return for the pleasure of the service and the food.Special Features:
- Good RestaurantJamesVIPDined on 10/27/2014Everything was great EXCEPT the sound level. We almost got up and walked out because the sound level was so loud. Otherwise the food and service were really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Can bit a bit full and loud, but is always delicious.Special Features:
- Wood TavernCCCHDined on 10/25/2014A little too noisy to for me and I like more space between tables. Great cocktails, nice wine. The food was excellent. I ordered pasta which was excellent, but I found portion on the small side especially for $18.00. After eating the pasta I was still hungry so I ordered the arugula and black mission fig salad which was fabulous. I'm not big on figs but I love arugula. The combination of figs, arugula, bacon and that vinaigrette made me happy. My friend got the pastrami sandwich which is always a winner here. I just have to say this again, in comparison to my friend who had the pastrami sandwich with french fries, the pasta was puny. I have been to Wood Tavern several times and I will come back however I wasn't happy with that portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VirginiaDined on 10/25/2014Fun people frequent the location. Lots of energy, but lots of noise. It would be nice to be seated if you arrive early and have a reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingly consistentGeorgeVIPDined on 10/25/2014Wood has been my go-to place whenever I have friends in town or not! Food is consistently outstanding, service is personal and warm, and everyone there - guests and hosts - seems to be having a great time. The menu shifts over time enough to keep things interesting. Wonderful restaurant!Special Features:
- Great Burger!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014The burger is amazing, however it took 45 minutes to get it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious Manhattan!Lori925Dined on 10/24/2014We ordered a Manhattan while we waited for our table - it was delish! I ordered the B.L.T. and my bf ordered the burger and both were outstanding. We can't wait to go back. I recommend making reservations...it was still packed at 1:30 PM for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLocalDudeDined on 10/22/2014Parking was all but non existent as there is only open street parking in one of the busier parts of town. My pastrami sandwich was almost inedible because of the salt content; tested like a salt-lick, very little pastrami taste. And they served two paltry chips of pickle with it. The service was very good, but not spectacular; no extras were offered. Finally, the noise level was outrageously loud and certainly not conducive to chatting among friends at the table. If it were available I would have marked Noise Level as "super energetic." We'll not be going here again.
- Excellent for lunchNewAlbionOmnivoreDined on 10/21/2014Had the pastrami sandwich for lunch. My guest had the burger. Both very good. Service also very good. Fairly noisy.Special Features:
- Excellent Dinner for Adults & TeenDV50Dined on 10/20/2014We got a table near the window which was quite nice. Even though this place features grilled meats, we ordered the Seafood Stew. It was delicious. Nice fresh prawns and perfectly cooked white fish in a spicy and flavorful broth. The presentation of the Gem Salad was beautiful. The noise level was fairly high but not oppressive, more like "jolly."Special Features:
- lively! Tasty !Good VibesSavarinDined on 10/18/2014Friendly & Fun. Far too noisy for conversation but possible. Chicken , as usual, outstanding. I had steak frites..Frites excellent but steak was tough and flavor not up to par that day. Best chicken ever. Friendly , accommodating service . Steak tough but frites super. Noise level is a downer but food & service and food compensate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeEaterVIPDined on 10/18/2014What a pleasure to go to a restaurant that is well run in addition to churning out excellent food...top marks in all categories!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great last-minute lunchAlwaysOnTheRoadDined on 10/17/2014A friend recommended this wonderful place on our way to Napa. The salmon salad, service, pastrami and a spicy Woody made the beginning of our weekend great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing dinnerfoodie16Dined on 10/15/2014we had a delicious dinner. The duck breast with wild rice, Jimmy Nardello peppers and broccoli rage was cooked perfectly. Halibut was moist in side and had a delicate crust. Rose of Pinot Noir was right on and not sweet which is what I wanted. Coconut cake w/ passionfruit and white chocolate pastry creme was outstanding,Special Features:
- No Body does it better!BennyVIPDined on 10/8/2014I'm once again perched at the Wood Tavern Bar with the swivel seats. This high end joint is starting it's low buzz! It's 5:30. Small bar is jammed as reservation seated diners take their place. The staff have been around forever and their conviviality is genuine. "It's good to see you again" is not made up. Doting and friendly bartenders joke and laugh and make everyone feel special. Pork belly salad was plentiful, crispy with frissee and dotted with figs. Their pastrami slathered with hot mustard and cheese on French bread is enough for two. But you will take the rest home for yourself!! The best thing about "The Wood" is the long time staffers who make the experience fun and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014It's our neighborhood favorite. You feel comforted here like as of you were with family. It's out go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the whole packageOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014The food is great, from start to finish. The service is perfect. The menus are lovely. All of the wine's by the glass are thoughtful, especially the ability to have a glass of J. LaSalle champagne is a real treat. The room is a small beauty. We are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in OaklandFrannieDined on 10/1/2014I discovered Wood Tavern a few years ago when looking for a special restaurant to take my son for his birthday. Luckily I found Wood Tavern and frequent it as often as I can when I go to Oakland. Although a bit on the pricey side, it is well worth it as they have outstanding service, excellent food, a wonderful wine list and a fun likely atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as AlwaysRat6880VIPDined on 9/30/2014I've always enjoyed my dining experiences at Wood Tavern. The food is delicious and the service is great. My only complaint is that it's loud.Special Features:
- Dinner ServicecatalogingcaliDined on 9/28/2014Upon entering, took quite a bit of time to be greeted. After being seated, same. When we ordered and got our food, it was great. Had the gnocchi appetizer. It was excellent, homemade and light. Also had pork belly with lentil, good but the smokiness of the lentil over powered crisp pork belly. For mains had fish stew. The broth was well.cooked and seasoned. Portion a little small. I had the Ribeye. Meat was noticeably soft and tender. However, one side was very gristle. Not really a fan of the peppert demi glace. All in all, good meal. Staff seems a bit full of themselves. They are a popular neighborhood restaurant, however you're only as good as your customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Was surprised by the so so level of service of the wait staff. After getting our drinks, the waitress asked, "Would you like to order?" Didn't even ask us if we had questions about the menu, no small talk. Likewise, after our appetizer and our entree were delivered, we were left alone without any follow-up. Not even the customary, "how is everything?", Can I get you anything else?, etc. It was a very busy Saturday lunch and even though we had a reservation, we had to wait to be seated. When that happens, I would expect to be offered a complimentary beverage or something. The lack of attention was notable.
- Wood return to this one!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014Celebrated our son's 28th Birthday and had a wonderful meal...Rib eye very good, duck good but needed a veg or something, pork chop was the biggest hit. Will be back.Special Features:
- Great foodseafoodVIPDined on 9/18/2014My husband and I tried the Wood Tavern for lunch and it was wonderful. The staff was great and attentive. The Food was amazing. We had the beef and lentil soup and it was beyond our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMannyDined on 9/16/2014The food was exceptional and service very good. Very close quarters, very noisy - difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatBayareablondeDined on 9/12/2014The food here is never disappointing. Best time to come is first seating 11:30.Special Features:
- Exceptionally deliciousShadysideDined on 9/11/2014Consistently top-notch in every respect, Wood Tavern offers superior value. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but it's one of the few "pricey" restaurants that delivers more than what you're paying for. That's right, diners get more than their due--from the friendly and impeccable service, the beauty and spotlessness of the rooms, to the freshness and creativity of the food.Special Features:
- Great lunchChinaDined on 9/8/2014Delicious food and fabulous cocktails, very friendly and accommodating especially since we were 30 minutes late for our res, only downside is it's very noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodHappyValentineDined on 9/6/2014The food is delicious. It's a meat heavy menu so I don't think most vegetarians would be happy with the selection. I would eat here more if it wasn't so hard to get it.Special Features:
- fabulous foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/3/2014I am never disappointed with the food at wood tavern. Ribeye steak is always delicious. Had the best dessert ever, blueberry cheesecake sundae. It was amazingly smooth and velvety. Best food in Oakland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in Every WayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Every time we go to Berkeley we try to dine at Wood Tavern and we have never been disappointed. The food is simple but always prepared perfectly. The core of the menu stays the same but every time they have one or two new item done to perfection. It doesn't cater to families but we always bring our daughter and it is her favorite restaurant. We especially appreciate the service which is always knowledgeable and warm.Special Features: